Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Delistings/trades at end of the season

My solution.

Each club younger than 20 years can have an academy, each club over twenty years old gets father son.

Every five years each club can have a max of three picks from F/S or academy for free. They can use these all in one year or spread them out depending on the talent coming through. The five years is a rolling five years.

If a club want more than the three picks then they can have one per year, which would be governed by the rules as they were, i.e they can't get them for their last pick and would need to pay close to market price for them.

This sounds complex but is actually fairly simple and allows for forward planning by all clubs, and removes the disadvantages of having F/S coming through or academies.

I fear clubs will get involved in Family Planning.

I fear clubs will get involved in Family Planning.

They need to work out how to make sure of the sex of the child first. If society gets to the point a club can mandate that their players only have boys then that is the day I stop wanting to be part of it.

Edited by Chris

It's hard to work out what happened on Saturday. Was it Ablett? Was it the Suns being resilient after an awful week? Was it North Melbourne not bothering to turn up, or just being found out?

I suspect we'll have a clearer idea in a few weeks.

or was it all of this?

I heard Mark Robinson saying that Prestia might be angling for a move away from GC, and that with a year on his contract he may even use the "unsafe workplace" argument in relation to the club drug culture.

No destinations were specified, but I bet his family would be angling pretty hard to get him to MFC.

My biggest worry is list balance. We simply can't have too many small mids.

Hopefully Tyson, Vanders, Petracca & Brayshaw provide enough size.

can't have too many good midfielders in our cap. go for broke I say.

Can't agree. Prestia wins most of his ball on the inside , which has affected his DE stats, but has a thumping kick.

Can go outside too, but GCS have been light on for inside mids, so Prestia has exclusively played inside. His burst speed is very good.

Hasn't kicked a lot of goals, but has kicked important ones for GC (is a better kick on the run than set shot though).

Prestia's probably been the Sun's second best mid over the last three years, and one of the few that stepped up in Gary's absence last year.

Don't worry too much about his height. It was supposed to see him drop in his draft year, but he still went at pick 9 and has been one of the best performed players of the 2010 draft class. If anything, his value might have appreciated, or at worst held. Certainly has not depreciated.

yep, & prestia & gaff would have been handy handy acquisitions draft or since opportunities... one gone begging now for us.. get prestia now while opportunity knox

Out:

Bail

Terlich

M Jones

Jamar (retired)

Fitzpatrick

Howe (hopefully trade)

Trengove

McKenzie

Riley

Hunt

White

Grimes

Trengove just got re-signed for 2016.

So, nah.

And what do you think we would get talent-wise using ~10 picks in the draft?

You'll probably name them in a similar list to get rid of in 12 months time.

• Like 3

Trengove just got re-signed for 2016.

So, nah.

...and in what's considered a shallow draft.

• Like 2

I'd prefer doing that, replacing players known to be sub-afl standard with unknowns. As opposed to keeping list cloggers, who won't take us forward.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Out:

Bail

Terlich

M Jones

Jamar (retired)

Fitzpatrick

Howe (hopefully trade)

Trengove

McKenzie

Riley

Hunt

White

Grimes

The four players below are contracted for 2016. At best only Grimes would be a possible trade. We did delist and pay out Evans when he had a contract for 2015, but not many clubs make a habit of that.

Trengove 22, Grimes 25, M Jones 27, Terlich 25,

I think Bail, Jamar, McKenzie and Riley are almost certain delist / retire. Fitzpatrick keeps teasing, he has pace and height and his role in defence has worked well at Casey and in one AFL game, I would say still a chance to be retained. I don't know enough about Hunt, but it will definitely be a question of what potential the club can see in him between now and end of season. White - first year rookie, again don't know enough, but I would imagine our recruiting team probably need some space to try and pick the next VB or / Harmes for us.

I am a very infrequent poster on Demonland. One thing I would say is that I would definitely give Cross one more year. I said to him today that I would like to see him run around again. He said to me "Tell Roosy". He is keen.

It worries me a lot that Vandenberg says that Cross is the most professional person at the club. It does not say a lot for anyone else there. Cross is definitely worth another contract, even if he plays 11 games at Casey and 11 with the Seniors. We still need good solid citizens and blokes who don't panic. It was his kick last year to Salem that won us the game against Essendon.

• Like 5

I am a very infrequent poster on Demonland. One thing I would say is that I would definitely give Cross one more year. I said to him today that I would like to see him run around again. He said to me "Tell Roosy". He is keen.

It worries me a lot that Vandenberg says that Cross is the most professional person at the club. It does not say a lot for anyone else there. Cross is definitely worth another contract, even if he plays 11 games at Casey and 11 with the Seniors. We still need good solid citizens and blokes who don't panic. It was his kick last year to Salem that won us the game against Essendon.

This isn't topic related... but surely you must get annoyed typing your username everytime you log in??

Love it

• Like 2

Or it says a lot for Crossy. He'll go around again. I would be staggered if he didn't.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 3

Something tells me, unless a lot of injuries hit, we won't ever see Bail or M Jones in the red and blue jumper again.

Or "Skills" Jordy! and Terlich!

Edited by picket fence

It worries me a lot that Vandenberg says that Cross is the most professional person at the club. It does not say a lot for anyone else there.

Bizarre thing to say.

Crossy was well known to be the most professional player at the Doggies too.

• Like 1

Out:

Bail

Terlich

M Jones

Jamar (retired)

Fitzpatrick

Howe (hopefully trade)

Trengove

McKenzie

Riley

Hunt

White

Grimes

Interesting list but I suspect it's not the year for wholesale changes - we have done that already for past two years and this year's draft apparently lacks depth/quality.

Pulling apart your list the following seem strange:

Trengove - while we all know Roosy considered shipping him to Richmond last season, he has gone on record saying how impressed he is with his attitude. It would be downright nasty to axe him given his injuries. Obviously if his foot shows no sign of healing, then he's a potential retirement. But injury and AFL rotations permitting, he should be a very handy recruit next season.

White - So far he's impressed as a first-year rookie and we lack left-foot defenders. He'll get another year to see if he progresses.

Grimes - As with Trengove, it would be incredibly nasty to terminate him. I actually still really rate his smarts and think he is well worth keeping.

Hunt - He is two more solid VFL games from being kept. Unlike most players he has an asset (pace) which makes normal rules go out the door.

The following are questionable

Bail or Matt Jones - I suspect unless there is a couple of really worthwhile uncontracted players options available, then we will see at least one of these guys retained. Both work hard, even if their disposal lacks punch.

Riley - As with the above two, he may yet be kept - will depend on quality of UP.

Fitzy - I thought he should have been delisted last year but provided he has good runners around him and doesn't play tunnelball again, I really am liking him as a back-up tall.

The following are on the money

Jamar - Gawn's game down at Geelong ended any chance of the Russian being kept for another season.

Terlich - Yes he is contracted, but read between the lines of the VFL reports and you will know he's on the outer.

McKenzie - A great loyal citizen who works as hard as anyone, but his disposal skills unfortunately have brought about his demise. Hope Casey recruits him.

The following may happen

Howe - Yes he may want out, but if he does it will only be via a similar like-for-like trade - as per Clark/Lumumba/Varcoe. Have faith in Roosy to get the right return if he does go.

The following you missed

Pedo/Dawes - When you look at our list profile, we are top heavy in the 27-28 yo bracket and we can't justify both of these blokes, particularly when you have Frost as the first choice of the three. I'm tipping that one will be given a surprise nudge and given Pedo isn't contracted he may be the sacrifice - although he could be redrafted as a rookie if no better back-up tall option emerges.

Michie - He dominates VFL as the clever clearance player but at AFL level he's too small and not quite fast enough to have the same impact. We now have too many good midfielders to keep him. Sure we have been lucky that Vince and Nat Jones haven't been injured, but Angus, Vanders and Neal-Bullen are champing at the bit to get a shot in the middle - so that leaves Viv well back in the pecking order.

Toump - He still has a tiny bit of currency, so his name will come up - the question will be whether anyone really wants him. I'll tip that he's kept for one more year.

As to rookie list - second-year rookies Harmes and King will be upgraded (both subject to dramatic loss of form in final 8 weeks).

So out:

Jamar, Terlich, McKenzie, Michie, one of Bail/Jones, one of Pedo/Dawes.

In: 4 national draft picks plus 2 rookies to replace upgraded Harmes and King.

If a strong UP comes up, then either the Bail/M Jones leftover goes, Riley goes or Toump is traded.

Howe is a separate deal that may not even eventuate but will not effect above.

I'd prefer doing that, replacing players known to be sub-afl standard with unknowns. As opposed to keeping list cloggers, who won't take us forward.

Well, no, that list of around 10 deletions have a few AFL standard role players that when you get rid and go to the draft and draft poorly you end up with what we have already experienced when we did this from 2007 to 2011...

Been there, done that.

Bitter experience tells me - you can have too many kids.

• Like 2

I think we can safely assume that Terlich is getting delisted given he hasn't once cracked in for a game, not even when our injury list was a complete mess

Apart from him, I wouldn't assume anything.

Matt Jones bring more than Ro Bail in my opinion because of his supreme leg speed and also his inside ability. He isn't great, but as far as depth goes, he probably will give you more than pick 98 in the draft