Casey Scorpions v Richmond

KC from Casey

I'm not sure as to whether it was such a good idea for Billy Stretch to be made the emergency for today's game because if he doesn't get a run, he could also miss out next week (Casey has a bye). Given that he was the sub, the week before, he's not getting much footy in lately.

Also, with that bye, it probably explains why Nev Jetta and Jack Viney have been pushed hard at training - they might be called straight into the AFL without much match practice.

They are in our top 10 players at the club, they can straight back in i recon.

I'm not sure as to whether it was such a good idea for Billy Stretch to be made the emergency for today's game because if he doesn't get a run, he could also miss out next week (Casey has a bye). Given that he was the sub, the week before, he's not getting much footy in lately.

Also, with that bye, it probably explains why Nev Jetta and Jack Viney have been pushed hard at training - they might be called straight into the AFL without much match practice.

Yes. Probably poor planning re Stretch. Very little game time for weeks on end. Unless that is a planned part of his management, somehow.

The VFL byes have been a blight for quite a few years. IIRC last year there was a bye then a state round so some had no footy for three weeks. Not the best for development

Some good footballers have played VFL 2's.

The club are doing the right thing by Casey by not loading up the forward line with Gawn, King, Jamar etc.

King constantly comes last in our running. He's a very very raw athlete. But he's also right up there with the best kicks I've ever seen for a 200cm + guy and can take a grab.

No point being too excited about his Development League form but no reason to be negative either. There's no hurry with him. We can afford 1 rookie spot on a project player. I think he's worth keeping for next year and that will be the year where he has to play VFL seniors and perform.

Yes, but he is a long long long way off making his debut, let alone actually having an impact at AFL level......I would prefer our rookies to be playing VFL so he competes with better defenders, then we can further judge how good he is or is going to be.
  • Like 1

It is never a bad thing for kids to get a rest in modern footy. They do so much work. I don't think Stretch will lose out too much if he doesn't go around this week - and next week. He can still put in that work on the track. Could do with the freshen up. Not the worst thing to happen IMO.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 4

You said it rjay.

I can see why they've tried to get him to play this role. Sure it'd be great if we can have a 208cm ruckman who's also capable of playing forward. And given Spencer & Jamar aren't much use forward, it works for Casey better if Max is up there. But given Gawn's the one with the most upside & natural ability, we really should be trying to fast track his ruck work as quickly as possible. And the best way to do that is you guessed it..... In the ruck.

In all honesty, I hope for the rest of the year we see Gawn playing ruck at Melbourne with one of Jamar or Spence rucking for Casey. Get King to play the forward/ruck role with Casey and the one of Jamar/Spencer that misses out with the Scorps can play development league.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should get Gawn rucking for Melbourne asap but you must be joking in suggesting that Jamar play in the Development League! Edited by CBDees

I agree wholeheartedly that we should get Gawn rucking for Melbourne asap but you must be joking in suggesting that Jamar play in the Develop,net League!

Yeah maybe not Jamar, would be a bad way to go out.

Spencer wouldn't be out of place though.

Thanks again to KC for providing his regular match day updates. greatly appreciated champ :)

• Like 7

Yeah maybe not Jamar, would be a bad way to go out.

Spencer wouldn't be out of place though.

Maybe you should rethink your views on Spencil also after yesterday's performance?

SCORPIONS FREEZE OUT TIGERS by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions reignited their finals hopes after suffering two disappointing defeats on the trot with a comfortable win over Richmond under lights at Casey Fields last night.

Melbourne's outer south east can be inhospitable territory to visitors at the best of times but when it's freezing cold and only a couple of weeks away from the onset of winter, it can be downright unfriendly. The Scorpions gave their opponents no quarter as they led for most of the night before turning on the afterburners with a stunning seven goal final quarter.

What made the victory even more meritorious was the fact that the Scorpions were down to a year's low of 9 AFL listed players and they lost ruckman Mark Jamar to a knock in the second quarter. Last year, that scenario would have been a complete disaster but thanks to some astute recruiting and the development of some of the younger Casey listed players, the Scorpions stood up to the Tigers and were not intimidated by their greater experience. Only four of the team's goals were kicked by Demons and three of those were booted by Big Max Gawn who stepped up to fill the rucking duties with Jamar's injury. Gawn's proficiency in the ruck duels constantly gave his onballers first use of the ball from the stoppages.

Tim Smith kicked the opening goal after a fluid passage of play and after an even quarter, second gamer Jordan Moncrieff goalled after the siren to give the home team a seven point lead at the first break.

Mitch White made that 13 points when he scored early but the Tigers regrouped for two goals and the game was an arm wrestle for a while until three consecutive majors for the Scorps gave them a handy 18 point break at half time.

The game became a slog after the main break with plenty of mistakes and skill errors and there was still plenty left in the game at three quarter time with the Scorps leading by only 14 points. An early goal to the Tigers breathed an air of tension into the game but it was short lived. With another second gamer Bayley Fritsch getting in the goals and the tireless Gawn chiming in for some late ones, Casey romped home to win by 44 points and earn the rest which comes with next week's bye. From a Demon's viewpoint the club would be happy with the continuing development of youngsters Alex Neal-Bullen who was strong at the clearances, Mitch White whose disposal by foot was superb and Oscar McDonald who worked hard all night. Viv Michie and Dean Terlich were also good while Jordie McKenzie was strong in the contests.

Casey would also be delighted with the way its VFL list is developing.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 3.4.22 7.6.48 8.9.57 15.13.103

Richmond Tigers 2.13.15 4.6.30 6.7.43 8.11.59

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fritsch Gawn 3 Moncrieff Smith 2 Morris Muir Petropoulos Rutherford White

Richmond Tigers Aarts Short 2 Cachia Gordon Lennon McBean

Best

Casey Scorpions Gawn Michie Terlich Neal-Bullen White Hutchins

Richmond Tigers Cachia Thomas Dea Castagna Lennon Hampson

Statistics

Max Gawn 3 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 15 kicks 6 handballs 9 marks 4 tackles 34 hit outs 152 dream team points

James Harmes 2 behinds disposals 10 kicks 4 handballs 1 mark 5 tackles 1 hit out 61 dream team points

Mark Jamar 1 behind 3 disposals 3 kicks 3 marks 3 hit outs 14dream team points [injured]

Oscar McDonald 9 disposals 6 kicks 3 handballs 6 marks 1 tackle 43 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 23 disposals 10 kicks 13 handballs 5 marks 10 tackles 96 dream team points

Viv Michie 25 disposals 19 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 10 tackles 110 dream team points

Alex Neal-Bullen 22 disposals 16 kicks 6 handballs 2 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 79 dream team points

Dean Terlich 16 disposals 14 kicks 2 handballs 8 marks 4 tackles 86 dream team points

Mitch White 1 goal 19 disposals 15 kicks 4 handballs 8 marks 5 tackles 100 dream team points

In the development league game played earlier in the day, Casey dominated proceedings and recorded another big victory. Again it was the recruits who stood out with Declan Keilty, Paul Pattison and Lucas Walmsley standing out. Joe Fisscher who was impressive when he gained senior promotion late last year booted four goals on return from injury. Tom Wyatt also booted four and Max King manager two in the goal fest.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 6.2.38 10.6.66 16.9.105 18.11.119

Northern Blues 1.2.8 2.5.17 3.5.23 5.7.37

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fisscher Wyatt 4 King Rennie Waters 2 Anderson Hannon Hillard Lang

Northern Blues Walton 3 Murray Stevens

Best

Casey Scorpions Keilty Pattison K Wilson Wyatt J McDonald Walmsley

Northern Blues Soncin Johnston Cattapan Stevens Gleeson

'bout time to see gawn pull his finger out... time is closing in on him but if he can do this week in week out he may still have something to smile about.

it seems he's been treading water for too long.

I hope in the spirit of sharing resources with Casey we can get this young fella in to the MFC communications staff (yes my favourite friends, hello guys if you're reading) and teach him a bit about video work.

If he's interviewing Gawny or any other tall footballer he should find himself a box to stand on.

Hold the mic up a bit more

Get a sponsors back board (surely Casey have one/can afford one)

Get a few questions to ask from Burgo (although I thought he asked good questions).

Simple stuff to just improve his videos a bit. The graphic at the start is pretty slick.

He might be unlucky playing his best game in the VFL last week when Jake played so well for Melbourne.

Good to see Max play well, he needs a few more runs as the number one ruck before he is ready to come up though I would think.

• Like 1

Maybe you should rethink your views on Spencil also after yesterday's performance?

Yep, full credit to Spencer on sunday, he played very well after the first 10-15min. Lets hope for his and all our sakes that he can maintain that form.

Yep, full credit to Spencer on sunday, he played very well after the first 10-15min. Lets hope for his and all our sakes that he can maintain that form.

The only problem I see with this game is in the first half he played on Ayce Cordy who has been getting thumped at AFL level and in the second half Roughead who is not a recognised ruckman. That said, his competitiveness is what he excels at and if he can continue his efforts around the ground and break even in the ruck contest then that is a good result.

Bit more of a challenge facing Lobbe and Ryder.

Really good to see that White is improving at the level, could well be a player of real importance in years to come (even if he is a rookie at current) due to his good disposal coming out of the back half.

• Like 1

Yep, if Spence plays like that every week he will be our best ruckman. His centre clearance work and pinopint passing to the fwd line was fantastic!

He might be unlucky playing his best game in the VFL last week when Jake played so well for Melbourne.

My belief is that Gawn still has the best skillset of the ruckman on our list but has been very inconsistent.

Jake Spencer was great on Sunday - what I really liked was that he got involved outside ruck contests which has been a Jamar problem.

We need one of them ( both of them ?) to step up.

My belief is that Gawn still has the best skillset of the ruckman on our list but has been very inconsistent.

Jake Spencer was great on Sunday - what I really liked was that he got involved outside ruck contests which has been a Jamar problem.

We need one of them ( both of them ?) to step up.

I've got a feeling that Gawn is similar to Stef Martin in that he responds to responsibility. I'd love to see him as our lone ruckman and see how he goes.

Even after the weekend, I'm not sold on Spencer - the Bulldogs have a serious issue in the ruck and he capitalised but I don't expect it to continue. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

IMO Spencer's dominance was unrelated to the other ruck, it was about how he attacked the footy once it hit the ground. He used his strength and athleticism to win ground balls against other mids.

If he keeps attack the contest like that, taking the game on and kicking to the first option when he gets the ball (instead of holding it to look for a handball) he will be successful.

A bigger stronger better ruck may negate him somewhat but his attack will still be effective where he had the right position.

• Like 1

IMO Spencer's dominance was unrelated to the other ruck, it was about how he attacked the footy once it hit the ground. He used his strength and athleticism to win ground balls against other mids.

Not to mention, laying plenty of tackles. A handy attribute for someone who's in the thick of every stoppage.