Play Jeremy Howe as a forward

Howe can't play deep forward, that's the problem. He gets blocked way too easily from the contest and is totally ineffective.

Personally I think he is better value as a HHF who can drift up and back, but on this years form that might be at Casey.

Was blocked when in attack and in contests keep him deep and one on one. If he is taking on two then one of his teammates is free

There are many ways to counter ineffectiveness. Didnt notice him being blocked when he was clearing and marking in defence

Was blocked when in attack and in contests keep him deep and one on one. If he is taking on two then one of his teammates is free

There are many ways to counter ineffectiveness. Didnt notice him being blocked when he was clearing and marking in defence

Different area of the ground and he is open down there. We can't just isolate Howe one on one in the forward line, the oppo would drop someone back to take the intercept while he's wrestling with a stronger opponent, this is what's happened before when we have tried it.

With the numbers coming back into the zone we don't have a free to spot up, not the we hit the target anyway & apart from Hogan there is no other legit target.

Let Howe push up the ground and drift down forward, he will be much more effective in this role.

I agree with everyone. He has been more than average down back. He has been exposed this year and does'nt have the intensity to play this role.

It looks like if he continues this way he won't be at Melbourne this year so I agree that he probably should go. But we can't do anything about that until the end of the year.

I think play him at HF or even CHF. Chris Dawes should be dropped or given a break (as Roos said in the last press conference, Dawes isn't moving well and clearly not playing well enough).

Howe can mark and get into space on the wings. Melbourne were'nt able to get any deep forward entries at all on the weekend (Dawes and others marking outside 50 and out wide). Having a good mark in this area is really important to get the ball into Jesse and [Pedersen].

With him and Watt's at HF they should have a strict focus on creating more inside 50's for Melbourne and keeping it in there as well.

Edited by constantmongrel

What is the better option. I don't disagree he has gone downhill since mid last year, but if we get rid of him how do we move forward?

In many ways Dunn is a bigger disappointment than Howe. We have never seen Howe play to his full potential. Another Sylvia in the making. Dunn proved he can play. He was supposed to be a cornerstone of our stillborn revival which looked like happening mid last season. We can forget about that now. Trade him too. We can't be any worse at the moment without him.

Edited by america de cali

Different area of the ground and he is open down there. We can't just isolate Howe one on one in the forward line, the oppo would drop someone back to take the intercept while he's wrestling with a stronger opponent, this is what's happened before when we have tried it.

With the numbers coming back into the zone we don't have a free to spot up, not the we hit the target anyway & apart from Hogan there is no other legit target.

Let Howe push up the ground and drift down forward, he will be much more effective in this role.

How shouldn't be wrestling with a stronger opponent if he is a 3rd stringer deep forward AND we have both Hulk & Dawes taking the opps 2 strongest opponents. Dawes should be the one pushing up and drifitng into the forward 50 as a KP CHF not Howe's role to do that.

However, If Hulk/Dawes arent both in the line up together, then I agree Howe would end up being out muscled with the loose man intercepting too often and would be better placed elsewhere.

we cannot continue with Howe as a defender.

He lacks intensity. He lacks a solid tackle.

He is dangerous forward. Let him have 2-3 weeks forward or else he is on the trade table.

Agreed. Our defence is bleeding an average of 3 plus goals a game more than last year. The present defensive line up (with Howe in it) isnt working. If something is worse and isnt working and you wish to keep the same line up on the park due to lack of options at Casey, at least trial all alternatives over a reasonable time frame so that players can settle and learn their roles and get some confidence/trust in one another.

And im not convinced it will work either. Worth a try though as long as its not 1 isolated week where no one, including Howe the other 2 main forwards and our midfield, have a chance to adjust and settle into the new structure.

Edited by Rusty Nails

How shouldn't be wrestling with a stronger opponent if he is a 3rd stringer deep forward AND we have both Hulk & Dawes taking the opps 2 strongest opponents. Dawes should be the one pushing up and drifitng into the forward 50 as a KP CHF not Howe's role to do that.

However, If Hulk/Dawes arent both in the line up together, then I agree Howe would end up being out muscled with the loose man intercepting too often and would be better placed elsewhere.

Agreed. Our defence is bleeding an average of 3 plus goals a game more than last year. The present defensive line up (with Howe in it) isnt working. If something is worse and isnt working and you wish to keep the same line up on the park due to lack of options at Casey, at least trial all alternatives over a reasonable time frame so that players can settle and learn their roles and get some confidence/trust in one another.

And im not convinced it will work either. Worth a try though as long as its not 1 isolated week where no one, including Howe the other 2 main forwards and our midfield, have a chance to adjust and settle into the new structure.

Forget Dawes, the opposition do.

• Like 1

That won't increase his trade value.

Hopefully Howe has a good back half of the year.

To hell with trade value, i want us to field players' that can contibute to us winning, Howe has very little influence (if any) in almost all of our games. His greatest impact this year has been against us, when he decided to stick his knee into Jetta's head against the Tiges.

Subsequently, Howe has done nothing since and Nev's absence has without a doubt hurt us. Thanks again Jeremy!

We look a lot more dangerous with Howe up forward, as he must be a nightmare match up for the opposition.

At one stage I saw the Bulldogs trying to stop Howes run and had two on Hogan which left Pederson free to run in a goal.

I think the forward line was perfectly balanced tonight with Howe, Hogan, Pederson and Garlett always looking a threat.

No sure where Dawes fits in as when he doesn't clunk them the opposition can easily run the ball away, whereas Howe, Pederson and Hogan are all in excellent marking form.

• Like 2

How many did he kick? His problem is finishing

I was right behind both his banana kicks that did not look like it.

On the angle and distance a traditional kick was the way to go.

There was room and he is a right footer.

Neither of the shots were more than difficult kicked in the traditional manner.

I can understand it his action if was on the other side or the angle was more difficult.

none from two was poor.

• Like 1

Still many rounds to go, and he was a little better today, but I'm still yet to be convinced his value in keeping is greater than his trade value. Put him in a package with out first round pick and we might just get something special. Might....

I was right behind both his banana kicks that did not look like it.

On the angle and distance a traditional kick was the way to go.

There was room and he is a right footer.

Neither of the shots were more than difficult kicked in the traditional manner.

I can understand it his action if was on the other side or the angle was more difficult.

none from two was poor.

Yep. Poor choices. That kick is for tight angles within 30m.

But in some regards at least he was consistently wrong. A coach should explain it to him and he should work it out that if he's too far out then that kick doesn't make sense.

Anyway, to completely buck the trend I think Howe is a wingman! He's a between the arcs player who has good endurance, great hands, and can kick the ball. He defends well at times, he can get lost forward. It's a matter of getting him in the game.

I'm sick of the trade/contract stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm inclined that he'll stay if we are a viable team and he's found a niche for himself. There's not really anything to gain speculating or assassinating his character for no reason.

Most players are more comfortable in a set position, but Howe might be the rare type who just needs a challenge to do a particular role each week whether it's forward, back or on a wing.

• Like 1