Post Match Discussion, Pontification and Prayer

Demonland

Oh dear I just seen the scores. I don't think I should watch the game on my AFL Live account this week.

• Like 3

I saw a loss coming. I saw a big loss coming. But I didn't see that coming.

The skill errors hurt us early but the complete falling apart of the entire side (except McDonald, Pedersen and Garlett) was marked, and disgraceful.

Tyson's fourth quarter indicated to me that he isn't injured. Which makes his first three quarters, and his whole start to the year really, awful.

Dunn has lost all the gains he made last year, Vince isn't impacting games anywhere near as much as he is capable of, Lumumba at least tries to take the game on when he gets it but just isn't getting involved, and Howe is embarrassing.

These are the players that, with a list like ours, we simply cannot afford to have down on output. When they're up and about we are going to be able to play good, competitive football, and we'll be able to carry Bail, M Jones, Spencer, Stretch, Grimes and Toumpas and let them develop properly. But when they play lazy, disinterested, selfish, me-first, weak, soft, stupid football, we will get beaten by pretty much every other club.

As for Roos, today's performance suggests he is failing in what has to be one of his key indicators, which is getting the senior, core players to become consistent good footballers. Not that there's a lot to be done against Hawthorn, but his matchday coaching leaves plenty to be desired (he brought in the loose man in defence in the first quarter. I mean, seriously). There's a lot of hyperbolic rubbish being flung around about him, and the simple fact is that the terrible jobs done during the Bailey and Neeld eras set this club back a long, long way, but if we aren't capable of at least putting the 100-point losses behind us, then Roos is not doing as well as he should be.

• Like 3

And it's really the midfield we need to improve and get games into the younger blokes that are already on board (Hogan, Salem, Tyson, Brayshaw, Stretch and Petracca).

This is part of the problem at MFC (and the other cellar dwellers). We get kids with potential and want to throw them to the wolves straight away. Shiels at Hawthorn as a for instance played a heap at Box Hill and was developed over time. We don't develop we just wear them out. I know teams like the hawks have truckloads of depth and they have had the time. We have not had stability in coaching and resemble the Italian Parliament. This is where the problems in our development process starts, no long term plan and demand for instant success following another change in coach. That's why I was hoping Roos Goodwin would work. Roos has nothing on the line (like say Malthouse/Hardwick etc). He should have been be able to take the three years to improve his squad but he has fallen into yoyo changes. In one week, out the next, in the next is poor. I can understand Watts saying he wants to play at Casey rather than be the sub. Goodes said and did the same thing.

Back to the LIIT

• Like 1

I have rarely berated players on this forum in my near decade here. I've always thought if you've gotnothing good to say about someone say nothing, that ends here. I'm sick of these pea hearted maggots disgracing the jumper I love, so here goes.

Jeremy Howe can just fcuk off now. I'm sick of padding out the resume of scumbags who take our money, give no effort and then walk at the end of the year. Delist him now, play him at Casey, whatever, just never make me watch this [censored] give his half arsed efforts in the red and blue ever again.

Someone put a fork in Grimes, he's done. We need to add a career consultant to our coaching staff because a lot of these blokes will be looking for a new job in October.

Spencer isn't a footballer or an athlete and he's light years away from being an AFL standard ruckman. I'd [censored] this spud in a contest and I'm in my 40's. Jamar is bog ordinary but he's a million times better than Jake.

What exactly does Dawes offer? Getting us to minimum salary cap spend is about it. Matt Jones, Michie, Pigdog, Toumpas and Bail aren't up to it, all must go at years end.

Crossy has a crack but time is catching up, the fact he has a crack puts him ahead of half our list but the end is coming for him.

Lumumba caught Melbournitis quicker than most of our recruits. We usually get one decent year out of mature recruits before they turn to crap. Tyson, Cross and Vince have followed the traditional route and become Melbourne standard players in year 2 here. I look forward to Garlett, Vanders and Frost all being putrid next year as is standard for our recruits.

So how do we get out of this hole? Buggered if I know, soon it'll be buggered if I care.

• Like 5

I listened to the first half on triple m radio, it sounded like we kept on turning the ball over by foot in the first term, Michie, Grimes were names I heard, Toumpas had some bad things said about him.

And there was constant criticism of our game play and style of not using the corridor.

Is that Paul Roos trying to avoid the corridor, but it seems to be happening every week so one can only assume.

Bad loss.

Before the round 1 game I was fairly confident becuase of the team that was selected (on record here with that). Essentially there was no M. Jones, Grimes, Toumpas, Bail, Spencer, Terlich and so on.

Sadly, with just a few injuries our depth is tested to the extreme and as we lose more and more players we fall away very quickly.

Our round 1 team would not have won today, but they would have been far more competitive than what was on offer today.

• Like 4

I saw a loss coming. I saw a big loss coming. But I didn't see that coming.

The skill errors hurt us early but the complete falling apart of the entire side (except McDonald, Pedersen and Garlett) was marked, and disgraceful.

Tyson's fourth quarter indicated to me that he isn't injured. Which makes his first three quarters, and his whole start to the year really, awful.

Dunn has lost all the gains he made last year, Vince isn't impacting games anywhere near as much as he is capable of, Lumumba at least tries to take the game on when he gets it but just isn't getting involved, and Howe is embarrassing.

These are the players that, with a list like ours, we simply cannot afford to have down on output. When they're up and about we are going to be able to play good, competitive football, and we'll be able to carry Bail, M Jones, Spencer, Stretch, Grimes and Toumpas and let them develop properly. But when they play lazy, disinterested, selfish, me-first, weak, soft, stupid football, we will get beaten by pretty much every other club.

As for Roos, today's performance suggests he is failing in what has to be one of his key indicators, which is getting the senior, core players to become consistent good footballers. Not that there's a lot to be done against Hawthorn, but his matchday coaching leaves plenty to be desired (he brought in the loose man in defence in the first quarter. I mean, seriously). There's a lot of hyperbolic rubbish being flung around about him, and the simple fact is that the terrible jobs done during the Bailey and Neeld eras set this club back a long, long way, but if we aren't capable of at least putting the 100-point losses behind us, then Roos is not doing as well as he should be.

agree. This match ( but not alone ) requires answers...to some very basic questions

Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said over the last 9 years.

We can only say the same thing so many times.

It's really pathetic situation we r in.

Would love to stop feeling like crapola but it's like a bad movie in that u can't stop watching. Really wish I could.

• Like 2

Jeff Kennett on Twitter

not sure how it's this boards fault. I'd have said the players and coach :rolleyes:

Travelled from Sydney for foundation heroes tonight. Even before the match I was wondering why hold on a night after a top 4 match.

They will be lucky to raise the tram fare back to the g after the event.

• Like 1

I have rarely berated players on this forum in my near decade here. I've always thought if you've gotnothing good to say about someone say nothing, that ends here. I'm sick of these pea hearted maggots disgracing the jumper I love, so here goes.

Jeremy Howe can just fcuk off now. I'm sick of padding out the resume of scumbags who take our money, give no effort and then walk at the end of the year. Delist him now, play him at Casey, whatever, just never make me watch this [censored] give his half arsed efforts in the red and blue ever again.

Someone put a fork in Grimes, he's done. We need to add a career consultant to our coaching staff because a lot of these blokes will be looking for a new job in October.

Spencer isn't a footballer or an athlete and he's light years away from being an AFL standard ruckman. I'd [censored] this spud in a contest and I'm in my 40's. Jamar is bog ordinary but he's a million times better than Jake.

What exactly does Dawes offer? Getting us to minimum salary cap spend is about it. Matt Jones, Michie, Pigdog, Toumpas and Bail aren't up to it, all must go at years end.

Crossy has a crack but time is catching up, the fact he has a crack puts him ahead of half our list but the end is coming for him.

Lumumba caught Melbournitis quicker than most of our recruits. We usually get one decent year out of mature recruits before they turn to crap. Tyson, Cross and Vince have followed the traditional route and become Melbourne standard players in year 2 here. I look forward to Garlett, Vanders and Frost all being putrid next year as is standard for our recruits.

So how do we get out of this hole? Buggered if I know, soon it'll be buggered if I care.

To be honest, I thought Grimes showed some improvement since his last game. He looked to take the game on a lot more and didn't resort to his usual first instinct which is to look backwards and sideways.

Howe at his best is really important to this club, but unfortunately at his worst he is an embarrassing, disinterested, selfish bastard. He's twice as bad as Frawley was last year.

I feel sick thinking that Spencer has been on our list since 2009. That makes this the seventh year we've been working on him. The result is just so sad. He isn't a footballer and quite obviously won't ever be one.

Lumumba and Dunn are in a tight contest for most disappointing of the year so far.

Jeff, Melbourne was runner up in the competition less than 15 years ago. Please get your facts right. And... primary school maths would tell your 2/2 simplifies to 1.

2/2 means that's the second part of his Twitter post, hence why it begins with 1/2.

well im not shocked that we lost and the reigning premiers should thrash a team like us but today we just couldnt stick a tackle and hawthorn just waltzed through us like a training drill. We couldnt handball to a player 5 metres away and we were to slow kicking the ball.

Our forward line wasnt there expect fro Pedo and Gartlett

Chris Dawes back up your words with actions. Don't shoot your mouth off and then play a horrible horrible game.

Jeremy Howe what has happened to you?

By the way I think the criticism of Nathan Jones on this site is disappointing. This guy has carried us and the midfield for the past few years. He has been the heart and soul. Give him a break. His midfield counterparts struggled today.

I just want to see how we come out next week against the dogs and see what the response is. I expect a good one and would want to see a much much better improvement.

Yes what is it about the tackling? When they tackle us it sticks and we get caught,holding the ball or it is a stoppage, however they just waltz through packs, our tackles don't stick or if they do they just keep moving forward until they can release a handball or a kick. Do you need extraordinary talent to be able to tackle? Surely not. The Hawks players seem to be not just faster, more skilled and stronger. Don't our plodders use the gym? If it is technique then why haven't we worked on something that at least you can learn even if you can't run and jump?

• Like 1

On a positive note this was the FIRST 100 point loss for ANY side in the AFL.

So we came first in something!!

Only at Melbourne.

My wish is that the players shut the hell up no media and start to talk on the field.

• Like 4

I went along today to watch the Dees play Hawthorn, but that must have been cancelled, I guess. What I saw instead was a Hawthorn training session. What was really interesting was the witches hats they were using. They were fairly large and coloured red and blue. Some of them moved occasionally but most remained stationary. What I thought was really good were the ones that, when the ball accidentally went near them, were programmed to pick it up and hand it back to a Hawthorn player. Very clever that. I wonder where we could get some of those things.

• Like 3

I went along today to watch the Dees play Hawthorn, but that must have been cancelled, I guess. What I saw instead was a Hawthorn training session. What was really interesting was the witches hats they were using. They were fairly large and coloured red and blue. Some of them moved occasionally but most remained stationary. What I thought was really good were the ones that, when the ball accidentally went near them, were programmed to pick it up and hand it back to a Hawthorn player. Very clever that. I wonder where we could get some of those things.

Get some??? Mate.... We own the factory that churns them out.

• Like 2

i really don't get it

We suck at the basics...we can hardly PLAY footy. I'm not talking about the polish that's non existent...I'm worried we just can't do the simple things. You can't build if you can't do these. Fed how many coaches,,,,how lacklustre a team what gives,

Where is the Fibre that binds the club

It's just not there. The jumper means nothing...

Where was the running, pressure, tackling we saw against the Crows and Tigers? Surely these things, based on effort, shouldn't change regardless of your opponent.

• Like 2

On a positive note this was the FIRST 100 point loss for ANY side in the AFL.

So we came first in something!!

Only at Melbourne.

My wish is that the players shut the hell up no media and start to talk on the field.

Especially Dawes...if he makes it next week that is

• Like 1

And he has had two offseason periods to get rid of then

Yet they still remain

Roos has been garbage

C'mon mate - there's only so much list turnover you can have each season - he's turned over almost half the list in two years!

• Like 2

Sadly I don't think Toumpas will ever make it, runs like his ankles are tied together.