Hogan looking great, BUT!

picket fence

His Kicking Style and technique need URGENT overhaul.

Whoever is the designated kicking coach down at the club needs to remedy his approach and style ASAP!

Stop Start Dozzy Do, Hesitation, start again Shhesh doesn't inspire too much confidence.

Needs to be remedied NOW!

Potential champion, maybe but kicking needs to be addressed!

It works for Kennedy out west

No-one loves Hogan more than me, but it's a fair critique.

He looks like he can't kick over 40 metres and he most definitely needs to fix that runup.

I'm not overly concerned and have little doubt he'll rectify his technique.

• Like 2

And has Kennedy's accuracy improved? Seems to me he used to kick a lot of goals with the stutter.

If he kicked straight in the VFL and doesn't in the AFL (noting only 3 games so far), then the issue is clearly nerves, not technique.

Soooooo...... you believe Hogan's technique is fine but he is nervous kicking for goal? Nice try sue, but no. Goal kicking 101 as illustrated by the best right footers to have played as key forwards proves this incorrect. Lockett, Dunstall and Templeton were great examples. As I said, it's not a priority ATM, but will certainly be addressed at some time.

My point about Kennedy was that he has changed his mechanical technique to improve the probability of kicking a goal. Seems to me he did pretty well last game, so it appears to be working.

Edited by Moonshadow

Soooooo...... you believe Hogan's technique is fine but he is nervous kicking for goal? Nice try sue, but no. Goal kicking 101 as illustrated by the best right footers to have played as key forwards proves this incorrect. Lockett, Dunstall and Templeton were great examples. As I said, it's not a priority ATM, but will certainly be addressed at some time.

My point about Kennedy was that he has changed his mechanical technique to improve the probability of kicking a goal. Seems to me he did pretty well last game, so it appears to be working.

I would have thought that Hogan's problem is that he is overthinking his approach. Once he settles into the pace and demands of the game at this level, he will relax and it will become second nature to him. For those who remember his season at Casey, did he have the same issue with his run-up (I suspect not)?

Personally I have no idea if his technique is or will be a problem. But forget the opinions you ascribe to me, and instead point out what is wrong with the logic of what I wrote, viz:

If he kicked straight in the VFL and doesn't in the AFL (noting only 3 games so far), then the issue is clearly nerves, not technique.

I am assuming from other posters that he did kick well in the VFL, so either say that is wrong, or show me where's the logical fault above (or to cover all logical possibilities, suggest another cause).

And one game by Kennedy is hardly good stats to base much on. Need his accuracy over more than a handful of non-stutter games to compare with his old accuracy.

• Like 1

No-one loves Hogan more than me, but it's a fair critique.

He looks like he can't kick over 40 metres and he most definitely needs to fix that runup.

I'm not overly concerned and have little doubt he'll rectify his technique.

Yea I'm also a little concerned about the penetration on his kicking. Seems like he can barely leg it 50 at the moment which is very unusual for such a powerful bloke. His field kicking is nice but once again seems to lack penetration. Maybe I just haven't witnessed it yet?

Nick Reiwold, Travis Cloke and Luke Breust are current big goal kickers who had horrendous patches in their careers where they could not hit the side of a barn at any distance. FFS he's only played three games.

Re Cloke.....had (past tense) Cloke still currently has major issues. Ed announce today that the club had employed the same sports phycologist that the Velvet Sledgehammer used a few years back.

I would have thought that Hogan's problem is that he is overthinking his approach. Once he settles into the pace and demands of the game at this level, he will relax and it will become second nature to him. For those who remember his season at Casey, did he have the same issue with his run-up (I suspect not)?

Could be tacky, but it's currently not an ideal action. Even at Casey I never thought his set shots were technically good. He often doesn't run straight at the goal, his steps are not smooth and he has a tendency to not hold the ball straight, bobs it up and down and it often ends up on a angle. Some may say that he kicked goals at Casey, but if his action was improved he may well produce better results in the future, which is what we all want. Not a biggie ATM, but in time I'm sure it will be improved.

Here's an example:

http://youtu.be/zhr72eoFo14

• Like 1

Surprised nobody's mentioned what Scoop McClure said about Hogan tonight on 3aw.

Basically said that someone overheard him say he wants to return to Perth at some stage.

This club must not under any circumstance lose this player.

The AFL should step in if there is even a sniff of that ever happening. Would be an absolute disgrace.

Surprised nobody's mentioned what Scoop McClure said about Hogan tonight on 3aw.

Basically said that someone overheard him say he wants to return to Perth at some stage.

I didn't hear it, but it's the last thing I'd be concerned about.

Personally I have no idea if his technique is or will be a problem. But forget the opinions you ascribe to me, and instead point out what is wrong with the logic of what I wrote, viz:

I am assuming from other posters that he did kick well in the VFL, so either say that is wrong, or show me where's the logical fault above (or to cover all logical possibilities, suggest another cause).

And one game by Kennedy is hardly good stats to base much on. Need his accuracy over more than a handful of non-stutter games to compare with his old accuracy.

Are you for real? You're arguing with yourself sue. I don't GAF if he has nerves or kicked truely at Casey. The thread is about Jessie's kicking action and could it be improved to help him kick more goals in the future for our club. His kicking results don't currently worry me, as he only played 3 games and is just getting used to the game at AFL level, but I'd like to see him improve his action at some point over the next 18 mths.

FMD your case is based upon Jessie "certainly" having nerves affecting his kicking and that Kennedy is yet to prove himself with his non stutter run up (10 goals!). Glad your not my lawyer.

Yea I'm also a little concerned about the penetration on his kicking. Seems like he can barely leg it 50 at the moment which is very unusual for such a powerful bloke. His field kicking is nice but once again seems to lack penetration. Maybe I just haven't witnessed it yet?

Tony Lockett had range problems. 40 metres out was are far he could kick. Compensated by his accuracy though. Hogan should look at some old clips of Lockett.

• Like 1

Of course not, I am just saying they should.

This is the same AFL that allow Tomd Boyd just get up and leave GWS after one year.

If Hogan leaves no one will stop him. I wasn't having a crack at you HH but unfortunately this is the reality.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

With apologies to those who live in Perth, I keep hearing from so many people that are from there/lived there that Perth is a boring place to live. Ultimately I reckon if we start winning games and he see success on the horizon that will be enough to keep him here. It's always the question on everybody's mind when picking up a young interstate recruit, when will he go home?

People kept hearing that Pav wanted to return to Adelaide "at some stage", that has never happened.

EDIT: Location, thanks to dazzledavey36 for the fact check!

Edited by Pates

With apologies to those who live in Perth, I keep hearing from so many people that are from there/lived there that Perth is a boring place to live. Ultimately I reckon if we start winning games and he see success on the horizon that will be enough to keep him here. It's always the question on everybody's mind when picking up a young interstate recruit, when will he go home?

People kept hearing the Pav wanted to return to Melbourne "at some stage", that has never happened.

Melbourne..? You mean South Australia?