Hawthorn aiming for 80k membership

Demonsone

The 1996 membership tally comparison is even starker. The year Hawthorn and Melbourne infamously came close to merging, the Hawks had a membership of 12,92

This is were their future members will come from..

The Hawks led the competition last year for junior members it had 19,800 and, with 18,233 already this year, expects to surpass that tally.

The 1996 membership tally comparison is even starker. The year Hawthorn and Melbourne infamously came close to merging, the Hawks had a membership of 12,92

This is were their future members will come from..

The Hawks led the competition last year for junior members it had 19,800 and, with 18,233 already this year, expects to surpass that tally.

1997 Melbourne had over 15,000 members. One of the highest in the AFL, I believe.

The MFC has 71,080 likes on Facebook.

Considering the demographic of our members (the oldest in the league - less likely to use Facebook) we should have a lot more than 35,000.

If we keep the wins coming, we should be pushing 50,000 within 2-3 years.

• Like 3

Can't look back .. But how many young kids did we lose from 08-2013???

I'm a18yr member but my 17yo son lost interest.... He was 8yo when we last played finals in 06

I was 8 back then as well

Sign that kid back up!

• Like 2

The MFC has 71,080 likes on Facebook.

Considering the demographic of our members (the oldest in the league - less likely to use Facebook) we should have a lot more than 35,000.

If we keep the wins coming, we should be pushing 50,000 within 2-3 years.

I just had a quick scan on Facebook of the number of likes for each football club. It was a thoroughly depressing search. Only GWS has fewer likes than us. Obviously not every human is on Facebook, but looking at the numbers we are doing pretty well to have 35,000 members it seems, especially given the last 8 years. 1:2 ratio of members to Facebook likes compared to 1:3 or 1:4 for other clubs.

It's a good thing we are embarking on a dynastic era of unparalleled butt-whipping.

Edited by pantaloons

I just had a quick scan on Facebook of the number of likes for each football club. It was a thoroughly depressing search. Only GWS has fewer likes than us. Obviously not every human is on Facebook, but looking at the numbers we are doing pretty well to have 35,000 members it seems, especially given the last 8 years. 1:2 ratio of members to Facebook likes compared to 1:3 or 1:4 for other clubs.

It's a good thing we are embarking on a dynastic era of unparalleled butt-whipping.

what's facebook?

• Like 3

A similar perusal of Twitter indicates figures that are very similar to club memberships. We are ahead of North, Footscray, Gold Coast, Brisbane and GWS on this front. Hawks behind Carlton, Essendon and collingwood. Very difficult for cats, dogs and gerbils to sign up for Twitter apparently.

• Like 1

Or latent supporter base is one of the smallest in the league in Victoria. Yet our conversion rates to members on a % term is very good and a credit to our membership department.

AFL Ozkick numbers and "school yard" %'s who claim to barrack for the Demons paint a very, very bleak future.

If we cant find ways to generate more $$$$$ per membership its going to be near impossible to raise the revenues required to be competitive on-field for your "dynastic era of unparalleled butt whipping".

Its not impossible but severe changes are going to have to be made in culture, thinking and positive can do attitudes.

Or latent supporter base is one of the smallest in the league in Victoria. Yet our conversion rates to members on a % term is very good and a credit to our membership department.

AFL Ozkick numbers and "school yard" %'s who claim to barrack for the Demons paint a very, very bleak future.

If we cant find ways to generate more $$$$$ per membership its going to be near impossible to raise the revenues required to be competitive on-field for your "dynastic era of unparalleled butt whipping".

Its not impossible but severe changes are going to have to be made in culture, thinking and positive can do attitudes.

Winning Games

Q E D

No idea why you would be a member of a club with 80 000 members.

They could not all go to a game.

IMO when the club gets that big being a member is just a waste of money as the benefits are far out weighed by your inability to use them.

Crazy stuff.

• Like 3

I was reading comments on the Hawthorn Facebook page about Frawley. The level of smug is in danger of reaching catastrophic proportions.

I don't think I'd be able to handle that without making a fake profile and trolling the lot of them. I get enough of that smugness from the few Hawks supporters I know. One day, I'll give it back I hope.

• Like 1

I know it is in the AFL's interest to keep publishing membership numbers like they do currently, but it would be far more informative to report members as full membership equivalents. In other words, all Hawthorn's 3 game, pet and junior memberships would equate to around 20,000 full memberships. Hence why they only get crowds of 30,000 to most of their games.