Melbourne v Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval - 5th March, 2015

Just a reminder we drafted Jimmy Toumpas at pick 4 and the next three picks were Jack McRae, Jake Stringer and Ollie Wines

There is no point whinging about it, Jimmy Toumpas isn't our problem.

We have far bigger problems than Jimmy Toumpas, for instance, we have a lot of guys who are either very rusty today - or just plain ordinary footballers.

• Like 1

Seems like we have run out of gas with 5mins to go towards qrt time.

I'm hopefull that the boys might settle down a bit after half time.

Playing so rushed at the moment. Always kicking to a player under pressure.

• Like 1

Only took one quarter to expose our backline. Other 16 teams will be taking note

Yeah, it has been embarrassed, marks taken without pressure, absolutely unopposed.

Walters, Pav, unmanned. I don't know, but I've been around footy all my life - I just expect a lot better from AFL level players.

• Like 1

Newton has easily been the biggest positive so far. Hogan has had some good moments up the field. Lumumba has been solid.

But one feels it's going to be another long year seeing familiar faces making their familiar mistakes. Why was Grimes taking a kick out? We have some skilled players back there (Dunn, Salem, Lumumba) and it was obvious he was going to stink it up. Matt Jones, Bail, TMac etc.

• Like 4

Yeah, this... isn't great for a first match. Freo are a well oiled machine but the total lack of forward pressure, the terrible disposal, delayed decisions... it's all so very 2014.

Anyway, I'll take my own advice. This match is just shaking off the cobwebs... they are playing in a humid 32 degrees as well.

• Like 2

Clearly Freo are a better side, but our disposal is not even VFL standard.

We get the ball and give it away nearly every single time.

Guys that can apparently use the ball like Salem and Toumpas have hardly touched it.

Newton looks ok. Frost is quick. HL is clearly coasting. Garlett stayed in Melbourne, he is clearly not at Freo.

Edited by Redleg

I don't post often...

Freo finished 4th last year...

They had a percentage of 130

It is 32 in Perth

We finished 17th

With a percentage of 68

We haven't won in WA since 2004 (?)

Let's not hang ourselves in March

• Like 19

Simple mistakes cost us and Fremantle were great on the rebound and attack that quarter, Walters was so dominant that quarter, don't know who was on him but perhaps Jetta should have been put on him.

One goal to Fremantle came from a Tyson kick out of the back flank into the centre to a leading Pederson, who dropped the easy chest mark on the lead (great kick by Tyson) which resulted in a quick turnover and goal. Simple mistake.

• Like 1

C'mon guys, it's only the NAB Challenge. Wait 'til they play us in the regular season!

NAB cup is no reason to not man up players. Especially when those players are the opposing captain and renowned goal sneak.

It is just dumb football, I understand it is the NAB cup, but I imagine Paul Roos would expect more from this lot - a lot more.

Lumumba was great in that quarter, some great run off the back 50 and a penetrating kick, no doubt he will be vital for us this year.

Hogan had a pretty good quarter, moved up the ground a found himself in space, I really liked what I saw from him, clearly is still finding his feet, but showed how versatile he can be.

• Like 2

I don't post often...

It is 32 in Perth

We finished 17th

With a percentage of 68

Good points. I usually wait until May anyway.

I don't post often...

It is 32 in Perth

We finished 17th

With a percentage of 68

Match day threads are always like this Steno. Best to avoid rather than take it to heart.

Gawn really struggled that quarter, and with the kicks he had they we shockers. Doesn't seem to be the sort of game to suit Toumpas. Tmac getting involved, but his disposal is average.

I don't expect disposal to be perfect given the conditions, but yes... some inexcusable decisions out there and a total lack of pressure. Where are the defenders? Nobody is manning up.

I'd hate to see this blow out into another WCE Round 2 disaster in the second half after such a promising pre-season, but it doesn't look great.

Lumumba was great in that quarter, some great run off the back 50 and a penetrating kick, no doubt he will be vital for us this year.

Hogan had a pretty good quarter, moved up the ground a found himself in space, I really liked what I saw from him, clearly is still finding his feet, but showed how versatile he can be.

Yeah I think the new guys have been our better players - Lumumba, Hogan and Newton, all impressive so far.

This Newton, I'm a bit blown away by this kid atm.

• Like 2