• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 27th February, 2015

Demonland

I saw Dawes give Allison a spray basically because Allison told him to get on the mark and he was shitty he'd just been beaten in a one on one by Grimes.

didn't see the Wack but may have been up the other end, seemed a very grumpy few boys out there today, Roosy even didn't seem impressed with a few questioning his umpiring decisions at times.

Too much red meat?

An earlier post #21 said Dawes smashed Jetta on the chops which would be reportable.

I'm surprised that none of the other reports on the session mentioned or denied this???

Nev pulled out of the match sim towards the end, so something shook him up, there were a few whacks going on throughout the whole thing, MIchie didn't miss JKH near me with a whack across the chest

I saw Dawes give Allison a spray basically because Allison told him to get on the mark and he was shitty he'd just been beaten in a one on one by Grimes.

didn't see the Wack but may have been up the other end, seemed a very grumpy few boys out there today, Roosy even didn't seem impressed with a few questioning his umpiring decisions at times.

Because we are only a week away from selecting the team for the first NAB Cup game, competition for spots, gotta love it

An earlier post #21 said Dawes smashed Jetta on the chops which would be reportable.

I'm surprised that none of the other reports on the session mentioned or denied this???

Trust me Sue it happened, and it was unsavoury. It was behind play, and the guy standing next to me didn't see it, so I'm not surprised that it went unnoticed. Dawes was apologetic to Jetta for some time afterwards.

Forgot to mention the chat between Dunny and Roos.

Hogan going for ground ball in traffic and got collected while trying to pick it up at ground level.

Dunn shouts 'He fuc$&in$ ducked'

Roos Replies 'He is allowed to go for the fu$&in$' ball''

Quite humorous.

• Like 2

Trust me Sue it happened, and it was unsavoury. It was behind play, and the guy standing next to me didn't see it, so I'm not surprised that it went unnoticed. Dawes was apologetic to Jetta for some time afterwards.

What end of the ground? I moved around a bit and mainly was on the Punt road wing so not really surprised I missed it. Seems strange Dawes would whack someone and even stranger Jetta. Dawes' suspensions last year were more silly and crude than down right blatant. Both would've been fines under the new system this year.

What end of the ground? I moved around a bit and mainly was on the Punt road wing so not really surprised I missed it. Seems strange Dawes would whack someone and even stranger Jetta. Dawes' suspensions last year were more silly and crude than down right blatant. Both would've been fines under the new system this year.

It was in the forward pocket at the Northern End AAMI Park side.

As I found your comments about Spencer.

I'm like all supporters, I've got my favourites and I've got players I don't like. But Spencer wasn't horrible today. Nice mark on the wing and a really good kick forward to a running player hitting him lace out as he was running away from Pencil (it was on the other side of the ground and I don't know who it was). He competed and gets involved around the ground. You didn't mention that. I get you don't like him and that's fine but you should at least give a full picture and not a singular example of a mistake.

As for the ball rarely getting from one end to the other without a skill mistake have a look at last nights game and again tonight. It's a competitive game where the ball rarely does go from one end to the other without an "error". Today was competitive with as much focus on defense as attack. The idea of defense is to make it difficult for the attacker. They did and we saw a contest. That's all. It wasn't silly skill errors where simple mistakes were made. It was pretty normal preseason competitive footy.

And having read all the reports I'd agree that Kent was very good as was Grimes. Anyone who thinks he's not a lock for the team if fit is well off the mark IMO.

Newton is one of those players who I just don't notice. I reckon I'll pick up the paper having not noticed him in a game and see he had it 26 times. Does have nice balance and a very good kick but like GRRM I don't see him get it much.

Thanks to Saty for info on Salem. I feared he'd done his calf muscle but if it's just a cork that's great. Believe me, if you'd seen him today you'd be excited! And Dawes is a real worry I reckon. He's not that good in a contest because his hands are iffy and he gets angry and reported which doesn't do anything for the team. Time for a bit of reflection I reckon. Having said that I didn't see the Jetta incident.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 5

The slower play around half back was ok at times. It certainly wasn't terrible. But when you switch it around half back against any good defensive team (and both sides defended pretty well) at some stage you're going to need to do 1 of 3 things to get out - 1. kick to a contest. 2. thread the needle on a difficult kick or 3. run and link up and break through a zone. There were too many times where I would've liked to see us try the kick to the ruck/CHF option OR try the handball and run through the middle early on in the rebound.

And therein lies the problem. Against a well organised zone/press can we

- kick through it a la hawthorn?? Kicking skills and decision making needs to be first class

- have the players to run and carry through it and kick long to leading fwd. It looks great when it comes of but when turned over it more likely results in a oppo fwd 50 entry.

- Kicking long to a contest down the line is the easy and safe option

These training reports provide a reality check for the season ahead. Well they do for me. Perhaps TDI's prediction is close to the mark. Improvement but no exponential rise. Thanks for the reports, observations and insights. Interesting to read the differences Nice balance to the reports. Great work chaps. Whisky and soda time.

These training reports provide a reality check for the season ahead. Well they do for me. Perhaps TDI's prediction is close to the mark. Improvement but no exponential rise. Thanks for the reports, observations and insights. Interesting to read the differences Nice balance to the reports. Great work chaps. Whisky and soda time.

Whats with the soda Ernie? Are you dehydrated?

• Like 1

As for the ball rarely getting from one end to the other without a skill mistake have a look at last nights game and again tonight. It's a competitive game where the ball rarely does go from one end to the other without an "error". Today was competitive with as much focus on defense as attack. The idea of defense is to make it difficult for the attacker. They did and we saw a contest. That's all. It wasn't silly skill errors where simple mistakes were made. It was pretty normal preseason competitive footy.

The way I saw it, there was very little forward pressure, let alone a forward press, which is what they'll experience on match day. Players should be able to spot up a target, or at the very least put the ball to the advantage of their teammate, at a higher efficiency than I saw today.

I'll admit that I get frustrated easily. A case in point was early on in the match sim, Pedo took a fantastic contested mark about 45m out on the boundary. He takes one step back and tries a 20m pass to Hogan in pocket. He had no momentum in his kick and it landed short of Hogan. He did the same thing up the other end. It may not look like a skill error or a silly mistake, but in my eyes it shouldn't happen at AFL level.

• Like 2

I think we need to remember that we still can't read much into them, both positive or negative. The key word is simulation - it's not at the same intensity, pressure etc as match day and should be taken as such. It's good to hear about some players lifting their game, or playing in a different position, but outside of that we can't put too much focus into it.

no just allows me to drink more whiskys over a longer period. no longer a young man. need to look after my body now. my days of straight whiskys are over.

Ernie your name sake is turning in his grave.

• Like 1

The main one that stood out to me Bobby was "as the tempo of training increases so do the mistakes".

This is only training tempo. A games tempo is even greater which concens me greatly. I have a bad feeling our skills under pressure will go to water and we will be similar to last yr.

Then there was MO64 report. Not much to like in that.

Maybe it's just me but for the first time in a long time I am being very wary of how we will perform and can't get excited until I see it on game day.

Fair enough comment. We can only wait and see with fingers crossed how we go on game day in the real season. Great to see Salem dominating. He is an exciting talent.

Sounds like training is coming along alright hopefully making solid movements towards a relatively small squad for the nab cup, allowing 1-3 year players a bit more game time.

Hopefully we are still sticking to the concept of holding onto the football, but moving it quickly on the counter. Hopefully the skill of our mids will have increased enough to not be as likely to turn the ball over and then lock it into the forward half

Fair enough comment. We can only wait and see with fingers crossed how we go on game day in the real season. Great to see Salem dominating. He is an exciting talent.

Mate I've got my eyes, fingers and legs crossed tbh.

Hopefully u r right and Salem is a great player.

Rd 1 ain't to far away. Time will tell.

In regards to errors, not hitting targets etc. etc. not sure if anyone's watching Carlton/WC at the moment ...

Carlton absolutely embarassing. Have been saying since the draft that Carlton will easily be bottom 4, and I've seen nothing tonight that changes my opinion. Awful.

Carlton absolutely embarassing. Have been saying since the draft that Carlton will easily be bottom 4, and I've seen nothing tonight that changes my opinion. Awful.

Goes along with my bottom 2 theory...and WC won't make the 8 no matter how many in the media are pushing them up, Greg Denham.

Also embarrassing how Healy is trying to pump up Jaksch's game. Done nothing, he's another Watson.

• Like 1