Training - Monday 16th February 2015

tappysquads

I am happy if they went with no first year players but form and availability may put pay to that. Of course, I would like to see Vandenberg given a chance but sometimes chances come at the wrong times for individuals to capitalise on them - I wouldn't 'ear mark' any first year player for Rd 1.

I agree, and I think we have plenty of players with experience on our list who will be able to put their hands up throughout the early stages of the year. But having Vandenberg available for selection will hopefully spur him on a bit more and he can get a run in the seniors if his form warrants it.

Mark Stevens came up to me in regards to the Petracca injury. I asked him if he'd been to many of our training sessions, and he said he had, and thought that we'd been impressive. I mentioned my concerns about our midfield, and he agreed that we didn't have any champions there.

I said the same thing to my wife about Geelong about 10 years ago...

Can we take anything out of that? Well, given that I know a lot more than Stevens, which isn't hard as he knows fcuk all, I'll lock us in for a flag in 2017.

• Like 4

Personally I don't think it was particularly objective re Terlich and Spencer as I watched the same drill, Terlich hit the target each time, the object of the drill was to run onto the ball, but mo64 is entitled to a differing opinion as we all are

It;s not an opinion. I heard Allison clearly say to the players involved that the objective was to hit the target with the receiving player moving forward. Terlich's kicks reached their target every time, but that wasn't the objective. Saty, if you were anywhere near where it happened, you would have seen Terlich give himself a fist pump after getting it right at the 4th attempt.

And you clearly didn't see Spencer drop a sitter in the middle of the ground and fumble during one of the ball movement drills. For mine, it stands out like dog;'s balls, because it shouldn't happen at local level footy let alone AFL.

• Like 4

And you clearly didn't see Spencer drop a sitter in the middle of the ground and fumble during one of the ball movement drills. For mine, it stands out like dog;'s balls, because it shouldn't happen at local level footy let alone AFL.

Did any other players drop a mark or fumble during ball movement drills?

Thanks for your report.

Did any other players drop a mark or fumble during ball movement drills?

Thanks for your report.

Not from a perfectly weighted 25m pass that hit the players' hands as if they were a brick wall, and bounced straight out. And there weren't too many obvious fumbles because the ball shouldn't be hitting the deck in a ball movement drill. I was going to post that I was disappointed with some of the 2 grab marks of Dawes when on the lead, but I'd be portrayed as an out and out pessimist.

BB, you mentioned in your Friday training report that Gawn was the best ruckman during the match prac because of his work around the ground. If that's the case then Spencer should never get a game, because Jamar is infinitely better than Spencer around the ground.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 1

Honestly Dazzle, we get you don't like TDI, give it a rest.

No I don't like his sniping at other posters who actually add great value to the training reports like mo64. He had a go at him because he didn't agree with his same opinion on the drills and player mistakes even though they both watched the same training run. He prances around like his training reports are above everyone else when clearly they aren't. I don't come on here to read any of his reports. I respect and read the likes of mo64 who don't sugar coat things with any fanboy like qualities.

And then to carry on like an idiot kicking and screaming to get the Christian Petracca thread closed down (which now has over 6 pages) just so we can all look at his fluff training report on the incident.

Please..

• Like 2

BB, you mentioned in your Friday training report that Gawn was the best ruckman during the match prac because of his work around the ground. If that's the case then Spencer should never get a game, because Jamar is infinitely better than Spencer around the ground.

I don't think I said that. I mentioned that Gawn impressed me with his one on one marking when playing forward. I noted that Spencer got involved around the ground and was better than Jamar. I further noted Jamar wouldn't have it all his own way.

Jamar is a good tap ruckman and can take a contested mark on occasions but is hopeless defensively and can't get involved around the ground. In his early days he was known around here as "donuts". Spencer clearly has his shortcomings but endeavor and commitment to the contest is not one of them. He is also quick. I'd suggest that Jamar's biggest weakness is that he can't influence the game other than his tap stoppage work and is a liability defensively.

Gawn's main weakness is he also can't apply much defensive pressure when playing forward and doesn't appear to have much of a tank but potentially he is our best bet.

All our ruckmen have quite significant weaknesses IMO. It will be interesting to see what combination we go for.

Anyway it's good to hear nobody else made a simple mistake, a big improvement on previous years.

No I don't like his sniping at other posters who actually add great value to the training reports like mo64. He had a go at him because he didn't agree with his same opinion on the drills and player mistakes even though they both watched the same training run. He prances around like his training reports are above everyone else when clearly they aren't. I don't come on here to read any of his reports. I respect and read the likes of mo64 who don't sugar coat things with any fanboy like qualities.

And then to carry on like an idiot kicking and screaming to get the Christian Petracca thread closed down (which now has over 6 pages) just so we can all look at his fluff training report on the incident.

Please..

jeez dazzle, you don't miss a chance to gnaw that bone do you?

btw your real name wouldn't be hatfield would it?

I don't think I said that. I mentioned that Gawn impressed me with his one on one marking when playing forward. I noted that Spencer got involved around the ground and was better than Jamar. I further noted Jamar wouldn't have it all his own way.

Jamar is a good tap ruckman and can take a contested mark on occasions but is hopeless defensively and can't get involved around the ground. In his early days he was known around here as "donuts". Spencer clearly has his shortcomings but endeavor and commitment to the contest is not one of them. He is also quick. I'd suggest that Jamar's biggest weakness is that he can't influence the game other than his tap stoppage work and is a liability defensively.

Gawn's main weakness is he also can't apply much defensive pressure when playing forward and doesn't appear to have much of a tank but potentially he is our best bet.

All our ruckmen have quite significant weaknesses IMO. It will be interesting to see what combination we go for.

Anyway it's good to hear nobody else made a simple mistake, a big improvement on previous years.

Not sure how "endeavour and commitment to the contest" equates in a football sense, when marking, kicking and handballing are not your strong suit. BTW, Spencer did cop a spray from Roos today for not running back to help out the defense.

I do agree that Gawn is our best long term option, but I think you massively overrate Spencer and under sell Jamar. I thought that Jamar was hugely influential in our early season wins last year.

I'll cut players some slack if they make a rare simple mistake. In Spencer's case I see it too often.

• Like 1

Thanks for your great write up mo64, balanced and objective. Don't listen to those who diss. Please attend more sessions.

Objective? It's completely subjective. Even where you choose to look is a subjective choice.

None the worse for that of course, and much appreciated, but once again ... the sniping from the usual suspects in these training threads is just tedious.

• Like 5

Please..

"Kicking and screaming"? Really?

TDI said: "See my report on the injury in the training thread, mods can we close this thread can be covered inn the training thread, and it was his left knee not the right which he has supported with strapping"

TDI then joined in the discussion and the suggestion to close the thread was never raised again.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you started that particular thread would it? I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have started a separate thread (in fact, I'm glad it is separate), but really... how many millions of times have you been told not to exaggerate.

• Like 3

Objective? It's completely subjective. Even where you choose to look is a subjective choice.

None the worse for that of course, and much appreciated, but once again ... the sniping from the usual suspects in these training threads is just tedious.

Calling Saty a sniper is low bing.

• Like 3

dot.gif Ranked 11th in Total Handballs dot.gif Ranked 11th in Total Disposals dot.gif Ranked 19th in Total Contested Possessions dot.gif Ranked 20th in Total Uncontested Possessions dot.gif Ranked 7th in Total Effective Disposals dot.gif Ranked 7th in Total Clearances dot.gif Ranked 19th in Handballs Per Game dot.gif Ranked 10th in Disposals Per Game dot.gif Ranked 6th in Effective Disposals Per Game dot.gif Ranked 11th in Clearances Per Game

Looks pretty close to about 10th to me.

These stats include finals.

If you take away finals games so it's just for the season, Jones was 5th or 6th ranked player in the comp. He had a super year and again is underrated by people still!

• Like 3

hopefully he gets given more of a go than Magner got.

Hopefully he is able to be hugely more accountable for his opponent and much better with the football than magner

• Like 4

Please..

And I don't like your snipping of TDI who actually adds great value to training reports. You have a go at him because you don't agree with his opinions. You prance around like everyone else's training reports are above his. I don't come hear to read any of your reports. I respect and read the likes of TDI because he's a great big fanboy who has 1000's of posts on a Demons forum.

There a little irony at play here. Your usually a lot better than this DD.

• Like 4

Ok, will get this out of the way first, Petracca went into a contest with Terlich, from what I can gather his left knee was pushed inwards and he felt something, the fitness staff and medicos were straight out to him, took him off after a while, being a young kid when he got back on his feet, went to test it, medical staff told him to just walk up and down, he did a couple of steps, hopefully just a hyperextension, took him straight off, assume for a scan, let's wait for the official....edit he did walk off, they didn't use the golf cart

Sam Frost pinged his hammy as well

Terrible news for Petracca, the curse continues 1 day after the 50th anniversary from when the curse first began.

How is Harmes going? Will Petracca's setback be his opportunity to crack it into the team assuming that vandenBerg takes Trengove's spot?

Is it safe to say that Frost won't play against Freo?

What is Garland's injury and how long will he be out for?

It looks like we may be a bit short down back if Frost and Garland are out will they push Pedersen back or will they give O.Mc a taste?