• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

"The only possible winners are the lawyers."

And people that are against drugs in sport.

Fantastic news about the lawyers as Mrs Frog will be studying law soon.

• Like 1

A question 'Redleg'.

Would the delay in bringing down the decision mean that Hird is more likely to get a win here? or at least is the decision in the balance?

It would seem that if they agreed with the original decision then the appeal would have been thrown out by now...

...or is it just the time of year and Judge christmas lunches, dinners and social events take priority.

A question 'Redleg'.

Would the delay in bringing down the decision mean that Hird is more likely to get a win here? or at least is the decision in the balance?

It would seem that if they agreed with the original decision then the appeal would have been thrown out by now...

...or is it just the time of year and Judge christmas lunches, dinners and social events take priority.

are you trying to spoil my Chistmas?

A question 'Redleg'.

Most likely the time of year and the fact that you need to get 3 written judgments, from 3 different judges, who may have a backlog of decisions to write and give.

Someone told me the other day that they had been waiting for a Supreme Court single judge decision for over a year.

Most likely the time of year and the fact that you need to get 3 written judgments, from 3 different judges, who may have a backlog of decisions to write and give.

Someone told me the other day that they had been waiting for a Supreme Court single judge decision for over a year.

and what about m.............oh forget it

Thanks 'Red'

...so 'deefrag', it looks like you can get back to enjoying your Christmas mate. Hope it's a good one.

So we should know the outcome of the appeal when the players 2 year suspension is over?

So we should know the outcome of the appeal when the players 2 year suspension is over?

That seems to be the EFC strategy, or more correctly when the players have retired..

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

There's only one currency in play here as far as I can tell, and that's notionally 'time' !! Yes it's costing EFC a motza but they seem to be getting some back off of their insurers, god knows how. They dont care about the money. The typical EFC devotee is that stupid they're coughing up fighting money. It truly boggles the mind.

EFC know they will have to rebuild thoroughly in a couple of years but if they can squeak though in the meantime it is , to them, a win. This is what infuriates me about the whole thing, the utter contempt with which they have not only initiated this debacle but deign to continue it as a farce. WADA needs to find the biggest stick it can grab and get practicing swinging it.

Essendon not only need to be punished but ought to be made an example of.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. Their crimes if found guilty in my view would be very unlikely to be covered by insurance. It is early days, but after a guilty verdict by WADA etc they will be left with no friends and most insurance claims will be null and void. Then there are the law suits: if they are guilty there is no insurance cover which I am aware of which covers criminal activity, and this will be criminal activity

Even a wealthy club like ESSENDON will go broke confronted by this.

• Like 2

Thanks 'Red'

...so 'deefrag', it looks like you can get back to enjoying your Christmas mate. Hope it's a good one.

I have my doubts about one of the three, but hopefully that vote won't be needed!

Good tidings to you . . and all the good peoples of Demonland.

Chrs

had to laugh at all the positive essendrug articles on afl.com ately

So transparent

Do you think that Essendon have paid someone to do this sort of thing so it appears they have popular support?

Do you think that Essendon have paid someone to do this sort of thing so it appears they have popular support?

You are joking aren't you?

Of course they have. This whole PR facade has been orchestrated from beginning to end. The irony thought is that however much Tania and James spend on it, it will make no difference. WADA will get them in the end. Their sociopathetic personalities will go into overdrive, and they will be very much poorer for the experience,

The AFL will be well rid of them, and we will all be better off.

• Like 1

Of course they have. This whole PR facade has been orchestrated from beginning to end. The irony thought is that however much Tania and James spend on it, it will make no difference. WADA will get them in the end. Their sociopathetic personalities will go into overdrive, and they will be very much poorer for the experience,

I was just interested in reading your view on this issue.

I totally agree with your comments.

The irony thought is that however much Tania and James spend on it, it will make no difference. WADA will get them in the end.

Agreed. And ah, the parochialism of it all. I don't know that anyone at Essendon, from the bigwigs down through to the supporters, have any sense of just how small a pond they're swimming in. WADA know that outside of Melbourne/Australia, all that anyone's interested in here is that the process is followed and that if there has been an infraction, that appropriate penalties are applied.

No-one sitting in Lausanne or Montreal knows who James Hird or Jobe Watson are. Or cares.

There's obviously some AFL involvement in all the puff pieces appearing. They too have a vested interest in the Kool-Aid drinkers buying memberships and going to games.

Actually the worst article was this:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-24/please-santa-

ESSENDON

Seriously, do you even have to ask what we want? It's as obvious as the red nose on you-know-who's face. We need every Bomber to be cleared over the supplements saga so they can – finally! – get on with playing the game, free from all distractions. And for Bomber – Thompson that is – to somehow find a way to work with Hirdy and the boys again. Yes, yes, Santa, we know you're not a miracle worker, but see if you can have a word with Him. In the meantime we'll do three Hail Hirdys … er, Hail Marys, and hope for the best.

I nearly puked after reading this. Hail Hirdys - WTF??? Who writes this crap? No doubt Bummers supporters lapped it up - they really are a breed apart. Any other club and the coach would have their head on a pike, but everyone else has gone except Goldenboy. He wasn't even that special as a player in my opinion.

• Like 1

Can someone confirm the penalty and appeals process? I understand that the players can appeal if found guilty (to an speaks board and the to the CAS) but I would like to know of the penalties stand in the mean time.

Ie if found guilty and they appeal, are they suspended until the appeal is heard?

Can someone confirm the penalty and appeals process? I understand that the players can appeal if found guilty (to an speaks board and the to the CAS) but I would like to know of the penalties stand in the mean time.

Ie if found guilty and they appeal, are they suspended until the appeal is heard?

Technically they are already suspended as they have been given infraction notices

But 2 of them played v ireland

And they are training.

So i would contend that they arent suspended yet

I understand it goes something like this:

1. The AFL tribunal brings down their rulings at the end of the current hearings before it on the current infraction notices. During the hearings, ASADA will table their evidence, and the players will mount their defences. This is totally separate from the court case current being conducted by James Hird.

2. If either party disagrees with the verdict, they can appeal, but after it is all done, if WADA disagrees with the outcomes, they can take it to CAS in Switzerland. Based on the current evidence, they would be very likely to succeed in such an appeal, as they usually do.

Following these proceedings though, it is very likely there will be a Worksafe investigation into workpractices at ESSENDON under HIRD which could very likely result in severe penalties for those involved in admin including HIRD

1. The AFL tribunal brings down their rulings at the end of the current hearings before it on the current infraction notices. During the hearings, ASADA will table their evidence, and the players will mount their defences. This is totally separate from the court case current being conducted by James Hird.

2. If either party disagrees with the verdict, they can appeal, but after it is all done, if WADA disagrees with the outcomes, they can take it to CAS in Switzerland. Based on the current evidence, they would be very likely to succeed in such an appeal, as they usually do.

Following these proceedings though, it is very likely there will be a Worksafe investigation into workpractices at ESSENDON under HIRD which could very likely result in severe penalties for those involved in admin including HIRD

I'd restate investigation into work practices under "Hird" to those charged with Governance, e.g. The Board and to an extent the CEO.

While Hird no doubt had a key role in the program such a gross failure to protect the players wellbeing goes directly to the function of the Board.

If this investigation hasn't already been going on for two years then something is very rotten in the State of Denmark. The Doctors and Directors should have the book thrown at them. Fined heavily if not incarceration. I wld go to jail if I 'forced' one of my workers to take injections not approved for human use. WTF are they waiting for???

I suggest writing to your local member and asking them. I have,

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 2