THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

It's good to see the AFL putting their plan B out now. They have obvious concerns the players are going to be suspended from the season proper. Like it or not the AFL need to run an 18 team competition and this makes sense.

Anyone who thinks Essendon get any real benefit from a bunch of delisted AFL players only need look at the Neeld money ball plan to realise they will not win a game.

Now the next part of the plan I would like to see is how they deal with the draft, surely finishing on the bottom will not entitle Essendon to pick 1.

haha if they were to get pick 1 as a result of playing rejects all year there would be 17 other clubs go nuts.

Have you forgotten the $2million fine and exclusion from top draft picks for two years, then add the loss of most of the club's top tier management.

Your desire for revenge is clouding your mind I think robbie

my focus is not on Essendon as such, but on the iceberg that I think they are the tip of. The Titanic was sunk by what was under the surface, not the bit sticking out visibly. It's true that I feel intense hatred for Essendon, but I think that the Essendon case is a major test case (for both the regulation of sport and for criminal elements potentially about to swoop into the opportunity of large-scale supplying drugs into sport). As I see it, the fate of Essendon is minor compared to the fate of drug-free sport that hangs in the balance here. Not revenge therefore, but desire to see sport survive as we have known it - as athletic, not criminal-infiltrated pharmacological, competition.

• Like 2

my focus is not on Essendon as such, but on the iceberg that I think they are the tip of. The Titanic was sunk by what was under the surface, not the bit sticking out visibly. It's true that I feel intense hatred for Essendon, but I think that the Essendon case is a major test case (for both the regulation of sport and for criminal elements potentially about to swoop into the opportunity of large-scale supplying drugs into sport). As I see it, the fate of Essendon is minor compared to the fate of drug-free sport that hangs in the balance here. Not revenge therefore, but desire to see sport survive as we have known it - as athletic, not criminal-infiltrated pharmacological, competition.

I understand the above robbie however the AFL will not see themselves as leading the world in drug elimination.

They will do their bit as they are compelled to under agreements.

However they will not destroy themselves to change the world.

The EFC have been penalised and the Players may be next.

IMO that will be it, the AFL will want the EFC back in a strong position in 2016.

The are a very big/ popular club that the AFL need.

Oh come on. You think criminals are really going to start rolling up to AFL clubs handing out drugs on the basis of Essendon's penalties? Has Dank or any of the chemists involved turned a profit it all of this? I doubt it, not unless they end up winning all their legal cases with fat settlements.

The AFL now have there own rules in place where all supplements have to be approved by the AFL. Yet alone the ASADA/WADA rules that still have the catch all claim.

AFL players will also now be way more careful regardless of the outcome to the Essendon players. Even if the Essendon players get cleared there's no way any players will be signing up for anything remotely questionable.

The lesson in all of this is for the AFL and players to be more suspicious and vigilant. There's no need for Essendon to cop some huge punishment as a deterrent.

Apparently georgiou, panos and baulderstone are on the list.

Came here because this is what interests me. I'd like to see Georgiou get another chance and considering Panos and Baulderstone were both names we were somewhat linked to around draft time I'd be keen to see them play.

Came here because this is what interests me. I'd like to see Georgiou get another chance and considering Panos and Baulderstone were both names we were somewhat linked to around draft time I'd be keen to see them play.

I doubt Georgiou would be interested, he gave it a shot last year but has settled back into Adelaide, is Captain of his club and would be getting his career back on track.

• Like 1

I doubt Georgiou would be interested, he gave it a shot last year but has settled back into Adelaide, is Captain of his club and would be getting his career back on track.

Depends if it's just the NAB challenge or part of the regular season. If it's just practice matches maybe he takes a couple of weeks off and plays at a higher level for more coin and to put his name forward. Otherwise I agree. Comes down to whether 3 nab challenge matches and then a full season at SANFL would be enough to get him on to a primary list which I'm sure he'd have to consider compared to the rookie list which probably doesn't interest him.

Depends if it's just the NAB challenge or part of the regular season. If it's just practice matches maybe he takes a couple of weeks off and plays at a higher level for more coin and to put his name forward. Otherwise I agree. Comes down to whether 3 nab challenge matches and then a full season at SANFL would be enough to get him on to a primary list which I'm sure he'd have to consider compared to the rookie list which probably doesn't interest him.

I think he's done mate, be very surprised to see him play any AFL footy. Even NAB.

I understand the above robbie however the AFL will not see themselves as leading the world in drug elimination.

They will do their bit as they are compelled to under agreements.

However they will not destroy themselves to change the world.

The EFC have been penalised and the Players may be next.

IMO that will be it, the AFL will want the EFC back in a strong position in 2016.

The are a very big/ popular club that the AFL need.

Sorry OD but Essendon have received no penalty to date regarding the use of PED's.

Their penalty was for bringing the game into disrepute.

EFC's penalty for the drug program is yet to come.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

Neeld and moloney reunited haha god I hope so

be just our luck if he got it right at the second attempt !!

At the end of the day it makes no difference what the AFL does. Any penalties are ultimately in the hands of WADA even though local sporting judicial tribunals hand out the initial finding. Any playing dead by the AFL is therefore ultimately superfluous.

I beg to differ, all penalties are determined and handed down by the AFL and not WADA

Edited by Wormburner

I hope players like Tapscott and Strauss get a call up. What better way to convince recruiters at all other clubs that you should be given another chance by performing well under these circumstances. I admit that it's a long shot for them, but if they still have a burning desire, here's an unexpected opportunity and those recruited to Essendon should make the most of it.

• Like 1

Clearly the AFL does not want to remove Essendon from the comp. Will never happen. And doubtless given their supporter base, the AFL will want them to be a strong club, always in or near the finals.

It remains to be seen how much help the AFL will give Essendon to get back on their feet (assuming they get knocked off their feet shortly). If they are too helpful a lot of us will be outraged. I fear they will be too helpful since the whinging of other clubs is less important than the $'s to the AFL.

Edited by sue