THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

Just out of curiosity, what did Rodriguez use? I think it's relevant when comparing him to the EFC situation to know whether he used an accepted performance enhancing drug or a dodgy peptide of unknown benefit which is nevertheless on the banned list.

His situation is a bit different, the baseball league is not signed on to the WADA code and their system including penalties is less stringent.

What sort of time span and tactics and so on along with legal mumbo jumbo could we be looking at between any decision handed down by the AFL process and WADA CAS completion?

Any idea from anybody?

Using the Alberto Contador appealed to CAS over his ban as an example, Bing181 knows how long the appeal process took. I believe he said it was something like 4mths. If found guilty the next step is that a sentencing hearing will be held. I assume if they appeal the sentencing hearing would be postponed until the appeal is completed. If they are unsuccessful it will go back to the sentencing hearing. They might even then appeal back to the CAS against the sentence that is handed down. That would possibly be another 4 mths or so. Conceivably it could be close to a year before the sentencing process is finalised if all that happened and then potentially a year to two years for a ban if applicable. If it was two years it could be the 2016 and 2017 seasons under a worse case scenario of maximum appeals and maximum sentence.

I would be surprised if the Tribunal decision is the end of this sorry affair. I expect the players will appeal if they lose and WADA will appeal if they get off.

OD the only way they would only get 6mths is if they get a 12mth reduction because they can prove they were duped plus they have fully co operated. The Cronulla players fully co operated and still got 12mths. Essendon obviously have not so absolute best case if found guilty will be 12mths, it can't be less. But for it to only be 12mths they will have to prove they were duped. Not sure, given their combatitive behaviour, how successful this argument will be, especially if the rumours are true that some players have come forward and admitted they were told it was TB4. I suggest the onus is on a sportsman to get a clearance from their Doctor. In this case Doc Reid. I don't think it will be enough to rely on what Dank said or Hird etc. We have seen that Doc Reid sent emails etc saying he was very concerned about what was happening and not being given info on what was being given. If the players had asked the Doc if it was ok and he expressed this to them then I would say they are going to struggle to establish they were innocently duped. If he didn't say anything then why has he been permitted to continue.

Jobe Watson as Captain and head of the players should have been asking these questions to the Doc . You would think he would have discussed this with his Father, who you would have hoped being such an experienced football person should have raised alarms. Yet Tim is running around in the Press supporting the Club. What hypocricy is that. He should have been telling his son to stop it if he knew anything about it.

• Like 2

Some clarity please.

My understanding is should ASADA ne AFL hand down a bit of nasty for the naughty ones and same said nongs fly the protest flag .......that the suspensions are enacted until otherwise lengthened ( lol ) ??

what are others views or understandings to this pls

Some clarity please.

My understanding is should ASADA ne AFL hand down a bit of nasty for the naughty ones and same said nongs fly the protest flag .......that the suspensions are enacted until otherwise lengthened ( lol ) ??

what are others views or understandings to this pls

I thought the same 'bb'.

Wonder if Jobe has polished Chas for the last time yet ???

• Like 1

what then makes me curious is......

All the way along it seems as though the players ..or rather' cannon fodder' ruled by EFC have sought time; but that now time is by another's clock.

.......If the tribunal does indeed come down on the side of righteousness and the feeble grumble then it must be that EFC is still moored in the same boat.. ie. Its players refuse to play lest they be outed.( this I find the most humourous of all but... )

So the bummer s attempt a game of clandestine deceit ( almost an oxymoron , however as with many things to do with this episode it has special waivers )

At what stage do the other 17 simply put Gill the Dill in a corner and basically threaten to pumble him lest he enact some late common sense to the situation

Is there any foundation of the game that this felonious club hasn't trampled upon. Much is made supposedly of the NEED for this club but I argue can it be more than 17 others ?? I dont see it. Where and when is the tipping point for jettisoning this bunch of fwits ?

The AwFuL is about to start its little dance aka as broadcast rights. It must surely be able to portray itself as master of its game lest the value be 2/3 of 3/5 of bugger all.

A suggestion to Dill. March to Windy Hill and lay down the law..threaten their very existence i.e licence.

everyone has had enough . EFC are not only taking the plss but attempting force majeure...and ironically they arent...not any more.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 3

All the way along it seems as though the players ..or rather' cannon fodder' ruled by EFC have sought time; but that now time is by another's clock.

.......If the tribunal does indeed come down on the side of righteousness and the feeble grumble then it must be that EFC is still moored in the same boat.. ie. Its players refuse to play lest they be outed.( this I find the most humourous of all but... )

Good Point BB. I believe you are right that if they are found guilty and appeal they will have to sit out playing games until their appeal is heard or they could take the risk and play hoping that the guilty finding will be turned over on appeal. If it isn't then I believe the ban will start running from the appeal decision.

Taking that into account perhaps it's more likely they will take their medicine if found guilty and not run the risk of ruining two seasons instead of one.

Good Point BB. I believe you are right that if they are found guilty and appeal they will have to sit out playing games until their appeal is heard or they could take the risk and play hoping that the guilty finding will be turned over on appeal. If it isn't then I believe the ban will start running from the appeal decision.

Taking that into account perhaps it's more likely they will take their medicine if found guilty and not run the risk of ruining two seasons instead of one.

Well it introduces a plethora of outcomes really. There hasnt been a lot of reason and common sense to date so where shall that take us ?

At what point do any of the less affected take to their own road and realise that to little its but some sort of game. To Hird , well this narcissistic prima dona is in his own private orbit and as such is beyond the common realm; but the players and though I enforce the notion its their own bloody fault I concede certain irregularities of the locker room etc, it is theirs to direct now, if they so wish. I sense its too late for these pea brains, they are both cause and victim of the footy club mentality which has so well served those that ought unfair advantage.

If I may be so crass as to suggest a rather vulgar analogy its like the morning after when one's eyes eventually pry open from a drunken slumber and realise that you arent alone and that the previous evening's adventure might have gone awry and one longs for their clothes and avenue of escape: I have no doubt there are some essendon players, indeed their parents , and so called guardians , that now look to the door and know its too late.

what say I?

[censored] them !!

• Like 2

i'm not sure if the tribunal finds them guilty that they have the option to play or not.

saad and the casey player didn't if i remember correctly and i'm sure at least one of them appealed

i'm not sure if the tribunal finds them guilty that they have the option to play or not.

saad and the casey player didn't if i remember correctly and i'm sure at least one of them appealed

Saad didnt have the capacity ( read MONEY) to obfuscate. He was but a minnow. No temerity , he rolled. He was done a serious injustice for mine , by comparison.

this is more akin to Godzilla versus Mothra.

Hird makes me sick...Little makes me wish we had Americas 2nd ammendment !!

Despite what some allude we dont NEED Essendon.

Oh ye of little faith, the age of miracles is not yet past - Essendon apologises:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-18/bombers-apologise-for-sanfl-player-poaching/6143788

It's a start, maybe they'll apologise to the other 17 clubs, the AFL and footy supporters in general next. Then again.....

No No No NO....its about being caught out and wrong footed. They are still bastards...no apologies accepted as their intent was merciless.

So the bummer s attempt a game of clandestine deceit ( almost an oxymoron , however as with many things to do with this episode it has special waivers )

At what stage do the other 17 simply put Gill the Dill in a corner and basically threaten to pumble him lest he enact some late common sense to the situation

Is there any foundation of the game that this felonious club hasn't trampled upon. Much is made supposedly of the NEED for this club but I argue can it be more than 17 others ?? I dont see it. Where and when is the tipping point for jettisoning this bunch of fwits ?

The AwFuL is about to start its little dance aka as broadcast rights. It must surely be able to portray itself as master of its game lest the value be 2/3 of 3/5 of bugger all.

A suggestion to Dill. March to Windy Hill and lay down the law..threaten their very existence i.e licence.

everyone has had enough . EFC are not only taking the plss but attempting force majeure...and ironically they arent...not any more.

I am guessing one problem with ditching them would be the worry about the ensuing court cases, and worse the possibility of an injunction against the competition continuing until the court cases are resolved.

• Like 1

I am guessing one problem with ditching them would be the worry about the ensuing court cases, and worse the possibility of an injunction against the competition continuing until the court cases are resolved.

I hear this,,,but what is their rank. They cant sue because they are fuckwlts surely !!

Just catching up with the thread:

The Contador appeal took over a year, but that's in part because there were a lot of documents that had to be translated from Spanish etc. etc. Normally, appeals should take 4 - 6 months to come to court. But then the case has to be heard, then the CAS has to hand down its findings, which often takes another 3 months. The Mark French case took a year, though there were a few hold-ups and some legal manoeuvring and stalling along the way.

However, given that here we have 34 players, and masses of evidence (300 pages according to the press), I would imagine it could easily take a year to get to appeal, and a substantial time afterwards to deliver a ruling. If the players get 12 months or less, there's perhaps no practical benefit in appealing as their bans would finish before they could get the appeal through.

On another topic, if the players are found guilty, and they appeal, they aren't eligible to resume playing (as they're banned). If on the other hand they're cleared, but WADA/ASADA/AFL appeal, they can continue playing until the appeal is heard (and a verdict reached). If they're found guilty on appeal, then the time they've served as provisional suspension would be deducted from any ban, which would start from the date of the appeal ruling.

(as I understand it ...)

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what did Rodriguez use? I think it's relevant when comparing him to the EFC situation to know whether he used an accepted performance enhancing drug or a dodgy peptide of unknown benefit which is nevertheless on the banned list.

steroids and EPO. Though performance enhancing is performance enhancing. Happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong, but the code doesn't discriminate in terms of the effectiveness of the substance/s taken.

Maybe I missed something here, but what happened to that clause where if more than 2 players in the same sporting team are found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, then the entire team faces sanctions (ie. can't compete)?

• Like 2

Maybe I missed something here, but what happened to that clause where if more than 2 players in the same sporting team are found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, then the entire team faces sanctions (ie. can't compete)?

tbh ...no ones sure where this might go. Unchartered territory for WADA with respect to a team in an inclusive competition. I watch with interest.

• Like 1

Bombers 2015 players manual!

670px-Survive-a-Plane-Crash-Step-6Bullet

Sorry, earlier I posted a you tube clip, which I removed. I didn't play the full clip when I posted it. It was in poor taste.

Anyway the moral to the message was the Essendon players can kiss their aszes goodbye.

Edit:- Backflip after stuff up. I had an Abbott earlier. So I made a captains call and removed the evidence.

Edited by ManDee