• Podcast     

Dom Barry steps away from AFL

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was on the Marngrook footy show, I watch that instead of the other drivel, he was interviewed in Alice Springs, playing with the NT Thunder in NEAFL and working at a college. Also it was stated th

I feel bad for not caring, but I really wasn't all that excited about his prospects.

I'm sure the experts will be "thrilled" with that information.

I have spent large chunks of time out in the red dirt, so i am not a complete novice.

When you sign a contract it is a commitment...Both ways

If he was unsure, don't sign.

The signing of indigenous players by this club over the last 5-8 years has been an absolute disaster...

Matt Rendell was 100% correct

Im sure Matt does indeed say Hello .

Theres a lot thats surly yet to be understood but quite possibly when we do it might not be what some of the pc police would have us follow.

Sometimes, what is...simply is.

I commend the lad for having the fortitude and conviction of his understanding of self to boldly step up and withdraw from the list. it would have been an immensely tough and soul searching decision to make.Im sure having made it though he feels much better and thats quite fine.

Indigenous or not the AFL isnt for everyone even if they think its their goal. Some things are not all they are cracked up to be, not for everyone.

Again , good luck Dom, whereever, whatever.

Wish Id got to play for the Dees :)

• Like 4

Im sure Matt does indeed say Hello .

Theres a lot thats surly yet to be understood but quite possibly when we do it might not be what some of the pc police would have us follow.

Sometimes, what is...simply is.

I commend the lad for having the fortitude and conviction of his understanding of self to boldly step up and withdraw from the list. it would have been an immensely tough and soul searching decision to make.Im sure having made it though he feels much better and thats quite fine.

Indigenous or not the AFL isnt for everyone even if they think its their goal. Some things are not all they are cracked up to be, not for everyone.

Again , good luck Dom, whereever, whatever.

Wish Id got to play for the Dees :)

Me too bb sadly I was not even close to having the ability.

This generation of players are a bunch of fragile pea hearts who have no loyalty and are all looking for the easy ride to success.

So when someone makes a very difficult decision and gives up what could have been a promising career for an alternative, back home in the Australian desert, they are taking the 'easy ride to success'? Not by my assessment.
  • Like 8

So when someone makes a very difficult decision and gives up what could have been a promising career for an alternative, back home in the Australian desert, they are taking the 'easy ride to success'? Not by my assessment.

i suppose it depends on your definition of success too.

For some it is a new car, giving your kids a private education, investment properties, international travel.

For others it is defined differently.

• Like 1

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell

Well, it sure as hell isn't funny, and as turtles aren't a particularly bountiful food source in Central Australia, I guess racial stereotyping is the go?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 2

Sounds like they aren't ruling out the possibility of him returning.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-11-12/barry-steps-away-from-afl

“The Melbourne Football Club will be working with Dom and will be making a submission to the AFL under the exceptional and compelling circumstances. This would, if approved, allow the opportunity for Dom to reengage with the Melbourne Football Club, should Dom rekindle his passion for AFL.

I think that presser speak which explains the Club is considerate about the poor boy but he has gone.

It certainly does not rule him in. Nor should it.

He has come to the realisation that he has other interests and directions in life that are more important to him than being an AFL footballer.

No shame in that.

Along with the club, I for one thought he was worth persevering with, though once again, it shows that "making it" is as much about the mental/psychological side as it is footballing ability.

You can't teach hunger.

• Like 3

No there is no point forcing a player to stay...

Just as there is no point signing on the dotted line if you do not intend to honour said contract.

I do get it & don't be so condescending...

No

Nasher was correct.

And I have spent ample time of my youth in red dirt and dirts of other colors too.

Edited by Qwerty30

I won't give you flack, just say that you have no idea whatsoever what is required to a. get drafted and b. stay on a list, that's why you are posting about players and not being posted about, yes they have a dream job, but the pressure it puts on young guys is ridiculous for something that is a sport

stopped being just sport saty when it went full professional

players are much better protected now (and much richer) than when it was a semi-pro competition (and as you say just a sport)

players who hang around on the list for 4 or 6 years now and not becoming a regular would not have lasted that long in the past i can assure you

• Like 2

It isn't just us loosing classy indigenous players - Dayle Garlett walked out on Hawthorn last year to go back to WA.

Maybe it is modern footy that makes it hard for these guys. In the past when offence was the go and doing the exciting stuff was the go it worked really well. But now 'two-way-running', defence, fitness, structures etc etc it just isn't enjoyable for them. So they end up going home. Sad trend for AFL footy.

Modern footy is surely hard for all guys, not just "these guys" - any player who isn't up to the physical and mental challenge of top level footy gets found out. Dom had the guts to admit it and move on. Many don't until much later.

Footy isn't everything in life and if Dom feels the need to return to his people then we should respect his decision.

Better to make the move now rather then struggle on if your heart is not in the job.

Good luck to the lad.

• Like 2

Kid's got to do what's best for him and his family. Courageous and considerate decision. I find it hard to imagine life without my family and culture around, and I've been in the same suburb for most of my life. It must be very tough coming for central Australia, even if via Ballarat, different climate, different culture different pace. AFL is a tough, professional, demanding industry. It's more than just a sport, far more, and it's not for everyone. I respect Dom's decision. All the best young man.

• Like 2

Kid's got to do what's best for him and his family. Courageous and considerate decision. I find it hard to imagine life without my family and culture around, and I've been in the same suburb for most of my life. It must be very tough coming for central Australia, even if via Ballarat, different climate, different culture different pace. AFL is a tough, professional, demanding industry. It's more than just a sport, far more, and it's not for everyone. I respect Dom's decision. All the best young man.

God you're a boring bastard!!

This really does make me sad. Dom did show a bit, had a few moments where the commentators raved. Perhaps more significantly for many on these boards, I am pretty sure given the huge focus on his defensive game that they were planning on using him as an upgrade on McKenzie in the next few years, a quicker tagger with much better skills. Obviously the powers that be at the club also thought he had a pretty good upside. I really do hope that he finds the desire to play AFL at some point and comes back to us.

This really does make me sad. Dom did show a bit, had a few moments where the commentators raved. Perhaps more significantly for many on these boards, I am pretty sure given the huge focus on his defensive game that they were planning on using him as an upgrade on McKenzie in the next few years, a quicker tagger with much better skills. Obviously the powers that be at the club also thought he had a pretty good upside. I really do hope that he finds the desire to play AFL at some point and comes back to us.

I don't think he'd be a McKenzie style tagger or to put it another way a Crowley style tagger. We used Cross in that role last year and if McKenzie steps up his disposal/attacking game he can take that job or we can find others. Roos isn't afraid to make good players defend and it worked really well with Vince and Jones at times.

But I certainly think Barry was groomed to be defensive on outside types. The Hill brothers, Lewis Jetta, even someone like Polec from Port. It was a good way to develop him as well. He's quick and has good endurance, can use the ball just couldn't win it. No better way to find out where to get the ball in games than following around some of the best in business.

I guess the positive is we lost Barry early enough in his development that we didn't miss much. We can use another late pick or rookie pick to find someone else with the combination of pace and endurance.

I feel bad for not caring, but I really wasn't all that excited about his prospects.

Same here!

I didn't think you could sink any lower than you have the past, but congratulations you have managed it, he didn't return unfit, he trained last week, and I stood next to him

Not arguing with you. But I first read about this news this afternoon on News.com.au.

It said that he had turned up to preseason in bad shape. The article has since been updated and the passage regarding this is no longer there.

• Like 1

Doesn't want to play football then no point in him being here.

Good luck in whatever you get into, Dom.