AFL National Draft 2014 Picks 2 & 3

Sigil

i always thought the chances were good, and never bought this 'Petracca is definite number 1 pick' business

I think the temptation will be great for the Saints to take McCartin so he can learn off Riewoldt before he retires

HH I have always wanted to think the same thing, that it made sense for the Aints to apprentice McCartin to the role. But footy is footy and odd things happen ( often to us..lol )

Not long now :)

Thanks for your prompt response, I've come to rely on it.

I'm not following you around, you're unavoidable. You've had 16,000 posts since 2007 and I've had 3000 since 2004.

I had you on ignore for a while but I found the forum didn't make sense because half of the content was missing and it was difficult to follow the discussion so now I don't have you on ignore and I find the discussion more difficult to follow.

But I continue to come here because there are some really excellent posters like Chaser, rj, hh, the "goods" 'oil and 'vibes, Qwerty30, Pennant, Nasher, DA and others. Excellent discussion with these blokes with no big [censored] waving.

Anyway thanks again on your prompt reply and have a nice day. :)

Do you think you are taking yourself a bit seriously here?

I am worried about you, BB.

You are an excellent poster. But you are defensive, obtuse, and prone to hounding those you feel to have aggrieved you or your views with enough prose? Or eloquence?

I saw it with Hannibal, but he is just a bully pulpit looking to be contrary at every opportunity.

You have been following me around for months picking on every little thing that gives you a chance to criticise me; we have now graduated to 'post count' and 'how promptly I reply to posts' as reflections on me as a poster...

Maybe you should consult one of the posters on your list that you do respect and ask them whether you should 'move on' and begin taking my posts at face value once again?

Thanks for your prompt response, I've come to rely on it.

I'm not following you around, you're unavoidable. You've had 16,000 posts since 2007 and I've had 3000 since 2004.

I had you on ignore for a while but I found the forum didn't make sense because half of the content was missing and it was difficult to follow the discussion so now I don't have you on ignore and I find the discussion more difficult to follow.

But I continue to come here because there are some really excellent posters like Chaser, rj, hh, the "goods" 'oil and 'vibes, Qwerty30, Pennant, Nasher, s-t-i-n-g-a, DA and others. Excellent discussion with these blokes with no big [censored] waving.

Anyway thanks again on your prompt reply and have a nice day. :)

Cheers Bob :)

• Like 1

When we took Watts our selection was leaked to the press (by us) prior to the draft. Schwabby wanted the publicity. The AFL didn't take kindly to it as they instruct clubs not to say who they are going to take as it removes a lot of the suspense from draft night.

If the instruction wasn't there then there would be little or no reason why the Saints wouldn't say who they are going to take.

The suggestion in the article is that we told them Lewis Taylor was our second back up selection. I can't believe clubs would tell the AFL that.

The suggestion in the article is that we told them Lewis Taylor was our second back up selection. I can't believe clubs would tell the AFL that.

Why not? I mean the top 5 or so were all but locked in by the time that happened, so was Luke McDonald at pick 8 or whatever it was. So why not tell a trustworthy AFL staffer who our 3rd choice for pick 9 was. We were going to get one of the three of them. So even if someone leaked Taylor as our 3rd choice we were going to end up with choice 2 or 1.

Clubs are clearly using the media right now to jockey for position. Swapping out small hints in order to get an idea of the picture. An AFL staffer is much less likely to leak than the media where right now everyone is using each other to try and sort out the order.

• Like 1

Direct quote from Alan Richardson in today's AFL.com.au article:

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."

Now that's either been taken out of context (quite possibly), or that is a blatant indication of them preparing their supporter base for overlooking Petracca.

I thought McCartin was likely after The Saints got rid of Stanley to Carlton leaving them short of tall forwards.

If the Saints go for Shaun McKernan from Adelaide they may see that as filling a key forward spot. Obviously he's not in the same talent range as McCartin, but McKernan is training with them nonetheless. This might leave them to pick Petracca. There's a plethora of reasonings about who will be picked at 1 and why. Thank god it'll be revealed in a couple of days and the the hard work of player development can begin.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Why not? I mean the top 5 or so were all but locked in by the time that happened, so was Luke McDonald at pick 8 or whatever it was. So why not tell a trustworthy AFL staffer who our 3rd choice for pick 9 was. We were going to get one of the three of them. So even if someone leaked Taylor as our 3rd choice we were going to end up with choice 2 or 1.

Clubs are clearly using the media right now to jockey for position. Swapping out small hints in order to get an idea of the picture. An AFL staffer is much less likely to leak than the media where right now everyone is using each other to try and sort out the order.

Gold :)

Salem was our first choice.

It was Lewis Taylor who was our second.

The article says Taylor was our second back up.

Direct quote from Alan Richardson in today's AFL.com.au article:

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."

Now that's either been taken out of context (quite possibly), or that is a blatant indication of them preparing their supporter base for overlooking Petracca.

It's pretty factual isn't it?

Quality fwds like Buddy, Roughy, and possibly Boyd, Hogan, Cameron , Tippet, Hawkins etc will now cost $700k-$1m a year. DO you take them now or pay up in a few years when mids are supposedy 'a dime a dozen'?

I get the dilemma

It's pretty factual isn't it?

Quality fwds like Buddy, Roughy, and possibly Boyd, Hogan, Cameron , Tippet, Hawkins etc will now cost $700k-$1m a year. DO you take them now or pay up in a few years when mids are supposedy 'a dime a dozen'?

I get the dilemma

I'm just glad we're not St Kilda. There's three fairly equal standouts (plus Heeney) in this crop, and we get two of them without the pressure of selecting the 'best' of the three.

They're going to take McCartin now I'm sure of it; let's remember, Stkilda were contemplating swapping pick 1 with GWS for (before we got pick 3) pick 3 and 6- knowing that GWS were keen on Petracca and us keen on Brayshaw. When we were gifted pick 3 for Frawley and started mentioning Mccartins name it spooked them- they could no longer bank on McCartin slipping past both of our picks, so they keep 1 and take the forward they need. That article backs up those thoughts.

Getting pick 3 has put a spanner in GWS's and Stkilda's plans. Delicious!

• Like 3

65-35 towards mccartin now I am told, concerns about petraccas testing don't seem to have any merit this is about the fact mccartin is the key forward and midfielders will be easier to find

• Like 4

Am not really fussed what 'reason' StKilda espouses in deciding against Petracca

2whfe5i.jpg

• Like 2