Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rating our draft period - so far

Deespicable

I like it.

Lumumba and Garlett are walk-ins to the starting 22. They both have pace and play an entertaining brand of footy, certainly got them for a lot less than what they're worth because of off-field stuff. Big win.

Getting Stretch with a 3rd rounder was a lot better than I was expecting and it won't put any unnecessary external pressure on him to develop.

Pick 3 for Frawley is best case scenario for sure, especially considering how ordinary he looked this season. There's a lot of talk about the 'big 4' in this year's draft and the gap between them and the rest. It can't be overstated how good it is to get another pick in the top 3.

As for Frost I see a lot of similarities to McDonald and we probably would've liked to get him cheaper than pick 23 but that's what it took and I'm happy to have him officially on the list to avoid the impending uncertainty (Hannath rings a bell).

The list looks considerably stronger for what has transpired in the past fortnight.

• Like 7

Those who are unhappy with the trade period were also doing a lot of posting buying the BS that Dangerfield, Beams, Joey Kennedy and others were on their way.

and a lot of those same people bought BS last year and will do again in 2015

You're not just disapointed your actually gullable

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 5

Those who are unhappy with the trade period were also doing a lot of posting buying the BS that Dangerfield, Beams, Joey Kennedy and others were on their way.

and a lot of those same people bought BS last year and will do again in 2015

You're not just disapointed your actually gullable

Yeah, but it was fun reading :)

That window on a high rise that a few of you are jumping out of was one we all created for ourselves.

They had publicly targeted certain players and they got them all, save for Dangerfield, for him we wait with a cheque for next year.

We have improved our starting 22 and we have the opportunity to find some star midfield talent in the draft.

They have to get November right.

Just have to.

If Roos cannot trade for them, his team absolutely has to draft/develop them. All we have is hope...and a long tale of disappointment to date. We need this team to break this cycle and we need a few more years to see if they do.

I hate time.

If the Frost deal didn't happen today, then our 5th pick in the draft would have been 83 instead of 53 .

An important benefit. To be fair, Frost and 40 for our 23 is a good trade by the MFC on its own.

We are talking about one of the best young FB in the game. GWS main FB for the year.

He finished 12th in GWS b and f and replaces Frawley who only finished 8th in ours. Plus we get pick 3

TICK

Edited by JumpinJeremyHowe
  • Like 2

Rohan Connolly ‏@rohan_connolly 18h18 hours ago

Don't mind what Dees have done, desperately needed some spark, Garlett & Lumumba offer enough of that and Frost handy prospect.

Funny how some DL posters think we had a woeful trade period and some dispassionate objective observers think we did well. Jay Clark rated us a distinction (using a fail, pass, distinction scale)

• Like 1

I thought we did quite well

While we didn't pull a big fish for us all to get excited about I still think our trading was good. We were able to get in some decent experience talent fairly cheaply and what looks like to be a ready made replacement for Chip.

The we need to sell the farm for mids myth I don't agree with. We don't have any problems getting the ball we have problems using it and scoring. Without going in to a long winded yawn fest, yes we need more mids and better quality - but I don't belive (like a lot on here) that selling the farm from one A grader would have 'saved' the MFC

It would help no doubt - but going in to the draft and having the option now to draft 2 high end talent (i acknowledge we've been poor in the past and our development needs work, but if i can acknowledge that others can acknowledge Viney and Roos who has Taylor now as well) have drafted well over the past year or 2.

Toump will remain to be a hot topic - but he's a running outside mid - if we can get enough boys to feed him the ball he'll be good for us, no doubts in my mind at all. What is he still 19 skinny kid, lets at least give him one more pre-season before declaring a total failure

Surely we can't get Brayshaw wtong (seems like a ready to go type - aka Dusty or Wines) and 3 who know

Anyway long winded - I thought we've done ok - there is enough talent on the list to say with natural improvement we may not make finals but we should win more then 4 games in 2015

• Like 2

Must say Frosts highlights package was impressive.

Agreed. After watching it I felt a lot more at ease with the decision.

We will continue to improve next season. We've added a bit more dash from the back which has a flow on effect, and the injection of two forwards in Garlett and Hogan will improve the scoreboard pressure. The extent of improvement may end up being moderate, but it will be enough to convince Jones he should play out his career at this club (which I'm sensing is the main fear people are having..).

Comfortable pass mark for me. Giving up picks 2 & 3 for Kennedy would have been a short sighted move and I'm glad it wasn't made. I look forward to adding two elite young talents to an increasingly exciting list.

Ok, so we are getting close to the end of the trade period and I thought I'd give my view and ask you to add yours.

As it shapes at moment, we appear likely to pick up Lumumba (as part of Clark deal) and Frost (for second rounder), so comments are based on these deals going through.

Big ticks:

1) Footy department decided that we needed pace (at last) - Garlett (short term), Stretch (long term) and Harry O (quality on way).

2) Footy department decided that we needed to give ourselves the best chance at getting a superstar and kept picks No.2 and No.3 (sure we offered them up for Dangerfield who clearly would have fitted the superstar category, but it looks like we will have two stabs at obtaining a future gun (yes, I know we have cocked these sort of picks up in past five years, but eventually we have to get one right).

3) Footy department recognised we are a little light on for key defenders with loss of Frawley and picked up Frost (deal still pending, but highly likely).

Little ticks

1) Footy department did not pay overs for Garlett and second rounders for Lumumba and Frost appears pretty much on the money as to their market standing at moment.

No tick (just ticked off)

1) We have not traded out any of our under-performing contracted players to get back into the second round. While this policy represents great loyalty by Roosy to the four guys we all talk about on other forums, it means we are not playing the business game.

As a result (because we will have no pick from No.3 through to about No.70) we now have no chance of getting a host of players including two that we should have been especially keen to try and get.

Exhibit A: Oscar McDonald - a tall defender/forward who we know comes from good country stock because he is the brother of Tom. He is tipped to be a late developer like his bother and expected to be taken about pick 40.

Exhibit B: Nakia Cockatoo - a quick, skilled tall midfielder from the NT. I have said this before, we should by now have set up an academy in the NT and we should be owning the area. Instead we just take the money from the NT government and put very little back into the community up there. As a result when potential role models like Nakia come up, we can do nothing but watch them walk away and get drafted by other clubs. Nakia is expected to go anywhere from pick 20-40, so again we will miss out on someone that might have become our promotional wildcard in Darwin and Alice Springs.

My final comment is on pick No.2 and No.3.

Whilst we all know that Roosy has been keen on Angus Brayshaw for some time and his highlights show that he fits the tall, tough midfielder description to a tee, who should we be taking at pick No.3 with him?

I have watched highlights of the key kids from the carnival matches and I've got to say I am not majorly impressed with what McCartin or Peter Wright did, yet I lean towards Wright because of his potential ruck ability with the Russian most likely being one year away from retirement. But does anyone have a clear view on No.3 (don't say Petracca, he's off to St Kilda).

4/10

need to get better at it.... & we have to have better players to trade out, & we have to get better so we can attract those 'A' graders in to our colours.

well all the Kings men are giving us 7's,,,,, 7/10

I say stop the 'spin doctoring' & just let it be... towing the company line. we almost got a medium pass. just fell shy of the half way line not a fail & not a pass.

Its just is what it is... we lost Frawley & Clark, for P-3 & Lamumba, but got savaged for P-23 by an unhappy saint. a marginal Loss overall.

People talk about Toumpas emerging at last but we also have Salem to make a real impact and i am confident that those two will surprise a lot of Demonlanders after the benefit of a second pre-season. Also we have both Harnes and Hunt who we have yet to see anything of yet!

• Like 2

Pick 3 for Frawley - Massive win. Not a chance of getting a pick that good at the trade table.

Stretch for pick 42 - Win. Was nominated at pick 29 so that's a bargain.

Garlett for pick 61 - Win. Capable goal kicker when inform.

Lumumba for Clark - Win. Lumumba get out on the park unlike Clark, could be a loss if Clark can actually get out on the park.

Frost, pick 40 and 53 for pick 23 - Loss. We paid overs for a player that's played a major part of his football at NEAFL level and pick 40 and 53 aren't great picks by any stretch of the imagination.

Pick 12 for Trengove and pick 23 falling through - Loss. A pick upgrade was a bargain for this injury prone spud, now we can't even get pick 112 for him.

4 wins out of 6 ain't too bad. I'd give us a C+

Brisbane are the only team that deserve an A. Picking up Beams and Christensen and basically only losing pick 5 and Patfull is a bargain. The rest did so so or did nothing.

We have to get an A on draft night, can't afford to stuff that up, we've done it too often.

Pick 3 for Frawley - Massive win. Not a chance of getting a pick that good at the trade table.

Stretch for pick 42 - Win. Was nominated at pick 29 so that's a bargain.

Garlett for pick 61 - Win. Capable goal kicker when inform.

Lumumba for Clark - Win. Lumumba get out on the park unlike Clark, could be a loss if Clark can actually get out on the park.

Frost, pick 40 and 53 for pick 23 - Loss. We paid overs for a player that's played a major part of his football at NEAFL level and pick 40 and 53 aren't great picks by any stretch of the imagination.

Pick 12 for Trengove and pick 23 falling through - Loss. A pick upgrade was a bargain for this injury prone spud, now we can't even get pick 112 for him.

4 wins out of 6 ain't too bad. I'd give us a C+

Brisbane are the only team that deserve an A. Picking up Beams and Christensen and basically only losing pick 5 and Patfull is a bargain. The rest did so so or did nothing.

We have to get an A on draft night, can't afford to stuff that up, we've done it too often.

stretch for 42 doesn't count as a win, because we would have had to use 23 without some help. so we were bluffed out of 23 in any case, because we couldn't organise a pick in the early to mid 30's.

surely we had someone to trade for a pick in the 30's?

no definately no where near a 'C'+...

• Like 1

stretch for 42 doesn't count as a win, because we would have had to use 23 without some help. so we were bluffed out of 23 in any case, because we couldn't organise a pick in the early to mid 30's.

surely we had someone to trade for a pick in the 30's?

no definately no where near a 'C'+...

Sorry I don't understand Stretch was supposed to go in the 20's so if we used pick 23 it would be at best a break even deal. 42 is a win.

The Frost deal was a bad deal which I already mentioned and who would we trade a pick in the 30's? There's no one. Watts is worth more than a pick in the 30's, Garland an Howe have done more than Frost.

What would you mark it then?

Find it hard to be critical of what we've done. In terms of netting a gun from another club, there's obviously been no success there but the players I presume we'd have looked at, the Dangerfields, Shueys et cetera, have had to want to come in the first place and then their clubs aren't going to want to trade them anyway unless serious overs was paid. If there was any chance of nabbing a wantaway Treloar or Shiel, that evaporated when Boyd left for the Dogs - GWS weren't going to allow a second gun kid leave. Can't imagine Sydney would have contemplated trading Kennedy with an embargo in place, with them getting Heeney and with no need to draft forwards. One of the things that concerned me was that we were going to trade highly valuable draft picks and eat up a sizeable chunk of our cap room on the one player. I think when there is a mechanism to get players for free, giving away high draft picks meant that I didn't think we could really win from a purely list management perspective out of doing it even if we did land a big fish. I am pleased we have a good strong draft position and I think it is critical that the club each year retains a draft hand that at least correlates to its finishing position on the ladder. Eventually, the cyclical effects of the draft will help us up the ladder and realistically, getting a flock of talented kids at the club at the one time is the best chance we have of being something.

Garlett and Lumumba if they aren't disruptive influences are good trades, with the club making the best of the bad Mitch Clark situation. Sam Frost trade to me is ok. If you bundled 40 and 53 together I'm sure a club at 30 would be interested, so the value of 40 and 53 is under-rated by many and the value of 23 over-rated. I'm not sure the variance between pick 23 and 40 is that high so I don't really think the downgrade is of huge detriment. Practically, at 23 there would be four or five players the club would be interested in and one or two of them will still be there at 40 and I like the fact we have an extra pick in a deeper even draft. As for actually getting Frost, he's a terrific athlete and a very good shell to work with. The issue is whether he has the nous to actually shut an opponent out of the game. It's a decent gamble and we needed a developmental key position player in a year when they are thin on the ground outside the top 15 picks in the draft. The big negative for me is that Trengove, who was a likely source of improvement probably won't get on the park...

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 5

For once we turned over the bottom players on the list (Mitch and Chip excluded) and actually added 2-3 players to address direct needs in our best 22. In the process we still hold picks 2-3 in a good draft year.

Grade it however you want, I'm not interested in grades.I am interested in the direction of the club and this year's trade period has us heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

Funny how some DL posters think we had a woeful trade period and some dispassionate objective observers think we did well. Jay Clark rated us a distinction (using a fail, pass, distinction scale)

Pete Ryan from the AFL and Terry Wallace both gave us B.

Wallace was pretty impressed with the way we went about things.

Afl.com.au gave us a B

Herald Sun gave us a Distinction

What's your critique? What will it be next week?

We didn't overpay with ND2 and ND3 - that is the way I look at it. We could have got a deal done for those picks, absolutely. But the club didn't see value in those deals and so we didn't do it. That's a good thing!

The other clubs probably thought we would be clamouring over ourselves to give them ND3 for their 7th best mid and a pat on the head.

Well, how about we get two of the best three mids in this draft class? How about we do that.

You want to critique a trade period - come back here in 3-5 years time.

We traded McLean for ND11 and thought we won. We then traded Gysberts for Pederen and thought we lost.

You look like a sheep walking on its hind legs trying to definitely evaluate a trade period a day after its done.

• Like 2

Afl.com.au gave us a B

Herald Sun gave us a Distinction

You look like a sheep walking on its hind legs trying to definitely evaluate a trade period a day after its done.

I didnt realize i wrote for afl.com and the herald sun

sweet

Edited by hogans_heroes