Rating our draft period - so far

Deespicable

You're the most short sighted, unrealistic poster on this board outside of a few.

For answering the question posed by the OP? Our trade period thus far has been underwhelming, and these players aren't going to move us up the ladder. We desperately need more quality midfielders to help out Vince, Tyson and Jones. So far it's all quiet on the western front.

We showed promise in the first half of the season with a few lucky wins, but the quality of our team is better reflected in the last half of the season. I think impatient would be a better word to describe my frustration rather than shortsighted. If we spend another off-season using our best picks on 18 year olds we simply won't be able to compete with the upper echelon of teams who are simply cherry picking all the talent from the "feeder clubs" in exchange for yet more draft picks.

What is the point of evaluating it 'so far'. Only about 20% of the average number of trades in previous years over all teams had been done when this was posted. Let's wait till Thursday pm.

Now lets get Jarryd Lyons for the midfield/half forward and Gwilt in PSD to give us a left footed rebounder/3rd tall in the backline

Gwilt signed with Essendon???

Would like Lyons as a Delisted FA

Petracca and Brayshaw in the draft

Suddenly it's been a good offseason

So far I think we have lost far more then we have gained.

Really sweating on getting the draft right for us to improve next year

I know we're going around in circles here - We've brought in Garlett & H and hopefully Frost

Frawley is a better KPP then frost no doubt

But how do you equate the summary when of the two we've lost one bascially didn't play for us and wouldn't have ever again.

Frawley for Frost is like for like - Frawley is clearly more developed but Frost, T Mac, Garland, Dunn, Jetta and mids would be a sold back like

Some FA picks

Frost (clearly counted already but we don't have him yet...)

a mid or 2 like Robinson or Lyons

Plus some real good young talent from the draft (Petracca and Brayshaw would be a dream come true)

And there is enough there with some natural improvement of the squad to say we could win more then 4 games in 2015.

Its not all bad

Are we assuming rival clubs are dying to give away quality players? Is that why there is disappointment?

So far = Underwhelmed.

Clark was a certain goner and Lumumba was near certain to come in.

Garlett & pick 79 for pick 61 was a nice deal with us coming out on top.

Overall I will be very disappointed if we go to the draft with picks 2 & 3.

Nothing against the likes of McCartin, Petracca or Brayshaw it's just they are U18 "prospects" that will take years to develop into consistent and competent AFL quality players and for me that's a new rebuild from scratch.

I would be far more excited if we use at least one (or both) of those picks in a trade to get an A-grader like Dangerfield or Kennedy or near B-grader like Mitchell (will eventually be an A-grader) and somehow acquire a late teen pick to go after Cockatoo in the draft.

I would be far more excited if we use at least one (or both) of those picks in a trade to get an A-grader like Dangerfield or Kennedy or near B-grader like Mitchell (will eventually be an A-grader) and somehow acquire a late teen pick to go after Cockatoo in the draft.

Where does it say the rival clubs have to give up these players?

I know we're going around in circles here - We've brought in Garlett & H and hopefully Frost

Frawley is a better KPP then frost no doubt

But how do you equate the summary when of the two we've lost one bascially didn't play for us and wouldn't have ever again.

Frawley for Frost is like for like - Frawley is clearly more developed but Frost, T Mac, Garland, Dunn, Jetta and mids would be a sold back like

Some FA picks

Frost (clearly counted already but we don't have him yet...)

a mid or 2 like Robinson or Lyons

Plus some real good young talent from the draft (Petracca and Brayshaw would be a dream come true)

And there is enough there with some natural improvement of the squad to say we could win more then 4 games in 2015.

Its not all bad

Are we assuming rival clubs are dying to give away quality players? Is that why there is disappointment?

It just looks like we are only trying to replace what we lost rather then really build on what we had. I'm sure Roos and the boys are doing their best but so far we don't have a better then this year.

It just looks like we are only trying to replace what we lost rather then really build on what we had. I'm sure Roos and the boys are doing their best but so far we don't have a better then this year.

Agreed

I guess the only point I am trying to make is - you can only BUY what's available

There might not be any quality mids out there for us to buy

It's not ideal we get 2 kids who are unknown commodities over a ready to go gun like Danger or Kennedy - but that really answers why rivals don't want to give them up either....

Also there is still the Delisted FA period - we could top up with a Lyons or Robinson as well

Lets not get too depressed

Agreed

I guess the only point I am trying to make is - you can only BUY what's available

There might not be any quality mids out there for us to buy

It's not ideal we get 2 kids who are unknown commodities over a ready to go gun like Danger or Kennedy - but that really answers why rivals don't want to give them up either....

Also there is still the Delisted FA period - we could top up with a Lyons or Robinson as well

Lets not get too depressed

The real uphill battle is top quality players don't want to come to Melbourne. Apart from money why would they? There are 8 other Melbourne based clubs in better positions then us. We won't be a premiership contender for years. Why would a Dangerfield or Kennedy want to come to a club that struggles to even be competitive for any sustained period of time.

I don't know why any Melbourne supporter genuinely thought we were chance at Dangerfield.

It's a pass mark for me.

We got Garlett for next to nothing. Lumumba should cost us no more then Clark and then Frost should sort itself out. As others have said, Pick 23 is overs, so I think Fitzpatrick is the man most likely to be traded to a 3rd club (Carlton or Bulldogs) for something to be passed onto GWS and Frost sent to us. Frost for Fitzpatrick sounds about fair to me.

Blease, Strauss & Tapscoot all OOC so they'll just be delisted. The only other dead weight on our list that I really want us to clear out this off season is Evans, and that could still happen for something like Pick 87 etc.

Roos looks to be addressing our need for outside run and some tall man depth which we need with Frost's ability to play forward and back as a replacement for Chip.

We could still go to the draft with Picks 2, 3, 23, 42 (Stretch) & 83 (Jetta). Grab Brayshaw, McCartin & at 23 maybe someone like Cockatoo as you've suggested or maybe another rugged midfielder like Maynard and have another father son on the list, although Brayden's dad fell 92 games short for automatic qualification....

But I'd take McCartin over Wright as Wright's not a natural ruck as I've discovered doing some more research. He's more a CHF,.

Roos has said publicly he won't take Wright. Does not trust the draft for talls.

It’s hard to be too down on what has transpired.

• Garlett is well worth a punt for #61.
  • Frawley is not worth #3.
  • Clark was retired a month ago and so we can say we got a free Lumumba.
  • Frost has nominated us and we have leverage through the PSD.
  • Dangerfield looks like staying put but hasn’t signed and is still a free agent next year. And Hogan, Brayshaw and #3 will make us look a more attractive option for him next year and we can bank salary cap room.
  • The real downer is Trengove’s foot injury.
  • Like 6

So far = Underwhelmed.

Clark was a certain goner and Lumumba was near certain to come in.

Garlett & pick 79 for pick 61 was a nice deal with us coming out on top.

Overall I will be very disappointed if we go to the draft with picks 2 & 3.

Nothing against the likes of McCartin, Petracca or Brayshaw it's just they are U18 "prospects" that will take years to develop into consistent and competent AFL quality players and for me that's a new rebuild from scratch.

Couldn't agree more!

Very underwhelmed...hoping for something big!!

But hope is fading faster than trengoves health...:-/

Injury aside, we probably go in with a stronger round 1 team in 2015 than we had at round 1 2014.

That is without yet drafting in the kids.

Nett effect... incomings are definitely of greater value than the outgoings.

given we have scored zero ready to play midfielders it would/should be a fail

So where do we pick up these A grade midfielder from??

According to Mahoney....we tried to off load 2 and maybe 3 but either clubs didn't want to let them go or the player concerned didn't want to come to us....Just wondering

F+ for me. Our record with high draft picks inspires zero confidence, so you could hardly claim that picks 2 and 3 will replace Frawley's contribution in the short term. Stretch is miles off being ready for senior football. None of Lumumba, Garlett and Frost help the midfield, which is where 99% of games are won.

Given the deals involving picks 19, 21 and 25 this year, I'm bitterly disappointed we haven't been able to utilise pick 23. We were never going to land a big fish, but not using 23 for something more significant than a mid range draftee is a real shame.

• Like 2

F+ for me. Our record with high draft picks inspires zero confidence, so you could hardly claim that picks 2 and 3 will replace Frawley's contribution in the short term. Stretch is miles off being ready for senior football. None of Lumumba, Garlett and Frost help the midfield, which is where 99% of games are won.

Given the deals involving picks 19, 21 and 25 this year, I'm bitterly disappointed we haven't been able to utilise pick 23. We were never going to land a big fish, but not using 23 for something more significant than a mid range draftee is a real shame.

Hogan will replace Frawley rather handily.

2 and 3 will give immediate depth to the midfield, and as link players - Garlett and Lumumba will provide help to the midfield.

I agree that the midfield is incredibly important and the pointy end of the draft is where you find the midfield stars of the future. We shouldn't give those up just to placate impatient supporters.

We have to get those decisions right. And, evidently, what clubs are offering us for those picks is below what those clubs will see in the top 3 pick they are trying to steal.

• Like 2