WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - SAM FROST

Gipsy Danger

Oh, and if you want a laugh just read this thread!!

Now you know I normally don't like what you write you but this is a reasonable sort of post.

It captures the essence of the forum groupthink which blows in the breeze.

Some are immune and it is those people that I tend to enjoy reading most.

In such an emotional game, objectivity is a rare commodity.

Edited by jabberwocky

I used to think Demonland was a footy forum but now I realize . . . . . .

BB, the thing I've slowly come to terms with over the many years we've been doing this forum thing, is that Demonland is obviously a microcosm of society. So many people like to see things in black and white. People like their history to be neat and simple. And people can change their seemingly very passionate and emotive views really really quickly. On Demonland we often talk about 'group think'. Well it's real. We've actually constructed our own version of MFC history (particularly the last two decades). And their is no place in that history for grey. Bailey was too soft. Neeld was too harsh. Roos is a God and Jimmy is immortal. Those seen as failures have no redeeming features. Those viewed positively are worshiped and beyond question. The posters on this site that I value are the ones who look for the grey and challenge accepted Demonland thinking.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 8

Without going into the trade, what I do like is he meets the important criteria for deep key defenders of pace off the mark and athleticism.

Despite all our drafting woes over the years, one thing we have done fairly well is recruit key defenders. Frawley was an early pick but a great pick, while McDonald and Garland were excellent late selections.

When I think about these players the common denominator is pace and athleticism - Frawley and McDonald are exceptionally quick and agile for their size, while Garland also has some pace but has those long arms that allow him to get a fist in.

They can all be a bit wonky with the footy in hand and with their decision making, but defensively it's really their athletic attributes that make them strong in this area.

Frost has elements of McDonald - raw, but the necessary athletic attributes.

Let's hope he can develop as well as McDonald has.

• Like 4

His recruitment means that we can really focus ourselves on other areas. If we do draft two elite young midfielders then we may be an experienced midfielder, a ruck/forward and a creative half back away from completing our jigsaw.

If we can pick 2 Mids with Picks 2 & 3.

Our next stop is a full forward. I've mentioned this in a previous post. But Taylor Walker should be our man in free agency next season!

I'm wrapped with getting Frosty! And I think he will be better than Spud.

Hasn't even played a game for us and he is going to be my favourite player...

What a highlights reel. The guy is a big unit, and a good user of the ball. I don't think you could put together a highlights reel like that for Frawley.

• Like 2

When I think about these players the common denominator is pace and athleticism - Frawley and McDonald are exceptionally quick and agile for their size, while Garland also has some pace but has those long arms that allow him to get a fist in.

With Lumumba and Frost (though I wouldn't necessarily expect Frost to be a 22-gamer next year), what are the chances of us being a bit less stagnant moving the ball up the ground next season? Hogan up front as a target helps as well. Keeping possession seemed to be valued this year, and with the personnel we have even that was a difficult ask.

What a highlights reel. The guy is a big unit, and a good user of the ball. I don't think you could put together a highlights reel like that for Frawley.

Check out Blease's highlights. The guy's a gun!

• Like 3

The highlight video where he tackles Gunston and they don't pay it holding the ball, frost gives him a little nudge whilst he is in the ground and they pay push in the back... Makes me so furious at ridiculous decisions like that!

• Like 1

bush demon, on 17 Oct 2014 - 2:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Check out Blease's highlights. The guy's a gun!

The Blease highlights were against boys: the Frost highlights are actual AFL games. There is a difference.

I used to think Demonland was a footy forum but now I realize it's more a comedy forum where footy is occasionally discussed - certainly it's a secondary consideration.

Some time ago I started to read the Potential Trades Tread and couldn't help but to laugh (I couldn't face the Danger thread). Then when I thought people were getting a grip in that thread a bloke comes along and starts asking riddles. Pretty funny and everyone seems to enjoy it - so many users on at one time. When that riddle isn't solved a Riddler comes along and asks another and CIP chips in with another but the joke is wearing thin and while others try to copy they can't match the originality of the first. Sadly the riddle is never solved. As it happens this didn't turn out to be the most important time for the MFC since 2000 and as far as I'm aware the riddle has never been explained (perhaps the answer is somewhere deep in the Danger thread but I'm all laughed out at the moment). But the riddler is still much admired and defended by many who so like to be involved in the jokes even if they are the butt.

So then this morning I start reading this thread thinking that the comedy is running a bit thin. I'm shocked. I reckon if I looked closely I could see blood on my screen. Screams, abuse, distress and anger pour out. Then a bloke gets up and says "hey, this mightn't have been so bad after all". He's told he's a fool but a few clear thinkers follow. A crack in the dam of hostility appears. Then the MFC play the cruelest joke of all. They put Sam Frosts highlight package up and a couple of photo's. It's about 3 minutes long and surprise surprise shows Slammin Sam doing ok (I've often wondered what the complementary package of "Sam's greatest mistakes" would look like and wonder if GWS will put that up).

Then there is a tremor, the dam starts to look seriously shaky and water is flowing faster now.

All of a sudden the crack becomes a gash the water flows faster and faster, the clouds clear and all is good with the world. What was the inept sacrifice of pick 23 now becomes a master stroke of professional list management. From being screwed we've identified our man, courted him with professionalism and been decisive in our actions. Rather than buckling in the wake of Saints bluff we've acted decisively and done what it takes. We've backed ourselves in. Well done MFC!! This kid has gone from not being worth anything but a very late round pick (after all an aging second string ruckman from the same club was traded for a much later pick) to someone who will be better than an All Australian key position backman sort by most of the top clubs and who's new contract was deemed to be worth the top level compensation.

What a win! Frost > All Australian dud.

Sam welcome to the madhouse that is the MFC. You'll have a lovely honeymoon until your first game. Even then you'll be cut a little slack but in time, like poor old Tommy McDonald, you'll be vilified and posters in threads will start questioning your credentials and condemning you to the dustbin of failed MFC trades and draft picks.

But just remember, underneath it all there will be Saty continuing to support you and the silent minority appreciating your efforts and understanding that you are a 21 year old key position defender playing on the oppositions best forwards and learning your trade. Good luck mate.

Oh, and if you want a laugh just read this thread!!

You are correct Tim, quite a chuckle particularly the offerings of luminaries like WEERIDEE et al.

What an impressive interview that is on the MFC website. Seems like a good kid. I must admit I hadn't seen much of him, but I'm excited by what he can bring to the MFC. Welcome, Sam.

His recruitment means that we can really focus ourselves on other areas. If we do draft two elite young midfielders then we may be an experienced midfielder, a ruck/forward and a creative half back away from completing our jigsaw.

Yeah, once the midfield is strengthened again next off season (hopefully via FA), a forward partner for Hogan is the go, IMO. Dawes can play third fiddle. So we should be looking for a bloke that can ruck and play forward. I hope Gawn can increase his fitness base and play that role in 2015 though. Can't see it happening though on his 2014 showings.

If we can pick 2 Mids with Picks 2 & 3.

Our next stop is a full forward. I've mentioned this in a previous post. But Taylor Walker should be our man in free agency next season!

I think wright and one of petracca / brayshaw

Gawn and hogan are no certainties and proppy

Dawes is a tryer but no superstar

I don't think that matters. Normally you wouldn't pay pick 23 for an unproven player that you can potentially get in the PSD. But I'm happy with an extra pick in the 3rd round, as talent can easily be plucked there.

Actually I'm pretty sure every single year pick 23 goes on an unproven player. Very happy we used this pick on someone we had seen in 15+ AFL games, not 15+ SANFL games.

I read on here two days ago someone saying we should use pick 2/3 on guns mids and 23 on the best young tall.....seems we did exactly that.

Nice work Dees. Welcome Frosty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...