Dayle Garlett in Custody

Cards13

he called my post a stupid comment whilst simultaneously sticking up for a guy that put innocent lives at risk

Might wanna pull him up on that first, then move on to me

I am not unsympathetic to your argument hh

I just don't see name calling achieving anything.

Before the "ice" scourge there was the "heroin" scourge and before that was the "lsd" with a few other drugs inbetween

Even before that was the underage drinking which we all did in our youth and smoking the horrid "Weed"

I don't have the answer to the problem but it has been going on since time began Youth will always experiment with new things be that drugs or other very dangerous practises. Some will come through this and others will fall by the wayside.

The one thing I know is that a whole lot of these temptations are due to peer group pressure.

I think of all the drugs that are around today...Ice is the most dangerous that I have seen.

Yep, it's creating huge problems.

Before the "ice" scourge there was the "heroin" scourge and before that was the "lsd" with a few other drugs inbetween

Even before that was the underage drinking which we all did in our youth and smoking the horrid "Weed"

I don't have the answer to the problem but it has been going on since time began Youth will always experiment with new things be that drugs or other very dangerous practises. Some will come through this and others will fall by the wayside.

The one thing I know is that a whole lot of these temptations are due to peer group pressure.

I think of all the drugs that are around today...Ice is the most dangerous that I have seen.

Agree Bossdog

In my youth last century booze was the big number available it took some time to go from a few drinks to being an Alcoholic.

Ice takes a couple of usages and you are turned into an anti social nutter.

I hate the world I am leaving my grand children and there is zero I can do about it besides guiding them.

• Like 1

Without wanting to start any racial slanging match and I premise this comment with a note that I do not know a whole heap about aboriginal communities so I'd be happy for someone to give me real facts..

We regularly are told of kids heading back home to their remote small communities, and often hear how close and family oriented they are which makes me beg the question, how do they let kids like this.. Get like this?! These elders of the community must take some responsibility for these lads running amok. Jurrah heading home and us watching his life completely fall away by the wayside is just another example of a man who was seemingly flourishing in a stable environment and has gone home with no one to put any sort of brakes on his behaviour. It's truly hitting such a devestating stage because in such a media headline driven sport world we live in now, these bad stories do get far more publicity than the good deeds of others.. But the words of Matt Rendell do still ring true to an extent.

This one in particular is just truly sad, because by all reports he did and always had one dream to play AFL footy, but the grog won the battle in good vs evil. Can't help but draw parallels with famous celebs over the years who's lives have fallen away in front of our eyes ala Amy Winehouse, fingers crossed he sorts his life out before its too late... Too many more videos going 200 down the middle of the road and it won't be long

Oh oh that's it. You have started it . the PC brigade will be out in force. How dare you...

• Like 1

Oh oh that's it. You have started it . the PC brigade will be out in force. How dare you...

I prefer the "recognising that it is too simple and grossly unfair to make cultural assumptions about a person because they're aboriginal" brigade myself.

Arrow compared Garlett to Jurrah, ffs. If it's "PC" to recognise that the situations don't even come close to being related, then fine, I'm PC as, bro.

• Like 6

There is a major difference between not tolerating what Gartlett has done as opposed to being intolerant.

That he is foolish and irresponsible is undeniable.

That he could have killed others is unacceptable.

However I for one prefer to try and understand what drives individuals to such behavior rather than washing my hands of "wastes of oxygen".

Again, I do not condone in any way, shape or form his behavior and I also realise that my desire to understand these problems in the hope of reducing them is a pipe dream but I think I prefer my delusional pipe dream as opposed to a harsh wiping my hands of troubled souls.

( let the flaying commence)

• Like 6

There is a major difference between not tolerating what Gartlett has done as opposed to being intolerant.

That he is foolish and irresponsible is undeniable.

That he could have killed others is unacceptable.

However I for one prefer to try and understand what drives individuals to such behavior rather than washing my hands of "wastes of oxygen".

Again, I do not condone in any way, shape or form his behavior and I also realise that my desire to understand these problems in the hope of reducing them is a pipe dream but I think I prefer my delusional pipe dream as opposed to a harsh wiping my hands of troubled souls.

Not from me nutbean your attitude is admirable.

Not from me nutbean your attitude is admirable.

admirable but alas it is like watching a kid who has built a sand castle at the beach and is trying to stop the incoming tide from washing it away.

If the problem with Gartlett is ice then I do feel sorry for anyone he comes in contact with and for the boy himself - if help and a turnaround is not forthcoming . The destructive nature of this particular drug use makes most other drugs look like childrens lollies. ( well not exactly children lollies ...)

Just hang on till I get my PC uniform on, junior. The corset takes a while.

Drug abuse certainly is a big problem amongst Aboriginal kids, rural, remote and urban. IMO Garlett's behaviour suggests an urge to destroy himself - he wouldn't be the first to commit vehicular suicide, and suicide is well understood to be a major cause of death amongst young Aborigines. It will be terrible if he takes someone with him, I'm sure that's not his intention, but concern about his possible victims from posters who transparently don't give much of a stuff about other people generally, strikes me as ironic (euphemism).

• Like 2

Im supposed to give a [censored] about a drug fuelled loser who put the lives of everyone he drove past at risk?

How about you show some consideration for people who have lost someone close to them thanks to drugged up/drunk losers that got behind the wheel of a car

Garlett is a clown

Not denying Gartlett is a foolish young man, nor that he might put his and other's lives at risk. And it's offensive to insinuate that I don't care about people who have been innocently affected by drivers under the influence.

Gartlett's life is worth rehabilitating rather than just another life (or lives) lost on the roads or as a result of drugs. That's why we should care.

And for the record I called your comment stupid, not you.

• Like 4

well we could incarcerate him on a prison hulk and then transport him to botany bay.........oh, wait a minute

• Like 1

I get it. You'd rather every young person who steals a car and gets caught speeding dies. Nice.

I didn't say that, but I said I couldn't care less what happens to idiots like this so long as they don't screw other people's lives up around them. You want to make an issue of what other people here think about losers like this guy & Jurrah? Go for it, but don't put words in my mouth ever again. Keep defending losers who do know better but choose to be idiots. Feel free.... Plenty of lost causes in jails aroun the country for you to defend & feel sorry for. If he had've had an accident & killed a family member of yours I'm sure you would still feel for this [censored] yeah?

Gartlett's life is worth rehabilitating rather than just another life (or lives) lost on the roads or as a result of drugs.

That's what you think & you don't speak for all of us clearly. His life is not worth saving until he takes responsibilty for his actions & genuinely seeks help to change his ways. He has shunned both of those repeatedly now, thus he's a waste of space. IMO.

I didn't say that, but I said I couldn't care less what happens to idiots like this so long as they don't screw other people's lives up around them. You want to make an issue of what other people here think about losers like this guy & Jurrah? Go for it, but don't put words in my mouth ever again. Keep defending losers who do know better but choose to be idiots. Feel free.... Plenty of lost causes in jails aroun the country for you to defend & feel sorry for. If he had've had an accident & killed a family member of yours I'm sure you would still feel for this [censored] yeah?

What I find interesting is you have taken exception at words being put into your mouth yet in the same breath you suggest "Keep defending losers who do know better but choose to be idiots"

Please point me to anyone, anywhere who has defended his actions ?

• Like 1

Maybe he is ashamed of himself and wants out permanently....

He had a great chance & they only come along to a few....and he decided to let it go....

I am not sure troubled kids like Gartlett actually "decide" on things - I think they act impulsively and suffer the consequences. It does not absolve him of responsibility but I don't believe a lot of deep thought process goes into many of his actions.

I don't think it is a case of "I don't want to play football so I am going to be a dick" - it is more of case of acting like a dick therefore clubs won't invite him to play football.

You said that before he kills or injures someone else "he should go" and that he's a "waste of space". Your words. So yeah, you did effectively say that a young man who drove a stolen car at speed should not live.

I did not defend or feel sorry for Gartlett at all, didn't even mention Jurrah, so it's you that are putting words into other's mouths. In fact I said Gartlett was a foolish young man who needs rehabilitation. How that happens I do not know. But I do not think he should die instead.

I've had a very close friend die as a passenger to a drunk driver nearly 10 yrs ago. So your assumptions are wrong, again.