2014 Player Review - # 16 Dean Kent

Demonland

An emerging youngster who showed some flashes of very good form in the club's graveyard forward line particularly in the latter part of the season.

Games MFC 2014 13

Career Total 28

Goals MFC 2014 12

Career Total 22

Games CSFC 2014 3

Goals CSFC 2014 4

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 64 votes

I'm a big fan of Kent and always have been ever since I saw that initial U18 video released by the MFC when he was drafted.

I really admire his ability to back himself and take the game on and sometime that somewhat selfish attitude (meant in a good way) to have a crack at the goals, or alternatively send those beautiful kicks off to a player (Tom McDonald) at the top of the square. When he's out on the ground or has the ball I am always confident that he'll use it well or generally make the correct decision.

I also ran into him in the airport last year post season heading back home over to Perth and he seemed like a good young bloke with the few words we exchanged.

• Like 1

This kid ha got it. Second season, showing more than others in their 5+ season. Lock him down for his career MFC.

Another preseason and some good mentoring/coaching should refine this rough gem. I dont want him to lose his dare-do-well attitude though. The kid's got some verve.

In a sea of blacmange hes a bit of Cherry Ripe !!

They key part of the opening line is "some flashes of very good form". There's no doubt his best could be pretty good but, like most of our players, his worst is shocking. If he can eliminate the absolute worst of his disposal and decision making errors, that would be a good start.

• Like 1

They key part of the opening line is "some flashes of very good form". There's no doubt his best could be pretty good but, like most of our players, his worst is shocking. If he can eliminate the absolute worst of his disposal and decision making errors, that would be a good start.

Totally agree. But in fairness id say that's very possible. That is, to work on his poorer points . He has teh raw ingredients to be a pretty handy player. We've seen what he CAN do . often with young kids all we ever hear about is what they might do one day, here we have someone who has already shown us, albeit in glimpses. He has a head start on some

It's good to see a Melbourne player backing himself, some earlier stages during the season he burnt a few players in better positions but his last game was a great example of his potential.

Like many before him, he's got excellent attributes, next year he needs to go from potential to player and then after that useful consistent player.

• Like 2

Missed a whole chunk of pre season due to knee tendinitis and started full training around Nab cup time.

Cant wait to see what a full pre season does for him. Lose a bit of puppy fat and he will do just fine.

Also he was drafted as an inside midfielder. Won the Colts league BnF in the under 18s as a big time ball winner. Hopefully he pushes up into the center circle alot next year.

Missed a whole chunk of pre season due to knee tendinitis and started full training around Nab cup time.

Cant wait to see what a full pre season does for him. Lose a bit of puppy fat and he will do just fine.

Also he was drafted as an inside midfielder. Won the Colts league BnF in the under 18s as a big time ball winner. Hopefully he pushes up into the center circle alot next year.

Maybe - I like him as a forward though. Runs hard, uses his pace well, knows where the goals are. Rotations through the midfield are fine, but I like to see him on the HFF charging forward.

• Like 1

It might take another couple of years, but I'd like to see him moving more into the midfield. The way he moves in traffic (and his body shape) reminds me a little bit of Sam Mitchell: he can do a little hip shimmy and quick sideways step and suddenly have a metre of space that shouldn't be there. When he gets the tank he could be a handy addition to our corps of inside mids.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.