GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

Look, from your post there is little to be gained form entering a debate or even going to the effort of pointing out how misguided your position is. You are unlikely to change your view and as in all things people have their right to their opinions.

However one thing i would ask (rhetorically really as as i say there is not much point n a debate - we are not going to come together on this) - if he had been diagnosed with cancer and was retiring because the treatment meant he couldn't commit to football (but he otherwise if successfully treated would come back) - or not retiring would negatively impact on his health - would you still feel he is a coward?

No... but that is not the case is it? If depression is a disease then I guess I am also diseased but guess what? I am going to get up and go to work tomorrow.. and not to play footy at the MCG in front of thousands, I think I could definitely deal with that. I don't know what this says to our young supporters either, if things get hard just chuck it in, being sad is a disease you know.

I realise I'm singing with the choir here, but you're virtually wishing him a lifelong struggle with depression. Stay away from mirrors, C&B.

I've done nothing of the sort, I have made a prediction. Huge difference.

Depression is not being sad. Being sad is not even a prerequisite to suffering depression. The fact that you keep saying stuff like that is just proving that you have no idea at all. Stop embarrassing yourself, seriously.

• Like 7

Depression is not being sad. Being sad is not even a prerequisite to suffering depression. The fact that you keep saying stuff like that is just proving that you have no idea at all. Stop embarrassing yourself, seriously.

I'm just baffled by it. Either he is 10 years old and has no idea what clinical depression is or he is a complete imbecile. I don't know which one to go for.

• Like 2

Can we move on from the Depression topic .

I much preferred the roaring twenties,or the swinging sixties.

• Like 3

On a scale from -

'How Mitch Clark and the Melbourne Football Club handled his mental health issues'

to

'How Ben Cousins and West Coast handled his mental health issues'

I'm really glad, for club and player, that we've gone down the quiet, health-first, approach. It may seem a spurious comparison but if Mitch had chosen to continue in the AFL environment there's a real chance that as everything else fails to bring him joy he would set out on the all-too-common spiral of increasingly desperate 'self-medication'.

A special management plan also known as 'The Echuca approach'.

Quite frankly, you're an insensitive, uneducated, ignorant fool.

Who is the coward here? Someone making a tough decision and doing the right thing, or some jerky spouting ignorance from the safety of their keyboard?

You should be suspended for name calling. I knew I would cop it, but you don't have the right to abuse somebody for not sharing the same opinion as you do.

I would wager everything I own that in terms of intelligence, education and achievement, I would destroy you.

I also have vast experience in the subject that is being discussed.

You have no right.

• Like 2

Yeah OK there is no connection between being sad and depression, and you say I am the one with no idea.

You should be suspended for name calling. I knew I would cop it, but you don't have the right to abuse somebody for not sharing the same opinion as you do.

I would wager everything I own that in terms of intelligence, education and achievement, I would destroy you.

You have no right.

Laughable.

You linked clinical depression to being sad merely a few posts ago. There is having a controversial opinion, which should always be welcomed, and then there is uneducated gibberish which you are sprouting, which is never welcomed. Have a good, hard look at yourself.

Now here's the thing! C and B has made some outlandish comments. In fact all comments on this topic are outlandish because we are neither Mich Clarke nor his Doctors. C+B has expressed an opinion. Attack the opinion if you must but unless you are C+B or his doctor/s do not attack him!

• Like 2

On a scale from -

'How Mitch Clark and the Melbourne Football Club handled his mental health issues'

to

'How Ben Cousins and West Coast handled his mental health issues'

I'm really glad, for club and player, that we've gone down the quiet, health-first, approach. It may seem a spurious comparison but if Mitch had chosen to continue in the AFL environment there's a real chance that as everything else fails to bring him joy he would set out on the all-too-common spiral of increasingly desperate 'self-medication'.

A special management plan also known as 'The Echuca approach'.

WCE's handling of Cousin's mental health won them both a premiership.

Now here's the thing! C and B has made some outlandish comments. In fact all comments on this topic are outlandish because we are neither Mich Clarke nor his Doctors. C+B has expressed an opinion. Attack the opinion if you must but unless you are C+B or his doctor/s do not attack him!

As Redleg mentions above I think we should move on, however, C&B in his original post attacked Mitch personally for walking away from the game. So why should he be above personal criticism when he was the one to throw the first stone? It was a pathetic post and he shouldn't be defended for it as it wasn't just an opinion, it was also an attack on his character.

you obviously know nothing

sadness is ONE of the biggest symptons of depression.Its not teh be all and end all but very much a component

You have no right.

*You* called Clark a coward! You are dead set unbelievable.

You have no right.

care to share your vast experience

you obviously know nothing

sadness is ONE of the biggest symptons of depression.Its not teh be all and end all but very much a component

Yes, one symptom. I'm glad we can agree.

People who suffer depression don't have to feel sad. You can have one without the other.

As Redleg mentions above I think we should move on, however, C&B in his original post attacked Mitch personally for walking away from the game. So why should he be above personal criticism when he was the one to throw the first stone? It was a pathetic post and he shouldn't be defended for it as it wasn't just an opinion, it was also an attack on his character.

Mate, I'm a known bigmouth and shitstirrer, but on these sorts of subjects, it is best not to pick up the second stone!

And once Riley is off the LTI list he'll take the final spot. Georgiou will keep his senior list promotion. That's it.

Riley is off the LTI list. Played at Casey last week.

Sad that in a post started to try and get support and commiseration, we still get supporters getting involved in [censored] fights, name calling and petty squabbles. I was looking forward to seeing Mitch play with Dawes and hogan. Get well soon Mitch.

People with Depression are Not Just “Sad”

Just as cell growth is normal in a person, we call out of control cell growth an illnesswe call it cancer. Depression is exactly the same. Depression is when a normal, human emotion gets out of control to the point where it is no longer normal. Considering someone with an illness merely to be “sad” is an insult to that person and minimizes an illness that takes thousands of lives every year.

• Like 5