Casey Scorpions v Box Hill Hawks

KC from Casey

Michie had 30 touches and tackled hard all day. Not overly damaging with the ball but certainly wasnt a bad game

It takes a long time to get over a facial injury. Needs more time. Tackled well.

Thanks, good to hear.

Very disappointing stuff happening at Casey.

JKH's review from last week was appalling and it doesn't sound like he responded to it at all. What's going on there?

Happy to write off Strauss, Nicholson and Tapscott. Blease sounds like he showed more than those three, but not a lot.

Regimes.

As much as we all hate Neeld, these four players you've mentioned all came to the club in the Bailey era.

It was the previous recruiting regime. Not blaming Neeld for that one.

JKH performs better at AFL level, it seems.. what do you do with him?

The VFL players review indicated that JKH needed a rest from AFL level. He is a first year player after all. Remember that was exactly what Roos said he would do with our young players. No point burning them out.

Salem did his time, Toumpas is doing likewise....they will be in and out of the AFL side for a while yet....

The result was bad, but was another good example of why we won't be keeping a good load of these VFL players next year. Nicholson, Byrnes, Strauss, Barry and Tapscott can write their tickets now. Blease is close to the same. Evans might only be saved by his contact.

Not one of those players are threatening for senior selection and so will not be a loss come year end. Michie & Gawn are ready for a recall, with Toumpas and JKH when they are freshened up again.

Michie had 30 touches and tackled hard all day. Not overly damaging with the ball but certainly wasnt a bad game

I thought his 3rd quarter was good. I believe he won quite a few centre clearances which helped build some momentum for Casey in the 3rd qtr.

this Welsh guy is a woeful coach

I'm wondering if the ploy is to sort our list at VFL level, to see which ones are going to be 'the make it happen types', & who will just let things happen to us.

Welsh seems to be enjoying our support from top?

The VFL players review indicated that JKH needed a rest from AFL level. He is a first year player after all. Remember that was exactly what Roos said he would do with our young players. No point burning them out.

Salem did his time, Toumpas is doing likewise....they will be in and out of the AFL side for a while yet....

The result was bad, but was another good example of why we won't be keeping a good load of these VFL players next year. Nicholson, Byrnes, Strauss, Barry and Tapscott can write their tickets now. Blease is close to the same. Evans might only be saved by his contact.

Not one of those players are threatening for senior selection and so will not be a loss come year end. Michie & Gawn are ready for a recall, with Toumpas and JKH when they are freshened up again.

I agree Nicholson can't kick, Strauss has no awareness, Byrnes plays with no urgency and is now becoming injury prone. I'd like to think that Tapscot and Barry could be ok, but time is running out.

ZERO goals to 9 in Q4??? Well, the good news is that MFC won't have to pretend that their guys are injured come VFL finals, or feel guilty taking them out for maintenence.

McEvoy miss.
Strauss kicks out, showing one of those cm perfect 45m drop punts I was talking about.

Strauss may well be a fabulous kick, but he needs to get the ball other than kick ins and do damage with the fabulous kicking skills.

• Like 1

ZERO goals to 9 in Q4??? Well, the good news is that MFC won't have to pretend that their guys are injured come VFL finals, or feel guilty taking them out for maintenence.

Strauss may well be a fabulous kick, but he needs to get the ball other than kick ins and do damage with the fabulous kicking skills.

Strauss has no physical presence for a player of his build. Real shame.

I was at the game today and after reading through thie thread thought I would make some comments.

Box Hill had some serious tall boys up forward, but they won it through some outstanding midfield running and a touch of class all over the field that even the MFC players didn't or couldn't match.

They also won it from some of the worst kicking forward of centre from the Scorpions that I have ever seen at VFL level. I reckon the kicking today was not up to Eastern Football League Div 1 here in Melbourne. Poor old Dan Nicholson showed why he is not getting a game. I was sitting with the woman he used to board with when he first came to the club who was talking him up all day so I was watching him very closely. He hit one target by foot all day. Atrocious.

Gawn. Great game. Hard work, gut running and beat big boy McEvoy in the hitouts (I think). But he does still drop some marks that only he gets his hands to.

Barry. Very poor game. Nowhere near it.

Nicholson. Nowhere near AFL standard.

Toumpas. Needs to get into it more but did look a class above when he used it. His tackling and aggression were a real highlight.

Blease. Very good game. In the VFL player reviews he has been criticised for letting his player get goal side, and that did happen twice today that I noticed, but his movement around the ground to set up the next play was very good as was his tackling. The only Dees player who today showed he is worthy of promotion.

Tapscott. Some of his play was really, really good and he was confident and focused with ball in hand. Just didn't get it any where near enough. He did play a lot better than I thought he would against a very good Box Hill side.

Michie. He may have got a bit of the ball but I didn't notice it during general play. His possessions didn't seem to advance the Scorpions toward goal or hurt the opposition.

Strauss. He does kick well but he did absolutely nothing else. Nothing.

Fitzy. Boy he goes hard at it in the air. Box Hill double teamed him all day with one player body-on-body and another coming over the top or dropping in front. He impressed me as a forward target but it seemed the other players were too dumb to cut out the third man up and give him a better chance to mark.

Harmes. I was impressed with this kid. Didn't get a heap of possessions but he is a good size, makes amazing 2nd and 3rd efforts and has a genuine crack at it. What I enjoyed the most about him is I reckon he can kick well under pressure.

Apart from Blease I can fully understand why Roos isn't changing the 22 too easily. He has few to choose from as genuine AFL standard alternatives.

[Edit] I forgot JKH. He get to the right places with pace and zip but wasn't particularly impressive today.

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 9

The team was 90% Melbourne listed players, WTF does it have to do with Casey?

That's a blatant misrepresentation. It might be 60% or thereabouts, but not 90%.

And the Casey listed players are on the whole crap. And they get pushed off the ball far too easily.

That's what it has to do with Casey.

I was at the game today and after reading through thie thread thought I would make some comments.

Box Hill had some serious tall boys up forward, but they won it through some outstanding midfield running and a touch of class all over the field that even the MFC players didn't or couldn't match.

They also won it from some of the worst kicking forward of centre from the Scorpions that I have ever seen at VFL level. I reckon the kicking today was not up to Eastern Football League Div 1 here in Melbourne. Poor old Dan Nicholson showed why he is not getting a game. I was sitting with the woman he used to board with when he first came to the club who was talking him up all day so I was watching him very closely. He hit one target by foot all day. Atrocious.

Gawn. Great game. Hard work, gut running and beat big boy McEvoy in the hitouts (I think). But he does still drop some marks that only he gets his hands to.

Toumpas. Needs to get into it more but did look a class above when he used it. His tackling and aggression were a real highlight.

Blease. Very good game. In the VFL player reviews he has been criticised for letting his player get goal side, and that did happen twice today that I noticed, but his movement around the ground to set up the next play was very good as was his tackling. The only Dees player who today showed he is worthy of promotion.

Tapscott. Some of his play was really, really good and he was confident and focused with ball in hand. Just didn't get it any where near enough. He did play a lot better than I thought he would against a very good Box Hill side.

Michie. He may have got a bit of the ball but I didn't notice it during general play. His possessions didn't seem to advance the Scorpions toward goal or hurt the opposition.

Fitzy. Boy he goes hard at it in the air. Box Hill double teamed him all day with one player body-on-body and another coming over the top or dropping in front. He impressed me as a forward target but it seemed the other players were too dumb to cut out the third man up and give him a better chance to mark.

Harmes. I was impressed with this kid. Didn't get a heap of possessions but he is a good size, makes amazing 2nd and 3rd efforts and has a genuine crack at it. What I enjoyed the most about him is I reckon he can kick well under pressure.

Apart from Blease I can fully understand why Roos isn't changing the 22 too easily. He has few to choose from as genuine AFL standard alternatives.

Great summary. Thanks

[Edit] I forgot JKH. He get to the right places with pace and zip but wasn't particularly impressive today.

That's a blatant misrepresentation. It might be 60% or thereabouts, but not 90%.

And the Casey listed players are on the whole crap. And they get pushed off the ball far too easily.

Along with the general lax standard of Caseys list I am wondering how without our coaches and support staff running our "reserves" team, how the hell do we enforce "our" standards and game plan?

Where is the continuity across both levels?

We are at a distinct disadvantage compared to clubs with stand alone reserves teams.

• Like 1

We do have coaches who have a significant input at Casey, they just aren't head coach.

I'll remind you that the team we played today and won the flag last year, is not a stand alone team.

The real problem with Casey is the quality of their VFL players, they are struggling for money and their better players have left for greener pastures.

About 70% of the team were Dees players, poor effort for MFC listed players not just Casey I would thought machsy.

61% is where i had it, if that includes the 23rd man ;)

that said the only time Casey looked any good was when it was in a melbourne listed players hands, whilst they also turned the ball over at times, the only reason they did not lose by 150 points is the melbourne players.

Terlich not playing kinda makes me feel like there will be a late change

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

thanks for your thoughts Maldon boy. Did Fitzy get a run on the ball, if so how did he look around the ground?

If coalitioned VFL clubs worked well, then the other clubs wouldn't have been scrambling away from their alignment VFL clubs. The AFL has changed since the alignments with VFL teams started, & the gap is bigger than before with sports science, the flood, & zones, & more set plays & strategies came to be.

It doesn't work any longer.

If coalitioned VFL clubs worked well, then the other clubs wouldn't have been scrambling away from their alignment VFL clubs. The AFL has changed since the alignments with VFL teams started, & the gap is bigger than before with sports science, the flood, & zones, & more set plays & strategies came to be.

It doesn't work any longer.

You realise Box Hill are top of the ladder and working brilliantly for the Hawks. They have a few things that Melb-Casey don't.

1. A proper alignment where Box Hill are willing to give a lot of power to Hawthorn in return for the glory they get back

2. A strong allied coaching set up

3. VFL players who are the right mix of past/future AFL prospects, a sprinkle of experience and then full depth down to the reserves with guys who are there for a real shot an AFL career and committed to work their way up

Casey can work for us and I haven't heard anything disparaging from Casey of late towards the MFC and nothing the other way either. It's just a weak AFL club (in us) working with a weak VFL club which is why things aren't going so well.

• Like 1