• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 12

Demonland

Our ball use/movement around forward 50 killed us today.

Our unwillingness to enter the forward line with any purpose stuck out.

Probably because we had no tall options that looked in the least bit threatening except Pedersen who got it too far out and there was no crumb to be had. To me it was a chicken/egg scenario. The dysfunctional forward line meant we went forward without purpose and vice versa.

We would not attack the goal face because we had no likely winners. Many of our set shots were low percentage from tight angles.

Dawes was owned by Frost today.

• Like 1

Did Paul Roos kill Wayne Campbells dog or something? Jeez I know the umpire doesn't lose you the game, but was pretty damn close to it today!

• Like 3

Whoops looks like another sub stuff up. They did not announce it at the MCG so was wondering who was off when JKH missed a mark down back, late in the third. Looked around and realised Jamar wasn't there. At that stage I thought big Max was costing us with his lack of mobility. He did work his way back into the game but I still don't believe we can carry him in any other role than ruck.

They announced it on the scoreboard.

Our ball use/movement around forward 50 killed us today.

I'd argue that it was our movement off half back that killed us. We'd kick to our defensive 50 and then slowly jog backwards, with their back to the play. Our delivery to the forwards was ordinary though, but it didn't help that by the time the ball was near our forwardline, Collingwood had flooded it out.

Actually thought our field kicking was quite good today, we hit plenty of targets with 25m and 30m kicks.

In contrast, the delivery inside 50 was terrible, lost count the number of times we kicked it straight to them.

We just didn't move it quick enough, which induced us to eventually turn it over.

Tyson came back to earth with an almighty thud. McAffer is one hell of a tagger.

We will help him out when Viney and Salem are a bit older and running through there they will be smart and tough enough to provide a block and some space.

They are a good team and we looked like we were waiting for them to make mistakes with their men committed forward so we could take it through the other wing in some space.

But good teams don't let you have too many freebies and they were clinical with their ball use in the second half.

Kicking 3 goals doesn't worry me - they only had 2 more to 3 qtr time - it was that sort of game.

On to Essendon!

I am tipping us!

• Like 1

Oh man. I had to leave half way through the last quarter, I could feel the rage boiling. This was a bad game to take my girlfriend along to. I had to apologise to her for what she was seeing.

I'm calm now.

It was one of those days where things just bounced the Pie's way.

- Our ability to hit consecutive targets around the ground and control the pace of the game was good to see in the first half.

- Watts hard leading (ignored) was noted. More please.

BUT

- I couldn't believe how many times we looked backward as the FIRST option. That just can't win you games.

- The 2 seconds of hesitation when we had a decent deep target cost us big-time and caused multiple Collingwood 2 on 1's. JUST GO! Don't be afraid to hit the top of the goal square.

- Lack of overlap killed us

- Pies defence were desperate and gathered/rebounded faster than we could handle

- If I see one more player *LOOKING AT YOU FRAWLEY* lead hard with a guy up their clacker and then think they can take an easy chest mark I WILL LOSE IT! Isn't this the first thing you learn in juniors? Stick your butt out and get the hands out in front!

Surely JKH deserved to play the whole game? His ability and willingness to take on a player was something that was sorely lacking from the rest of our stagnant and uninspired playing group.

Bah. I guarantee we'll see more run and creativity next week against the Bombers, but why not today!!!!

:mad:

Edited by Buzzy
  • Like 1

Everyone seems angry that we didn't beat a very good team.

We didn't get smashed. We made them earn it. We're a bottom 4 side (and have been for a long time) that is making progress even if it's uneven.

And sure we made skill errors, and sure we need a forward line, and sure some of the players that we've been relying on had a bad day, but if someone had have offered me a less thatn 7 goal loss to C'wood on QB in November last year I would have taken it in an instant.

There was a lot of glass half full today, even if 3.10 was an ugly scoreline.

• Like 1

Oh man. I had to leave half way through the last quarter, I could feel the rage boiling. This was a bad game to take my girlfriend along to. I had to apologise to her for what she was seeing.

I'm calm now.

It was one of those days where things just bounced the Pie's way.

- Our ability to hit consecutive targets around the ground and control the pace of the game was good to see in the first half.

- Watts hard leading (ignored) was noted. More please.

BUT

- I couldn't believe how many times we looked backward as the FIRST option. That just can't win you games.

- The 2 seconds of hesitation when we had a decent deep target cost us big-time and caused multiple Collingwood 2 on 1's. JUST GO! Don't be afraid to hit the top of the goal square.

- Pies defence were desperate and gathered/rebounded faster than we could handle

- If I see one more player *LOOKING AT YOU FRAWLEY* lead hard with a guy up their clacker and then think they can take an easy chest mark I WILL LOSE IT! Isn't this the first thing you learn in juniors? Stick your butt out and get the hands out in front!

Surely JKH deserved to play the whole game? His ability and willingness to take on a player was something that was sorely lacking from the rest of our stagnant and uninspired playing group.

Bah. I guarantee we'll see more run and creativity next week against the Bombers, but why not today!!!!

:mad:

Just got back home. 1 thing I noticed was the speed with which Collingwoods mid got back into defense. On multiple occassions we got swamped if we even slightly hesitated.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but did anyone hear Vince interviewed on 774 after the game? He was asked about the non goal. He said he couldnt believe it and actually asked the umpire for clarification. He said he didnt really get any, other than the umpire just said "its JKHs kick" Vince said that led him to believe that the umpire missed the handpass. He went onto say that it would have been 4pts the difference in a period when the side was really coming, instead Collingwood got a goal up the other end.

The Collinwood midfield runs both ways exceptionally well. Ours is getting there.

The Collingwood half backs use the ball very well. Ours don't.

The gap is,however, narrowing.

I look forward to next year's QB game with eager anticipation.

In the meantime, to quote JonesN - we'll take a lot of learnings out of every game. Execrable english, but an excellent attitude.

People here are right to point out that we won't go winning many games kicking only 3 goals.

But:

How many games are Collingwood - or any side - going to win kicking only 8 goals?

We're getting it half right.

• Like 2

- If I see one more player *LOOKING AT YOU FRAWLEY* lead hard with a guy up their clacker and then think they can take an easy chest mark I WILL LOSE IT! Isn't this the first thing you learn in juniors?

Agreed on all points.

People here are right to point out that we won't go winning many games kicking only 3 goals.

But:

How many games are Collingwood - or any side - going to win kicking only 8 goals?

We're getting it half right.

We are not going to win with 3 goals but it was a unique rarity for a team with 3 goals to still be in the game in the last quarter. Umpires cost us a couple and gave them a couple of cheapies. It could have been a different result if we had those extra 2 coming into the last qaurter.

• We are not going to win with 3 goals but it was a unique rarity for a team with 3 goals to still be in the game in the last quarter. Umpires cost us a couple and gave them a couple of cheapies. It could have been a different result if we had those extra 2 coming into the last qaurter.

• Like 4

Agree.

My son was saying this on the way to the game. He was scared that their back flankers would just scoop up the crumbs and continually set up their forwards. That is what they did time and time again.

Selection of the team probably started the rot.

highlights we need a few more (different ) to choose from ;)

Also thought Vince and Gawn were good.

Garland is a worry. Better by Grimes. Bail and Matt Jones got good stats but don't hurt with their possessions.

Also thought Vince and Gawn were good.

Garland is a worry. Better by Grimes. Bail and Matt Jones got good stats but don't hurt with their possessions.

Both bail and m Jones need to start practicing kicking for goal on the run from 50..

I know from my own footy smarts.. If your running at thr right speed you only need to stab it in the sweet spot and it sails through!

Jones trys to kick worm burners snd Bails shits himself and get stuck between passing and shooting!!

That's carp, they were not cruising had they been, we would have done them quite easily. We are not a great side but we are hard to play against, we just kill games but maybe you are right and all the expert ex-players singing this same tune are wrong.

They were very good at running hard and putting pressure on not allowing us any easy ball, they didn't mind flooding their defensive 50 either to prevent us switching the play holding the ball then delivering quickly inside 50 to space.

Give some credit where it is due, Collingwood beat us by polish and having a bit more midfield depth than we did, Cross, Vince, Bail and Jetta were all given negating roles and all did well. That is why Pendlebury, Beams, Elliot and Lumumba weren't as effective as they usually were

The better side won yes but they earned it

Carp yourself.

Watch the game - they were jog trotting.

3 goals is not good enough.

Carp yourself.

Watch the game - they were jog trotting.

3 goals is not good enough.

No one is arguing that 3 goals is enough.

Dane Beams described that game as one of, if not the hardest game he has played this year.

Stop trying to make this about you. Between you and saty, this site has 2 too many people wanting to take the martyr's position.

As for the game, our lack of midfield class, half-back pace and 1st rank KPF really stood out. Salem should now be dropped for Jordie. He is doing more than Kent IMO and has earnt a recall. It would have been very useful to put Jordie in the centre and float Dom Tyson forward, taking Mcaffer with him. We didn't have the option and that was a selection flaw. Salem is not holding his position on merit at this point. I'd be happy with Kent, but to keep it consistent, Jordie has earnt it and gives us much more mid flexibility. JKH needs to start games. Kid gives a lot and again is more use than Salem ATM.

• Like 3

Though I don't think it would have changed the result the umpiring was deplorable. From what Vince has said the umpire had no idea that Jetta had hand balled and then

to rule it as not allowed to play on is stupid if he isn't watching the game. So hopefully that ump gets sent back to the VFL.

And secondly when will the AFL step in and stop these ridiculous holding the ball decisions when 5 guys lay on top of someone. It happened both against us and for us and I was one who called holding the ball because I know they will pay it. But I hate the rule it is a joke and then to see Seedsman run 20+ metres have a bounce and then get caught and spin 360 shows how wrong they have it. That should be holding the ball as he has had an eternity to decide and was caught. Don't penalize the guy at the bottom of a pack who is being laid on top of.

• Like 1

No one is arguing that 3 goals is enough.

Dane Beams described that game as one of, if not the hardest game he has played this year.

Stop trying to make this about you. Between you and saty, this site has 2 too many people wanting to take the martyr's position.

As for the game, our lack of midfield class, half-back pace and 1st rank KPF really stood out. Salem should now be dropped for Jordie. He is doing more than Kent IMO and has earnt a recall. It would have been very useful to put Jordie in the centre and float Dom Tyson forward, taking Mcaffer with him. We didn't have the option and that was a selection flaw. Salem is not holding his position on merit at this point. I'd be happy with Kent, but to keep it consistent, Jordie has earnt it and gives us much more mid flexibility. JKH needs to start games. Kid gives a lot and again is more use than Salem ATM.

About me? You keep misreading the situation, but I can't help that.

Agree with the footy commentary but I think you are too easily seduced by what players will tell the media, yet harbour different internal opinions.

It's a work in progress, I get that.......but yesterday wasn't flash.

If he can improve his kicking to a solid level, he'll be A grade. If his kicking doesn't improve his ceiling is B grade. He reminded me of his old man today.

I noticed late in the game vineyard tired and his kicking suffered. Before that he was pretty good and combative.

• We are not going to win with 3 goals

If we kept the opposition to 2 goals we would.

Now would that be an unreal game to watch!!

Just remember yest was frustrating to watch but last season against the pies was deplorable.

It's an improvement.

Lowest score kicked against Collingwood since 1960

We were effing pathetic

I thought after a night to sleep it off you might actually realise that goals kicked isn't necessarily an indication of how well we played.

-We kept a top 4 side to 61 points.

-the fact that we had 2 goals in the third (Dawes 50/bernie vince) unallowed took a lot of spice out of the contest. Especially because the Dawes one went down and goldsack kicked a goal.

-til 3/4 they only kicked 5 goals and if our 2 goals went through it would have been a different scoreline.

-sure we don't go into a match to kick 3 goals but general play around the ground we did not get beat.

-probably ran out of legs due to the NT game.

-we prevented 85% of the run from collingwood and locked them down very well.

-the result could have been changed from 3-5 moments rather than 100s of aspects like last year.

The only thing we did really badly was a couple skill error executions, jetta and viney each made one when we could have kicked goals. But at the end of the day this style of football is great, we are harder and harder to beat. Sure we came up against a side that defended equally well, but they are a finals threat and we are not yet.

P.S. We are going to play defensive football for a long time to come, so I think you might want to support a team that will not be playing this style because ultimately we will not be a massive scoring team

• Like 2