Selection for Port Adelaide

Sad Dee

I can see what you're saying re ruckmen but one of the big reasons our mids are doing as well as they are is Jamar is giving them first look at it. Having Gawn in the team poses problems for any defence and he is a talented second ruck.

Leaving him out hands back one of the few advantages we have over Port and we will look to bottle the game up and make it a stoppage affair. Gawn is a must for me. Salem and Toumpas are vulnerable.

He is a talented second ruck but this is not the game for it. He posed problems forward yesterday buts its direct affect on the scoreboard was a rushed behind and a point to Bail. We will be playing the fittest side in the comp in trying conditions and they are lightening quick across the ground. Jamar to ruck as much as possible Pederson to relieve and take the extra runner. Its not as cut and dry as that though and the selection committee certainly have some headaches next match.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Salem won't be rested/dropped - not yet anyway. Toumpas will stay as well and he did show a bit yesterday. We can ill afford to rest or drop players who have excellent finishing skills (Salem & Toumpas)

Frawley will probably come back in as a forward (unless there's an injury to one of our backmen)

Around about this time of the season, those "mystery" injuries start to occur - look for an unexpected out. Otherwise, the "last in, first out" rule of thumb might apply. It's hard to identify an obvious out to make room for Frawley. Ordinarily, there wouldn't be any changes (judging on how things have transpired this season)

A tall forward line may be an advantage against Port. Of course, they cover us in a number of other areas but we have to angle at having as many advantages as is possible. The game has an early afternoon start time and that might suit the tall timber later in the match.

Another area we might be able to do well in is with our clearance work and with our contested possessions ... especially our clearance work - we have to at least break even with Port in that department.

As always, the match committee will be looking at coming up with a way of winning this game. For us supporters, conceding defeat should start to become a thing of the past.

Not sure if I heard right but I think Nathan Jones has a baby on the way due around the time of the Port game and he has said he will be at the birth. But if bubs born early in the week he will play.

• Like 1

Jetta is the bloke I want playing on Wingard,

wanna see Jones and Boak go head to head

Viney vs Wines

put Watts on Polec and make him hesitant to run off so much

no Lobbe and I feel Jamar and Gawn should be able to win out of the ruck.

Viney vs Wines

It's always a good sign when we are finding it hard to find a player who should be dropped for someone else

Yes and no... it can mean that you simply don't have the depth to be able to replace players. However, I do prefer to think it is because we now have a good enough first 22.

If Roosy is what he says he is then I am thinking Chris and Jimmy are probably due for a spell. Jimmy was OK yesterday but keep in mind he did get 15 touches (and Salem 8). This isn't a commentary on whether or not they will be great players for us (I think they will). It's more in keeping with the philosophy that Roos came in with. The kids aren't the saviors of the club and the club's job is to make them the best players they can be.
Omission for either Jimmy or Chris is not going to be a punishment as it has been viewed as in the past. It's just giving them breathing room to develop at their own pace while giving them a taste of senior AFL football which has happened (though this relates to Chris more than Jimmy).

I'm not sure how selection is going to go down for this match. If we don't bring back Jetta, we'll be asking Grimes, Terlich and probably Garland to play on Wingard, Monfries, and Gray. Could work, but Jetta's done a pretty good job of shutting out small forwards and Wingard is a match-winner on his own. I'd be inclined to bring him back for Salem, who I think has hit the wall a bit.

I think Jetta will come in to cover Wingard, he's hard and can match him in the air.

Not sure if I heard right but I think Nathan Jones has a baby on the way due around the time of the Port game and he has said he will be at the birth. But if bubs born early in the week he will play.

This is indeed the case. It could make things very interesting could it not?

I don't suppose anyone would like the notion of resting a few of our guns so they'll be fresh and ready for Collingwood the week after? I mention this for two reasons. One the fact that we are almost certain to be thrashed anyway, and two the fact that teams who play in the NT almost always run out of steam in their next game due to the draining conditions up there. It could make all the difference against the Pies to have a few fresh mids running around off a two week break.

Is there another Martin I'm not aware of? Because the one I saw had 31 touches and was close to BOG

Meaningless stat. You would need possessions before/after Grimes went to him to be using stats to make a Grimes/Martin point.

• Like 1

This is indeed the case. It could make things very interesting could it not?

I don't suppose anyone would like the notion of resting a few of our guns so they'll be fresh and ready for Collingwood the week after? I mention this for two reasons. One the fact that we are almost certain to be thrashed anyway, and two the fact that teams who play in the NT almost always run out of steam in their next game due to the draining conditions up there. It could make all the difference against the Pies to have a few fresh mids running around off a two week break.

The game is in Alice Springs not Darwin.

The average June temperatures are around 20 degrees.

Can get up higher on hot days obviously.

Also the heat is a dry heat not humid like in Darwin.

Anyway the conditions should not be that draining.

Bit of a worry when a player who plays the role that Grimes does only has 1 tackle for the game.

Not really. Tackle numbers are a bit arbitrary. Grimes' problems are much more what he does when he gets the ball.

That said he's a stiff hipped player. Doesn't bend or turn well in space or play with any power. It's almost like he needs some gymnastics training.

Not really. Tackle numbers are a bit arbitrary. Grimes' problems are much more what he does when he gets the ball.

That said he's a stiff hipped player. Doesn't bend or turn well in space or play with any power. It's almost like he needs some gymnastics training.

Probably has something to do with his back issues.

Meaningless stat. You would need possessions before/after Grimes went to him to be using stats to make a Grimes/Martin point.

well the point that blind freddy could see was that Martin had a good game and Grimes didn't beat anyone

keep it real

well the point that blind freddy could see was that Martin had a good game and Grimes didn't beat anyone

keep it real

Yeah, I thought Martin was their best player by a fair way. Cross would have been the best match for him but he was already doing a job on Delidio.

Edited by rjay

Jones has said he definitely plans to be there for the birth of his baby. I hoping he doesn't plan skip the game though just because it's in Alice Springs and the baby is due around the same time. Babies rarely come on their exact due date and anything between 37 to 41 weeks is considered quite normal. And even if she goes into labour while he's in Alice Springs, usually first time mothers have long labours so I would think he would be able to get back in time.

Really hope he plays!

Viney vs Wines

Agree with most of this but not Watts, who clearly plays his best footy forward. I'd say Jet would be perfect for Wingard, just not sure who comes out, maybe Salem or JKH although neither deserve to be dropped!

Jones has said he definitely plans to be there for the birth of his baby. I hoping he doesn't plan skip the game though just because it's in Alice Springs and the baby is due around the same time. Babies rarely come on their exact due date and anything between 37 to 41 weeks is considered quite normal. And even if she goes into labour while he's in Alice Springs, usually first time mothers have long labours so I would think he would be able to get back in time.

Really hope he plays!

JUST OUT OF INTEREST, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PRECEDENT IS FOR THIS.. WHAT PLAYERS HAVE MISSED GAMES FOR THIS REASON IN RECENT YEARS

oops caps

Gawn will give opposition coaches a headache , has to play and if we deliver it well and he gets the kicking boot on . Unstopable

• Like 1