Post Match Discussion - Round 9

Nasher

As I said great win, its not about pot shots, its about analysing the game, Don't fool yourself we had some poor players today!

I am enjoying the win but in the scheme of things bigger pictures form. Its all about improving your list and becoming competitive for longer! We still have some gaps to be brutally honest, but enjoying the win , no doubt!

Why do you think I was aiming my post at you?

Are you pushing an agenda?

• Like 2

As I said great win, its not about pot shots, its about analysing the game, Don't fool yourself we had some poor players today!

I am enjoying the win but in the scheme of things bigger pictures form. Its all about improving your list and becoming competitive for longer! We still have some gaps to be brutally honest, but enjoying the win, no doubt!!

Actually we didn't have any "poor" players today so it probably says a lot about the quality of your analysis.

• Like 6

Ripper win.

Took my girlfriend and she judged me hard by my barracking but at the final siren I couldn't have been happier.

Other supporters won't get how much more than 4 points than that it means, but I'm so stoked.

Go the bloody Dees

• Like 5

Actually we didn't have any "poor" players today so it probably says a lot about the quality of your analysis.

Correct, all the players put in today and whilst we may need to replace a few over the next couple of years the current crop will do us well and will create the culture required to get to the top.

• Like 2

Watching Richmond vs. Melbourne today reminded me of something PJ said after our 120 point loss against North.

He was asked by Gerard Healy (?) if the loss was surprising. While PJ said the loss was clearly disappointing he wasn't overly surprised. He mentioned 'solid' performances against Brisbane, Sydney and St. Kilda and a win where we staggered over the line against the Dogs. He said something quite pointed about those performances. He said that the club had been on a high emotional roll but that's all it was. Emotion. It wasn't based on anything substantive.
Today, Richmond may (I won't say 'cos I'm not at the coalface at Punt Road) have bet the farm on the players being fired up emotionally and Melbourne submitting to that ferocity and sentiment.
At the end of the day, like our run after Neeld's sacking, it was built on sand.

One thing I like about what we are doing now is that we are building something meaningful. I don't mean in the vein of the spinmeisters of years gone by who tried to rationalize our failure by making out that we 'had' to lose frequently because that's what every great team did before they became a juggernaut.

We aren't going to win every game. The coaching staff know that. There may be times where our skill level will be exposed and teams might put us to the sword a bit. However, there will be no more Washington Generals style performances. The opposition may beat you on a given afternoon but the one thing they can't take from you is that inch that won't allow you to give up. It seems since West Coast, we haven't allowed the opposition to break us and take that inch from us.

This is what I was hoping the rebuild from 2009 onwards was going to be. Young kids who might get shown up every now and again but ones who never gave up and tried to win every game. Jazza once mentioned about his country football team and how they made a pact when they were no good. They promised each other than no team would EVER get an easy shot against them even though they weren't going to win. This would ensure that when good times returned that they would have a vigorous approach in place.
We aren't a powerhouse yet (and I know that no one has suggested that). We will lose again this year and have a record below .500. However, the mindset getting drilled in now will give us the vigorous approach we will need when good times return.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

The Bernie Vince goal. Are my eyes deceiving me, or did it look headed for a point all the way off the boot, then right at the end it was almost as if a magnetic force pulled it back into the goals. A really amazing kick.

Buddy's kicks also do that last minute fade.

Picket fence, he has played 17 games and alot of those in one of the worst sides of all time .

Far too early to say he doesn't have it

• Like 1

Picket fence, he has played 17 games and alot of those in one of the worst sides of all time .

Far too early to say he doesn't have it

Happy to be proved incorrect! Worse sides of all time?? even worse than the dismal early 70ts??

14th on the ladder! and going up

Only a game out of the 8 :-)))))))))))))

how's this - if you take out the WCE game our percentage is 90% which would put us 12th on the ladder right now

can you believe we got done by 10 goals or more on 12 occasions last year

Clearly the coaches and recruiters need to be commended. All of our recruits from end of last year, onfield and off have been hits. Every single one. It also shows just how out of his depth Neeld was (to think, some wanted him to see out his contract). We had some really exciting wins under Bailey but I like watching the current team more than any other since the Daniher days because of the way they go about it.

The final margin of our last two games has also been that game's highest margin.

17 points is, therefore, the biggest margin either side has had in our last two matches.

The umpires were bad today but not anti-Melbourne. There were 4 shockers against us early in the 3rd quarter which got the blood and the voice flowing but the Tiges got ripped off a few times too. It is more that the Umps missed a lot of clear freer kicks on both sides and paid some real soft ones.

We clearly got the worst of the maggots in the second half today especially in front of goal. Couldn't believe some of the decisions they were getting paid and some of the ones we weren't getting it was a disgraceful performance by them. I can't understand d how the umpiring can be so poor and inconsistent every single week and even within games.

• Like 7

Only a game out of the 8 :-)))))))))))))

We currently have won 17 quarters this year.... 8th best team in terms of quarters which is pretty impressive too!

We clearly got the worst of the maggots in the second half today especially in front of goal. Couldn't believe some of the decisions they were getting paid and some of the ones we weren't getting it was a disgraceful performance by them. I can't understand d how the umpiring can be so poor and inconsistent every single week and even within games.

It's the inconsistency within games that gets to me... I don't have as much of an issue between games or within a round... but it seemed like different umpires ran out there in the second half

• Like 2

Happy to be proved incorrect! Worse sides of all time?? even worse than the dismal early 70ts??

2 wins and a percentage of 53% 7 100 plus point losses is not a great side to walk into for young jimmy.

just remember it's not about if Jimmy is a better player than Wines or Mcrae or whatever, if they are better over their career so be it, i'm sure there will be a lot of good players out of that draft.

it's about will Jimmy be a consistant performer in our best 22 long term, I would hope a pick 4 is going to be a solid 200 gamer, if he is ever better than Oliver Wines is totally irrelevant.

• Like 2

Has a good kicking technique but his ball use is one of the things he's been sent back to Casey to work on. He hasn't been picking the best options and hasn't been confident enough in the application.

Fair point. I agree he sweats on the ball too long at times and just doesn't pick options quickly enough. The time spent in the twos might be giving him the chance to improve this side though. I reckon he looked a little more like "he belonged" at AFL level today than i can recall even though i still saw moments of the above. Lots of faith that he (Roos) will get this side right and looking forward to watching him improve.