Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for Round 7 vs Adelaide

titan_uranus

Bail and Terlich. I've been calling for these guys to be dropped for weeks now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gorgeous Georgiou rubbed out for a match, though I think it could go either way. He did hit Buddy in the face but from some angles it's clear he was trying to chop the arm and if you watch it in slow motion you can see how obvious a dive Buddy took.

Watts needs to go back to the VFL and find that form he carried into the St Kilda game.

My hopes -

INS: Garland, Kent, Riley

OUTS: Terlich, Bail, Watts

My predictions -

INS: Garland, Kent

OUTS: Bail, Georgiou

Following from Cross's comments, this is where I hope leading teams starts to work. It shouldn't be Roos pulling players in to line, it should be the other players.

My suggestion for Monday is for the whole squad to sit and watch the game together. Roos would highlight where mistakes are made regarding game plan and tactics but not pull players up. It would be the players job to identify where they didn't go as hard as they could or where they made mistakes.

The squad would then "leading teams" style evaluate their own match in front of the rest of the group "This week I did x y and z well. I need to improve a b and c and remove d and e from my game entirely." the other players then evaluate the evaluation "actually you didn't do this right either" "you could be a great player if only you..." "you did x well also".

It's the only way we'll move forward. Make players accountable and honest for their own performance. And have their team mates pull them into line if not.

We couldn't do this previously because we had no senior players. But now we have Jones, Cross, Dawes, Garland, Grimes as no nonsense senior players to give authority to this instead of Moloney, Bruce and Robertson.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

Following from Cross's comments, this is where I hope leading teams starts to work. It shouldn't be Roos pulling players in to line, it should be the other players.

My suggestion for Monday is for the whole squad to sit and watch the game together. Roos would highlight where mistakes are made regarding game plan and tactics but not pull players up. It would be the players job to identify where they didn't go as hard as they could or where they made mistakes.

The squad would then "leading teams" style evaluate their own match in front of the rest of the group "This week I did x y and z well. I need to improve a b and c and remove d and e from my game entirely." the other players then evaluate the evaluation "actually you didn't do this right either" "you could be a great player if only you..." "you did x well also".

It's the only way we'll move forward. Make players accountable and honest for their own performance. And have their team mates pull them into line if not.

We couldn't do this previously because we had no senior players. But now we have Jones, Cross, Dawes, Garland, Grimes as no nonsense senior players to give authority to this instead of Moloney, Bruce and Robertson.

Very true.

Unfortunately, some players got away with a lot of the BS they did over the last couple of years as they thought the coach was unreasonable. There definitely was more than a kernel of truth in that. However, not everything Neeld said was incorrect. He was right in certain things but just didn't have the skill set or ability to form interpersonal relationships to implement those reforms.

If it comes from the senior group then a few blokes (we know who they are) will have no-where to hide. Especially Nate Jones and Daniel Cross. If they told you they thought you were a passenger, what can you say? No one can question their effort.

Really hope Riley has a blinder today and comes in against his previous side. Kent wont come straight back in if he's not playing at Casey this week. Terlich has a few clangers a game but his overall game is not as bad as people state. We need to bring some polish into the side and hope that one of Toumpas, Strauss or Clisby can play a balanced game today to push for selection.

In: Riley, Garland, Toumpas

Out: Watts, Jetta, Byrnes

NB: Howe as sub would send the right message.

• Like 1

OUT : Georgy boy(susp),Watts(lame),Terlich,Bail.

IN Strauss,Blease,Garland,Kent

Jetta played very well last night-

was probably made sub because he worked his arse off for 3 quarters.

No way will he be dropped.

Everyone dropping Terlich can give me a break. Roos will continue to develop Dean's game. He's a good kick.

I think Bail stays. One bad night doesn't result in being dropped anymore and so it shouldn't. Someone not playing to structures might but Bail fits the tackle, hard at it, spread away from contest style player PR likes. Again I think it's development.

For me.

Out : Jetta, Georgio.

In : Strauss, Garland,

• Like 1

IN: Garland (if fit), Nicholson, Riley

OUT: Bail, Byrnes, Watts

FB: Dunn, Garland, Terlich

HB: Georgiou, McDonald, Grimes

C: M. Jones, Cross, Vince

HF: Jetta, Frawley, Viney

FF: Pederson, Dawes, Kennedy-Harris

FOLL: Jamar, Tyson, N. Jones

INT: Howe, Nicholson, Riley

SUB: Salem

EMERG: Bail, Clisby, Gawn

Howe & Jetta would be on last chances. Bail possibly a little stiff but if Garland doesn't get up I'd then keep him in the 22.

Byrnes would be gone for good now I'd think unless we get cut down by injuries late in the year and Watts needs to go out and dominate for a few weeks if he's after another crack

I would be willing to give Watts one more crack.

Sub him off if he's bad.

Out: Bail, not sure who else comes out. Byrnes?

In: Riley, Garland, Kent (if he's not injured)

I would persist with nev.

I don't think Howe is on his 'last chance'. he's a very talented player, just needs to find hisd feet - what ever roos decides with him id agree with.

I like the above comment, would love to see Tappy prove us wrong and play some good footy.

He hasn't had a great opportunity lately with injury and what not.

If Roos can turn Pedo and Dunn into respectable players, I have to believe he can rescue more of the talent we watched wither and rot under Neeld.

He might just make something of Strauss, Blease, Jetta, Evans, etc.

Edited by Lamashtu

Out: Terlich, Watts, Byrnes

In: Garland, Riley, Kent

Clisby for Georgiou if he gets a holiday.

Sad Dee - Bail doesn't get dropped on the weight of performances. He had a bad week. Watts and Terlich have had several in a row.

• Like 1

IN: Garland (if fit), Nicholson, Riley

OUT: Bail, Byrnes, Watts

FB: Dunn, Garland, Terlich

HB: Georgiou, McDonald, Grimes

C: M. Jones, Cross, Vince

HF: Jetta, Frawley, Viney

FF: Pederson, Dawes, Kennedy-Harris

FOLL: Jamar, Tyson, N. Jones

INT: Howe, Nicholson, Riley

SUB: Salem

EMERG: Bail, Clisby, Gawn

Howe & Jetta would be on last chances. Bail possibly a little stiff but if Garland doesn't get up I'd then keep him in the 22.

Byrnes would be gone for good now I'd think unless we get cut down by injuries late in the year and Watts needs to go out and dominate for a few weeks if he's after another crack

I don't think we'll see Salem as sub, did more team things and showed more class in one quarter than others did for the whole game.

Bail and Terlich. I've been calling for these guys to be dropped for weeks now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gorgeous Georgiou rubbed out for a match, though I think it could go either way. He did hit Buddy in the face but from some angles it's clear he was trying to chop the arm and if you watch it in slow motion you can see how obvious a dive Buddy took.

Watts needs to go back to the VFL and find that form he carried into the St Kilda game.

My hopes -

INS: Garland, Kent, Riley

OUTS: Terlich, Bail, Watts

My predictions -

INS: Garland, Kent

OUTS: Bail, Georgiou

Agreed. Big call to put Watts out. He is on the edge though ...

Why is everyone saying Georgiou will get rubbed out. Budgies fart with more impact than his strike on Buddy. What a joke!

I think Roos will sit him down and say 'Georgiou if your going to take a swing at Buddy make sure its a good one'

• Like 3

In: Gawn, Riley

Out: Watts, Howe

Salem to start as sub again - Roos did it with JKH (making him sub for his first few games), and we are being rewarded now because of it.

Gawn to play as 3rd tall forward.

Byrnes plays because really, we don't have anyone at Casey putting their hand up to take his spot, and I also don't think he was as bad as what some are suggesting.

Kent has to come back via Casey. He only needs one game back there with a strong performance to earn a recall, given he was out of the senior side due to injury, not form.

Evans was dropped from the senior side, and has yet to prove he is eligible to be re-selected.

The sooner Nicholson is not considered a potential inclusion, the better off we will be.

Jetta plays on Betts, simple as that.

Alexis plays, he won't get suspended.

Out: Terlich, Watts, Byrnes

In: Garland, Riley, Kent

Clisby for Georgiou if he gets a holiday.

Sad Dee - Bail doesn't get dropped on the weight of performances. He had a bad week. Watts and Terlich have had several in a row.

I have always been doubtful of Terlich but he is growing on me - I don't think he should be dropped. As Roos said in the presser he is willing to put up with poor disposal if they show defensive effort.

Terlich is good because he has attacking flair - something Georgiou lacks.

Possible outs:

Georgiou - no attacking side to his game

Byrnes is useless - to small and slow and offers little defensive pressure.

Bail - much rather him than Nicholson but he needs to show more (maybe he was tagging I don't know)

Howe/Watts - both could be dropped for lack of effort. Watts probably goes first.

Possible Ins:

Garland (if fit)

Riley (if fit/form warrants)

Kent (if fit)

Fitzy (If form warrants) - could provide relief for Jamar and an extra target up forward

Toumpas (If form warrants)

Strauss/Clisby - one of these guys needs to be included - Strauss has pace and a good kick (we need a rebounding backman - work your magic Roos)

Outs: Byrnes, Georgiou, Bail, Watts

Ins: Kent, Strauss, Riely, Garland (if fit) or Fitzy

Call me crazy but I would like to see how Watts reacts from this point against Adelaide.

He could absolutely be dropped but this would be the first time he has been so chewed out by a coach that there is nowhere to hide from.

Paul Roos told you your efforts weren't good enough - there was a bit of fire in his eyes and he came out and responded somewhat in the last term (his look was more promising than Howe's bewilderment).

I would set him the task of redeeming himself this week in the AFL in lieu of the VFL.

• Like 2

Before deciding what to do with Watts the question which need to be asked is this: What, if anything, is going to make him a better player? We all know it's about his hardness and willingness to take on the contest, but where is he going to learn it? I don't see how he improves these aspects of his game by playing at Casey. The slower pace of the game will allow him to get away with the style of play he brings to the seniors, so I can't see him getting better. On the other hand, he seems to be making extraordinarily slow progress in the seniors. It seems to me he needs a "hardness coach". We may have one - that might be exactly what Brett Allison and Brad Miller are doing - but, so far, it's not showing results.

Personally, I'd leave him in the seniors and have him in the middle every time Cross is there.

As to the other players, I see no reason to play Byrnes. There's no future benefit and he adds nothing now. I thought Jetta was again poor. Bail seemed poor, but he's got some credits in the bank for earlier performances this year.

So, perhaps it's time for Byrnes to be retired to play the remainder of the year at Casey and Jetta to go back. Perhaps Garland, Riley or Clisby could come in.