Who has exceeded your expectations in 2014? and Why?

Interesting thought on who has exceeded Demonlanders expectations so far this year, would be great to hear yours.. I have two

Nathan Jones: In the beginning of the year i thought he was pushing to be an A-Grader and looked good because we had no one good. This year has changed my view further, i now classify him an elite midfielder of the comp and the best player ive seen at Melbourne for a long, long time. He has also passed Murphy as a player, which makes me grin.

Dom Tyson: While was quiet last week, he will be an absolute star at this rate. Couldnt understand why he didnt get a game at GWS and still dont understand. The Salem and Tyson trade in my opinion could turn out to be the best trade of the modern era. Both are classy footballers, something we lack. Toumpas, Tyson, Viney, Salem and Jones makes me salivate.

thoughts?

Dunn - has been terrific this season. Testament to a strong coach. I look at Pettard and wonder how he would be traveling for us. He's doing very well at Richmond IMO.

• Like 1

Dunn - has been terrific this season. Testament to a strong coach. I look at Pettard and wonder how he would be traveling for us. He's doing very well at Richmond IMO.

Tyson...not exceeded my expectations. He was a no brainer to trade for. Big bodied, smart and hard. He has so far met my expectations.

JKH...I also see him tiring as the year moves on, but boy have we seen something new this year! Love him.

Dunn - starting to look a 'smart' footballer

Cross - not just another elite trainer reject from a winning culture(eg Byrnes) seriously works hard on game day

Kent - great overhead, strong and growing in confidence

I agree with all players mentioed by the previous posters. I also regard the Tyson & Salem trade for pick 2 was one of our most inspired trades for some time. I cannot wait to see Salem playing regularly in the Ones.

I was very impressed with Kent against Carlton. I hope he can get back on the field soon to build on that performance.

Jack Viney and Tom McDonald are two others who have exceeded my expectations. McDonald was unlucky in Round 1 and a little off on the weekend, but I think he looks much more confident and composed than in previous seasons. Viney has had more of an impact than I'd anticipated he would after his very limited preseason.

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 1

I have heard Ricky enjoys a beer or 300.(which is not a crime)

He also dropped the most important mark in our recent history.(should be a crime)

We had to let him go.

Jones - Hardly surprising but has lifted his game to another level.

Viney - Still seems like a kid that's played less than 50 games but has already developed a "don't argue" run through packs and is a joy to watch when he has the ball.

Frawley - After an unacceptable outing against the Eagles has improved dramatically as a forward. IMO he should remain there.

JKH- much more explosive than I expected especially for 68kgs :-)

He is explosive but not very quick over long distances. Opponents make ground up on him very quickly.

The question was asked re Tyson not getting a game at GWS. He injured his PCL pre 2013 season and only returned for the last 2 games. Was always going to be a gun and brilliant to pick him and Salem up for pick 2.

JKH demanded to be picked with pre season form and pleasantly surprised that he has come on so quickly.

Georgiou has surprised me as well. Came into footy late played SANFL and is holding down a key defensive post on much bigger apponents. His cover for Garland while injured cannot be understated.

Dawes, in 2 games he has shown form not seen in the last 3 seasons. I didn't think he was capable of contributing as much as he has shown and thought he may be past his best hope but he is a leader and I hope he can stay on the park.

Cross, the tackling machine. My Dog's supporter friends told me he was past it and cannot kick. Well he has been a fantastic acquisition, a leader and inside ball getter and exceeded what I had hoped for

• Like 2

Exceeded:

Tyson - Unfortunately been tagged by the best but his earlier performances were great

Spencer - No Gawn or Jamar and has had to fill the void. Has a lot to improve but I like his pressure and pace, particularly in a team which has been lacking effort

Pedersen - Better than last season and has some value with our constant injuries both back and forward

Dunn - Saw him training with Frawley running up and down Anderson Street Hill over summer which has paid off and has stopped the silly decisions

Frawley - Didn't think him going forward would work, and proved very wrong

Met: (not meant to be negative, expected big things from these guys and they have met them)

N. Jones

Dawes

JHK

Jones - Hardly surprising but has lifted his game to another level.

Viney - Still seems like a kid that's played less than 50 games but has already developed a "don't argue" run through packs and is a joy to watch when he has the ball.

Frawley - After an unacceptable outing against the Eagles has improved dramatically as a forward. IMO he should remain there.

He is explosive but not very quick over long distances. Opponents make ground up on him very quickly.

Seems to have good awareness, so hopefully will dispose of the ball before being caught.

Dunn and Pederson have surprised me a lot this year.

Dawes impact on team play wa immediate and unexpected. I saw him as a forward companion for Clark, Hogan etc... but he has been pure gold in both games

Tom MacDonald. He had a shocker for most of 2013, but is once again running, spoiling and playing on. His kicking is still a bit shaky but...

• Like 1

Dunn and Pederson have surprised me a lot this year.

Dawes impact on team play wa immediate and unexpected. I saw him as a forward companion for Clark, Hogan etc... but he has been pure gold in both games

Tom MacDonald. He had a shocker for most of 2013, but is once again running, spoiling and playing on. His kicking is still a bit shaky but...

I didnt think Tmac was bad last year?

I am a big fan, except im not a fan of his kick

No ones really exceded any of my expectations.

Actually i was hope one or two stars would emerge, but we still really lack one or two.

The new recruits have gone well, but i guess cross has pleased me the most.

Still not sure what to make of tyson, whether he will be a bonefide star or just a good player.

Vince seems skilled but a little lazy.

I was very please with dawes marking ability so far, and his ability to recover below his knees.