Jealous ...

jumbo returns

What we saw today were two teams where every single player goes in hard regardless of whether they are regarded as inside, outside, ruck or anything else. They all give 100%, they all work hard off the ball, they all do the one percenters. This is the culture that Roos is trying to give us here, and we are a hell of a long way off getting it right, not because of the skill level, but because of the commitment of the players.

• Like 3

What we saw today were two teams where every single player goes in hard regardless of whether they are regarded as inside, outside, ruck or anything else. They all give 100%, they all work hard off the ball, they all do the one percenters. This is the culture that Roos is trying to give us here, and we are a hell of a long way off getting it right, not because of the skill level, but because of the commitment of the players.

Correct.

Work out a team's ball movement and then choke, choke, choke.

Geelong set up so well against Hawthorn's HBF left footers.

Disciplined, professional.

Sad thing is I am so used to watching good other teams play and wish "if only it were the dees".

I really don't watch other teams anymore it's just to depressing.

Some days I wonder if it will ever be the dees tbh

• Like 2

These games are crackers, just remember the core of both these teams have being playing together for 7-10 seasons and most have been developed to be the best they can be.

Both teams have leadership all over the ground and they drive the teams to excellence.

They also have been playing to a game plan for several seasons, which only receives a slight tweak yearly to stay ahead of the pack.

We are several seasons from being in this situation, but I hope we get there eventually.

The scariest thing about Geelong is that they can afford to get rid of players like Chapman...who are still guns slightly more injury prone...they must have a super strong september ready list

I believe it is called "list management" an oddly unfamiliar concept at the MFC.

Hawkins "clicked" about 4 years ago...after a rather shaky start.

Just imagine if Watts could go to that level....Hawkins 2nd Half was truly magnificent today..Not often you see Whorethorn get ripped apart.

Happy Happy Joy Joy......

I believe it is called "list management" an oddly unfamiliar concept at the MFC.

Hey, we have list managed!

Isn't that where you put undermanned teams on the park and aim to win a particular amount of games so you can get the number one and two draft picks?

Confidence

Trust

I watched Stevie J hang out of a contest because he backed Hawkins to win a 2 on 1 and get the ball to him

He did. Stevie swoops on the loose ball - Cats goal

They just believe in each other so much.

I'm sure our blokes lead up thinking "where the [censored] is this going ?"

Port plays Geelong next week, in Adelaide. Should be a corker.

They're very undersized down back without Lake and Schoenmakers.

Their backline remains their weakness, and it's even worse than normal without those two. It's just that the rest of their side is so good, no one other than Geelong has been able to exploit it properly.

This is exactly why they will throw everything at Frawley, and exactly why he will go.

It [censored] sucks.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 1

What stands out most to me are Geelongs leaders.

MFC have a great leader in Nathan Jones, a few years too late - but that is another story.

Geelong have 6-7 guys that lead like Jones.. They have Selwood, Bartel, Johnson, Hawkins, Taylor, Kelly and Mackie, all leaders in their own right.

MFC have Nathan Jones, that is the difference.

We have Viney coming through and hopefully Hogan.

But.. We lack leaders, no doubt.

It's why Cross also stands out, Geelong is full of the those type of guys.

They also have Enright. Last year they made a tough call on Chappy. Prior to that Ling, Scarlett, Harley, Mooney, Ling, Corey, J Hunt. (I think Scarlett left of his own accord). Plus Ablett quit the club.Here we are arguing about whether Jordie, Grimes or Watts should get a game next week. We beat Carlton and are upbeat for a week, reality is we are so far behind the two teams that played today it's scary . Out of our current list only Jones, Dawes, Chip and Dunn, would get a look in. Possibles are Tyson, Viney and outsiders Tmac and Vince. Cross wasn't mentioned due to age. Can't see Geelong bottoming out anytime soon.

No more three year + contracts unless you are a proven performer, this works both ways, don't perform.....sodd off. Perform and get another contract.

I'm assuming we all saw Langfords game......enough said.

• Like 2

watch the style of play ... 5 things stand out.

1. one grab footy

2. smart footy ... kick to 15 metre out of the goalface. Not to pockets.

3. physically players go at the footy. No short steps.

4. real desire to win

5. kick long to forwards ... not 5 chip kicks going nowhere

Hawkins "clicked" about 4 years ago...after a rather shaky start.

Just imagine if Watts could go to that level....Hawkins 2nd Half was truly magnificent today..Not often you see Whorethorn get ripped apart.

Happy Happy Joy Joy......

Hawkins is huge! Didn't he get easily brushed aside in his early years? Not now.

Both sides take contested pressure marks..

If only....

We are a fair way off WYL. It's an important factor letting us down week in and week out and has been for a few years now.

The Cats are 2nd only to Port Power in "contested marks" averages so far this season.

Hawks are 10th here and The Demons 15th.

We average approx 20% less contested marks compared to the Hawks and about 63% vs the Cats. Approx 19% less contested marks every week vs the league average.

We are a fair way off WYL. It's an important factor letting us down week in and week out and has been for a few years now.

The Cats are 2nd only to Port Power in "contested marks" averages so far this season only to Port Power.

Hawks are 10th here and The Demons 15th.

We average approx 20% less contested marks compared to the Hawks and about 63% vs the Cats. Approx 19% less contested marks every week vs the league average.

And they get paid the same wage!!

Makes it hard to have incentive to try harder than our players have ever tried before.

Glad to read that Roos took them all in today. Don't hide from it.

And they get paid the same wage!!

Makes it hard to have incentive to try harder than our players have ever tried before.

Glad to read that Roos took them all in today. Don't hide from it.

This has shitted me for years WYL. When you look at what our blokes have produced over the last few years compared to almost anyone else and yet they get the same 10 mill or so shared around. There was an old saying about your hand shaking on payday (ie you didn't earn it). There's a few of our blokes who should have permanent tremors.

This has shitted me for years WYL. When you look at what our blokes have produced over the last few years compared to almost anyone else and yet they get the same 10 mill or so shared around. There was an old saying about your hand shaking on payday (ie you didn't earn it). There's a few of our blokes who should have permanent tremors.

Maybe you have hit on the reason our players fumble the ball so often.

• Like 1

What was Clarkson thinking? Hawkins monstered him!

Yes poor Cheney was hung out to dry I thought watching that last quarter, conceding 10cm and about 20 kg. I was hoping Clarko would swap "Tickets" Gibson onto Hawkins to see how he handles a man on man contest with a big forward with the ball coming in repeatedly, I suspect the result would have been the same.