POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Far out that video is embarrassing. I hope they watch it.

We would be 50% better if we ran like an AFL standard side (in both ways). Killed on the overlap all day, and turned it over partly to do with poor skills / decisions but also because of lack of options / separation (running!).

I take a broader view of AFL footy than many here and as I was walking home from the game on Sunday I wondered what I'd do to help the club if I was running the AFL.

I couldn't come up with anything that is in any way possible. Some will argue for a priority pick but one PP next year will not solve our problems. The AFL have helped secure a competent CEO who has lured a competent coach but the problems seems so deep I just wonder how long is needed to rectify the damage done over the recent past and whether the MFC will survive that period.

I know Scoop and know what a passionate supporter he is and what a passionate supporting family he comes from. I'm much older than him and in the not too distant past used to have restless nights in anticipation of a MFC game. But like Scoop I sat through Sundays game with not any excitement, no anticipation, no emotion and no anger. I just expected it. When we kicked our second goal in the third quarter I couldn't understand our supporters excitement. I reckon I'm as welded on as they come but on my walk home I also wondered how I could add some excitement to the year (because excitement is what footy used to be) and I'm seriously considering following another team for the year. Not forever, not paid up, but just to try and put some fun into footy. I've watched many of my passionate friends lose interest. They didn't want to but they just aren't interested in witnessing regular 100 point thrashings any more. They just don't enjoy being totally non competitive and I think, like me, many saw hope this year only to see it gutted on Sunday.

I was absolutely bullish in the preseason. I saw a Darren Lehmann like led recovery. But as Choko said in a post, the players are mentally shot just as the supporters are mentally shot.

Franky31 is another I know. His posts in the last few weeks are atypical and reek of the frustration of investing emotionally in this mob and I don't blame him. At least he has the energy to be angry but I'm not even angry any more.

Tasmania will most probably have a team when the next TV rights come about. 19 teams don't seem practical. If we don't emerge very quickly and reactivate the supporter base there will hardly be a whimper when the oldest club in the competition is relocated. And that might suit the AFL very nicely.

The next 10 weeks might well tell the most important part of our history.

Those seven words cover it for me bb

I Have the same feeling my disconnect has started.

• Like 1

You say that with the same confidence you expressed in Neeld, McLardy, Stynes and Schwab. Your view, held by many, failed to anticipate a reasonably foreseeable outcome.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/cmon-tassie-we-need-a-team-effort/story-fnj4f7h7-1226862240976

Try and think ahead this time or you'll be protesting in front of AFL house as the players board the boat to Tassi.

And you resort to your own little chestnut...

Why don't you move on past your own inaccurate and dismissive recollections of my views and your snide dislike for me as a poster and stick to the arguments.

Tassie is nowhere. Cheery little articles of state pride notwithstanding - they should not have re-upped with Hawthorn and they are nowhere.

• Like 1

And you resort to your own little chestnut...

Why don't you move on past your own inaccurate and dismissive recollections of my views and your snide dislike for me as a poster and stick to the arguments.

Tassie is nowhere. Cheery little articles of state pride notwithstanding - they should not have re-upped with Hawthorn and they are nowhere.

A bit like the MFC rpfc

The next 10 weeks might well tell the most important part of our history.

I don't want to sound alarmist but I think you're being generous with your assessment of the time available to us Bob.

If we can't get our act together and play something that resembles good football in the next two weeks, who on earth in their right mind would go to watch the unwatchable?

I don't want to sound alarmist but I think you're being generous with your assessment of the time available to us Bob.

If we can't get our act together and play something that resembles good football in the next two weeks, who on earth in their right mind would go to watch the unwatchable?

I was having this discussion today. THe MFC have my membership money so my turning up or not, doesn't make that much difference.

There are matters of inconvenience involved in actually going to the footy.

I reckon my reserved seat will remain unused for a while

I don't care how much of the pill they got, how improved our midfield is, or how depleted our forward line is, they were deplorable.

This video goes to some length to show a handful of instances that demonstrate how lacking the team was on the day. From a few seconds into the game they stopped running and didn't care. This video is damning.,

Wow...

Just.

Wow.

You sometimes wonder how it got this bad.

Someone please email that video to the club, that lack of chase 4 minutes in from frawley is disgusting, deserves to be dropped just for that.

• Like 1

Absolutely shameful, Shuey was at least 10 metres behing Frawley when Darling received the handball. In the end Shuey was 15 metres in front of Frawley when he received the handball back from Darling and goaled. Frawley was just jogging into empty space. Fair but futile effort from McDonald with no support to cramp Darling and ended up chasing Shuey too. He was trying to cover both.

Edited by america de cali

I was having this discussion today. THe MFC have my membership money so my turning up or not, doesn't make that much difference.

There are matters of inconvenience involved in actually going to the footy.

I reckon my reserved seat will remain unused for a while

I just met a new girl who lives at Richmond, so from now on I'll just walk by the g, swipe my membership then walk straight back to hers! That way it still looks like I was there, but I don't have to watch the 2 hours of touch football that we've been playing!

That footage of frawley and Pederson is just disgraceful. I can wear skill errors if they are the exception, but jogging after a player like that 4 minutes in is just incompetent. I've tried to stick up for Pederson but if you can't shepherd your teammate, you might as well go and play golf or something where you can just worry about yourself.

It has been a long while since I had the opportunity to watch the Dees live because I have been living in Europe for a number of years. When possible I watch replays and every now and then a live streaming. I have been able to watch replays of the first two rounds and my observation is that I really feel for the players and the way that they have been coached and treated for the last 3-4 years.

They have had to go through 3 different coaching setups and styles. 3 (at least) different game plans. That is assuming none of the three Coaches Had/have a plan B. They have faced the internal upheavals to the club management and the death of a club legend who was the President and driving force. On top of that, a media blitz and detailed analysis of every event.

Early on in Neeld's coaching stint I questioned his methods. I did not think his 'My way or the Highway' attitude to the players was correct. Instead of looking at any strengths there were within the group and working to those strengths while also working towards a game plan, he stopped them dead in their tracks and said 'This is the direction you are taking. No exceptions. Do it now.' To my mind this completely demotivated individuals and destroyed any group culture. It sucked the life out of the team and there was no enjoyment in it for the players. Over the last few seasons this has just compounded into to an endless downward cycle.

The task Roos has is a formidable one. He has to restore the individuals and also the fabric of the team. To my mind, work with the individual players as closely as possible. Give them the framework in which to work (game plan) and make sure that they know they will need to take risks to succeed. Some of those risks will work and some will not. The only repercussions of failure will be because of failure to learn from the mistakes.

I would love to see my team winning. It has been a while and that will take a bit more time to come about. What I want to see every week from my team in the interim is that they go out there and provide some excitement. They go out there and show enjoyment in playing the game, some passion. The game plan is important to long term success but to expect them to go out there and execute it 100% from day one is a fantasy. We are playing a high passion game with limited skills and practice at doing so. we have had exactly 2 competitive games to express this style of play and very limited opportunities at turning possession into attack with confidence and speed. In any team sport one of the keys to success is sped and precision of transition from defence to attack and vice versa. Our team has not had the experiences to execute these important phases of play.

Look at he West Coast game. Their speed and precision on the turnover was great. One big factor in this was that they knew that their team mate would compete for the ball and they started their movement for space half a pace (at least) before we could react.

With our lack of a workable coaching structure and lack of success over the last few years the club has retarded the development of a number of key players. We will need time to bring them on and make sure we can get the very best out of them. 1 pre-season is not enough to complete the job. I will be very disappointed if Roos walks after 3 seasons and equally disappointed if Jackson leaves after this season. The team and the club need a period of continuity and stability if they are to survive and give themselves and opportunity to thrive.

I am as [censored] off at the results such as last weekend as the next supporter but I believe I have an understanding of how we came to be in this situation. I still need to see that we have the tools to dig our way out of the present situation.

All I ask is that the team and coaches give me a bit of excitement each week. Something to enjoy. Forget about media scrutiny and Political correctness. I know that the team is just as [censored] off with losing as I am. Be mindful of the long term ambitions of the GAME PLAN but play with passion and enjoyment each and every week. Do handstands, climb a goal post, run circles around someone that is standing you. Enjoy yourselves, take us along for the ride.

I care about the results and will always follow the Dees but I would like return on my investment of time, money and passion over the years. Not asking for much. A bit of excitement and a bit of enjoyment, a laugh or two.

End of rant and if you have read this far, I salute you.

• Like 4

It has been a long while since I had the opportunity to watch the Dees live because I have been living in Europe for a number of years. When possible I watch replays and every now and then a live streaming. I have been able to watch replays of the first two rounds and my observation is that I really feel for the players and the way that they have been coached and treated for the last 3-4 years.They have had to go through 3 different coaching setups and styles. 3 (at least) different game plans. That is assuming none of the three Coaches Had/have a plan B. They have faced the internal upheavals to the club management and the death of a club legend who was the President and driving force. On top of that, a media blitz and detailed analysis of every event.Early on in Neeld's coaching stint I questioned his methods. I did not think his 'My way or the Highway' attitude to the players was correct. Instead of looking at any strengths there were within the group and working to those strengths while also working towards a game plan, he stopped them dead in their tracks and said 'This is the direction you are taking. No exceptions. Do it now.' To my mind this completely demotivated individuals and destroyed any group culture. It sucked the life out of the team and there was no enjoyment in it for the players. Over the last few seasons this has just compounded into to an endless downward cycle.The task Roos has is a formidable one. He has to restore the individuals and also the fabric of the team. To my mind, work with the individual players as closely as possible. Give them the framework in which to work (game plan) and make sure that they know they will need to take risks to succeed. Some of those risks will work and some will not. The only repercussions of failure will be because of failure to learn from the mistakes.I would love to see my team winning. It has been a while and that will take a bit more time to come about. What I want to see every week from my team in the interim is that they go out there and provide some excitement. They go out there and show enjoyment in playing the game, some passion. The game plan is important to long term success but to expect them to go out there and execute it 100% from day one is a fantasy. We are playing a high passion game with limited skills and practice at doing so. we have had exactly 2 competitive games to express this style of play and very limited opportunities at turning possession into attack with confidence and speed. In any team sport one of the keys to success is sped and precision of transition from defence to attack and vice versa. Our team has not had the experiences to execute these important phases of play.Look at he West Coast game. Their speed and precision on the turnover was great. One big factor in this was that they knew that their team mate would compete for the ball and they started their movement for space half a pace (at least) before we could react.With our lack of a workable coaching structure and lack of success over the last few years the club has retarded the development of a number of key players. We will need time to bring them on and make sure we can get the very best out of them. 1 pre-season is not enough to complete the job. I will be very disappointed if Roos walks after 3 seasons and equally disappointed if Jackson leaves after this season. The team and the club need a period of continuity and stability if they are to survive and give themselves and opportunity to thrive.I am as [censored] off at the results such as last weekend as the next supporter but I believe I have an understanding of how we came to be in this situation. I still need to see that we have the tools to dig our way out of the present situation.All I ask is that the team and coaches give me a bit of excitement each week. Something to enjoy. Forget about media scrutiny and Political correctness. I know that the team is just as [censored] off with losing as I am. Be mindful of the long term ambitions of the GAME PLAN but play with passion and enjoyment each and every week. Do handstands, climb a goal post, run circles around someone that is standing you. Enjoy yourselves, take us along for the ride.I care about the results and will always follow the Dees but I would like return on my investment of time, money and passion over the years. Not asking for much. A bit of excitement and a bit of enjoyment, a laugh or two.End of rant and if you have read this far, I salute you.

Thanks for typing this.

You're a passionate supporter and love your team, like all on this forum.

So many have lost interest, their belief and are asking for more.

You espouse a game plan, but I still maintain you need AFL standard players for ANY game plan.

The players are not good enough to compete at this level.

As for Frawley? Pffft!

Thanks for typing this.

You espouse a game plan, but I still maintain you need AFL standard players for ANY game plan.

As for Frawley? Pffft!

Yep jr

For a lot the disconnect has happened and may never reconnect

What concerns me is that if Frawley and his ineptitude was an isolated instance, I might be tempted to say that perhaps there was something wrong with him - a bad knock early, a niggling injury etc. However, the malaise seems to be going right through the club with several players seemingly playing without interest.

Is this a round 2 thing at the club, have they been subjected to mass hypnosis, do they not have time for Roos' game plan, are they on strike or what? I'm puzzled at how pathetic these bozos were on Sunday - they just keep on insulting the supporters with their half hearted performances.

Enough already!!!

Have a listen to his pressor the penny has dropped with Roos and how hard this is going to be.

Players are going to be nervous cause he will not put up with players who do not do the non negotiables.

Expect changes this wk

i agree, but I think he's disappointed that the players words aren't being followed with the intent needed.

So I think that the player led improved workrate & commitment hasn't shown any action.

I reckon he's thinking he'll have to be sterner & roll up the sleaves. I think he sounds disappointed that he has to do it the hard way to get thru to so many of the players we already had on our list

This is the culture I've been referring to for the last 10+ years, the bruise free crept in many ears ago; & then the lazy attitude crept in when the stars of that day, weren't required to do the dirty work, whilst the likes of godfrey & others did the tackling & chasing. corcorans era. why did sheeds get rid of him DC again?

.... then after many changes, our gun recruiting team got us all sorts of outside types whilst the game had swung back to contested footy. just swell.

• Like 1

So if Jones thinks players werent trying their hardest you would assume they that they wont be selected next week?

If they arent going to try, dont play them. Id rather see a worse line up but full of players that will try than what we witnessed on the weekend... Ball is your court Jones and Roos

I wouldn't be betting against Hogan joining him if he doesn't start to play with these boys soon and develop some sort of affection for the club. People shrugged off the Freo scarf photo, but they're kidding themselves imo. A kid like Hogan won't waste his time and generational talents on a cellar dweller he doesn't give two hoots about.

Is having so many talls injured just plain old bad luck or does it go to conditioning? Even by Melbourne standards, it is bad.

Three pre-seasons and our boys don't look much fitter on match day to my eyes, if at all.

I guess Roos trusts Misson so we back him in, but it doesn't alter the fact he is one of the last remnants of a 3 year period that has been a cataclysmic failure.

you know, we might be lucky, as I'd rather see the fringe players, playing in early season anyway,,, to see who could be good, who' needs certain teachings, & who's just not going to cut it at this level.

Then we have all season to get some targeted & appropriate training into those who have a future.

soon we'll get many of our talls back together, adding to this teams better players, & to the gamestyle. and add viney in as well.

not all is lost, just yet, & the silver lining will then start to shine thru.

There are many reasons why this is uncalled for, unfair and disgusting.

But its really funny.

What do you mean ? that was acceptable to you. get a grip on reality

• Like 1

There was improvement.

Last year we never got near the ball - got creamed in the possession and they walked around us like we were standing still.

Sunday we got lots of the ball and then gave it up to the eagles and they walked around us like we were standing still.

In all seriousness - we stunk it up big time on Sunday - but last year we didn't get the ball at all so we didn't fumble it or turn it over. So far this year we are horrific ball butcherers, we are fumblers and poor executors. But as opposed to last year at least Roo's doesn't have to teach them how to actually get a football. He just has the monumental task of teaching them what to do when they have it in their hands.

Nut you are some sort of apologist ? Surely you dont find that acceptable?

This happens to me every year, my son is now 12 and he used to love footy, he came to the saints game last week with new hope, but after the game said i thought we were going to be better this year dad.

Didnt come yesterday for obvious reasons.

This is what this team has done, it has killed the love of football for so many young Dees......

My son has seen three wins in five years of watching footy, thats a disgrace, football shouldnt be like this.

not just young demons, DeeZee. I'm just hanging on for grim wins, of some sort.

I can't even watch the footy on TV any more. I turned the games off last weekend after 10 - 15 mins' & put something on ABC or SBS on. disinterest has taken from it for me.

I'm just pushing with everything I can, in the hope some will wake-up & change this clubs silver tail culture, & get footballers who are hard & tough & can play.

Thanks for typing this.

As for Frawley? Pffft!

It is the old question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. We need a structure in which to develop the players, and to date over the last few years, this structure has been lacking.

To me in the past it seems as if we have recruited players and believed that with low draft picks we have a completed player ready to go and in no need of nurturing and development.

Now we are in a situation of maturing players that have not had the support and development they required. Therefore, your assertion that the players are not good enough may well be correct. I am prepared to give them a chance to develop within a proper structure for a while before I kick them out.

Frawley is a great example of the players problems with the club. Chops and changes with the footy department, upheaval in the administration and uncertainty with the future of the coaching team and on top of that, no enjoyment in playing the game he loves. put in place a structure to get the best out of Frawley and you will have solved 90% of the problems with the team.

• Like 3