Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

who honestly cares?

I reckon Dockers supporters will feel a little jilted. I have many friends who are hard core Freo supporters.

I will add the article to my FB wall today and stir the pot.

But I don't really care. Pick 23 for Sylvia will go down as one of the best FA compensation wins in the history of FA.

I'm fairly content.

Edited by McQueen

Playing in the WAFL for $400 000 and training half as hard as the AFL

Seems like a reasonable gig dc

The reports were $1 million over 3 years.

Not bad for potential.

Just needs a good preseason. Maybe next year.

Seems like ground hog day. Deja vu (deja vu all over again - intentionally erroneous) all the truisms.

I cant help but feel sorry for Col's inability to knuckle down.

My demons supporting cousin coached him under age up on the Murray

He said he had never seen a more rounded match winner. Speed, power, light years above others. Made it sound like Gary Ablett senior at Myrtleford.

He has disappointed many people.

Edited by Franky_31
  • Like 1

I cant help but feel sorry for Col's inability to knuckle down.

My demons supporting cousin coached him under age up on the Murray

He said he had never seen a more rounded match winner. Speed, power, light years above others. Made it sound like Gary Ablett senior at Myrtleford.

He has disappointed many people.

I'll admit, I was seduced by the player I hoped Col to become and kept the faith until the end. (I also had faith in Cale to become a player.... thats costly)

It wasn't until I moved to MIldura 18 months ago when I learnt about the real Col and how much of a goose he can be. I saw a couple months ago when he was home, looked super strong but really bulky/heavy. It seems all mids these days are leaning down on top and getting that big arse/core area for strength there. Col looks the opposite and seems to be happier showing off his beach rig. Still, anyways, had a good chat with him and he seemed in good spirits. Seems like he is just a big kid who loves life.

Unfortunately his love of life saw him having a few fairly decent cracks on the sauce when he was in Melbourne in the early new year as well with a mutual friend I learnt recently.

Shame with Col, has all the tools but one to be a good player. That tool is the scone on his shoulders!

I'll admit, I was seduced by the player I hoped Col to become and kept the faith until the end. (I also had faith in Cale to become a player.... thats costly)

It wasn't until I moved to MIldura 18 months ago when I learnt about the real Col and how much of a goose he can be. I saw a couple months ago when he was home, looked super strong but really bulky/heavy. It seems all mids these days are leaning down on top and getting that big arse/core area for strength there. Col looks the opposite and seems to be happier showing off his beach rig. Still, anyways, had a good chat with him and he seemed in good spirits. Seems like he is just a big kid who loves life.

Unfortunately his love of life saw him having a few fairly decent cracks on the sauce when he was in Melbourne in the early new year as well with a mutual friend I learnt recently.

Shame with Col, has all the tools but one to be a good player. That tool is the scone on his shoulders!

It's a fine line between having all the tools and just being one.

• Like 8

I think Sylvia will be a great case study of the recruiting vs development argument.

There will be no excuses for him not to perform at Freo, given he will be playing in a very strong team and under a fantastic coach, two factors not present at Melbourne over the last seven years.

If he tears it up for them, it will show us that we have failed to extract the best out of him and not developed him well.

If however his career just ambles along with mostly mediocre performances highlighted by a few standout games, this will help to demonstrate that his time at Melbourne was not severly impacted by poor development.

I was just saying the exact same thing to someone else. Yes, I realise I'm quoting an old post.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

I was just saying the exact same thing to someone else. Yes, I realise I'm quoting an old post.

If however his career just ambles along with mostly mediocre performances highlighted by a few standout games, this will help to demonstrate that his time at Melbourne was not severly impacted by poor development.

This argument is a stretch. First of all you are taking one lazy, brainless footballer in isolation. Most importantly - you have one lazy brainless footballer who was probably indulged at Melbourne from the age of 18 to 28 and to suggest that after 10 years of this he doesn't turn it around after one year at Freo, that it is no reflection on our development process and culture ? There is an old adage about not being teach old ( and incredibly stupid) dogs new tricks.

I'm not suggesting that if a Roos would have got to Colin at age 20 he would made him into a disciplined footballer - what I will suggest that if Roos wouldn't have been able to get commitment and discipline from Sylvia he would recognised it and moved him on much earlier.

• Like 1

On the AFL website Ross Lyon hinted that Sylvia's problems come from Melbourne. Sylvia's problems come from Sylvia.

As good of a coach as Lyon is, I would prefer Barry Prendergast to recruit and manage a football list.

Then my did you pay big money for him Ross.

Poor decision and you cannot manage him.

• Like 1

On the AFL website Ross Lyon hinted that Sylvia's problems come from Melbourne. Sylvia's problems come from Sylvia.

As good of a coach as Lyon is, I would prefer Barry Prendergast to recruit and manage a football list.

Just threw up in my mouth despite your sarcasm.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

In this follow up interview Ross clearly puts the responsibility on Sylvia, not the MFC. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-06/sylvia-causes-review This comment says it all: "He has to get himself in AFL midfield running condition. By his own admission over Christmas he didn't run and really enjoyed himself immensely over the break and came back in poor condition," Lyon said. In the interivew Lyon's outlines the lack of work by Col since he arrived at the club and the comments are quite an indictment on Col and his p... poor attitude.

Looks like Freo's recruiters didn't do their homework properly. I suspect they will be tightening their No D H Policy. Thankfully we are the winners.

In fact, while its still early days, we seem to be winners on just about every trade since Roos arrived. While not all trades will be 'stars' they will be great value for what we paid for them.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

He couldn't even do a 3 Km time trial when he arrived!!!

Roos wanted "Col to stay", but thank god we dodged this bullet.

Colin Sylvia is all grey cloud. The greatest differential between performance and potential that we have seen.

He couldn't even do a 3 Km time trial when he arrived!!!

Roos wanted "Col to stay", but thank god we dodged this bullet.

Colin Sylvia is all grey cloud. The greatest differential between performance and potential that we have seen.

Roos said he wanted Col to stay, like Clark was our best footballer, Chip is doing everything required etc. etc.

You never take what Roos says about these things as being gospel, you watch what happens. Silvia...gone, Clark...gone, Frawley...gone and all without a major effort from us to keep them.

I think Roos got what he wanted.

• Like 19

Now we can look back and at least give a partial credit to Brock McLean. Less talent. Less pace. Bigger buttock. Bigger engine?

McLean, without pace, and without Sam Mitchell's side-ways movement, had a serviceable career IMO.

It's a fine line between having all the tools and just being one.

He walked out on the club, he's not the only one.

He hasn't been able to put in enough hard work to succeed in the AFL. He's not the only one.

Wow, must be a tool.

He's actually a hell of a nice guy.

Potshots from behind your computer. Nice work hero.

• Like 1

Rod Owen?

• Like 1