Liam Jurrah's attempt at a comeback

Whispering_Jack

Yes. I used to attend church regularly, in a past life. A bloke there who I had barely ever spoken to shot his wife after she really got under his skin. Gave himself up, and went to trial - all covered in the papers. Pretty messy story about what had been going on, out of which he got 18 months minimum security. Two years later I was at a different church, and there he was suddenly in front of me. Recognition and hesitation arrived on his face at once, but his eyes never moved away. No time to think, I stepped up and shook him by the hand and said g'day. "Good to see you," I said, calling him by his name - that was about all, but I have never forgotten it and for all I know perhaps he hasn't either. Well, anyway the more I've thought about it the surer it feels that I did the absolutely right thing.

Fellow feeling - we are programmed for this. We recognise a fellow human being's need and hurts. Weighing it all up and passing judgment is not our business, thank goodness - we just recognise and reach out a hand. I did, and I'm not sorry at all. Learned something, that day, it seems to me. And I hope the poor fella has moved on and doesn't feel crushed by his past any more.

And I hope his former wife's parents don't either.

I've often wondered why or how anyone can kill another human being.

Back to the subject of Liam Jurrah; he will never play for the club again, so the dream is over.

• Like 1

He is a criminal he is such a bad person he doesn't deserve a second chance he deserves to live in jail

wow!

you know nothing. you never met the man. you contradict those who did, you contradict the Court that tried him ... or are you pulling my leg?

I mentioned the guy, trying to suggest that in the event you don't necessarily think a person's mistake/crime/whatever is an albatross around their neck forever. I had had some experience of seeing a guy after he'd done far worse than Liam Jurrah did - and my experience was that I saw a nervous man who feared nobody would ever allow him to be anything other than his crime. You - who did not have this experience - tell me that my experience was wrong, and the other guy's fears were right.

Fact is, Liam Jurrah did his part today, trying to come back after being in a bad place. You heroes feel pretty righteous about saying "no way!", do you?

I don't think you have any idea what reality is. It's infantile theorising, slamming the door on those who made a mistake - as though you never did anything wrong. Oh - "crossed the line"? Your judgmentalism is the greater offence, in my opinion. Both the bloke I knew, and Jurrah, had pressures that don't excuse but certainly explain what they did wrong. You can explain where your malice and hatred and purity came from, can you? That your appalling comments can be understood and overlooked? Or do you say what neither Liam nor the bloke I knew said - that you were right to do it?

• Like 1

I'm really glad for Liam. Obviously those who have been posting on here that Liam is simply a drunk and a drug addict are way off the mark. Either that, or heis the greatest physical specimen known to man.

I rather think he might be trying awfully hard at a rehabilitation. Good luck to him.

Wonder how Wonna's conditioning was today???

I'm really glad for Liam. Obviously those who have been posting on here that Liam is simply a drunk and a drug addict are way off the mark. Either that, or heis the greatest physical specimen known to man.

I rather think he might be trying awfully hard at a rehabilitation. Good luck to him.

Wonder how Wonna's conditioning was today???

This whole post is way off the mark.

He is a criminal he is such a bad person he doesn't deserve a second chance he deserves to live in jail

Who are you talking about, Ted Bundy? Or who?

You and me both RF, but it only goes to show what charmed and to some extent sheltered lives we lead.

Actually not quite; I mixed with a group of guys, when I was a young lad, that were pretty bad people. How bad I didn't comprehend until some years later.

The Croxton Park Hotel was my local and some vey bad people drank there and some of the worst, mainly from Richmond, knew some of my mates, hence the connection.

Edited by RobbieF

Every thread that's started about Jurrah dissolves into pointless rubbish.

Can we please just get the hell over it.

• Like 4

Thanks for the score update 'Jack', much appreciated.

Thanks ... there's a bit of noise in the twitterverse to the effect that Liam might have kicked 7 goals today but I'll stick with my mail which comes from the NT News which is a solid Murdoch product of the Aussie variety (cf News of the World).

Whatever the number might be, it's a fair effort for the bloke but still nothing to get carried away with given that Damien Cupido kicks that many in his sleep up there these days and a local player from Vernont, Justin Van Unen came up to NT a couple of weeks ago and kicked 12 and 9 in his first two games.

wow!

you know nothing. you never met the man. you contradict those who did, you contradict the Court that tried him ... or are you pulling my leg?

I mentioned the guy, trying to suggest that in the event you don't necessarily think a person's mistake/crime/whatever is an albatross around their neck forever. I had had some experience of seeing a guy after he'd done far worse than Liam Jurrah did - and my experience was that I saw a nervous man who feared nobody would ever allow him to be anything other than his crime. You - who did not have this experience - tell me that my experience was wrong, and the other guy's fears were right.

Fact is, Liam Jurrah did his part today, trying to come back after being in a bad place. You heroes feel pretty righteous about saying "no way!", do you?

I don't think you have any idea what reality is. It's infantile theorising, slamming the door on those who made a mistake - as though you never did anything wrong. Oh - "crossed the line"? Your judgmentalism is the greater offence, in my opinion. Both the bloke I knew, and Jurrah, had pressures that don't excuse but certainly explain what they did wrong. You can explain where your malice and hatred and purity came from, can you? That your appalling comments can be understood and overlooked? Or do you say what neither Liam nor the bloke I knew said - that you were right to do it?

I am sorry you feel that way but it is a possibility that you are saying that because you know someone that has been through something similar and you would hate for that to happen to them. anyway he should do his time in prison like every other criminal

I don't wish him ill, I don't wish him well either, I'm in the middle.

I wish the women around him well, and hope they stay safe.

Usually I'd totally agree with the sentiments of your post, but blokes that hit women are cowards and deserve all they get. And people seeing past that because he wore our jumper for 5 minutes shits me to tears.

My sentiments too Deestroy all.

I am sorry you feel that way but it is a possibility that you are saying that because you know someone that has been through something similar and you would hate for that to happen to them. anyway he should do his time in prison like every other criminal

Whoa there Big Jake! That can be a possibility but doesn't everyone deserve a 2nd chance? He won't ever be coming back our way so don't worry about it!

My sentiments too Deestroy all.

Whoa there Big Jake! That can be a possibility but doesn't everyone deserve a 2nd chance? He won't ever be coming back our way so don't worry about it!

Yes i guess everyone does deserve a 2nd chance. I guess he should come back to footy to start a fresh and repair his reputation

I know a lot of people on here will think i'm off my rocker, but i really think we should consider rookieing Jurrah (and Wonna if he is interested) and we have room for them both: but this has to be on strict conditions:

1. they (and Garlett if we draft him) are mentored and supervised on a full time basis by Aaron Davey, who should be appointed a Player Welfare Officer; and
  2. they commit to a full preseason, and if there is any misbehavior they are sent back. Maybe we should be suggesting that for players with "issues" who can make a case out for a second chance, that there should be an interim position as an "Interim Rookie" whereby they can be sacked half way through a season, and replaced with a new rookie if they "go off the rails". i'm sure this would result in many more under privileged young men being drafted, particularly indigenous blokes.

If we can get them really fit, and committed, Wonna solves our small forward problem (he was one of the best in the business when he was up and going, much better than Garlett, Byrnes, or Rohden), and Liam would make our forward set up the most potent in the league. You don't get many opportunities to recruit a ready-made player who you know can kick 40 plus goals a season and average almost four a game. He is also as good a mark as Howe and is better at ground level, and a better tackler - Liam is an awesome tackler when in full flight, but probably could improve his defensive skill and his willingness to run back as well as forward. He wouldn't be alone there, but that can be taught as Roos will do for the whole team. Let's for the sake of this post, assume Wonna and LJ agree to these terms and they are up and firing at Casey by mid year, so much that we elevate their rookie status (we are sure to get some injuries), let's pick our best team:

FB: Bleese McDonald Garland

HB: Toumpas Frawley Grimes

CC: Watts Freeman Tyson

HF: Hogan Dawes Jurrah

FF: Howe Clark Wonna

Foll: Gawn Vince Viney

Inter: Trengove McKenzie Jones Sub: Cross

Emerg: Michie Riley Kent Evans Jamar Fitz

mmmmmmm.....I think that team could go places!

Edited by Dees2014

Love the optimism Dees2014.

I struggle to believe that a club wouldn't give Liam another chance. He is footballing genius. Wona never totally got to up and firing for long enough.

I doubt Liam will be drafted back to us though, Roos never seemed rated him from what he said On The Couch - but that was with his Sydney blinkers on. Maybe its different now he needs a creative forward.

Tiwi Bombers 22.11 (143) defeated Central Australia 20.14 (134) in a great game at TIO Stadium this afternoon/evening.

Liam Jurrah kicked six and Roy Kantilla with five.

Open attacking non defensive minor grade football. Who was that bloke we were all raving about a year or two ago. Never drafted.