Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Introduced, as an Englishman, by an RSM who said I would make a good 'rover', thought he was being derogatory but of course had to agree with him, played in Vic, Qld, ACT and Vic again, all fierce amateur comps, as for the 'younger' brigade who are glad to see the back of the 'biff', it was character building, finally gave up at the age of 50 when my knee wouldn't behave any more

I broke my leg in my first game for Buraja in the now defunct Coreen & District League in 1963. Resumed with them in 1964.

Played in the school team while at Corowa High School, winning the football trophy in 1964, not that this meant very much, as I attracted zero interest from VFL scouts.

Several team mates from the school side did go on to bigger and better things, including Peter Chisnall (North Melbourne), Cec Rhineburger (Fitzroy), George McInnes (Richmond), Fred Longmire (South Melbourne & father of Swans coach, John) and Greg Lambert (South Melbourne).

Went to PNG in 1965 as a Patrol Officer and was in an area where there was no football.

Changed careers and became a high school teacher in PNG in 1969 in the Chimbu District. There was no Aussie Rules there so I was talked into playing Rugby League. It was violent, being referred to as 'kill him white man' by the indigenes.

Introduced Aussie Rules to the school boys in the Chimbu and they took to it like ducks to water, managing to get the odd game against a couple of Catholic high schools run by Christian Brothers from Victoria.

Transferred to Goroka where Aussie Rules was a popular game. Captained and coached the high school team that played in the town competition, winning the grand final in our second year.

That year our Goroka District team beat Port Moresby in the PNG championships, which would be like Williamstown beating Hawthorn. This was due to the fact that we had a Lutheran pastor in our team who was a handy player. His name was Brian Schwartz and he'd played for South Australian against Victoria, playing on Alex Jesaulenko.

Retired at the age of 26 after our GF win. A good way to 'hang up the boots'.

Another football tragic whose fanaticism and desire far exceeded natural ability. Such is life! If only ........

• Like 3

the abridged version.

Came to country as 5yo. Didnt know what footy was til after cricket season grade 1. Fell in love with it, you could use hands , I was rubbish at soccer.

Played all through early school, played for school , played regionals, selected emergency for State rep. No one got sick :(

Similar time played for local suburban u/age. My best mate got selected for Richmond little leaguers, cant remember how but ended up there to for a year :) Got to run out on G, kicked goals. all in wrong colours..lol

High school. Moved to Syd. 1970 My school had no Footy team , ended up playing RL as I could drop kick a ball.. Clever rues, 5th tackle , pass it to 'bub' who'd slot a field goal. Worked a treat til other schools twigged . Found the dirt very quickly in some games afterwards.1971 introduce AFL . Team resembled revenge of the nerds but hey it was footy. Back to Vic Play'd Bball mostly as training was easier and local. Worked until Footy coach sprung me and ended up playing both as schedules permitted ( or not )

Took great speccy using A Moir in a Garry Lyon role in interhouse footy one year.

Uni -Played inter uni for a few years

went o/s even managed to teach a few Irish lads how to kick a ball at Regents Park... that was 1983 , so who knows what that started !! :rolleyes:

back home ...play some burb footy in SESFL for a few seasons, mainly in the Poos

Playd a few charity style and pickup games . havent really kicked a ball in anger for a long time now. Kept playing gerry bball til about 5 years ago

Love footy :)

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Country footballer that came through the TAC cup with the bushies and played with some very good AFL today.

Went over to the SANFL to have a year under Former demon player Clay Sampson then back to Victoria to the VFL with Coburg who interestingly was coached by Jade Rawlings for half the year before he took over from Terry Wallace.

Played EDFL for Northern Saints now back up the country playing the strong Ovens and Murray league (Fev League) and still going today ^_^

Though didn't have a really good year this year battled hamstring problems... :unsure:

Great thread could snag a few recruits for the forum games Lol

Which O & M team do you play for, DD?

I grew up in Corowa in the early 1960s, long before they amalgamated with traditional rivals Rutherglen.

The O & M was one of the strongest country leagues, if not the best, in those days. Lots of ex VFL (AFL) players coaching and playing with teams.

One more story before you all tell me to Pissoff. Late seventies, I have played 150 odd games mostly on the ball but now doing it pretty easy at half back playing on the sort of average forwards who find themselves at half forward. Back then most of them were decoys for the key centre half forward. Usually no problem shutting my man down to a goal here and there. We line up at Brighton United ESCFC. I am at half back picking up a 15 year old, looking for another win and easy day at the office. Holy [censored] this kids kicked 4 on me and set up another 3 by the 20 minute mark of the first quarter. Con Gorodizdis who went on to play for the St Kilda and the Dogs. Never seen anyone as good at 15! Stand in front he was on your shoulders, stand behind and all you saw we're his stops in your face. I tried some physical stuff and he nearly throttled me and this from a teen! We lost big time that day I think he got 9 or 10. But it was a previledge to witness what real talent looks like. And gee he was a shooting star in the VFL that faded. it never ceases to amaze how some people can be so gifted physically.othing he could not do

I was at school with Con Gorozidis - he was 2 years ahead of me. You are right, at 15 he was an absolute superstar - nothing he couldn't do. Problem was he didn't get any taller after 16 and was easily pushed around by the growing stature in the 80's. Had every skill in buckets, though.

Grew up playing junior footy for the might Romsey Redbacks. Played in there 1996 U18 premiership.

Played a couple of years in the Seniors/Reserves at Romsey in the RDFL

Moved to Ballarat and played for Lake Wendouree in the BFL seniors for two years

Moved to Melbourne played for Powerhouse in the Seniors/reserves in the VAFA for 3 years

Changed to Old Essendon in the VAFA for 2 years

Moved to perth and played social for a year work was hectic

Moved to Sydney and played for Balmain Dockers in the Seniors for 2 years

Moved to Melbourne and played in the SFL for 2 years

Moved to Sydney and played for Southerland Sharks in the Seniors/Reserves

I played with some pretty serious teams and it wasnt because i was any good im just tall and can jump.

Grew up playing junior footy for the might Romsey Redbacks. Played in there 1996 U18 premiership.

Played a couple of years in the Seniors/Reserves at Romsey in the RDFL

Moved to Ballarat and played for Lake Wendouree in the BFL seniors for two years

Moved to Melbourne played for Powerhouse in the Seniors/reserves in the VAFA for 3 years

Changed to Old Essendon in the VAFA for 2 years

Moved to perth and played social for a year work was hectic

Moved to Sydney and played for Balmain Dockers in the Seniors for 2 years

Moved to Melbourne and played in the SFL for 2 years

Moved to Sydney and played for Southerland Sharks in the Seniors/Reserves

I played with some pretty serious teams and it wasnt because i was any good im just tall and can jump

I've been to Old Essendon a few times as a visiting club supporter and can say without hesitation that they put on the best half time afternoon tea in the entire VAFA. For $5.00 you get real value and a superb spread. Puts my club to shame.

I was at their new ground a couple of years ago and my only concern was that its so close to the airport that you have to duck your head every time a plane comes in to land. :lol:

I grew up in the Western District of Victoria and played Junior and Senior footy for the Pirron Yallock Tigers who were part of the Colac and District League. My grandfather played in their one and only premiership in 1924 of which I have an original team photo of. I was never a jet and floated between the ones and magoo's for the majority of my time there but that was really due to application as opposed to skill which in turn was influenced by too many frothies with the boys on Friday night before the game. Played under Rob Pekin who was the older brother of Tim (former Fitzroy and St Kilda player) for a few years and experienced the best win of my career during this time. We were playing Apollo Bay at their ground and we're getting smashed by half time. Bay were the reigning premiers and we were the perennial cellar dwellers. There was a howling easterly and it must have been only 8 degrees this day and we knew the game was lost. Peko however, gave the most stirring address followed by an equally as stirring rendition of 'yellow and black' which connected with the team like something I'd never experienced before and have not since. We came from 9 goals down to win by a goal or two by memory. It was after this that I truly got addicted to the game. Unfortunately, not long afterwards I moved overseas for work and footy ended for me - almost..

I tend to think I was light years ahead of the AFL when I invented my own 9 per side game back in 2000 whilst in Zambia. Myself and another expat used to take the pill down for a kick on one of the soccer pitches over there which was in a fairly remote part of the country. Slowly, a few of the younger village kids came out and joined in and then more, including men before it became too chaotic. This became my first coaching role and we set up a few sides which also involved Angolan refugees from a massive refugee camp 10 Kms away. Talk about hilarious although some of the young kids there picked it up surprisingly fast.

I'm now 41 years old and have been playing Masters footy here in WA for the past 7 years. Play on the ball, floating forward for a rest every now and then. This is easily the most enjoyable time I've had playing football in my life.

If anyone still has a desire to have a kick but is on the wrong side of 35 yrs, do yourself a favour and search for your nearest Masters football association and get back into it. Rules are slightly modified but boys will be boys and the competition is still pretty fierce.

I like to think I've got another 20 years to go yet.

Great thread, read every post in detail. Well done to everyone.

I played a season with the Mandurah Makos (AFL Masters) but moved to the country for work.

It was fun but like so many MFC recruits, I spent more time injured then on the field.

:blink::blink::o:o

• Like 1

As a youth, I was a talented schoolboy footballer , and I was invited to do a preseason with StKilda , when they were located at Moorabbin.

I was picked up from school by taxi and taken to training one evening , where , after introductions , I was asked to 'warm up' with a 10 lap jog around the oval .

The first lap was a breeze , the second , slightly less so, and the third was like running up hill backwards .

I feigned tightness in my hamstrings , and asked if a taxi could be booked for an immediate return home .

My VFL ( as it was called in those days ) career was ended almost as quickly as it had begun .

• Like 3

I played for Uni Reds under legendary coach, Kenny Frencham(of "pair off in threes" fame).

Our first year we were in the Metropolitan Football League, playing against Fawkner, Merlynston, Reservoir(before they joined the Ammos),Brunswick Districts, westgarth AllBlacks, etc

They hated us Uni snobs and there were some pretty violent clashes.

A few of my team mates were Demon supporters,Jim Smith, "Laughing"Alan hall, and Pat Smith( not the journo). I often wonder if any of my old team mates(or opponents) are Demonlanders.

Which O & M team do you play for, DD?

I grew up in Corowa in the early 1960s, long before they amalgamated with traditional rivals Rutherglen.

The O & M was one of the strongest country leagues, if not the best, in those days. Lots of ex VFL (AFL) players coaching and playing with teams.

Walking over to Cross rival Wang Rovers, after 2 years at Wang Maggies.

Very strong league and some tough footballers too. Justin koschitzke just signed with Lavington Panthers so that will be an interesting hitout.

Some good people come out of Corowa but none other then Jim Sandral. I was seeing his grand daughter for a bit and managed to see all of his 1956 premiership memorabilia and photos.. It was defiantly a moment il never forget. I was in absolute awe of all the stuff he had. Could not meet such a gentle country bloke!

I still have dreams that I'm playing in footy matches(though I'm 64!)

I'm always found wanting for intestinal fortitude in the dreams, but do jag the odd 6 pointer!

Funny about that, JJC. It must be the age (I'm 66).

I was having a footy dream one night, too, and was about to launch into a looong torpedo.

Just before I could watch it soar between the posts from 50 metres out I was awakened by my wife who was in tears. Not because the shot for goal had missed, but because I'd kicked her right in the middle of the back with my follow through.

It's just as well that my 'dream' has not become a recurring 'nightmare'.

• Like 3

Walking over to Cross rival Wang Rovers, after 2 years at Wang Maggies.

Very strong league and some tough footballers too. Justin koschitzke just signed with Lavington Panthers so that will be an interesting hitout.

Some good people come out of Corowa but none other then Jim Sandral. I was seeing his grand daughter for a bit and managed to see all of his 1956 premiership memorabilia and photos.. It was defiantly a moment il never forget. I was in absolute awe of all the stuff he had. Could not meet such a gentle country bloke!

I have some vivid memories of Wang Rovers when they were coached in about 1968 by former South Melbourne 'strongman', Ken Boyd.

Boyd king-hit Corowa's coach, ex Pie, Frank Tuck, breaking his jaw in several places.

Jimmy Sandral was a footy legend at Corowa. Very seldom beaten, though a young kid from Rutherglen took him apart twice in the one season. His name was Hassa Mann.

Interestingly, they both ended up at Melbourne a year or two later.

• Like 2

Funny about that, JJC. It must be the age (I'm 66).

I was having a footy dream one night, too, and was about to launch into a looong torpedo.

Just before I could watch it soar between the posts from 50 metres out I was awakened by my wife who was in tears. Not because the shot for goal had missed, but because I'd kicked her right in the middle of the back with my follow through.

It's just as well that my 'dream' has not become a recurring 'nightmare'.

youre not alone...ive kicked mine too :unsure::rolleyes:

I never played a game of AFL.

But still kicked the wife but was dreamin I was kicking a dog.

I migrated from the UK in 1970 grew up playing soccer and rugby union.

I played Rugby Union till around 30 including representative games for Victoria.

I always enjoyed watching AFL but never realy had a team until I started going out with el presidente. Her family going back through a number of generations have been rabid demons fans and if I wanted in I had to jump on. My father in law has been paid up member for over 60 years without a break and his brother made his final journey recently to the sound of a Grand Old Flag. The whole extended mob bleed red and blue.

I probably have a skewed view never having played the game because I know you cant realy understand a game you have never played.

• Like 2

I was never blessed with much footballing ability,. Had OK athleticism and a reasonable left-foot but had a knack of being where the ball wasn't 99% of the time. My best position was in the backline where I could simply worry about my opponent not getting a kick.

Only played low level underage club and school footy.

It's hard to enjoy something when you're no good at it so I haven't played a competitive match since about age 15. Always preferred watching it.

I never played a game of AFL.

But still kicked the wife but was dreamin I was kicking a dog.

I migrated from the UK in 1970 grew up playing soccer and rugby union.

I played Rugby Union till around 30 including representative games for Victoria.

I always enjoyed watching AFL but never realy had a team until I started going out with el presidente. Her family going back through a number of generations have been rabid demons fans and if I wanted in I had to jump on. My father in law has been paid up member for over 60 years without a break and his brother made his final journey recently to the sound of a Grand Old Flag. The whole extended mob bleed red and blue.

I probably have a skewed view never having played the game because I know you cant realy understand a game you have never played.

But, "Bedraggled",there could be advantages to not having played.

For example, when I played, you NEVER kicked across goal, you never hand- balled in the back line,and we all kicked drop kicks and torpedoes. Kicking backwards!!!????? A complete no-no!

So even though I've watched the game evolve, and can see the need now to perpetrate what used to be sins on the footy field, I probably have more pre-conceived , and fixed,ideas about the game than someone like you with an open mind. Also, having played soccer, you would see the tactics that have become common to both games, which would help your insight.

• Like 1

From 15 yo played 8 years at WAFL level Colts/Reserve and League, had a couple of injury plagued seasons that ended my footy career early.

Where did you play your Junior footy DDRAKE & what vintage are you I played Colts late 80's

5 years with Ballarat in BFL, 4 with Horsham in the WFL 2 years bush coaching in the Horsham District League.

Highlight was a flag with Horsham in 1970 where I contributed - got a mention the pink paper with the punch - Sporting Globe.

There were some ex VFL players around the Wimmera in those days, Gary Hamer coached us, Roy West & Des Dickson with Stawell and Russell Crowe with Warracknabeal.

• Like 1

*sorry, didn't mean to write a novel, but it's quite a therapeutic and enjoyable experience, writing your own football obituary. So much for keeping it brief.

I'll try to keep it brief, but I know I'll have trouble...

Participated in vic kick for a bit as a young primary school kid but never enjoyed it much for some reason.

On reflection, I guess there didn't seem to be much point to it.

It was just drills and laps of the oval, at that stage.

I remember that I was annoyed that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was on a Saturday morning at the same time, and that probably had a lot to do with my distaste.

Although I loved the footy cards my dad would give me afterward training, with the stick of chewy. Nothing like it.

Still, gave that away after a year or 2.

Played basketball & enjoyed it a lot more for many years after that, much to my father's chagrin.

Didn't have much interest in footy beyond following the dees until asked by a mate to help make up the numbers in U/15s.

Wasn't terribly fit and was all arms & legs, but I enjoyed it and stuck with it. Didn't have much impact in my first couple of seasons in the GFL.

On reflection, unbeknownst to my club and I, their heyday had just come to an end, and they had and would continue to neglect the junior elements of the club, having traditional bought in talent a la Carlton rather than developing talent from within.

As such, we were perennial bottomfeeders in the juniors, and treated like an afterthought, or a way to build the local supporterbase.

I found I ran around on the ground not really knowing where I was meant to be, lacking any direction, as did a lot of my teammates.

Coaching wasn't of a great standard, lacked any coherent strategy mainly pleading with us to just bust a gut to win, and traning mostly consisted of triangle/rectangle kicking drills & 5 star handball. Numbers weren't always great.

There were a good handful of rotten eggs in the team, too, but they were tolerated because they were the few that could play.

Didn't result in a great culture.

Continued that way for a couple of years.

As I got older and fitter, my coordination and skills improved and I felt like I could contribute more.

Was still soft as butter and didn't know where I was supposed to go on the field.

Like many of my teammates, wasn't really provided with great footy mentors, and never really had the wherewithal to seek them out myself.

Being switched to a HBF helped, as I knew I just had to follow my man and go forward when I had it.

Began to find the ball a bit more, was asked to make up numbers in the 2s from time to time, gained confidence.

The older guys in the 2s were more inclusive and understood the benefit of helping the younger ones to get better.

Training with the seniors helped, although it was more competitive than I expected.

Weren't these guys supposed to be on my team?!?

Still didn't really "get" the game and was soft as they come when I finished playing U/18s.

Would say I was mentally and emotionally immature at that stage, despite physically being able to go with the fittest in the league.

Finished school.

Went to preseason camp taking on the hills in Lorne for a few days and impressing a few who previously wouldn't have known my name (I always was a training track specialist).

Properly adjusted those expectations once the season started.

Slowly began to mature and develop a harder edge.

Hadn't realised until that stage that my skills were actually very good if I just focused on executing them correctly and blocked the rest out.

Changed my mentality to despise soft efforts, although considering my beginnings I can't deride anyone else & I know it can be changed.

I distinctly remember moments at the age of 21 when I realised I now had the ability to see the game, where I needed to be, what was going to happen a couple of steps ahead. It was an epiphany.

I also recall one wet night at training when our perennial-interleague-selection former-AFL-listed FB said to me "some nights you look bog ordinary, but then there's moments when you do something that makes you look too good for this league."

It came after a kick to my lead was about 7m too short, I kicked up a gear, threw myself down on my knees, sliding in to take a chest mark almost lying down, then still sliding in the wet, in one motion pushed myself up from a kneeling position without using my arms, steadied and kept running without breaking stride, and delivered the ball to the next target like it hasn't happened.

I didn't have to think about it, I just instinctively knew what to do once I saw where the kick was going.

I'll forever hang my hat on that quote and that one act!

2 weeks later I had an incident where I broke my leg similar to the Sam Blease incident.

I ended up dislocating my ankle and having to pop it back into place myself.

That kept me out of footy for a good while, might have been over 12 months, although it did actually heal stronger than before the injury.

The time out of footy though, had me focused on other interests and pastimes.

Uni was very busy for me too at that time and I felt like I had years and years ahead of me where I'd be able to play footy.

Didn't so much give it away, but it was too easy to find legitimate reasons not to go to training half the time, and wasn't getting a game as such. Didn't help that I was very very rusty when returning.

Represented my uni in the Australian University Games, which was a lot like the International Rules junket, where you just happen to be playing footy in between chasing tail & treating your body like an amusement park.

Had a former brownlow medallist and premiership player as a coach.

Only gets really serious when playing Melb Uni, as they take it way too seriously & everyone hates them.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has a solid crack, but preparation is lacking and you're mates at the end of the day.

Won a couple of medals.

Left Australia for London to work & travel for 6-12 months; stayed 3 years.

Football over there is... interesting.

Not many leagues obviously, but you get expats from all walks of life having a kick.

It's a social thing more than anything.

You have some blokes who haven't played since U/12s, and some blokes who are former VFL or AFL players.

Then there's the Irish or the other euros.

Had relative success there, but it's not much to crow about.

Hit some good form at one stage in my 3rd season, got tunnelled going for a mark and did my AC.

That was the end of footy there for me.

Came home, decided to get back into footy after a couple more years, before it was too late for me.

Had let my fitness go a bit, and suffered a series of hamstring injuries trying to get back into it too quickly.

Pinged as many hammies as Chappy.

Eyesight has deteriorated too, making it hard to judge the ball in flight.

Just makes me admire even more some of the guys I saw as a junior, who got around as quality players despite wearing coke bottle glasses the rest of the time.

Did that for a couple of years bouncing around between lower level clubs, trying to play with mates before pulling the pin last year.

Was too hard watching teams play in finals whilst I was on the sidelines icing an injury.

It's a lot easier when you're not involved.

I think my time is over now, although I do sometimes let my imagination run away with me.

I firmly believe that my deep love for the MFC and football strategy, tactics, etc comes from my initial frustration at a lack of understanding at even a basic level, and then from being deprived of playing at times, and also being deprived of watching games while I was overseas.

In fact, I felt quite a bit of (unreasonable) guilt as an MFC supporter, returning from abroad to find the club in such a perilous state, as if I'd been derelict in my duty as a supporter, letting it get to this far.

It's not logical, but it did make me realise how much I really care about this club and that I should be an active part of it if I want to see it one day achieve the ultimate success.

I blame demonland for exacerbating this feeling.

fin.

• Like 1

Consistant school sports representative but was never allowed to play football because i needed to wear glasses

After moving to the City from Portland in 1968 didnt really do anything other than running

Signed a Form 4 for the South Melbourne Football Club in 1971

Although very quick I was far too small and having to wear glasses was a real handicap

Took up Cycling instead

Got my driving license at 25 and was racing speedway cars a year later

Must have had a fascination with speed

Still do

• Like 1