WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DOM TYSON

angrydee

Yeah, don't know how to judge it. I will do that in September 3 years from now.

Comparing it to the Judd trade is a little rich, precisely because it wasn't that rich...

I like it for next year though. And he is only 20. This is the age we need to bring in.

Love the idea of it, but it can't be judged yet.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't know how to judge it. I will do that in September 3 years from now.

Comparing it to the Judd trade is a little rich, precisely because it wasn't that rich...

I like it for next year though. And he is only 20. This is the age we need to bring in.

Love the idea of it, but it can't be judged yet.

Last time I checked we didn't throw in Josh Kennedy and GWS gave us pick 9 back, which makes it way different to the Judd deal but good luck to those who tried.

He's not 'A' grade.

I suppose it depends on how you rate players, but you've got to be AA quality to be 'A' grade in my eyes. It's no sleight on him to call him B+, especially as he is.

I suppose on a list that is potentially full of D graders, He's A grade in my world.

He's really been the only shining light this year.....without any substantial support.

He's not 'A' grade.

I suppose it depends on how you rate players, but you've got to be AA quality to be 'A' grade in my eyes. It's no sleight on him to call him B+, especially as he is.

Debateable. It's like an exam. My Chinese mate in Economics Shiyu (Gary Ablett) always got 100%. I never did, generally always 90% flat but on the grading scale we both end up with A+. All - Australian mids are all A+, which means the next 15-20 mids in the game make up A. Nathan Jones would be the second or best midfielder at every club bar I'd say four.

In comparison, he's better than Sloane or Rockliff with what they have around them comparative to him.

He made Mikes top 50 in a team that won 4 games, with one midfielder. The only other team that won a similar amount of games that year and had a top 50 mid involved was Gold Coast. No guessing who it was.

He's not elite, he never will be but I think B+ is below what he deserves.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed and been sent crazy by the 'what is an A-grader' debate.

Recognising that the actual All-Australian team is a political, media and popularity fap-fest, I still think there's a useful 'zone' from it to describe A-graders.

Here's my habit -

Player's who in a good season are in the discussion for All-Australian selection, I would call 'A-graders'. At Melbourne that would historically mean players like Yze, Robertson, White and Neitz, and right now for example it would include Jones.

Those players who are constantly under consideration for All-Australian and other team-of-the-year types of recognition, I would describe as 'Champion'. We're talking about Pavlich, Cox, Watson, and of course Ablett.

Any time I think of that difference, it makes me reflect on how long it has been since the Demons had a 'champion' player on their list, and I sometimes wonder how many of those 'A-graders' were being paid like champions because of the lack of a really outstanding reference point.

It's also something I think will affect GWS - having the traded-in 'A-graders' (or less than) on the money of champions may well create long-term pressures, since some of the kids are clearly, clearly, going to be champion quality. what will their expectations be?

But, back to the topic - Dom Tyson is clearly an A-grader with a long career in front of him, and our chances of getting another A-grader from pick 9 is only marginally less than pick 2, so WOOHOO!

Wrong. It was 3, Kennedy (pick 4 in 2005 - largely unproven at the time) & 20 for Judd, 36 & 54.

The initial point was that if the best player in the competition's value was a top 3 pick (or alternatively 3 top 20 picks) why have we given away a top 3 pick (or two top 20 picks) for a largely unproven kid and an overall worsened draft position that may or may not net us anything better than what we could've got at the draft initially?

Yes Tyson was a pick 3 and yes he has had two years in the system but that doesn't equate to pick two - by that logic Jack Watts>pick 1. Pick 20 could've been used on Bernie Vince who would've had far more immediate impact on our midfield in 2014. As I've said previously we'd want to nail pick 9 at the draft.

I bow to Roos & co's greater knowledge of the landscape than I and hope to one day happily eat humble pie and look at today as the day the club really got it right. I'm happy to disagree with others but I don't see this as a great deal for our club presently.

I think it was Judd and 46 for Kennedy, 3 and 20, which means the Blues gave up even more than you thought. I thought we were using our compo pick for Vince now, which doesn't impact on the trade.

Each draft is different, as are the circumstances and needs of each club going into them. Thus the subjective value of each draft pick changes from year to year. West Coast had Richmond playing spoiler and the perception that there was a significant difference in abilty from the top 2 players to the rest of the draft. The Eagles leveraged this beautifully and Carlton blinked.

We didn't have that situation. If Buddy went to GWS then things might have been different as Boyd who is coveted by a number of clubs may have come into play at 2. I think the wheeling and dealing around the number 1 and 2 draft picks may have been intense. They obviously have a mid in mind with our pick so would they have held onto the number 1 to get him thus making our number 2 pick very valuable? We will never know.

It just comes down to the views of the recruiters, GWS view one of the mids to be significantly better than the others, we obviously don't. Time will tell as to who came out with the better deal and just as with the Judd trade views will fluctuate from year to year. As you mention Kennedy was an unproven player when traded as is Tyson, lets hope Dom works out as well :)

• Like 1

I honestly dont know how to feel about this one. Others will know more about Dom, and I'm keen to hear what they say, but for someone with low stats (yes I know he was injured) and to give up 2 and 20 (I know we get 9) just doesn't sit right with me. Time will tell and Im not writing the kid off, just not sitting well with me atm

I love this bloke, have seen a couple of his games on the box only.

I really hope he can stay on the park. Exactly what we need.

Big chance too, no joke

I haven't seen Dom Tyson play at all myself, but I've seen enough of Dom Sheed to say that he is the closest thing to Simon Black I've seen come through the system.

And... Both Sheed and Tyson are exactly what is needed at the MFC.

Many good youngsters will be there at 9, hopefully Sheed is one of them.

I haven't seen Dom Tyson play at all myself, but I've seen enough of Dom Sheed to say that he is the closest thing to Simon Black I've seen come through the system.

More left foot silk to add to Barry, Viney & Kent

The Dees are going to have multiple Brownlow Medal prospects walking through their halls.

Starting to get a little of that Hawks left footer thing happening, which isn't surprising given Viney worked at the Hawks and saw it first hand.

Edited by Roosy's Bruisers

The Dees are going to have multiple Brownlow Medal prospects walking through their halls.

Starting to get a little of that Hawks left footer thing happening, which isn't surprising given Viney worked at the Hawks and saw it first hand.

Ill take premierships over brownlows

• Like 2

And we'll add another left footer in Shiel next year!

I've always enjoyed and been sent crazy by the 'what is an A-grader' debate.

Recognising that the actual All-Australian team is a political, media and popularity fap-fest, I still think there's a useful 'zone' from it to describe A-graders.

Here's my habit -

Player's who in a good season are in the discussion for All-Australian selection, I would call 'A-graders'. At Melbourne that would historically mean players like Yze, Robertson, White and Neitz, and right now for example it would include Jones.

Those players who are constantly under consideration for All-Australian and other team-of-the-year types of recognition, I would describe as 'Champion'. We're talking about Pavlich, Cox, Watson, and of course Ablett.

Any time I think of that difference, it makes me reflect on how long it has been since the Demons had a 'champion' player on their list, and I sometimes wonder how many of those 'A-graders' were being paid like champions because of the lack of a really outstanding reference point.

It's also something I think will affect GWS - having the traded-in 'A-graders' (or less than) on the money of champions may well create long-term pressures, since some of the kids are clearly, clearly, going to be champion quality. what will their expectations be?

But, back to the topic - Dom Tyson is clearly an A-grader with a long career in front of him, and our chances of getting another A-grader from pick 9 is only marginally less than pick 2, so WOOHOO!

A few observations...

*Jones hasn't made the AA squad of 40, so he's not seriously in any "discussion".

One 'A' grade year does not make an 'A' grader, imo. Consistent quality years does.

Tyson isn't an 'A' grader. But has time on his side.

*To be fair to Jones he has no help and still has the potential to elevate his game. But I prefer to deal in the present day, not wishlists and biased assessments.

• Like 1

Can't agree with you on the Black comparison. Sheed gets a lot of his ball on the outside although built like an inside mid, he isn't a natural reader of the ball off the ruck and is not sure with his hands in close. All things that Black did well, the only similarity to me is that he is a left footer.

Now I'm judging this off watching one game against Vic Country where he was BOG. In the same game although he didn't have the same impact I think Crouch showed he is a natural in close, reads the ruck well and never gets beaten for a contested ball. I think there will be better picks available than Sheed, just an opinion and not one based on watching a lot of game time but based on observation of how he went about it.

Can't agree with you on the Black comparison. Sheed gets a lot of his ball on the outside although built like an inside mid, he isn't a natural reader of the ball off the ruck and is not sure with his hands in close. All things that Black did well, the only similarity to me is that he is a left footer.

Now I'm judging this off watching one game against Vic Country where he was BOG. In the same game although he didn't have the same impact I think Crouch showed he is a natural in close, reads the ruck well and never gets beaten for a contested ball. I think there will be better picks available than Sheed, just an opinion and not one based on watching a lot of game time but based on observation of how he went about it.

Sheed embarrassed Vic Country, made their whole midfield look second rate.

It's just a shame that he done his collarbone, we would've learned a lot more than we currently know about Dom.

The year before Ollie Wines dominated the champs, this year it was Sheed.

• Like 1

Tyson is the SImon Black clone :)

But with a much better kick :)

Edited by hogans_heroes