Football Buffoons on Melbourne Radio

Mongrel Dee

I rarely listen to FM radio these days so I was quite surprised when I tuned into MMM footy today. The cast of buffoons included, G Lyon, Damian Barrett, Brayshaw and Spud Frawley.

I was half expecting to hear some footy talk about the cracker of a game last night but instead heard the most inane nonsense I have ever listened to on any radio station. The buffoons laughed and joked amongst themselves mainly on in-jokes and frankly pubescent boys type carp. What I find remarkable about this is, MMM actually pay these buffoons good dosh to serve up such rubbish.

Rant done with and no more MMM for me.

I see what you're getting at and generally I agree, but sometimes this blokey stuff can be okay. For some reason that I can't quite explain, I prefer the Saturday night team of BT, Darcy and Richo over the more standard white bread Friday night team.

It's kind of like sitting by yourself at the footy and eavesdropping as a bunch of drunk yobbos spout garbage all night; it's unintentionally hilarious and somehow makes the game just as enjoyable as a well-analysed game of footy would (though obviously in a very different, almost "guilty pleasure" kind of way).

Barrett has overtaken denham as least respected journo for me. of course his anti melbourne stance taints my opinion but he really has no idea about footy in general and can only feed off the back room politics, ala CW, as anything to do with the actual game is beyond him . it is clear he has never been around footy clubs at any level. just an imposter on every level. how he can sit alongside these superb footballers in their day, spud, lyon , and feel he can meanigfully contribute to the conversation is mind boggling. he really should know his place. go get the coffees Barrett.

• Like 2

Robbo is surely the major media goose. Not only are his comments generally banal but he also has the ability to butcher the language in a way that makes you think his native tongue must be some obscure dialect of Xhosa.

EDIT typo

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 3

I see what you're getting at and generally I agree, but sometimes this blokey stuff can be okay. For some reason that I can't quite explain, I prefer the Saturday night team of BT, Darcy and Richo over the more standard white bread Friday night team.

It's kind of like sitting by yourself at the footy and eavesdropping as a bunch of drunk yobbos spout garbage all night; it's unintentionally hilarious and somehow makes the game just as enjoyable as a well-analysed game of footy would (though obviously in a very different, almost "guilty pleasure" kind of way).

Well that makes one person who likes the Saturday night fools.

Personally I don't mind the MMM guys. If you want serious football discussion you've got ABC, 3AW and SEN. It's logical that MMM make a point of difference and go for the shenanigans.

But there's only one commentary team that does TV games which is why I think seven need to think about what they are serving up on Saturday night. BT has jumped the shark, Richo and Lingy both want to actually talk footy and Darcy is horrendous.

Well i must be the only person that don't mind them.

They are a good laugh and love the dish they give out to spud Frawley. Barrett is very cringeworthy though!

I'm with you mate, I think they're quite funny. On the other hand the footy show has been deteriorating for the last couple of years. I also love their call of the game.

Robbo is surely the major media goose. Not are his comments generally banal but he also has the ability to butcher the language in a way that makes you think his native tongue must be some obscure dialect of Xhosa.

How did he ever become chief football writer? His insight to the game offers nothing that I can't see for myself.
  • Like 1

It's all very well that they provide a minor chuckle, but they are occupying space that could actually be filled with hard-working professionals who see their job as sharing the best and most current news in an entertaining way.

It's all just plain lazy, football media at the moment. A slack culture where too many people are convinced they can get along on their 'personality'.

With the perennial exception of Emma Quayle, of course.

• Like 1

It's all very well that they provide a minor chuckle, but they are occupying space that could actually be filled with hard-working professionals who see their job as sharing the best and most current news in an entertaining way.

It's all just plain lazy, football media at the moment. A slack culture where too many people are convinced they can get along on their 'personality'.

With the perennial exception of Emma Quayle, of course.

I think there should be a Caro clause in here. She's a goddamn attack dog, and while I hated when she pursued us constantly, her handling this year of the Essendon saga has been absolutely superb. Her commentary on Dustin Martin has also been excellent despite her bias. I've got more time for her now for sure.

• Like 1

I rarely listen to FM radio these days so I was quite surprised when I tuned into MMM footy today. The cast of buffoons included, G Lyon, Damian Barrett, Brayshaw and Spud Frawley.

I was half expecting to hear some footy talk about the cracker of a game last night but instead heard the most inane nonsense I have ever listened to on any radio station. The buffoons laughed and joked amongst themselves mainly on in-jokes and frankly pubescent boys type carp. What I find remarkable about this is, MMM actually pay these buffoons good dosh to serve up such rubbish.

I quite enjoy listening to the MMM team on occasion. JB's commentary in St Kilda v GWS a year or two ago was sublime when he went on about tip rat having a feast, mnmnum num num nummmm.......

Are you ok 'Chook', I think you've forgotten to take your meds today. Only concerned for you mate.

It would be nice if BT could understand the rules and maybe he can call the correct players tonight. The only thing good on the Saturday night team is Ling. At least he has an idea about what's happening.

As for MMM, couldn't tell you. I listened once and that was enough for me. I don't rate Lyon at all, good footballer knows nothing about the game and the others ........know even less.

The great thing about radio is if you don't like what's on you can change stations.

Will take MMM over a lot of other stations whose commentators take themselves and the game far too seriously.

I think there should be a Caro clause in here. She's a goddamn attack dog, and while I hated when she pursued us constantly, her handling this year of the Essendon saga has been absolutely superb. Her commentary on Dustin Martin has also been excellent despite her bias. I've got more time for her now for sure.

Really? She's not lazy and she can string a sentence together but what does she actually contribute? Her commentary has overtaken her reporting. Actually worse, her agenda, especially regarding us, then Brayshaw and North and then running the AFL line in peptide sage then running the Richmond line in the Martin saga.

It says a lot when the Peptides saga breaks that the Age commission their investigative journalists (which to me is a tautology) because the standard of their football journalism just isn't up to scratch.

I like their cricket writers, because cricket doesn't come with such hysteria they write proper stories. And of course EQ with her draft and human interest/background stories on players. That's about all I'll actually pick up to read.

By the way I'm an NFL fan and I'm loving this website right here - http://mmqb.si.com/

I bet in one weeks worth of articles they provide more quality writing than half an AFL season.

I know others love him but I've never understood the Dennis Commetti love. I just don't get the contrived humor that you just know he's been working on prior to the game.

If you want serious analysis listen to SEN or 774.. Triple M are going for laughs not in depth footy talk..

If you dont like a journalist then dont read them, dont listen to them or dont watch them. Its so simple.

I can believe the melodrama and hissyfits that go on with the latest media piece from the Forum target of the week.

what's good for the goose is good for the gander

if you don't like threads, post or posters then don't read them or respond. Its so simple :)

• Like 7

Really? She's not lazy and she can string a sentence together but what does she actually contribute? Her commentary has overtaken her reporting. Actually worse, her agenda, especially regarding us, then Brayshaw and North and then running the AFL line in peptide sage then running the Richmond line in the Martin saga.

It says a lot when the Peptides saga breaks that the Age commission their investigative journalists (which to me is a tautology) because the standard of their football journalism just isn't up to scratch.

I like their cricket writers, because cricket doesn't come with such hysteria they write proper stories. And of course EQ with her draft and human interest/background stories on players. That's about all I'll actually pick up to read.

By the way I'm an NFL fan and I'm loving this website right here - http://mmqb.si.com/

I bet in one weeks worth of articles they provide more quality writing than half an AFL season.

MMQB is amazing.

If you dont like a journalist then dont read them, dont listen to them or dont watch them. Its so simple.

I can believe the melodrama and hissyfits that go on with the latest media piece from the Forum target of the week.

Given that there's always at least one commentator that I can't stand calling any given game, it's impossible for me to avoid them all sadly.

• Like 3