Rocket Eade to coach Melbourne (rumour)

gOLLy

I wouldn't say that. There's been reports that one of the Scott boys, and Mick Malthouse are seriously interested in adding him to their Assistant Coaching group. He may not be head coach material, but as an assistant coach he has a fantastic reputation.

Dean Bailey got another job very quickly after we kicked him to the curb too, so I'd expect the same to happen for Neeld.

The interest in Neeld was reported in the Herald Sun a couple of weeks ago: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/north-melboune-coach-brad-scott-could-lure-former-dees-coach-mark-neeld/story-fni5f986-1226690613959

There will be room at carlton as MM is ditching all assistants he didn't pick.

I don't mind the idea of Lenny Hayes as an assistant but he needs the right support structures and experienced heads around him. We shouldn't be reactive and say that anyone under 35, despite your good qualities, need not apply. People shitcan Choco Royal constantly here and he has been in the coaching game nearly as long as Neil Craig (albeit as an assistant). Problem is that right now, we have newbies in most areas with Craigy being the only wise head amongst them. Bring Hayes on board for sure but let's also get the balance right too.

I don't mind the idea of Lenny Hayes as an assistant but he needs the right support structures and experienced heads around him. We shouldn't be reactive and say that anyone under 35, despite your good qualities, need not apply. People shitcan Choco Royal constantly here and he has been in the coaching game nearly as long as Neil Craig (albeit as an assistant). Problem is that right now, we have newbies in most areas with Craigy being the only wise head amongst them. Bring Hayes on board for sure but let's also get the balance right too.

Perhaps we could go back to the 'old' days and recruit Lenny Hayes as a 'playing coach' (midfield, that is - not senior coach).

I don't think he'd have any trouble getting a game in our midfield.

• Like 1

You need outstanding people to drive excellence and belief. That's my view anyway. But I do understand that we can't be in the market for more untried and inexperienced types. So I'd be all for Hayes as midfield development coach, someone like a Voss or Adam Simpson as midfield coach/senior assistant and further well credentialed assistants for forward and back.

Eade is 55 and I don't believe he's reached an age where he can't work his butt off and keep a fresh mind if coaching is his passion. So I'm all for him having a good run at it. But having a senior assistant and a plan for handover in 3-5 years makes sense. I'm not sure any one coach could take Melbourne all the way to the top by themselves.

• Like 1

You need outstanding people to drive excellence and belief. That's my view anyway. But I do understand that we can't be in the market for more untried and inexperienced types. So I'd be all for Hayes as midfield development coach, someone like a Voss or Adam Simpson as midfield coach/senior assistant and further well credentialed assistants for forward and back.

Eade is 55 and I don't believe he's reached an age where he can't work his butt off and keep a fresh mind if coaching is his passion. So I'm all for him having a good run at it. But having a senior assistant and a plan for handover in 3-5 years makes sense. I'm not sure any one coach could take Melbourne all the way to the top by themselves.

Master...lets get the main man in place first then talk succession. Struth!!

• Like 1

Perhaps we could go back to the 'old' days and recruit Lenny Hayes as a 'playing coach' (midfield, that is - not senior coach).

What do you guys not get about "untried coaches"...give it a rest or it;; be Neeld Mk 2. Hayes for Captain though..now that's a call...two year contract

What do you guys not get about "untried coaches"...give it a rest or it;; be Neeld Mk 2. Hayes for Captain though..now that's a call...two year contract

What are you on about he never said Hayes should be a snr coach more a playing assistant coach like Luke Power for GWS and Ben Hudson for collingwood.

Would be nothing like a Neeld mark 2.

Unbelievable...

Neil Craig is a better option than Eade, thought he coached really well Saturday night against Gold Coast just didn't have the cattle to finish the job for him.

Disagree entirely. His coaching cost us a winnable game. We stuck with an overly defensive setup when we had them on the ropes and failed to overhaul them in the final quarter. Yes, our kicking for goal was terrible, but at the end of that game we let them have an extra defender and that reduced our ability to get shots on goal when we needed them. He was unable to adjust to the situation and let the game slip away when we could have pinched it with a more attacking mindset.

• Like 3

Hutchy on SEN this morning crapping on that Adam Simpson WILL BE coach at Melbourne in a year's time. Then went on to suggest that they might employ Rocket for three years and engineer a transition to Simpson. All very confusing. Then, I'm not sure if it was Hutchy or Pickers, said what about keeping Craig on next year with Simpson in the wings? Hutchy's unequivocal statement seemed a little more unsure. Does anyone know why Simpson is being touted as a brilliant young coach? Where is he currently?

PS those guys are so self-aggrandising. They really get my hackles up.

Edited by btdemon

Hutchy on SEN this morning crapping on that Adam Simpson WILL BE coach at Melbourne in a year's time. Then went on to suggest that they might employ Rocket for three years and engineer a transition to Simpson. All very confusing. Then, I'm not sure if it was Hutchy or Pickers, said what about keeping Craig on next year with Simpson in the wings? Hutchy's unequivocal statement seemed a little more unsure. Does anyone know why Simpson is being touted as a brilliant young coach? Where is he currently?

PS those guys are so self-aggrandising. They really get my hackles up.

Hutchy said it hey, well that says it all really.

I spoke with Cameron Bruce recently who was extremely strong in his praise of Adam Simpson. I asked him about Brett Ratten whom he was also very positive about, however, his praise of Adam Simpson was very strong. I think that Adam Simpson has now moved into clear 1st place ahead of Scott Burns in the list of "untried" AFL coaches.

I think the Club would like an Adam Simpson or a Scott Burns to come through with a young list, it is just how they orchestrate a Senior Coach like an Eade, Williams or Craig to transition them.

I spoke with Cameron Bruce recently who was extremely strong in his praise of Adam Simpson. I asked him about Brett Ratten whom he was also very positive about, however, his praise of Adam Simpson was very strong. I think that Adam Simpson has now moved into clear 1st place ahead of Scott Burns in the list of "untried" AFL coaches.

I think the Club would like an Adam Simpson or a Scott Burns to come through with a young list, it is just how they orchestrate a Senior Coach like an Eade, Williams or Craig to transition them.

In that case it becomes about which of the three could develop players the best, i can't see Eade and Williams bothering if they aren't going to get a shot at success though

We spend about $9mill a year on players.

It's time we spent some on the best Coach we can get .

The Cheap new coach option will not work.

I'm hoping we get Roos still.

If not, we should get Eade or Chocko.

No more highly recommended tyros.

We need to be playing finals within two years to survive and get some continuity within the group and coaching staff.

• Like 1

I wanted Eade to coach us after Bailey was sacked. For some reason he was seen as old hat, but boy did he do well with the lists he had!

He is a coach that loves positive attacking football. Thought players like Liam Jurrah would flourish under a positive coach. Pity we had to waste 2 years on a dud and lose all that talent before appointing him.

I believe the statement that summed up Hutchy up pretty well was the (fake) tweet of his Sam displayed on the Footy Show:

'Dropped burger in dirt. Still good.'

Just reading on 'Inside Football' big headline DEMONS : GO GET LETHAL . It further says ' Clubs no longer fear the sight of the Demon Guernsey, and the trip to the MCG to play Melbourne no longer worries any side.'

It goes on to say 'Melbourne need to throw away their conservative tag and become ruthless in their approach like other successful sides.'

Later they say ' Poor Melbourne everybody is treating them like a bit of a joke.'

Sound familiar, the Inside football issue is dated July 13 1978.

Nothing much changes does it?

• Like 4

Just reading on 'Inside Football' big headline DEMONS : GO GET LETHAL . It further says ' Clubs no longer fear the sight of the Demon Guernsey, and the trip to the MCG to play Melbourne no longer worries any side.'It goes on to say 'Melbourne need to throw away their conservative tag and become ruthless in their approach like other successful sides.'Later they say ' Poor Melbourne everybody is treating them like a bit of a joke.'Sound familiar, the Inside football issue is dated July 13 1978.Nothing much changes does it?

That's the Inside Football that includes expert comment from Crackers Keenan does it not?