Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

What has me completely gobsmacked ( and I have said previously I have some sympathy for the players) - that 35 players were taken offsite to be injected and not one of the players questioned it ? Not one of them mentioned it to a parent and if they did why was there no concern from the parent ? Not one of them mentioned it to a manager and if they did why was there no concern from the manager ? That this happened with the absence of anyone thinking "this ain't kosher" is mind blowing to me.

I know someone who sees one the players regularly. The players did mention it and when question were told Hirdy, Corcoran and Reid had ticked it off. People trusted them and it's this breach of trust that is so sad.

Such is the trust once held for those involved in footy clubs. Let's face it, if Paul Roos and the club doctor said "we've double checked it and it's fine" would you have question it?

All this critique is being done in hindsight and mostly by people who have no idea of the complete trust that players and parents have in the club and in this case in a club doctor of the highest repute.

That trust has now of course been broken and those with limited knowledge and no understanding of a footy club environment will not understand why the players didn't realise something was wrong.

• Like 5

Rabid Bombers collegue believes that Essendon is pathfinding for AFL clubs and that all the clubs are behind the Bombers who if successful will forge a bright new future for the AFL outside of the WADA code. She thinks the Gold Coast will join the Bombers shortly in an aliance against the AFL and ASADA, not sure why?

Unbelievable that otherwise rational and intelligent people can be so convinced by the spin from Essendon.

It does nothing but convince me that that clubs culture is a cult like toxic mix of blind faith and stupidity. I cant help compare wth the commentary on the Demons tanking affair and how most supporters were outraged that the club was singled out but no one was dumb enough to belive that strings were not pulled to ensure we got the No 1 pick. I am still not sure what tanking is and am convinced the players that ran out tried to win on every occasion but I dont think the membership was blind to the reality.

Given the Bomber atitude I cant see them ever letting go and moving on. Regardless of the outcome today or the later ruling this will go on for a very lng time will cost the code and the cubs a significant amount of money. This could see the death of clubs like the Bulldogs and maybe us because potentially there will not be same money around in terms of television rights and sponsership going forward.

The AFL for all its attempts to control the fall out may well have failed and made the situation worse. Its easy in hindsight but maybe the best approach would have been to step back let ASADA do its thing and come in after the event. If that meant taking a premiership cup or two off the Bombers then so be it.

IF this saga removes $1 from any other club it will be an absolute disgrace.

IF any other club apart from Essendon folds i dare say there will be a riot at windy hill. I will join in.

I know someone who sees one the players regularly. The players did mention it and when question were told Hirdy, Corcoran and Reid had ticked it off. People trusted them and it's this breach of trust that is so sad.

Such is the trust once held for those involved in footy clubs. Let's face it, if Paul Roos and the club doctor said "we've double checked it and it's fine" would you have question it?

All this critique is being done in hindsight and mostly by people who have no idea of the complete trust that players and parents have in the club and in this case in a club doctor of the highest repute.

That trust has now of course been broken and those with limited knowledge and no understanding of a footy club environment will not understand why the players didn't realise something was wrong.

That's why I have vacillated so much on the player side of this issue. I have no problem with administrators and coaches being wiped from the face of the earth.

But the club has come to the players and said " the whole list is going to get supplement jabs" - the first strong thought you would have is - surely my club knows what the hell it is doing.

The code is clear is that is the players responsibility to know what they are taking so they will be punished but I just feel that the whole team and trust foundation that is the cornerstone of all clubs must be taken into account when punishing the players. They were duped. They know the code but players are taught to trust the club and the decisions it makes for the players.

• Like 1

So who told them this?

Then why are the players happy to still have Reid as the club Doctor? Why haven't they had him replaced?

• Like 3

That's why I have vacillated so much on the player side of this issue. I have no problem with administrators and coaches being wiped from the face of the earth.

But the club has come to the players and said " the whole list is going to get supplement jabs" - the first strong thought you would have is - surely my club knows what the hell it is doing.

The code is clear is that is the players responsibility to know what they are taking so they will be punished but I just feel that the whole team and trust foundation that is the cornerstone of all clubs must be taken into account when punishing the players. They were duped. They know the code but players are taught to trust the club and the decisions it makes for the players.

And we can't ignore the possibility that the club, the coach and the club doctor were also duped by Dank and Robinson. The club and the coaches have to take responsibility for that and, in effect, have done so by the penalties imposed by the AFL last year.

• Like 1

why do they not break ranks now?

• Like 2

Very interesting that the players don't want to be involved in the legal proceedings, unless the Show Cause Notices are enforced in the near future.

They don't want the stress, expense or loss of anonimity according to their Counsel.

So the proceeding ATM is being conducted by parties who haven't been given Notices by ASADA.

Not sure that the Court would be overly concerned with their interests.

• Like 2

why do they not break ranks now?

Because they're being Hirded in the wrong direction

• Like 3

Very interesting that the players don't want to be involved in the legal proceedings, unless the Show Cause Notices are enforced in the near future.

They don't want the stress, expense or loss of anonimity according to their Counsel.

So the proceeding ATM is being conducted by parties who haven't been given Notices by ASADA.

I reckon Gondorff and Hooker would be very impressed by the way Little and Hird operate :rolleyes:

Essendon yet to agree AFLPA health monitoring scheme

This the worst thing so far.

[Censored] disgusting.

These so called "people" at Essendon are below contempt. This cancer must be lanced.

Just on further example of their arrogance and delusion on this whole matter.

Interesting your choice of the word "lanced": should that have a capital as in "Lanced", which is possibly what has been done already, though they have lost / hidden the records.

And technical matter - boils are lanced, cancers should be excised and obliterated whenever possible.

Then why are the players happy to still have Reid as the club Doctor? Why haven't they had him replaced?

Why is Read still registered is more the question I ponder.

Edited by monoccular

And technical matter - boils are lanced, cancers should be excised and obliterated whenever possible.

whatever it takes !! :cool:

• Like 1

Why is Reid still registered is more the question I ponder.

I have asked this all along. It boggle my grey cells that he hasn't been struck off.

• Like 1

Some things with this whole saga that continue to make my head spin

1. Not one player nor administrator at Essendon know what was injected? Right or wrong?

2. Regardless of Asada and it's imperfections - Essendon and most of the AFL community continue to spew vitriol towards Asada and deflect blame of any degree away from Essendon.

3. Whilst I have some degree of sympathy towards the players - FFS!! These are people who measure and weigh their bloody food before they eat. This nonsense that the players are totally naive is utter rubbish.

Essendon and Hird have and I include Robbo in this have deliberately embarked on campaign to blame others for the Essendon self initiated drug mess.

Essendon led by chief bully Little now are trying to discredit everybody for what is and continue use to be the fault of only one group being Essendon.

The AFL is not a bloody sacred cow when it comes to doping in sport. We are looking like the laughing stock of the sporting world.

Someone needs to bring Little and his cohorts to account

I would not underestimate the level of angst against Essendon from most other clubs (except apparently, inexplicably the Dogs, in most other respects a very well respected and run club. Can I suggest peter gordon is trying to get into the legal gravy train which is Essendon and James Hird. His company, Slater & Gordon have totally missed out on this goldmine) almost universally of the view Essendon should take their medicine. At the end of the day the clubs control the AFL.

I didn't quite get that either. It sounded to me like the club and Hird are doing the fighting on behalf of the players.

My main concern is that if this case is awarded in ASADAs favour, can the players launch legal action for the same reason but as a new interested party?

I didn't quite get that either. It sounded to me like the club and Hird are doing the fighting on behalf of the players.

My main concern is that if this case is awarded in ASADAs favour, can the players launch legal action for the same reason but as a new interested party?

I , in my purely lay understanding , would think that when ( not if...lol ) ASADA get the nod then there's no real leg for any player to stand on to attempt the same. i.e..Asked and answered.

Edited by beelzebub

We{the medical science team }are going to INJECT YOU,upwards of 50 times in the gutz.

And not one player so far has had the balls{if still left} to stand up and say no thanks.

If one of my kids{all over 22yo}didnt ask questions,they would be footed up the clacker by their dad.

This whole saga stinks of no person in the club wants to accept the blame and stand up and admit yep i did it.

Weak,gutless rudderless group of people,players,coaching staff,medical staff and club directors and president.

• Like 3

The AFL for all its attempts to control the fall out may well have failed and made the situation worse. Its easy in hindsight but maybe the best approach would have been to step back let ASADA do its thing and come in after the event. If that meant taking a premiership cup or two off the Bombers then so be it.

I have more of a problem with the AFL than Essendon. Why? There will always be cheats around. It might be Essendon today, someone else tomorrow, but de-personalise it and you'll realise there will always be someone,

The AFL can complain all they like about being politically forced into using WADA - there were enough people around at the time WADA was chosen to raise concerns and they were ignored.

I agree the AFL should have kept out of it - you can thank the egotistical AD for not doing so. Had he not go so involved and the AFL not played the media war with Hird .. I can't help but believe the course of events would not be where they are now. By playing the dirty media game, they brought the game down, just like Hird did.

AD did everything that he could not to end up in the stand in a court of law and in the end will still end up there. Even if Essendon are playing the 'legal technicality' game, it's not as bad as someone that goes out of their way to avoid the law of the land like AD has. It simply would have been far better for everyone if this had been dealt with in the courts last year and everyone could have moved on.

Even if Essendon lose the first battle in court, it looks to be a chance in hell of actually coming up with enough evidence to link the chain of suppliers to convict them. I wish they could be convicted, but there have been clowns running the investigation from the beginning.

Im actually surprised in a fashion that Essendon would want this anywhere near a court of law. They're really playing fine and cute with all this and its only a matter of time before it blows up in their face.

Still much to play out in this, besides the notices that is. They I suspect now are a given since no ones had the common sense to capitulate. You have to pick your battles and the players have chosen poorly...again.

What is James Hird studying anyway?

Does anyone know...If this is just an AFL junket to hide the man i as a paid up MCC/MFC member will be mighty pizzed if the supporter is indirectly paying for this.

FFS He was the head coach through ALL THIS.

i have never seen a legal case like this.

The mini series is just growing bigger each day.

Face the music Turd.