Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Given the EFC situation is unprecedented and the flow on impact any player infractions will have on the club I would think ASADA and WADA would largely allow the AFL to apply club sanctions that do not further damage the league. I could not see WADA stepping in to ban the entire club from the competition.

Armstorngs team was banned for 10 years

The team context is quite different though. An 'appropriate sanction' could not be one that causes a club with more than 100 years history to fold and has massive flow on impacts to the league.

The impact of Lance's team being banned on cycling is pretty negligible, e.g. another team would simply fill lances reams place, compared to losing a 100 year old team in an 18 team league which requires 18 teams for its primary revenue source.

The team context is quite different though. An 'appropriate sanction' could not be one that causes a club with more than 100 years history to fold and has massive flow on impacts to the league.

The impact of Lance's team being banned on cycling is pretty negligible, e.g. another team would simply fill lances reams place, compared to losing a 100 year old team in an 18 team league which requires 18 teams for its primary revenue source.

and why should ASADA/WADA really care. Lady Justice is blind

The potential threat of being deregistered in the event of two players being suspended would be likely to give EFC standing in its current action in the Federal Court. I doubt the same applies to Hird

Maybe all these idiots ought to read the fine print...or at least be bothered to understand that there are repercussions for being fwits

Lady Justice is blind

Actually the statue of Justice at Victoria's Supreme court is not blindfolded which is the only one in the world except the Old Bailey.

Its meant to show that Justice is not blind.

Having said that, the guy who hanged the Ballarat rebellers and didnt allow Ned Kelly to have a defence is celebrated with a statue in front of the Melbourne library.

I prefer the statue of St George killing the dragon just near it. Probably closer to the truth than Redmond Barry's good deeds or that Justice may not being blind.

• Like 3

Actually the statue of Justice at Victoria's Supreme court is not blindfolded which is the only one in the world except the Old Bailey.

Having said that, the guy who hanged the Ballarat rebellers and didnt allow Ned Kelly to have a defence is celebrated with a statue in front of the Melbourne library.

I prefer the statue of St George killing the dragon just near it. Probably closer to the truth than Redmond Barry's good deeds or that Justice may not being blind.

love trivia like this :)

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-21/dons-stand-by-deal-claim

I feel this is starting to piece together. Essendon believe they were given a hall pass by ASADA last February, this their arrogance for the past 18 months.

From what I saw of the "email trail" last week it appears that Essendon has inferred that being of assistance early in the piece automatically counts as "assistance" and that the self reporting and "we didn't know" was enough to count as "no fault or negligence".

It would be interesting to see if the emails explained both "no fault" and "no significant fault".

The email published certainly said players "can" not "will", and unless that is written elsewhere I imagine the players won't have a leg to stand on.

• Like 3

I am just staggered that Peter Gordon, who should know his law rules has even said this...!

Since when did litigation lawyers actually care about the truth, rather than the result?

• Like 1

and the AFL hasnt had a hand in anything :rolleyes::unsure:

tangled web and such

No, there was no team ban, only individual bans. Only Armstrong, Brunel (director) and a couple of the medical staff got long bans. Riders and ex-riders on the Armstrong teams (mainly US Postal), had 6 months bans because they spilled the beans.

There have been cases in cycling where race organisers have refused to accept teams with a record of doping offences, but they're not official WADA or UCI bans, and are commercial as much as anything.

The email published certainly said players "can" not "will", and unless that is written elsewhere I imagine the players won't have a leg to stand on.

The thing that stagers me in all this is that it's not even ASADA who give/set the bans - as even a cursory reading of the rules will have shown. So how could the whole Essendon hierarchy have ever believed in some kind of get out of jail free card? Didn't anyone there ever go through the WADA rules and processes?

Is there any truth in the rumour that Essendon are going to hire Murilitharan as the new spin coach?

....with "dubious actions" :-)

Is there any truth in the rumour that Essendon are going to hire Murilitharan as the new spin coach?

No need as they already have Robbo, Whateley, Connolly and Chip Le Grand tweaking out stories on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Don't think Barry handed out any death penalties for Eureka; they were acquitted. He was a bit rough on Ned, though, I agree. He did help found Melbourne Uni though, and would doubtless be turning in his grave if he could see what the Tea Party creeps in charge of the country right now are doing it.

I would have thought his legal team would be wanting Mr little to keep quiet, every stupid comment he makes hurts their case

Now they're insulting the Giants -

Essendon could be another GWS: Tuddenham

And if you really want a laugh, cop this from Robbo at his delusional best -

https://m.soundcloud.com/sen1116/crunch-time-essendon-1

He believes the Essendon mother who rang talk back radio to express her concerns about her son was a fake (this was later disputed by Eddie who says he spoke with the mother for half an hour before he put her on air and is convinced she's the real thing).

Robbo mentions the word "propaganda" and I agree there's been an awful lot of that going around but most of it emanates from the Essendon camp. Given that he released the names of some of the Essendon players said to be involved he's got a real hide complaining like a stuck pig about their treatment.

Amazing how the players had "no idea" they were being injected with anything illegal, yet one player took a stand and refused to be injected by unlabeled drugs at an off site sports performance clinic.

Yeah, the players had "no idea" something dodgy was going on there.

Gotta love revisionist history.

• Like 2

Oh please Mr. Little. Try pulling the other leg.

Bombers thought there was a deal with ASADA says chairman Paul Little

That chain of emails does nothing other than detail what the WADA code says about how players can get a reduction in penalty if they co-operate.

This is sheer desperation and delusional behaviour.

Ahhh those chain emails... they'll get you

'Send this email on to 10 of your friends or you wont get an ASADA deal!'

Clearly The Weapon dropped the ball and only sent it to 9!

• Like 1

In an unprecedented move, the Federal Court has allowed the directions hearing to be broadcast live on ABC television.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/email-questions-what-peptides-bombers-were-given-before-consent-forms-20140621-zsh8k.html#ixzz35Jo2EMpD

Well the Federal Court Judge is certainly wanting to allow the broad public direct access to the proceeding, so that it can see what goes down.

I must say that like so many others I am getting sick of this whole episode. I really don't care anymore if the players are given short suspensions or none at all. Basically they have been misled by people they trusted and who effectively ruled them. They now have far more serious issues to be concerned about, their health. That is far more serious than any suspension.

As I have said before I find the behaviour of Essendon Officials both during and after the scandal disgraceful. To reappoint Hird on the day of the AFL penalties was disgusting. To have the Doctor who allowed this to happen to still be in charge of the player's health is more disgusting. He should be ashamed of his behaviour in this scandal.

I am at the stage where I feel you can let the players off and ban the Board and the officials from AFL involvement.

I would stand and applaud the banning of the Essendon Board and Officials involved who to this very moment argue that the players were not given anything banned or a danger to player's health yet admit in the same breath they don't know what was administered. How do they sleep at night? Shameful and disgusting. I wish every player involved sues the club.

PS. Chris Connolly has effectively been given a lifetime ban from AFL football for doing what many other AFL clubs and officials including Demetriou said was ok. He didn't put any player's health at risk. He alone was singled out of all the AFL club officials who agreed with the process and did the same for their clubs and were rewarded with top players and was martyred. He took his punishment and said nothing. No Court. No smearing the AFL. No journos speaking out about him. Isolated and the fall guy. The late Coach also copping a short suspension but then allowed back into the game. No finding of any guilt other than telling a joke about tanking

• Like 4