Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

i think we should all pause and reflect on the EFC for a moment in their hour of need.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahsuffer in your jocks

• Like 1

I'm not certain of this so please correct me if i'm wrong but does a certain amount of infraction notices within one team result in a years de-registration, i believe someone told me at one point if there was 10 or more the club would be de-registered for 12 months

i dont know about deregistered but the team faces penalties after a total of 2 members are found guilty of doping.

This also shows you how insidious the spin is that's coming from the Bombers who until recently were claiming the players weren't affected at all by the media hype and the controversy in general. Suddenly, there's been a 180 degree turn and they're telling us the players are mental wrecks because of the delays caused in finalising the ASADA report.

Now they're complaining that the show cause was issued on the eve of the season.

Perhaps they should have waited another month or so?

its not essendons fault they are mental wrecks, its ASADA's, Duuurrrrrrrrrr

As I said in my first post yesterday I don't give a flying fox about the legalities. It may well be that under the rules/laws that exist the players are in breach. That doesn't address my concerns.

I understand you've made a living in law and the principles of law are something you will respect and live by. I'm not burdened with that legacy and I see the law as an ass. So often we get inequitable results because it's not possible for the law to anticipate all situations. This is one such case.

I start from the premise that the players didn't knowingly take banned drugs. If they did then throw the book at them. They are professional footballers and are expected and trained to be professional in the way they play. They rely on professional trainers, coaches, physiotherapists, doctors, administrators and so on and so forth to ply their trade.

They have been given a cocktail of substances which can't or won't be identified. They may or may not have had their lives put at risk. They may suffer minor, major or terminal health problems as a result. Those problems may surface in the short or long term. They will unquestionably suffer the stress of wondering what those health problems may be and they will live with that stress for a very long time (hopefully). They placed their trust in people who were responsible for them. They were duped.

You are welcome to explore the legalities of the situation and follow the intellectual demands of the law. All common sense says these kids have suffered enough.

And if they haven't suffered? If they knew what they were taking and accepted that an official or officials would take the blame. If the club told them what they had been given then destroyed the records?

All these crocodile tears for professional athletes, please.

My son's, similar ages to the EFC's younger brigade, check the ingredients on a new can of soft drink. If they don't recognise an ingredient they google it. They are not pro athletes just concerned at what goes into their bodies.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Well the last time I looked it wasn't. Ignorance or turning a blind eye to whatever some quack wants to inject into you is stupid and that alone deserves some punishment.

If they had an advantage, perceived or otherwise or sought advantage through a discredited program, they should throw the book at them. EFC should be financially responsible to all players for the natural term of their careers plus all health costs into the future. A fund should be put aside by the EFC to cover potential future issues, child defects etc. This fund should never have proceeds return to the EFC.

But the players must be penalised or in reality the EFC got away with it.

The only alternative is to disband the EFC permanently and spread the players around. This would mitigate any ongoing advantage and dissipate the pain. And that my friends will never happen. Put that to the members of the EFC , disband or penalise players, I think the players would be thrown to the sharks.

• Like 1

My son's, similar ages to the EFC's younger brigade, check the ingredients on a new can of soft drink. If they don't recognise an ingredient they google it. They are not pro athletes just concerned at what goes into their bodies.

funny you say that.my son over 30,stood in the supermarket one day and was reading the ingredients of the back of something.

me being old fashioned said "hurry up gonza"lets get out of here,and what are you reading anyway.

was so surprised to meet his woman and their friends who ALL were concious of everything they ate and made big steps to ensure all was good.

AFL players have dieticians.health food nuts,pinko lesso greenies and all sorts of doctors to help them.

not one of them asked the major question.

"you want me to have 50 injections in the gutz"

amazing.

Essendon official, "Freedom, complete pardon" ASADA "I don't think so, take a cross and wait".

Ok i am a bit of a sadist so i went over to bomber blitz to see how they are coping etc,

I have read a lot of posts today and i feel sorry for any of the supporters there that have two feet on the ground. Some of them have suggested things along the line of the club might be in trouble. Its not going to be swept under the carpet etc and have been crucified..

Lucky they arnt in the same room or they would have eaten each other.

"One Cross each please....over the left shoulder"

"Crucifixtion?"....

He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty boy!

• Like 1

Hird takes off overseas when things are getting interesting. Now that's interesting.

To live on an island? Hope he took his cross with him.

BB has said he knows one of the Bombers player's family and has heard of the distress this saga has caused them all. I was thinking of that and I just can't help but feel utter disgust for the behaviour of the club Doctor during and after this saga.

Additionally the fact that he is back there, is a disgusting reflection on this club's administration.

Imagine being a player involved and having as your club Doctor, a bloke, who let you be injected regularly in the stomach, with substances that may be harmful and illegal. You would feel like dropping him.

I said from the beginning im amazed he still has[censored].

Shows who's interest these orgd really have at heart.

Edited by Whispering_Jack
sorry but you can't say that!

The latest - John Fahey says AFL drug notices coming

The World Anti-Doping Agency's former president, John Fahey, says he believes there is now "sufficient information" for infraction notices to be issued "against a number of people" involved in Essendon's 2011-12 supplements program.

Mr Fahey said he had no issue with highly sensitive information being shared between the AFL and ASADA in last year's joint investigation into Essendon between the bodies. However he said it was not helpful to ASADA that a written update requested by the AFL that was delivered last August was labeled the interim "ASADA report".

"It wasn't," Fahey said. "It was a document for AFL use only under their code of conduct as I understand it."

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of this when I mentioned Raelene Boyle in previous posts but she spoke at an Australia Day function in the Long Room (not far from where 650 of the Demon faithful sat last night) and this quote from the March edition of the MCC News @ page 17 sums up nicely the moral dilemma raised by sport's drug cheats:-

Raelene's address covered sport in highs and personal lows in equal measure. She didn't dwell on brilliant track career (three Olympic silver medals, seven Commonwealth gold) but noted that sport had allowed her to make decisions about her life, mostly good decisions.

By contrast the drug cheat who beat her in both the 100 and 200 metre events at Munich in 1972 didn't make good decisions.

"Renate Stecher allowed herself to be dragged into drug-taking that was part of the East German coaching regime at the time. I've seen the records." said Raelene.

"I was lucky to be born an Aussie and while Renate cuddles her gold medals in a miserable flat in Berlin, I open the curtains and look out over the Sunshine Coast from my home in Buderim, doing whatever I like and living in the greatest country on Earth."

I can't feel sorry for a bunch of professional sportsmen who willingly signed a document which effectively gave their club authority to inject substances into their bodies whose purpose was to enhance their performance. That they didn't know what they were being given, that they were duped by professionals or that some scientist claims he was told by someone else that the drugs administered were fine (a fact about which he says he has no documentary proof) might in some circumstances be a mitigating factor in terms of penalty but it doesn't make things right or absolve them of responsibility or guilt.

The two articles quoted above (particularly the ranting of Dank's legal counsel) serve to further convince me that there is a great deal of pain ahead for Essendon, several of its officials and employees past and present and a number of its players.

Which is bad news for the AFL, the football community and sadly, for the sport we follow.

• Like 3

I was pinched once for speeding in a built up area where the limit was 50kph. I thought the limit was 60 but I hadn't noticed the new speed signs they put up. My driving instructor never told me they could change speed limits by putting up new signs that I might not necessarly be looking for. So can I sue him?

I was pinched once for speeding in a built up area where the limit was 50kph. I thought the limit was 60 but I hadn't noticed the new speed signs they put up. My driving instructor never told me they could change speed limits by putting up new signs that I might not necessarly be looking for. So can I sue him?

Yes, but only if you're an Essendon player or supporter.

The noose tightens -

Asked about Jobe Watson's comments on television last year when Essendon's Brownlow medallist captain said he believed he was given AOD-9604 in the supplements program, but had been assured it was legal, Mr Fahey declined to discuss individuals.

The status of anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 has been widely debated, but WADA's position is fixed. "I have absolutely no doubt that it's a banned substance", Mr Fahey said.

and

WADA Statement:

AOD-9604 is a substance still under pre-clinical and clinical development and has not been approved for therapeutic use by any government health authority in the world.

Therefore, under the 2013 Prohibited Substances and Methods List, the substance falls into the S.0 category ...

Coming up ... game, set, match.

Gold Coast Suns now thrown under a bus - Gold Coast Suns on notice in ASADA inquiry

Sounds like this could easily have come straight out of the

Bomber propaganda machine.

What I found most interesting was these quotes from Dank's lawyer:

Dank’s lawyer, Greg Stanton, said if any charges were eventually laid, his client would challenge ASADA’s jurisdiction and the scientific basis for including peptides such as CJC1295, SARMS and Thymosin Beta-4 on a banned list.

“When and if it ever gets to a properly convened tribunal, there is a fundamental issue as to whether these substances should have ever been banned according to the relevant science in the first place,” Stanton said.

“One of our ultimate goals is, and we are gathering science at this point in time, is to demonstrate that these substances should have never been banned.”

They must be desperate if they think they can get anywhere going down the path of arguing the science.

Even if they could produce the necessary expertise, surely WADA has to work on the assumption that if a 'supplement' is not part of ordinary nutrition and they ban it, it is banned. Even if it turns out after many years of research that the 'supplement' is totally ineffective at improving performance.

Hahahahaha that's the equivalent of muesli being banned(it doesnt matter why, its banned), dank feeding it to everyone and then trying to get off because he thinks it shouldn't be banned.

Hahahahaha aaahahahahahaha omg aaahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1