Worst season ever?

DoreenDee

Grew up in Sandringham & Black Rock DoF....Great time to be there...The old art deco Clock tower still lives!!!

Wow. I remember when that tower was built .......... always a different time of day depending on which clock face you looked at! I haven't been down that way for maybe 25 years. How about my other old watering hole, the Red Bluff Hotel? .........still a pub or (more likely) an apartment tower by now I guess.

The year prior to Barrassi's return as coach was pretty dismal. Dennis jones was installed as coach and given no support. It was very clear that he was filling the chair until the "Bring back Barrass" process was complete. I went every week in those days just to watch Robbie and hope vainly for the odd win. Following the Dees has been a strange masochistic pastime for way too long.

Wow. I remember when that tower was built .......... always a different time of day depending on which clock face you looked at! I haven't been down that way for maybe 25 years. How about my other old watering hole, the Red Bluff Hotel? .........still a pub or (more likely) an apartment tower by now I guess.

You got it...thye Red Bluff was retired a long time back...i still miss the steaks you could get down there...Brilliant.

Grew up in Sandringham & Black Rock DoF....Great time to be there...The old art deco Clock tower still lives!!!

That clock is a Fkn disgrace and an eyesore.

They wont rip it down yet they rogered the Hampton and The Red Bluff to make apartments.

Jack Watts is a Sandy kid I think-I saw him getting into his car near there-unless he was just beating someone up in a house visit.

I went to see the Dees play the Bombers in 1980 (I think) when Ditterich was coach - we flogged them and sung "bye bye bombers bye bye" to the tune of Come on Aussie come on.. A mate of mine's brother-in-law named Bluey Seaton was playing on the wing for the Dees and we got to go in the club rooms before and after the game. Ditterich was a very scary individual, Flower was playing, Hardeman... but we were still basically a poor, poor team.

But 2013 has no Flower, Hardeman or Ditterich. No Ray Biffin or Rod Grinter to liven up boring moments.

I think this team is far worse than 1981.

We are about to get smashed in consecutive weeks by the new franchaise teams.

It totally sucks

Whiteboard Wednesday......remember!!

And in 1981 we had the bait that Barassi's way would start to cut it in '82 or '83. We don't have anything like that now.

This is the worst for me.

That clock is a Fkn disgrace and an eyesore.

They wont rip it down yet they rogered the Hampton and The Red Bluff to make apartments.

Jack Watts is a Sandy kid I think-I saw him getting into his car near there-unless he was just beating someone up in a house visit.

Ditto the clock.

Ditto your sentiments on coastal pubs - the Bluff, the Hampton and Khyatts in Brighton - a 19th century job also gone to apartments.

Our old sparring partner and alleged Demon supporter Ron Walker was behind the trashing of the Red Bluff btw.

Actually, btdemon Carl Ditterich coached in between Jones and Barassi. None of them were particularly impressive as coaches.

Yes you're right. Was that the year when we won quite a few games until Carl was injured about half way through the season and lost everything from then on? Or was that in his earlier stint at the Dees? Showed what an intimidating physical presence he had. I also remember his last game which a lot of people turned up for. it was against Collingwood and he was reported three times (from memory). Harry Beitzel referred to the reports in his post match interview and Carl just laughed. Harry promptly admonished him and told him that it wasn't funny. Carl sheepishly acknowledged that "no it wasn't funny". - Priceless

• Like 2

loved seeing big Carl in the Red and Blue. He literally scared some opposition players shltless lol.

You didnt mess with Carl....or his headband :)

loved seeing big Carl in the Red and Blue. He literally scared some opposition players shltless lol.

I remember his disgraceful last game. While Collingwood was kicking goals, he and other were collecting heads. Nothing to be proud of.

I remember his disgraceful last game. While Collingwood was kicking goals, he and other were collecting heads. Nothing to be proud of.

A capt at two clubs a best and fairest winner at two clubs. He wasnt all hack. Team mates stood taller around him and he wouldn't take carp from anyone. Would ferociously defend his underlings. Not always an angel i admit but clipping the wings of magpies !!! now surely Thats ok !!! lol

.......... and more than a few Melbourne players (and staff) I reckon.

• Like 1

A capt at two clubs a best and fairest winner at two clubs. He wasnt all hack. Team mates stood taller around him and he wouldn't take carp from anyone. Would ferociously defend his underlings. Not always an angel i admit but clipping the wings of magpies !!! now surely Thats ok !!! lol

Never a hack but never should have been coaching. NFI in that regard.

Ditta (as we called Carl) was my social studies teacher up in Swan Hill. He was one bloke who never raised his voice and to be honest wasn't the most awesome class room manager but I will say, his rep. proceeded him. He was incredibly laid back but everyone knew what kind of footballer he was, so they never pushed him too far. I always liked him.
As for this year, this has been the most pathetic year I can remember. 1997 was pretty average BUT we always knew that things were going to get better. Tossers were saying we were 'worse than Fitzroy' back then but I always knew that G. Lyon, Tingay, G. Lovett and the Ox were all out at that stage. If those blokes came back, and some new blood came in, I always knew we could be something. This year, I just can't see who can come back and instantly spark us. Mitch Clark might help but he isn't a miracle worker.

Edited by Guest

It was 1981. And I beg to differ.

That year we had a percentage of 63 at year's end compared to our current 53.

Also, we had players of the calibre of Flower, Gary Baker, Laurie Fowler, Gerard Healy, Peter Giles, Steve Smith, Cameron Clayton, and even other players past their best, or no world beaters in Crosswell, Pinnell, Michael Byrne, Kelly O'Donnell, Zantuck and Craig Hutchison. We even had Jacko kicking goals.

This year is EASILY the worst that the MFC has ever had.

This year by a country mile both on and off the field. A disaster that makes 1981, 1979 and 1996/97 look like picnics in the park.

• Like 1

Worst season in the past 20 years for mine anyway.

But our list is in better shape than it has been in the past:)

Surely you jest it is terrible.

There are 15 players on our list that are at best VFL standard.

Good grief have you noticed the results over the last two years?

Ditta (as we called Carl) was my social studies teacher up in Swan Hill. He was one bloke who never raised his voice and to be honest wasn't the most awesome class room manager but I will say, his rep. proceeded him. He was incredibly laid back but everyone knew what kind of footballer he was, so they never pushed him too far. I always liked him.

As for this year, this has been the most pathetic year I can remember. 1997 was pretty average BUT we always knew that things were going to get better. Tossers were saying we were 'worse than Fitzroy' back then but I always knew that G. Lyon, Tingay, G. Lovett and the Ox were all out at that stage. If those blokes came back, and some new blood came in, I always knew we could be something. This year, I just can't see who can come back and instantly spark us. Mitch Clark might help but he isn't a miracle worker.

What year was that CBF?

Edited by Bitter but optimistic

Sorry to bring the board down with more negative topics but I was just curious as to what has been our worst season on record? Is it this year being that we look like winning 2 games out of 23 played? I honestly stopped investing as much (emotionally, unfortunately not financially!) as I usually do quite a few rounds ago, but I'm just hoping that if this is as low as it get's then all is not lost and as they say it's always darkest just before the dawn. So if this is rock bottom then everyone should climb back on and enjoy the ride back up.

I can go back a bit further to 1951. We won just one game with a % of 70.5. BUT we beat CARLTON!!!!!! Also, fellow sufferers, think what happened just 3 years later when we made the GF. Let us fervently hope!

This is by far the worst season that I can recall, and like many on this forum, I've sat through some rubbish over the years. What makes 2013 worse than other low performing years is the sense of hopelessness that has surrounded it. The rebuild of the rebuild failed. Neeld was a disaster and took us backwards at an unprecedented rate. Our administration has been horrific. And although we've now got Peter Jackson in place, there is so much uncertainty surrounding the future. No coach, head of footy, president, back of jumper sponsor...and midfield. Everywhere you look there are major problems. What makes it even worse is that we've become a laughing stock. A smug business reporter in the Herald Sun during the week even used us as her punch line. For crying out loud, this is the Melbourne Football Club! We need to start commanding respect again, on and off the field. We're a long way from that right now.

To the footy gods, please let the tide turn in 2014. The weary Demonland faithful deserve a break!

Edited by Swooper Northey