Worst season ever?

DoreenDee

1919 would be our the worst season. 16 games played Wins = 0 43%

I can safely say I wasnt around back then, but perhaps WJ can shed some light on some of our performances he watched that year.

I cant remember any team playing as insipid as this current lot.

Old Dee was in the back pocket.

• Like 3

old-footballer.jpg

Old Dee was in the back pocket. Photo of his debut game in 1919.

This explains a lot No run out of the backline. Also may explain why these days he suffers from having a stiff neck. due to watching the ball continuously going over his head.

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 2

I have followed the MFC since 1959 .

I have been to a very large number of games since the late 60s.

During that period we have had some very poor teams.

Now perhaps due the passage of time I may have forgotten how bad I felt in the seventies.

But in our worst times there were a number of games every year that I felt

We had a good chance of winning, in a lot of games we were in the game until into the last quarter before we got run over.

There was also a couple of players that we worth going to see because they were the equal of the leagues best

Eg Robert Flower.

2013 has not given me any feeling that we are capable of winning a game. In fact 90% of games are over at quarter time.

We also have no player that I would put in the top 50 players.

There is no Robert Flower equivalent in the 2013 team.

This without doubt in my mind is the worst MFC team I have seen by a fair margin.

• Like 2

Biff I would loved to have been good enough to make the back pocket for the MFC in our worst year.

Oh to be that good.

Blame it on the mustard gas-bloody huns!

Now perhaps due the passage of time I may have forgotten how bad I felt in the seventies.

We had a good chance of winning, in a lot of games we were in the game until into the last quarter before we got run over.

There was also a couple of players that we worth going to see because they were the equal of the leagues best

Eg Robert Flower.

2013 has not given me any feeling that we are capable of winning a game. In fact 90% of games are over at quarter time.

This without doubt in my mind is the worst MFC team I have seen by a fair margin.

This answers my question. Not the answer I really wanted to hear but an answer most people probably would expect.

Eg Robert Flower.

I'm with you OD. It's one thing to get beaten but another altogether to be beaten the way we have been over the last couple of years. In the 70's and 80's we at least had some players who would make the opposition earn their victories. Today we have a band of soft-shelled crabs who surrender meekly at the first sign of pressure.

This fills me with optimism though - because we can only get better. And, if we don't, we'll collapse totally and then we won't have to worry about it any more. See, there's always an up-side.

Go Dees!

So many lowlights. We Melbourne supporters are spoiled by choices.

How quickly you forget our Night Premiership in the late 80's.

I remember a year we were nearly as bad. We won only one game (excluding expansion teams) and we were constantly on the end of pummelling after pummelling. The year was 2012, but still, this year eclipses it. The beatings have become more ferocious and even the new boys are much better teams than us.

• Like 1

It's why the AFL stepped in...& it's why i will always be disgusted at the way the last President CEO and "Football Manager" were able to leave the club in relative silence.

The sheer wastage of members money should never be forgiven or forgotten...

I'm with you OD. It's one thing to get beaten but another altogether to be beaten the way we have been over the last couple of years. In the 70's and 80's we at least had some players who would make the opposition earn their victories. Today we have a band of soft-shelled crabs who surrender meekly at the first sign of pressure.

This fills me with optimism though - because we can only get better. And, if we don't, we'll collapse totally and then we won't have to worry about it any more. See, there's always an up-side.

Go Dees!

I never thought I would say or even think this Reverend But the total collapse of the MFC is not by a long shot the worst think that could happen to me in the next few years.

It would solve a lot of problems that right now seem way to hard to resolve.

1981 and 2013 were similar in that most of us were full of hope at the the start of the year, and destitute before year's end. But that's where the similarity ends in my view.

• In 1981 we had 'the Messiah' as our new coach, and most believed that a return to the heady days of the 1950s and '60s was imminent. We had been told by the man himself that it was a "five year plan" and we believed every word. We still had hope in spades.
  • In 2013 we have had Mark Neeld and a stand-in coach, and even our most fervent supporters know that we are light-years away from being competitive with the best. Most of us are still looking for hope, or pinning what little we have left on an un-named coach, a handful mostly tryers, a CEO who has been with us for a few short months and some untried youngsters.

I've been a Demon from the early 1950s and will be until I draw my last breath, but 2013 has come close to breaking me.

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 3

1981 and 2013 were similar in that most of us were full of hope at the the start of the year, and destitute before year's end. But that's where the similarity ends in my view.

• In 1981 we had 'the Messiah' as our new coach, and most believed that a return to the heady days of the 1950s and '60s was imminent. We had been told by the man himself that it was a "five year plan" and we believed every word. We still had hope in spades.
  • In 2013 we have had Mark Neeld and a stand-in coach, and even our most fervent supporters know that we are light-years away from being competitive with the best. Most of us are still looking for hope, or pinning what little we have left on an un-named coach, a handful mostly tryers, a CEO who has been with us for a few short months and some untried youngsters.

I've been a Demon from the early 1950s and will be until I draw my last breath, but 2013 has come close to breaking me.

I really respect people who have been commited to the cause for such a long time and still stick with it, having only really been an MFC supporter since the mid nineties and a tragic since the 00 season I have experienced a few high's but more low's and I've often wondered how people can go through so much over such long periods. I think my OP wasn't just wanting to know if this has been the worst season on record/ statistically or in people's opinions but also wanting to know how you guy's can do it for so long. I think from most of the post's I have read that the answer is 'hope' and the belief that things can only get better, there is a lot of pessimistic post's and negative things said on this site in the heat of the moment, yet all these people keep on coming back for more which you have to a) admire and b) think how crazy and commited they are, but seeing people who have been through this all for twice as long (and more..) than I have has really helped me to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope, belief and a little bit of crazy. Cheers guys.

• Like 1

I can only but agree with O D and DOF

. Back in other eras when we were deplorable there were elements to hang your hope on. Even losses and there were many would include glimmers of real effort and some classy football.

No such consolatory moments seem to occur any more.

Ive found the only way to survive this malaise is to become somewhat disassociated to it all.

Almost a case of not really caring whatsoever happening for to do so only invites depression and contempt.

Like others Ive toyed with giving this lot away. Tbh if my membership wasnt a tick over direct debit id be sorely tempted to not bother.

I will thank the Mfc for one thing ; allowing me to rediscover the many other things I enjoy. :)

One half arsed Premiership in 48 years is not exactly the stuff of excitement Biff.

What about the half-arsed Night (Consolation) Flag in 1971.

The Lake Oval under lights with a vague whiff of said body of water and a slightly vaguer whiff of some rotting seaweed at Port Melbourne.

Those were the days.

Some further research indicates that the trophy, as The 1971 Heinz VFL Night Premiership, hardly sounded half-arsed at all.

Edited by CHAMP
  • Like 1

and yet life goes on.

I will remain a Melbourne Supporter hoping for better times as I alway hve a soft spot for the under dogs.

To be truthful I never expect when I became a Melbourne Supporter in 1999 that things would be easy.

Yes life hard now but it could all be so much worse, we could be Collingwood or Fremantle Supporter!

Thinking on that last thought, I am glad I support Melbourne so Truck the rest of the Clubs, we are coming for you in 2014!

What about the half-arsed Night (Consolation) Flag in 1971.

The Lake Oval under lights with a vague whiff of said body of water and a slightly vaguer whiff of some rotting seaweed at Port Melbourne.

Those were the days.

I remember listening to that with the National Panasonic wireless under the pillow as a kiddie!!!

1971 started so well....42 years later i/we still wait for the 13th..who would have thunk it!!

• Like 2