The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

I know of one bloke who's only serious about politics. Happens to be a supporter of the coalition but the same story could be told of Labor supporters.

Anyway, from the day that Kevin '07 was elected back in 2007 he was a trenchant critic of the government. For six years all I heard from him was "pink batts", "carbon tax" and "Craig Thomson". Then on 18 September this year the public voted in a new government and ever since, this bloke has been running around, beating his chest and telling everybody about what a genius he is.

If I start today and bag the coalition every day of the week for 3, 6 or 9 years, then one day, I'll be a genius too.

Funny how politics and footy are similar.

Only difference is, he was right and you'd be wrong.

You're right though some folk on here just cannot bear to be wrong and spend most of their time either proving they are right, or showing someone else they were wrong.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see the pettiness of a poster dredging up a 2 year old post from a poster they disagree with just to show that poster they know they are wrong. Who cares, we've all made stupid calls during our time and as Ben said earlier, you can change your mind.

Politics shouldn't be the same. The fact that so many Australians approach politics with the blind emotional allegiance that sports supporters feel for their sports team instead of thinking about policy and the good of the country I one of the biggest things that annoys me about Australia.

we used to play a game on a one eyed party man at work. We'd tell him a policy of the party he hated and say it was his parry's policy. He'd tell us how astute it was until we told him it was the other party and then without realizing how much of a blind ignoramus it made him look he'd suddenly tell us how bad the policy was. Lets not let unbiased considered thought get in the way of our party allegiance...

Thanks. I just remembered that we had a General Discussion board that I haven't visited for ages so I wandered over there with the full intention of playing that game with the posters over there. You won't believe it but I found this thread called "Tony Abbott is an international embarrassment" and blow me down. They've been playing your game for months. Some of BH's best work's in there.

Who needs footy politics when you can have the real thing?

• Like 4

Politics shouldn't be the same. The fact that so many Australians approach politics with the blind emotional allegiance that sports supporters feel for their sports team instead of thinking about policy and the good of the country I one of the biggest things that annoys me about Australia.

we used to play a game on a one eyed party man at work. We'd tell him a policy of the party he hated and say it was his parry's policy. He'd tell us how astute it was until we told him it was the other party and then without realizing how much of a blind ignoramus it made him look he'd suddenly tell us how bad the policy was. Lets not let unbiased considered thought get in the way of our party allegiance...

Couldn't agree more 'Norm', this idea of sides in politics is beyond belief in fact it's a disgrace.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more 'Norm', this idea of sides in politics is beyond belief in fact it's a disgrace.

You don't agree with party politics? I actually like the idea of groups of people coming together in teams and putting away some differences for the sake of the overall ideal. At heart the Labor party is a beautiful idea, it's mandate is to protect the working class and marginalized and make sure social supports are strong. Same with the conservatives who's main idea is to keep the government unobtrusive with lower taxes to encourage growth and personal opportunity.

Ideally the election cycles should swing from "they took all our money and haven't spent it on enough good" after a Labor government and then "the economy may be strong but their isn't enough government help for services and the little guy" after a Coalition government. Unfortunately the parties seem to be lurching towards the middle and we don't seem to be getting anything done one way or another.

That said the main problem lies when moral issues become politicized. I guess we should be thankful we aren't the US where the republican party is so infiltrated with misfits from the church and the NRA that it's losing all legitimacy.

• Like 1

You don't agree with party politics? I actually like the idea of groups of people coming together in teams and putting away some differences for the sake of the overall ideal. At heart the Labor party is a beautiful idea, it's mandate is to protect the working class and marginalized and make sure social supports are strong. Same with the conservatives who's main idea is to keep the government unobtrusive with lower taxes to encourage growth and personal opportunity.

Ideally the election cycles should swing from "they took all our money and haven't spent it on enough good" after a Labor government and then "the economy may be strong but their isn't enough government help for services and the little guy" after a Coalition government. Unfortunately the parties seem to be lurching towards the middle and we don't seem to be getting anything done one way or another.

No, it's not party politics as such. I just don't agree with people blindly following any party line but I don't want to get into that here, it's not really the place. I do agree with 'Norms' view though.

The middle is about getting elected and unfortunately not about a deeply held view. Peter Cook made a great film (satire) about this called 'The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer', check it out if you can find it. A very clever man Cook.

I actually think the majority of Australians are apathetic towards the two parties. It's the hip pocket they vote on. That's why you get such big swings.

• Like 1

That said the main problem lies when moral issues become politicized. I guess we should be thankful we aren't the US where the republican party is so infiltrated with misfits from the church and the NRA that it's losing all legitimacy.

I agree with everything, but the last bit. Australian politics is still heavily driven by religion. Fortunately, religion is slightly more marginalised over here. Still, the leader of the country is an evangelical Christian. You don't think he's a road scholar for any intellectual strengths, do you? He can't string a sentence together. It's all about his service to the church.

Edited by AdamFarr

lol this threads gone off the rails, if you want jabber on politics, open a new thread, or better yet, a new forum.

• Like 4

Thanks. I just remembered that we had a General Discussion board that I haven't visited for ages so I wandered over there with the full intention of playing that game with the posters over there. You won't believe it but I found this thread called "Tony Abbott is an international embarrassment" and blow me down. They've been playing your game for months. Some of BH's best work's in there.

Yeah? Man...I'd hate to see his worst.

I had fun playing with Ben in that thread. We should do that again soon.

I suspect you are in the US, otherwise you would be saying marginalised and politicised!

No you double take that back.

Just warning you I can go to a gazillion.

can you go a gazillion +1 ? :)

Hey moderators - are you awake? Much of the last few pages should be transferred to the General Thread as it has absolutely nought to do with drafts and trading. In fact it is meaningless clutter, in the context.

• Like 7

Hey moderators - are you awake? Much of the last few pages should be transferred to the General Thread as it has absolutely nought to do with drafts and trading. In fact it is meaningless clutter, in the context.

Yes I've seen threads go bad before, but this is rotten.

Let's talk about Mav Weller or Anthony Miles, they've got more of a chance to get a gig with us.

I bet you a gazillion plus 1 that we get another mature recruit before this is all over; no idea who but there will be one.

+1 :)

Anthony albanese from the alp looking at a trade. Libs are looking at a medical to bring him in, possibly at the expense of bronwyn bishop. Bishop has had a good career to date but stagnated a little in 2013 and could do with a new home. Libs not sure what it would take to get the deal done, possibly need to throw in a sweetener, with rumours an exchange of seats could push the deal forward.

Stay tuned

• Like 3

Anthony albanese from the alp looking at a trade. Libs are looking at a medical to bring him in, possibly at the expense of bronwyn bishop. Bishop has had a good career to date but stagnated a little in 2013 and could do with a new home. Libs not sure what it would take to get the deal done, possibly need to throw in a sweetener, with rumours an exchange of seats could push the deal forward.

Stay tuned

No, you can take it to the general board.

• Like 1

Only difference is, he was right and you'd be wrong.

You're right though some folk on here just cannot bear to be wrong and spend most of their time either proving they are right, or showing someone else they were wrong.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see the pettiness of a poster dredging up a 2 year old post from a poster they disagree with just to show that poster they know they are wrong. Who cares, we've all made stupid calls during our time and as Ben said earlier, you can change your mind.

there really isn't right or wrong in peoples thoughts If its heartfelt about the type of country they want, or the type of club they want it to be. because its their desire & belief.

many vary on how they want the club, or their country to be, & be seen, & act.

today we are all so much more informed & wise to so many choices, it makes these things more a tangled spiderweb.... Add 'spin' doctoring to the information & we have a shamozzle.

Edited by dee-luded