Jack Watts and Mike Sheahan

What would you expect him to say?

List wise Neeld did the right thing. It needed to be culled. Short term pain for long term gain.

HOWEVER; his approach to seniors could have been better, he was too heavy handed and signed the right people but for too long. Creating disgrunted/leaving seniors, massive hole in our midfield, and players like Pedersen and Jamar being signed for 3 years.

When you combine that and the injuries (Dawes and Clark never playing together, Grimes/Trengove ect), you can understand why his coaching was so bad. Had to resort to zoning and coaching a team which cant provide 1st efforts let alone 2nd against fitter, more skilled and experienced teams.

We will never know what he could do with a good list - thats life and thats why we should move on.

He could have said "possibly" or "maybe" but I don't think that would be in his makeup (ie to admit he should have changed his approach) and that is one of the reasons why he is gone.

He is probably a good assistant coach.

I do thank the good lord he is gone.

Edited by DemonOX

This may come as a surprise, but I'm not Watts' greatest fan. That said, football is 80% above the shoulders and I suspect even more so when it comes to Watts and what he's been through.

The best thing I've seen Watts do on a footy field was that match saving mark last week. Not two months ago Watts was lamenting not having senior players like Geelong to lead the way. He was rightly lambasted for those comments, as he had ownership over his own contributions and could be the player he craved. Jack led the way last week. Something needed to be done and he willed himself to do it. I'm a great believer that you "become your thoughts". Craig has Watts believing and Neeld had him doubting. There's no bigger formula for success in life than belief. I don't think Watts will be superstar we originally hoped, but he can most certainly become an A-grader if he believes he can.

I give him a hard time, but I reckon he's showing he can become a player we all admire. I hope he stays.

Ben - the highlighted words sum it all up really, IMO.

JW looked as though he believed last weekend - hope it lasts.

Edited by monoccular

Fantastic interview.

I feel for Watts, always have. The pressure on him has been unfair since day 1, but he is growing up and his confidence is rising.

There is no doubt that he is a different player under Craig, and that any good personable coach will make him become the player he can be.

There is nothing I want more than to see someone like Watts prove the doubers wrong, and slowly but surely he's starting to do that.

• Like 2

I'd say one thing the interview with Sheahan is pretty pointless to me. Neeld went too hard one way but I'm concerned Craig might go too far in order to keep him. Watts needs less media not more, but anyway. There's even some 3rd person stuff coming in with Watts there.

If Craig builds Watts up to a very good AFL player then it will still be the reality check Neeld gave him that laid the base. The problem is Neeld did it completely wrong.

He can start with himself.

It's a miracle he hasn't come to the realization that attacking the ball hard and running hard actually means you get hurt less and not more and I mean that as a general rule regarding marking contests and outside running. Of course the crazy in and under million miles and hour types can get injured more but we don't expect or want that from Watts. I thought it might have clicked at several times but it hasn't quite yet.

• Like 1

It's a miracle he hasn't come to the realization that attacking the ball hard and running hard actually means you get hurt less and not more and I mean that as a general rule regarding marking contests and outside running. Of course the crazy in and under million miles and hour types can get injured more but we don't expect or want that from Watts. I thought it might have clicked at several times but it hasn't quite yet.

I've been an unabashed critic of JW, but he's getting better.

I've seen him go low and hard this year and I think he's surprised himself by coming out of the contest unscathed.

Credit where credit's due.

• Like 1

I've been an unabashed critic of JW, but he's getting better.

I've seen him go low and hard this year and I think he's surprised himself by coming out of the contest unscathed.

Credit where credit's due.

He doesn't as much shirk the contact any more but he doesn't attack the contest either.

He's now at a level where Garland was at the start of this year. Garland has been able to start attacking balls and the game with an increased intensity and he's gone from being talked about getting dropped from the side and playing at a level like Lynden Dunn to now being our most consistent player and close to AA level.

• Like 1

He doesn't as much shirk the contact any more but he doesn't attack the contest either.

He's now at a level where Garland was at the start of this year. Garland has been able to start attacking balls and the game with an increased intensity and he's gone from being talked about getting dropped from the side and playing at a level like Lynden Dunn to now being our most consistent player and close to AA level.

I definitely think he attacks the contest, probably not all of them but a fair chunk. I noted one where he was on the lead and it was kicked out in front of him and he was sandwiched mid air by two Swans players that he could see coming. The fact that he went up and threw his body in to it really speaks volumes about Watts' steps forward this season. Instead of jogging around as well his intensity has been good, sprints into the contest and has really clean hands once in there.

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

He can start with himself.

You're right, but at least he's acknowledging that he has to take ownership of his own career. Finally it looks like something has clicked in his head.

You can tell absolutely that mentally he was really feeling it, and rightly or wrongly the pressure of being #1 pick hasn't helped him at all. Craig has obviously done wonders for him in giving him some much needed confidence, which is great, and he has obviously taken a big step forward.

Like he said, he just likes to prove to himself that he can play football, and once he feels like he can play, it will naturally filter to how the rest of his teammates and the supporters feel about him and his on field efforts.

We've all had our doubts, you more than most, but I'm feeling a lot more confident now than I was 3 weeks ago. But then again, I can say that about the entire club.

• Like 1

There's a JW/MS interview on the MFC website.

Ah yep, found it. Thanks mate!

The last time Garland was a serious contender to be dropped was about 2010.

And he has always shown more as a defender than Dunn.

I know the point you are trying to make about Watts but Garland's story is not the same; he has always been fine with physicality, his issues were skill execution and the enormous brain fades that he seems to do from time to time.

• Like 1

The last answer he gave seemed to strongly indicate had Neeld stayed Watts would have been gone at years end.

Yeah pretty ominous, imagine if Neeld had have stayed on. For the bit of good Neeld might have done for the club, he clearly did a lot of damage. It'll be interesting to see what else comes to light about his stint in the near future.

• Like 1

From Craig to Watts, to Jones, Trengove, Frawley, they have all remained consistent - in that they haven't bagged Neeld and have maintained it's just the change.

To me that says, they all know very well that Neeld was the issue, they are happy to have him out the door and see no need to even bag him.

The problem is gone, they are all very happy and refreshed that Neeld is no longer the coach.

IMO I think Craig and the players agreed with what Neeld was trying to do, but they just never bought into Neeld as an authority figure.

Just from the little I seen of the Watts interview with Mike, blokes like Watts and Trengove - who are placid fellas - respond better under Craig.

Craig is a nurturing bloke and it appears that our list respects Neil Craig, because he isn't trying to be something he is not and isn't playing dictator.

I am glad Neeld is out whilst Toumpas is in his first year, because IMO Neil Craig is the type of coach these young blokes need

best post i've read here in a long time, agree entirely

Edited by tarzan16

If the story about Neeld trying to trade him to the Roos for a 2nd rounder was true, then I guess that would be another reason Watts didn't like the man too much.

My sources say this is not true.

As for the interview, it was well played by Watt. He said without saying it that he did not like Neeld, he did not respect Neeld and nor did most on the team. He said pretty directly that Neeld did not have the interpersonal skill required to caoch at the senior level.

I'd say one thing the interview with Sheahan is pretty pointless to me. Neeld went too hard one way but I'm concerned Craig might go too far in order to keep him. Watts needs less media not more, but anyway. There's even some 3rd person stuff coming in with Watts there.

If Craig builds Watts up to a very good AFL player then it will still be the reality check Neeld gave him that laid the base. The problem is Neeld did it completely wrong.

. I think Jack basically said as much himself. Maybe they all did need the Neeld reality check after the apparent laisez faire under Bailey; pity he was, it seems, all negative though.

I definitely think he attacks the contest, probably not all of them but a fair chunk. I noted one where he was on the lead and it was kicked out in front of him and he was sandwiched mid air by two Swans players that he could see coming. The fact that he went up and threw his body in to it really speaks volumes about Watts' steps forward this season. Instead of jogging around as well his intensity has been good, sprints into the contest and has really clean hands once in there.

Totally agree with this view of that particular contest. He attacked the ball and knew it was going to be a big hit. He was sore but got up and continued with the play. In a few more weeks he'll be holding the mark as well. Needs to work on forearm vice like grip of someone like Cloke.

This interview is a classic "read-between-the-lines" interview, where most of the meaty stuff lies n what was not said. And that touching of his ear and cheek when asked about Mark Neeld - made me think of Bob Hawke's ear pulling when he was telling pork pies, or sliding over an answer.

All that said, Watts remains an impressive individual when interviewed. If he stays a Dee, and I hope he does, I can see him becoming part of a great team set-up. If we can get an outstanding senior coach, and then fix the biggest hole in our football dept - namely the way we develop new talent - Watts could become anything and everything we could ever want him to be.

Neeld was a failure as a match day coach, a people manager and a motivator. The players played with confusion and fear however whether he has made an impression in raising training standards, eroding laziness and improving professionalism remains to be seen.

As for Watts I wonder if he knows what it's like to play without mental baggage and with 100% intensity toward the cause. I doubt that he does and wonder if given time and the right environment if he could.

Edited by dandeeman

Has pulled his finger out following the chat with Jobe Watson.

Credit to Jackson for instigating that, credit to Watson for obliging and full credit to Watts for responding.