WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

There is no way a 17 year old can be truly evaluated as a footballer. Players get overlooked because they mature slower than others. Some players mature early so therefore get picked early. It's not that complicated. Some players never get any better than their last under age year - impossible to predict that too.

For those of you who played competitive team sport, just think about the difference in your own abilities at age 17 as compared to age 23. And more importantly, others around you. However, development is a huge factor as well ...

Roos himself has mentioned a number of times how important it is in those first few years of a draftee's career. He has spoken about the right environment, culture and coaching.

We've really got ourselves much more than just a coach.

• Like 6

Admittedly I haven't gone through 238 pages, but am I the only one whose enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by the 2 years (plus possibly one) bit?

I have read the rationale, and I am not critical of the club, because it's clear from what PJ said that we wouldn't have gotten Roos at all if we insisted on 5. But in terms of Roos' motivation, I am just a bit concerned he has set himself up in a "can't lose" situation without enough skin in the game. At the end of 2 years, he may do a 3rd, but after that, he has made it clear he would walk away to a coach he anoints. We all know you can maybe set the course within 2, but the real test of whether this list can deliver success will be in probably 4 - 6 years. Given that he would be appointing his successor, all things being equal it would be hard for him to stay should be wish to "stay the course", as that would involve screwing around a successor.

If Roos' motivation is not right, then time might prove we would have been better off with a Choco Williams, who may not be as compelling in the immediate term, but is absolutely committed.

I trust in Roos' professionalism, and I just really hope he is doing this for the right reasons. 2 years is not long.

Choko, cutting away all the soin, the real reason behind the shorter contract is Roos's ability to hold the club to accountability and ensure the improvements and direction he has been promised are maintained throughout. If, in two years the club is 'wandering off course' or characters like stockdale are meddling, Roos has ensured he will be able to pull up stumps and leave.

Think if it as Roosy's insurance policy.

However, should the club be tracking along the path he has been assured it will be then I am very confident of the information ive been given that he will be most definitely be extending that contract.

It is actually in our best interests as supporters, this shorter contract. The club will be forced to tow the line or their golden boy will walk out the door. No more Scwab like egos coming in and &*^%ing around if they want Roos to renew.

Im very comfortable with how things sit.

• Like 5

We all should recognise not every thing is as it seems ( or is presented ) with one Paul Roos

Hypothetical.. Dees improve.. Dees improve significantly in 3 years and are looking at finals

ff 4th year looms , Window is open. The team who are this game are looking seriously at getting their groove on. The MFC on the verge ?? would you walk away ?????? Whoever puts the cup on the mantelpiece will be legend.

I think Ill just let it all roll out . Not fussed by whats presumed.

• Like 1

We all should recognise not every thing is as it seems ( or is presented ) with one Paul Roos

Hypothetical.. Dees improve.. Dees improve significantly in 3 years and are looking at finals

ff 4th year looms , Window is open. The team who are this game are looking seriously at getting their groove on. The MFC on the verge ?? would you walk away ?????? Whoever puts the cup on the mantelpiece will be legend.

I think Ill just let it all roll out . Not fussed by whats presumed.

I didn't know you were so patient, Bub.

Admittedly I haven't gone through 238 pages, but am I the only one whose enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by the 2 years (plus possibly one) bit?

I have read the rationale, and I am not critical of the club, because it's clear from what PJ said that we wouldn't have gotten Roos at all if we insisted on 5. But in terms of Roos' motivation, I am just a bit concerned he has set himself up in a "can't lose" situation without enough skin in the game. At the end of 2 years, he may do a 3rd, but after that, he has made it clear he would walk away to a coach he anoints. We all know you can maybe set the course within 2, but the real test of whether this list can deliver success will be in probably 4 - 6 years. Given that he would be appointing his successor, all things being equal it would be hard for him to stay should be wish to "stay the course", as that would involve screwing around a successor.

If Roos' motivation is not right, then time might prove we would have been better off with a Choco Williams, who may not be as compelling in the immediate term, but is absolutely committed.

I trust in Roos' professionalism, and I just really hope he is doing this for the right reasons. 2 years is not long.

I agree - I'm stoked that we signed him and am still happy, but the 2+1 deal definitely left me a bit hollow. I can only hope its due to wanting to see how the admin holds up and make sure we don't become the Dysfunctional Demons again hamstringing any chance he has at success.

Best young footballer in Australia for mine, if we get pick 1 we should throw it on the table and ask for fyfe, it won't happen but at least give them something to think about

Why would a club get rid of a star/gun/A-grade/whatever player for a draft pick that they can hope to use on a player who may become a star/gun/A-grade/whatever player? Will never happen, the only way it would is if said player told the club he's off (like Judd) otherwise you're not going to entice the club to give up their player for a draft pick even if it is a top 3 pick. You have to convince the player to come first and then deal with the club, not the other way round.

Choko, cutting away all the soin, the real reason behind the shorter contract is Roos's ability to hold the club to accountability and ensure the improvements and direction he has been promised are maintained throughout. If, in two years the club is 'wandering off course' or characters like stockdale are meddling, Roos has ensured he will be able to pull up stumps and leave.

Think if it as Roosy's insurance policy.

However, should the club be tracking along the path he has been assured it will be then I am very confident of the information ive been given that he will be most definitely be extending that contract.

It is actually in our best interests as supporters, this shorter contract. The club will be forced to tow the line or their golden boy will walk out the door. No more Scwab like egos coming in and &*^%ing around if they want Roos to renew.

Im very comfortable with how things sit.

Yeah, will probably want to see who the next CEO will be as well, assuming PJ doesn't extend his contract.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

I take Roos at face value - in 2 years of 3 years time, he will handover the head coaching position to someone else.

Now, I console myself with this fact in the knowledge that 36 months is enough time to get this place right - it is, and with the possibility Roos will play a 'Craig' type role after those 3 years or some other role at the club.

Guys, get your head around it - within weeks we will know who our next coach will be and they will take over in 2016 or 2017.

• Like 4

I take Roos at face value - in 2 years of 3 years time, he will handover the head coaching position to someone else.

Now, I console myself with this fact in the knowledge that 36 months is enough time to get this place right - it is, and with the possibility Roos will play a 'Craig' type role after those 3 years or some other role at the club.

Guys, get your head around it - within weeks we will know who our next coach will be and they will take over in 2016 or 2017.

It's not only face value, it's sticking by your word and I believe Roos would be pretty solid in that area.

Only way the succession won't happen in a few years is if Board, CEO and Roos aren't comfortable for some reason.

Good point.

But some posters have taken the silence as inertia - the club isn't doing anything! We must act!

I guess we will find out in a few weeks what Jackson is cooking. I want someone that the players cannot hide behind and that they want to play for.

Well, I got what I wanted.

It's funny how things happen - the reality in which I wrote this did not have our current coach as a probability.

It's good to be so wrong.

surely we wont name the successor until the end of the next season?

Wouldnt Roos want a season of seeing them up close in action before he decides who the man to takeover will be?

Prepare yourself - the next few weeks will tell you who is being groomed to take over.

Prepare yourself - the next few weeks will tell you who is being groomed to take over.

that would be strange i have to say

I imagine it would have ti be someone like Michael Voss who has a body of work that Roos has seen

that would be strange i have to say

I imagine it would have ti be someone like Michael Voss who has a body of work that Roos has seen

I think has the experience and the confidence to groom anyone, coaching experience or not.

What if Roos gets us to a top 4 spot in his 3rd year? (if he stays on as head coach for that 3rd year) Right now, that seems unlikely, but a top 8 position isn't such a stretch for 2016. It's easy to envisage many Demons wanting to keep him at the helm.

However, the 'seamless' changeover is a terrific concept and it's one that I agree with. But it could get a little awkward down the track. What sounds great in theory doesn't always work in practice. No two clubs are alike. Roos to Longmire worked beautifully. Mick to Bucks ... that could turn out to be a disaster. The Pies should have changed their minds on that one.

But as a concept, appointing the next coach in the next little while is a great idea in theory. It can have the effect of setting out a long term viable future for the club. Obviously, our situation is vastly different to Collingwood's one. We need to virtually start from scratch. The beauty of it is that Roos has done it before so any pitfalls can be spotted well in advance. Exciting times ahead ...

Edited by Macca

I agree - I'm stoked that we signed him and am still happy, but the 2+1 deal definitely left me a bit hollow. I can only hope its due to wanting to see how the admin holds up and make sure we don't become the Dysfunctional Demons again hamstringing any chance he has at success.

Why would a club get rid of a star/gun/A-grade/whatever player for a draft pick that they can hope to use on a player who may become a star/gun/A-grade/whatever player? Will never happen, the only way it would is if said player told the club he's off (like Judd) otherwise you're not going to entice the club to give up their player for a draft pick even if it is a top 3 pick. You have to convince the player to come first and then deal with the club, not the other way round.

Yeah, will probably want to see who the next CEO will be as well, assuming PJ doesn't extend his contract.

I dunno, mate. I doubt it'd happen, but I reckon Boyd for Fyfe would make them think.

I think you should examine closely what Roos said. Specifically, he wants two or three senior assistants who are all capable of taking over and the best one gets the job. It is pretty simple really. Is done all the time in the corporate world. It is call succession planning.

We will not know who the next Demon coach is for at least 2 to 2 1/2 years in my opinion, but there will be endless speculation. Get used to it.

IMO I suspect Roos wants eventually to end up CEO, and I think he would make an excellent one. He is clearly a very ambitious man. It would not surprise me if that was part of the negotiation. Roos for PJ in three years time would make a lot of sense. Maybe we should (will) send him to the 3 month Harvard mini MBA over one summer.

PJ and the new Chairman obviously did something that the others chasing him did not (could not) do. He has consistently said it was the "total package" and the succession arrangement which got him across the line.

Great for him, and fantastic for the Demons.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 2