Hope - I got it back

Bluey's Dad

No point firing neeld this year, even bailey needed until his their season until the team was competitive, if the team is as scrap as they are. After round 6 next year. Then his time is up

you are prepared to waste another year?

I want some action tomorrow.

• Like 2

Whether u are for or against Neeld something needs to happen.

For the first time I really concentrated on the players faces and it amazes me just how depressed, frustrated, unhappy and confused they look.

I didn't see this under Bailey.

I am in the get rid of Neeld now camp as damage is continuing to be done and if something doesn't change soon it could be irreparable damage.

• Like 2

But the real hope IMHO came in the press conference. Neeld said something that really resonated with me, it was something like "we could have stuck Howe and Trenners on half back and limited the score, but then they wouldn't learn anything." He makes an interesting point. Does it really matter if we loose by 50 points or 90 points? It's a loss either way. The important thing is sticking with the structures and making sure the players actually learn something in the course of the game.

Sorry to reply to one aspect of your post, Choke, but as you say it provided 'real hope'.

Neeld DID put players back. He has stuck players back most games. He just does not acknowledge it - even tells un/half truths about it - in the pressers.

Edited by Spork

But the real hope IMHO came in the press conference. Neeld said something that really resonated with me, it was something like "we could have stuck Howe and Trenners on half back and limited the score, but then they wouldn't learn anything." He makes an interesting point. Does it really matter if we loose by 50 points or 90 points? It's a loss either way. The important thing is sticking with the structures and making sure the players actually learn something in the course of the game.

Sorry to reply to one aspect of your post, Choke, but as you say it provided 'real hope'.
Neeld DID put players back. He has stuck players back most games. He just does not acknowledge it - even tells un/half truths about it - in the pressers.

That's true, he blames the players sometimes which I can't fathom.

Royal ,Brown,Rawlings and Neeld.

Get the players some prozac.

I'm surprised the poor bastards aren't smoking ice.

They've got a list of wannabees, not long out of the game (except for Royal who is the worst)

giving them advice during the quarter breaks when they probably just need air and a drink.

I couldn't respect any of them-always thought they were useless players and while they may have the ambition to coach-they need to go to the bush and learn about people.

You cannot just GIVE respect ,especially to a bloke like Rawlings or Brown or Royal .

Clear the frickin decks now.

• Like 1

If we had everyone to choose from and had a forward line set up of Dawes, Clarke, Howe and Watts it would be great. Grimes in the middle and Frawley down back we would structure up so much better. This is my frustration. We cant get everyone out at the same time. It would be nice to see a whole team line up for a change.

If we had everyone to choose from and had a forward line set up of Dawes, Clarke, Howe and Watts it would be great. Grimes in the middle and Frawley down back we would structure up so much better. This is my frustration. We cant get everyone out at the same time. It would be nice to see a whole team line up for a change.

In the first few rounds, barring Dawes, all of the mentioned players were playing and we were just as bad as we are now. Not sure injuries are a viable excuse.

Edited by adsy

I didn't get any hope back. I'm just bored and pretty tired of the club right now.

The club waffled on about getting to the game and supporting the club and then repaid the favour with 20 minutes of competitive footy followed by 100 minutes of no leadership, no coaching, and no plan. The most combative thing that happened all day was words from McLardy whose all of a sudden looking like a careerist in a job that doesn't even pay.

The footy club is a long way from being able to compete and based on Neelds comments about senior players in the presser he's going to go youth. Remember when we last did that? I do. It ended with a sacked coach and a club full of kids with no work rate and no idea what it takes to be successful.

The French phrase 'deja vu' is far too eloquent and poetic for the crap state of affairs our supporters have been exposed too this year.

• Like 1

They've got a list of wannabees, not long out of the game (except for Royal who is the worst)

giving them advice during the quarter breaks when they probably just need air and a drink.

I couldn't respect any of them-always thought they were useless players and while they may have the ambition to coach-they need to go to the bush and learn about people.

You cannot just GIVE respect ,especially to a bloke like Rawlings or Brown or Royal .

Pretty much what PJ said. The people running the show (besides Craig) have very little experience of coaching at this level. And they are expected to overhaul the entire bloody club!

Rawlings coached Richmond during junk time in 2009 but has been retired since 2006. Neeld was a line coach at Collingwood and a coach in the bush. Choco Royal has been an assistant for near on 14 years now. He was spoken of as a potential senior coach 10 to 12 years ago. It says something that nothing ever came up or came close to coming up. Leigh Brown is two years out of Collingwood.

Out of their depth, all of them.

I am in the get rid of Neeld now camp as damage is continuing to be done and if something doesn't change soon it could be irreparable damage.

This is what really worries me.

I worry that the players have given up under him and don't believe they can win with him there. Just watching the game again (glutton for punishment) there is so much frustration at each other, confusion on faces and finger pointing going on it's ridiculous.

Would have loved an insights to the players mindset at quarter time to know if they thought they could win this or were they just waiting for the flood gates to open.

I still draw hope however from watching the Jones' smash through packs, watching Col play his heart out, watching T Mc run off his man into space and Dawes crashing packs and ripping opponents heads off in tackles.

Interesting to see how Collingwood would perform against another top 4 team without the likes of Cloke, Lynch, Ben Reid and a Luke Ball or a Dane Swan.

For the first time I really concentrated on the players faces and it amazes me just how depressed, frustrated, unhappy and confused they look.

Funny, I saw disappointment , naturally. It amazes me how you could diagnose depression, frustration, unhappiness & confusion in 22 players all at one match. Maybe that's what you were feeling ?

You commend Neeld for sticking to structures for a forward line setup that he is awaiting. One could argue the exact opposite and say he is crazy to be so stubborn, inflexible and idealistic to sacrifice games in preparation for a forward line that may never get on the park. It sounds like a fantastic get out of jail card. It's really hard at this point to believe in what he is saying.

• Like 1

You commend Neeld for sticking to structures for a forward line setup that he is awaiting. One could argue the exact opposite and say he is crazy to be so stubborn, inflexible and idealistic to sacrifice games in preparation for a forward line that may never get on the park. It sounds like a fantastic get out of jail card. It's really hard at this point to believe in what he is saying.

Sacrifice games?

I don't see how we can sit here and say that we are sacrificing games but not tagging and putting players back...

We are not a good team. At all.

What, you didn't see Morton & Martin confused,,,, a bit over the top don't you think.

maybe thats because they were within their own wildest dreams... a happy place where every boy & girl wins, & 'no sweat' was ever spilt.

..... step right up, step right up folks, to the Greatest Show on Earth !

ringling-bros-barnum-bailey.jpg

MCG tour dates, late 2007 thru to Aug 2011...

Yep, making it easy for the players who haven't worked hard enough keeping the pressure on the opposition, & we end up under the pump,,, so we just push everyone back till when, til the final siren sounds???

the players have to learn to keep the ball in our hands & keep challenging themselves to improve, & maintain possession for longer, & to really pressure the opposition to cough it up. then we have our turn again to try to score.

if we just keep on pushing players back the midfield can just be Lazy and wait for a rebound... or they can improve & take the game on, & become 2way players.

Introducing the elephants in the room.... I watched our forward structures yesterday all game, & half way through the second quarter it became obvious we had none!! Our midfielders and half backs were busting their asses to win ball (McKenzie & Howe throwing themselves on smothers, & Rodan & Jones constantly taking high hits...don't get me started on the umpiring!), but whenever they'd look up and kick forward... No one... The ball winners were often the closest Demon to the goal, & they were on the wing!! Now I'm no fan of Brown or Rawlings, didn't think they were good players, & am not convinced either can coach. How hard is it to line up players in a potent forward line structure? What are they doing at training? Watts had three on him many times yesterday, that means we had two loose men (somewhere else?). One of the shining lights was Davey's final quarter goal. We finally used a player's natural talent (in this case Davey's speed) to better an oponent. Given it happened once only yesterday, I find it hard to believe this was a coach's instruction. Kick ins.... We really take the cake here... I reckon one out of every five exits the 50m line. Again, what DOES Rawlings teach them?? Only twice in the game I saw Dunn and Garland roost it to the centre square! We have the talent, it just doesn't seem to be part of our 'game plan'.....

Bring on the PJ-overhaul!! The players and supporters deserve better than these coaches & Board members!!

Edited by jimbo1982
  • Like 1

First class revisionism. I'm confident the players looked equally depressed, frustrated, unhappy and confused at times under Bailey as well.

That's not to say Neeld is a good coach and should stay (or vice versa). But it's a bit rich to now say the players weren't any of those things under Bailey.

Absolutely zero chance he is our coach in 2014. Zero.

We get that you hate Neeld, and I agree that there have been some questionable moves made whilst he's been in charge.

However, it is an undoubted fact, that we indeed have the worst list in the competition by a country mile. You laugh at people who have faith in Neeld whilst others laugh at you for your assessment of our list... It's humorous all round really.

A better Coach and a different game style would help I believe. However the number on problem is the amount of dead wood we have throughout our squad.

And by dead wood I mean the following: Players who fail to implement the most basic skills at AFL level. Kicking and handballing. Decision making and football smarts.

These are [censored] pre-requisites that players should already have before coming to a club and we have an abundance of players who haven't had these skill sets before being recruited.

• Like 1

I get hope back every next week. (Next next week because of the break.) Are we a chance against the Saints. Would this be a good one to put a bet on?

I wouldn't bet on them with YOUR money !!! B)

And by dead wood I mean the following: Players who fail to implement the most basic skills at AFL level. Kicking and handballing. Decision making and football smarts.

These are [censored] pre-requisites that players should already have before coming to a club and we have an abundance of players who haven't had these skill sets before being recruited.

All the players on our list have these skills otherwise they would be with me.

They are all at different levels as recognised through the recruiting and training periods

It is up to the coaches to take these differing skill levels enhance some but more importantly to use them

No other team has a team full of brownlow medalists. Its the team that does it. and to labour a point made elsewhere it is the coaches job to set structures and use the skills available, make sure others in the team know the strengths and patterns to be used and make sure they play to the exytent of their skills as a team

ITS THE COACH

They are all at different levels as recognised through the recruiting and training periods

It is up to the coaches to take these differing skill levels enhance some but more importantly to use them

No other team has a team full of brownlow medalists. Its the team that does it. and to labour a point made elsewhere it is the coaches job to set structures and use the skills available, make sure others in the team know the strengths and patterns to be used and make sure they play to the exytent of their skills as a team

ITS THE COACH

What he said!

ITS THE COACH

Correct.

People talk about lack of confidence and inability to execute basic skills.

And guess what - that all come down to the gameplan, the players are confused as hell and dont know what they are supposed to.

Its the coach, and he has to go asap.