Jack Trengove

They also mentioned that they have to keep playing him because he is the Captain.

You don't HAVE to play anyone but I understand the perception created if you drop your captain or put him into mid-season training. Which is why you announce he's got a groin injury (which I suspect he has anyway).

• Like 1

If its not injury then it's a worry, but not hopeless. Leg speed can be built up to an acceptable level again. I do think he is playing lame though.

He clearly had/had Osteitis Pubis. He has no strength when he pushes off to run, and he can barely kick 40 metres these days.

He has/had O.P. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. It's unfortunate because it's a bad thing to develop for AFL players. Happens a lot with youngsters who try to take on a higher work load than they can handle. It turned Luke Ball from an explosive All Australian midfielder to a tortoise who scraps amongst packs. Hopefully Trengove can overcome it and become the player he is capable of being. It's his body letting him down at this stage :(

• Like 4

I'm a fan but it's time people stopped saying 'leave him alone, he'll be right'. He deserves criticism as he has just not been good enough. 6 disposals from a midfielder playing a whole game is absolute rubbish. He doesn't chase hard enough either.

Edited by Django
  • Like 1

I usually strongly disagree with calls for the Club to tell us stuff we as supporters are keen to know, but is best kept in-house and not in the hands of opponents. But maybe this is a case where the club should say something if something is wrong with JT.

• Like 1

Jack must surely be carrying an injury, but why is he out there if he is?

• Like 2

Didn't look good. Since the "sling Tackle" from a couple of years back Jack T has looked bog ordinary.

Sadly. He should give the Captaincy in tomorrow.

Just be a player.

Always hated 2 Captains anyway.

I agree that he shouldn't be a full Captain but if they were to change the situation they'd have to handle it very diplomatically. I would like to see Grimes as a stand alone captain with Trengove as a vice along with maybe Clark.

It was an innovative move, but risky.

Robert Flower played under Stan Alves, Greg Wells and Carl Ditterich as captains before taking on the job. David Neitz played under Gary Lyon and Todd Viney. To go back a bit further, Hassa Mann plated under John Beckwith and Ron Barassi.

That meant that they were well-established players when they took on the captaincy, they didn't have to worry about holding their place in the side on merit, and they had the opportunity to see more experienced players in the role.

The club has put Jack in a terrible position, where he's struggling to find form and hold his place, and I suspect deal with fitness and injury problems. Got to stick with him now, but this will need to be carefully managed.

• Like 1

I cringe when he is at the centre square bounce. All he does is look at his man and then his man gets the ball and runs away. Our midfield is more intent on watching their opponents than getting the ball. We need some terriers to get the ball. I am afraid Trengove is not a midfielder, never was, never will be. He played on the HFF in South Australia.

He has been like this for two years now,and his form is putting him under enormous pressure as captain.

For some reaon the bloke cant run

I'm a fan but it's time people stopped saying 'leave him alone, he'll be right'. He deserves criticism as he has just not been good enough. 6 disposals from a midfielder playing a whole game is absolute rubbish. He doesn't chase hard enough either.

Spent most of his time forward to day. Still not a good return though.

Definitely something not right here, the club is doing him no favours if playing him with injury.

Guest rednblue4life

he missed 8 weeks of pre season

he cant have the fitness to impact the game as much as he would like yet.

Well he shouldev played a month of vfl to gain form and fittness before playing in the bigtime and making himself look like a dud.

he missed 8 weeks of pre season

he cant have the fitness to impact the game as much as he would like yet.

How does that explain the first 15 minutes of a game, where he is the slowest player on the ground, Spencer included?

• Like 1

Injury hasn't helped him, we know how hard it is to get over foot stress fractures.

But I hate that he is being played in random positions. If he isn't fit to play, he shouldn't play. If he is, he should play in the middle.

This "we are trying to educate him" crap from Neeld makes me angry. Trengove has been around long enough to now be played in his true role as a midfielder. It's not like accountability and defence are his issues, he is a great tackler and he works hard without the ball. But he's being played out of position, and it is not helping his confidence. Play him on the ball, for at least half the game, and at least let him get his hands on the footy.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Well he shouldev played a month of vfl to gain form and fittness before playing in the bigtime and making himself look like a dud.

Round 1 probably caused that to an extent, i suspect there was quite abit of panic and Neeld felt JT might help with the lack of effort, but at this point it makes no sense to destroy the blokes confidence, either he is injured and should have a couple of weeks off, or he is out of form and needs a couple in the VFL.

• Like 1