Which premiershp coach should the MFC throw a 5 year, $5 million contract at?

What

next MFC coach  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, that's not what I said, that's how you interpreted what I said. Those are not the same thing.

The players and coach are killing the club. That's what is truly important. It's obvious Neeld wants to instruct rather than get the best from what's available and then build from there. It's not working and the club can't afford more sitting on its hands.

To use your own language 'a viable, better alternative' would statistically be almost any living full time AFL coach. I think even Bailey currently has a better win/loss ratio than Neeld and he was pre expansion teams for 80% of his career.

Neeld should go at least 6 weeks before the end of the year so we can really go hard for a name and instill some believe back into our club again. A new coach won't work? Brenton Sanderson and Ken Hinkley say hi.

Didn't actually say a new coach wouldn't work that is your interpretation of what I said.

Brenton and Ken are not coaching the MFC so any attempt at comparing the situations is like comparing apples to oranges.

I also am extremely disappointed by the last several seasons but also realise that our current plight is 10 years in the making, and getting out of it will take longer than a season.

Unfortunately Neeld is paying the price for sins the club commited years before he got here, and while he may never coach us to a flag he may well set things in place that will assist us to get there in the future.

He is not afraid to turn players over that don't work hard enough and while everyone is happy to pot him for bringing in mature players, it was a need that required addressing as this club had no experienced role models to help out the young guys. At least he is trying to leave the list in a better place than he found it which is more than his predecessors did.

I dislike Kevin Sheedy intensely but we couldn't go far wrong in getting him. He'd get the best out of our youngsters and help bring Watts and Trengove to the next level.

He would be a viable chance for us as I have heard this will be his last year at Greater Western Sydney.

We don't need a premiership coach. Just a talented coach. See Ken Hinkley or the Scott brothers.

Would be great to get Roos or someone with a nice resume but seriously just cos Neeld has failed doesn't mean all new coaches will.

A new coach won't work? Brenton Sanderson and Ken Hinkley say hi.

Vossie, Dean Bailey and (according to you and others at least) Mark Neeld say "hi!" right back at you.

Range Rover should coach - he knows all.

Just Range Rover? Hell, we have the entire coaching panel right here on Demonland! If the experts on here were to step up to the helm today, we would be top 4 contenders before season's end!

• Like 1

Just Range Rover? Hell, we have the entire coaching panel right here on Demonland! If the experts on here were to step up to the helm today, we would be top 4 contenders before season's end!

Chap, only posting today, coz saw your name on a topic, I have given up posting on here, you are wasting your breath, if you look at the negative posts . it is the same 10 or 12, they hijack every thread to drive their agendas......will PM you with a decent board, having a look at another one.......in all this we are 1 and 4, along with North Melb,West Coast and GWS coached by 2 supposed gun coaches and a former great................we all know what the issue is at the moment....it is the midfield, not the coaches......we may or may not get it right....

• Like 2

no football understanding

watched yesterday and replayed it to make sure i was thinking straight.

OUR coach and players are on a 3 year program of improvement .

i was truly confident about the brizzy game as many in the club would have been.

watch your replay and look at the score during the 2nd and 3rd qts,

then take note of the kick, handball, and directional choice of the players.

basic skill errors let the team down badly in what should have been a winnable game.

every coach will tell you a skill error is something we all commit at some time during our working hours.

what price you pay was shown to us on sunday, by a team we should have beaten.

every player and member of the fd will know this and they have spent the past 18 months and will spend the next 18 months working through these issues.

after that time we shall know where our list stands.

a FORMER premiership coach would work along those exact lines, he would also want 3 years to work through these issues.

weve already started this process. get on board and enjoy the next 18 months, because any board changing this would be ultimately guilty of stupidity.

my best coach always said whatever you do dont PANIC

• Like 1

Sanderson Sandersan Sanderson X 3

He had the Crows going like a Silver Bullett Train last Year... grab him quick... get him to leave... HI HO Silver

... oh wait he lost ONE player over the Off season & now they are Off...

Hmmn, hang on rangey, I think I might rethink

• Like 1

The best coach for us is a premiership winning coach who has had the least amount of football spend behind him when he achieved the feat.

Must be proven as developing a list from a low base.

Must have some balls and not afraid to speak his mind.

Must have a excellent track record with young players

Mark Williams is the man and is gettable

Sanderson Sandersan Sanderson X 3

He had the Crows going like a Silver Bullett Train last Year... grab him quick... get him to leave... HI HO Silver

... oh wait he lost ONE player over the Off season & now they are Off...

Hmmn, hang on rangey, I think I might rethink

far to sensible,positive posts should be dreamt about and not seen

The best coach for us is a premiership winning coach who has had the least amount of football spend behind him when he achieved the feat.

Must be proven as developing a list from a low base.

Must have some balls and not afraid to speak his mind.

Must have a excellent track record with young players

Mark Williams is the man and is gettable

It took him 7 years (2 as assistant and 5 as head coach) to get a Premiership with Port... perhaps on that basis we should cut Neeld some slack?

• Like 1

Forget it we are toxic. I wish everyone would get over sheedy. he would have knocked back the job and wants nothing to do with the club. Mark Williams no way. We dont need a coach like him.

Look at Hardwick he has been coach since 2009 and his list is talented than our on paper anyway and he is yet to make finals.

Interesting comments from Malthouse. He would have walked a long time ago. This was his commenst after his game.

"The day he walked into the job, when you think (of) what took place at Melbourne, I think it’s a credit that he has stood up and remained sane for a start off," Malthouse said.

"I don’t think any coach has been through what he's been through in the space of 15 months.

"Put it this way, if that had've been my first 15 months, there's no way known I'd be here, because that is so difficult …

"Welcome to AFL football, I suppose, under those circumstances (it is) very difficult.

"But I think he's done a pretty good job, given where Melbourne were, what's happened, (and) a lot of it's out of his control.

"But (if) you get through this, you get through a lot of things."

• Like 1

Of course Mick is going to say that, Neeld is his protege.

As a coach, Mick is a motivator of people, whereas Paul Roos is a culture builder.

For all Malthouse time at Collingwood, he only won a one flag and as soon as he left -

so did the player motivation within the group.

Whereas when Paul Roos left Sydney, the culture was already deeply ingrained.

The players weren't playing for Roos alone, they were playing for the club.

The same goes for Geelong and Bomber, when Bomber left, the culture was still strong.

Collingwood hasn't got the best culture, look at all their off field discretions over the years,

even when Mick was there.

We need to chase a coach that has previously been part of a good culture.

Mark Neeld isn't the man for this club, I like the bloke, but he's not the coach for this club going forward.

Hopefully we get the next appointment right, it's the most important appointment in the clubs history.

• Like 4

If Demonland existed during World War II I suspect there would be calls to sack Winston Churchill 14 months in; and, perhaps more recenetly and relevantly, in 1988 there would have been calls to delist Jim Stynes.

Give the bloke a chance. I hate losing; I hate uncompetitive performances; but a culture of shafting a coach after less than 2 years is not going to encourage any quality candidates to apply.

Let's just get behind Neeld, his coaching team and the players.

• Like 2

All those defending Neeld (Hardtack, jazza etc.), I'm willing to see the validity of your argument.

If I shut my trap about getting rid of him (which I'm willing to do if I can be persuaded) how should I be evaluating the club?

What is the criteria that I judge him against in 2013?

I'm not being facetious. I genuinely want to look at this from another perspective because its killing me watching uncompetitive performances.

• Like 1

All those defending Neeld (Hardtack, jazza etc.), I'm willing to see the validity of your argument.

If I shut my trap about getting rid of him (which I'm willing to do if I can be persuaded) how should I be evaluating the club?

I'm not being facetious. I genuinely want to look at this from another perspective because its killing me watching uncompetitive performances.

I'd genuinely like an answer to this also. I recall Neeld placing an expectation of more wins than last season, but didn't place a figure on it. Right now, the only team I see us as even being a chance of beating is GWS, so that benchmark is a long way off.

I don't dislike Neeld, in fact I have alot of respect for the way he's held himself together after an unparalleled introduction to senior coaching with numerous external pressures. I desperately want to see him and the club succeed, but there is just so little evidence that this team is improving, and my confidence in his abilities as a senior coach couldn't be much lower than it is right now.

• Like 2

I'd genuinely like an answer to this also. I recall Neeld placing an expectation of more wins than last season, but didn't place a figure on it. Right now, the only team I see us as even being a chance of beating is GWS, so that benchmark is a long way off.

I don't dislike Neeld, in fact I have alot of respect for the way he's held himself together after an unparalleled introduction to senior coaching with numerous external pressures. I desperately want to see him and the club succeed, but there is just so little evidence that this team is improving, and my confidence in his abilities as a senior coach couldn't be much lower than it is right now.

ok i will do my best to answer this poser.wins, who you beat, how many players fail,all adds up to nothing

the quest the management have gone on is to bring all the playing group up to a level of fitness seen at other clubs which we dont have, it takes 3 preseasons

some players are getting free games because we dont have enough up to standard as yet.

internally our club was a basket case and everybody is i hope working through these issues, yes there will be casualities

we have as yet had a rebuild, its starting now, much to the annoyance of the fans.

neeld will be the builder, but i dont think he will be rewarded, with the results after 2014

has he made mistakes, YES.

finding out who can do what and when is the quest were on right now, so you will see players out of position, irregular game types,losses that we should win and lots more things the average supporter will post about.

i promise you rebuild is horrible and difficult work, but the reward is exciting and knowing that certain people on and off the field wont make it to the next stage is hurtful but it has to happen or else we will be a fitzroy.

sorry my reply took awhile but the missus wouldnt milk the cows for the last 2 days, go figure

have a look at the 3rd quarter against brizzy and forget figures, we had clear possesion on halfback wing and gave the ball away with shocking skill errors,i am sure all the players and coaching staff were bitterly disapointed with this and it cost us a real chance, this is rebuilding and its going to happen more in the next 18 months.

evaluate the team on good things you see and the consistency of those good things by years end,look at the mistakes and evaluate the abating of those mistakes by years end.next year look back at those 2 areas and see what the improvement is.

Edited by jazza

If you told me we could have Mark Williams coaching the club tomorrow, with no expensive pay out to Neeld, with no drawn out interview process, I would take it in a heart beat, but its not that simple unfortunately. I honestly don't know what I want anymore, apart from a competitive football club to follow.

• Like 1

Neeld started in 2012 with a mandate to completely revamp the playing list and football department. Obviously the club was in such a state that he could not do a complete clean out in a single season, so season 2012 was about seeing which of the current playing group were willing to get onboard with him and which were unwilling to do what was required of them. There is a lot of talk about how Neeld was responsible for Moloney's slump in form last year because he was too harsh in his treatment of him by dropping him from the leadership group, I see this differently and believe that Moloney's treatment was because he was not prepared to do the hard yards that Neeld required of him and he chucked a "hissy fit"... behaviour that only served to prove Neeld's decision to drop him from the leadership group was probably the right one. I liked Moloney, but let's be honest, even during his Bluey winning 2011 he went missing when he was most needed. Anyway, I digress...

We all new and expected that season 2012 would be bad and we all new and expected that there would be a big turn over in the playing group; and Neeld didn't disappoint - not to mention all of the other issues that came to light and threatened to derail his season before it had even started. Yes, many disagree with some of his gets for the playing group, but they also tend to overlook the fact that he was largely responsible for the hijacking of Clark en route to Freemantle and has also been involved in us getting the likes of Dawes, M Jones, Kent and Hogan among others. Yes he also got us a few veterans who are arguably not going to do a lot, but at what cost? I believe they were stopgap measures at very little cost when we could not afford or attract anything better. Byrnes is starting to show some good form and could yet turn out to be a very good get.

We all know that at the end of this season the rebuild is sure to continue and that there will likely be another broom put through the playing group and that the next part of the plan will be to bring in experienced quality mids and possibly another couple of backs. We will also no doubt get another go at a high draft pick which I would assume will also be used on a quality young mid.

Yes Neeld has had a very poor start to this season, but when you look at how things are developing, both Port and Essendon remain undefeated, West Coast are not really as bad as their position on the ladder would indicate and despite a lacklustre performance against GWS, we still managed to record the best performance in a single quarter that the MFC has ever produced ...and I don't buy that GWS's young players being tired line, because they are the best of the best that were recruited by GWS and many have had at least two full pre-seasons to get fit enough for the rigors of the AFL. I think that quarter of football gave us a glimpse into what these players are capable of and hopefully, if Neeld is allowed to see his contract out, we will start to see this happening on a more regular basis...Sunday's game against Brisbane was an odd one out in as far as so many of our usually more consistent players did next to nothing; this was particularly obvious with Nathan Jones putting in what I thought was possibly his worst performance in 2 or 3 years. Without Jones firing, our midfield is virtually useless at the moment.

Anyway, I think if we were to sack Neeld now, we would be put even further behind in our development and those players who have bought into his "plan" will likely be disenchanted (those who still haven't may well be gone in 2014?) and so I think any interim coach would be facing an absolute nightmare in terms of results. Craig has made it abundantly clear that he will not even entertain the idea of coaching ever again, so who does that leave us with? Williams as a possibility seems to be only in the minds of a few on these forums, but in reality would possibly show little or no interest (and would NOT be worth throwing $5m at anyway), Roos is highly unlikely to be drawn to the position, Ratten would be a great midfield coach but not head coach, Sheedy is essentially unhinged and would be useful only in terms of a marketing exercise and Worsfold is pretty much rusted on at West Coast and I would think, very unlikely to uproot everything to come East. All we would have a chance of getting would be a failed or out of touch experienced coach or another rookie coach and then this whole cycle of recriminations would start again after we fail for the rest of 2013 and 2014... not to mention the fact that the playing group would have to endure yet more major changes to the football department and probably another purging or two of their own numbers.

I don't consider myself to be a Neeld apologist, but I am prepared to see him given a chance to complete his rebuild and to have a full season with the team he has been aiming for. If he stays, we have far more chance of attracting better players (what player will want to come to us if we are going through yet another rebuild) and with a better playing group we will either start to achieve more onfield success or, at the very least, be a more attractive prospect for any available experienced coaches in 2015 after Neeld's contract has run its full term.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 2

I agree with Hardtack and Jazza, all of us are not Neeld apologists, but we have watched the Club try to start again with Bailey, fail for a myriad of reasons, then start again with Neeld who decided to start at the very bottom again and do want posters on this board want, instil a winning culture.

Look back at the teams who have achieved this, it took time and a lot of heartache, we are just over 18 months in, we get glimpses, we might if you add all the quarters up, have just about played one full game at the desired level.

Neeld is not a magiician with an unlimited budget, yes attract good players, but they want good money, we are not in the position to do that, so we will have to develop our own, but it takes time

He has got two realy good people in Misson (the injury list and the fitness of the players show his bit is starting to work) and Craig (his work is behinkd the scenes, to see some go and watch Casey at the moment and some of the young guys)

I have been absolutely horrified by some of the football that has been served up in the first few games, my wrist and forearm are still bruised and sore from smashing them into the seat in front of me during the Essendon game.

But I believe we are on the right track, we just need to let everyting develop and hold our nerve

As I have mentioned before, ringing around trying to get members on board, speak to a lot of supporters/members, the belief is starting to return, understanding it may not be pretty, but now is not the time to panic, and they are gtetting back on board

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1