• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

if we keep Mark for 2014 as coach then you will see a even more disorganised confused unconfident group of players!

As I sure he will start rebuild number 3.

My bet for 2014 if he still coach is the MFC will recuit 16 new inexperince player.

interesting reading back on old newspapers 2012

cant believe malthouse recomended this assistant

hes had all the draft picks and hasnt got them performing

this team is a rabble

they have no gameplan

somebody will have to take over

the coach may have been a great assistant at collingwood under mm but hes no good in the main job

these quotes were about guy mckenna

now were singing his and the gc praises in less than 10 weeks

amazing what sticking to the plan and waiting will do

• Like 2

if we keep Mark for 2014 as coach then you will see a even more disorganised confused unconfident group of players!

As I sure he will start rebuild number 3.

My bet for 2014 if he still coach is the MFC will recuit 16 new inexperince player.

I keep wondering why it is that Casey Scorps can play ,albeit at the VFL level, like a team, have a go and be motivated and the Seniors cannot Why is it so?

I keep wondering why it is that Casey Scorps can play ,albeit at the VFL level, like a team, have a go and be motivated and the Seniors cannot Why is it so?

it couldn't be anything to do with the coach, could it?

• Like 2

Our list is OK quality across the entire squad, but with insufficient quality depth in the midfield to impact at AFL level.

My feeling based on nothing other than a gut feel is that the game against the Hawks will be Neeld's last in charge of the MFC unless: We beat the Hawks or make a reasonable fist of it.

There is a board meeting Monday. I would love to know what is on the Agenda (possibly structural change?) What do you think will be on the agenda?

was just thinking wouldnt it be a great way to extend this forum by appointing neeld until 2016 at mondays board meeting

that would get the school teachers fired up

was just thinking wouldnt it be a great way to extend this forum by appointing neeld until 2016 at mondays board meeting

that would get the school teachers fired up

By extend do you mean grind to a halt DoS style?

thatssotrue_5061_1331909117.gif

• Like 1

By extend do you mean grind to a halt DoS style?

thatssotrue_5061_1331909117.gif

it would be just like that

would really pick my mondays up and make milking cows easier

Very good post I agree completly

It is all about trust and confidence in team mates

We are not playing as a team

If I were to criticise Neeld it is for his complete inability to get the players trust and have them play as a team

I Have never ever seen a more disorganised confused hesitant unconfident group of players

No wonder we are getting smashed

Neither have i Jack.

Although i did see patches of some quick/decent ball use by hand, a little spread, as well as some blocking and protecting of players against the Tigers. I also finally saw some run and carry with successive clean possessions, again by hand, in that match. But it was patchy and mixed in with some atrocious passages of play and PW efforts too. We also have to be carefull about comparing our results against the Tigers in this regard as they are one of the worst tackling/pressure sides in the AFL atm and after watching them live that day, i wasn't overly impressed with them as a major threat to anyone who's aleady in the top 8. I didn't see the Dockers match, but i can only assume from what everyone is saying that the Dockers are a mile ahead in that tackling/pressure side. Hence the belting.

In addition most of our boys "instinctively" look to roll out "away" from the corridor and look boundary side for the give off, instead of what most solid teams/instinctive AFL players do and look "seriously" inside as the first option before playing it safe up the line or towards the boundary if they can't. Not sure if this is "under instruction" as part of the Neeld way, or just lack of confidence taking the safer option as a 1st priority. Don't get me wrong, some players give a quick glance inside as their first option but i don't think they're willing to wait and actually go for a hit up lead inside or take a chance and run off towards the corridor. Very seldom anyway. Most just take the safer option even though, at times, the inside corridor is the better choice for the next passage of play and the team.

This must be hell for attacking/running players like Evans, Blease, Rodan and M Jones as they work hard to get free/run forward calling for the receive, often to find the player they should be getting the quick give off from (or maybe the old 1 2 after they've just given it to that same player) instead stops in his tracks and looks to give it backwards or laterally to someone behind or on the outside (Terlich/Mckenzie have shown instances of this habbit in past games and moments). instead of giving it off quickly/instinctively to that player who's worked his arse off to get free. There's no basic understanding of just playing attacking, spreading/overlap style of football. Neeld must take some or much of the blame here.

We're incapable of playing a fast moving, spreading/run/overlap game anymore for more than a few minutes, that will force our opponent to pay us respect when they haven't got the ball and CHASE our arses when we do finally have it. It's chicken and egg as well because i truly believe that some within our playing group just haven't been given the skills to pull off the fast 1/2 or 3 gives/receives in close without turning it over too often. It's a SKILL SET/BELIEF issue on one hand, combined with some dumb football (footballers) and a lack of "effort" from many.

We are 2nd into the loose ball contest as well. Allowing the opponent to dictate, in some cases (eg Sellar in the last quarter against the Tigers) just letting the opponent leave the congested area (even though they are right next to them and CAN lay a tackle!) with the ball, without genuinly contesting.

The penny finally sunk on Neeld a few weeks back that we need to start winning games. Hard to believe but i think true, and he's now trying to instill the SKILLS required to pull off fast ball movement and a run/spread/overlap style into the boy's play and psyche in order to finally hit the scoreboard (ie., attack) and win! I think it might be too little too late to save him but one never knows.

If he can get some degree of aspects from this last para into them and get the belief/confidence up amongst enough of the players AND they can pull a win out against a big scalp like the filth..... you never know.

If he can't and the players are just not capable of implementing Neeld's massive skill and quick ball movement emphasis (in training) into the game in the last 3 to 4 weeks, then he's toast IMO.

I just watched his latest episode on MFC website. Bloody hell! Same old rhetoric and a touch of arrogance thrown in.

I know it is his mantra to talk the age and inexperience of our list, however we are bloody sick of hearing it Mark.

Lets get this show on the road in a hurry or we are all going to go nuts!

From the AFL site today:

"Although the Hawks will go in overwhelming favourites, Neeld said the team believed it could win."

Now the anti-Neeld brigade can start a new thread potting him for making unrealistic over-confident statements.

• Like 5

From the AFL site today:

"Although the Hawks will go in overwhelming favourites, Neeld said the team believed it could win."

Now the anti-Neeld brigade can start a new thread potting him for making unrealistic over-confident statements.

No Sue, there is no point in wasting energy by lambasting the cliche ridden world which is that of all coaches. While some on here won't accept it, most critics stick to the facts. Of course there are always exceptions.

From the AFL site today:

The anti Neeld brigade would fill the MCG at this point in time.

I think you will find that they actually WON'T fill the MCG.

• Like 4

From the AFL site today:

One of the thing a lot have been saying is he ever talks about winning a game.

So finally he decides to talk about trying to get a win.

• Like 1

Are you that fat Soidee?

Try gastric band surgery. Worked for Joe Hockey.

Meanwhile ...

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/moloney-left-demons-after-snub-over-captaincy-20130530-2neuh.html

I'm sure that both the pro and anti camps will find something in there to satisfy them.

The way I see it is there is Neeld's list management and home truths to the players and there is Neeld's educating players and training players in footy.

They get lumped together because it's all one job (which is fair) but I actually don't mind Neeld's job at the first the problem is he's either lost the players or just can't teach the players in the second.

I hope Robbo wasn't speaking out of turn on this. If so he's a strange choice for leaking spokesman given he has a job at the club.

From the pro Moloney point he probably dropped his head more because he wasn't even in the leadership group. Titles are important to people and I think he probably deserved a shot in the leadership group. To be left out of it entirely was where Neeld went too far but then Moloney's subsequent actions seemed to reinforce Neeld's point. Which is all good until you lose a capable (but with limits) player.

Love his comment on Stef Martin. Despite Pedersen's failings (as a forward/ruck anyway) I still think we made the right call on this bloke.

Meanwhile ...

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/moloney-left-demons-after-snub-over-captaincy-20130530-2neuh.html

I'm sure that both the pro and anti camps will find something in there to satisfy them.

He wasn't made captain because he isnt a leaders bootlace.

And now hes a confirmed crybaby.

Good one Beamer.

Great article by the way, iits good to hear PJ is in the trenches giving people some home truths.

Also great to hear that Robbo thins Col will definitely stay at the MFC.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

From where i sit Neeld appears to want the "whole" player group to be this ultimate "competitive"/defensive" unit, all trying to lock down on their opponents and cause as many stoppages as possible when things get ugly (the 2010 Collingwood style or something similar). The problem with this style/mind set is that creative/running players and outside mids (and even runners off HB to a lessor degree) then forget to do what they're best at, that's running/spreading away from the contest, creating overlap and taking risks to move the ball quickly down the field to leading forwards or forwards that are one out against their opponent because we've isolated them with quick ball movement and/or separation by our other forwards leading away from key targets.

And once you fall behind (on the scoreboard) playing such a defensive style with such a defensive mentallity with most on ballers concentrated close to the contest, and you do this most of the time, you're attacking side (both quick attacks from congestion and counter attacks off HB) seize up even more as you're trying to lock down even harder ....it's all a downhill slide to oblivion from there IMO. Attack is one of the best forms of defense. Make the opposition chase us for a change and get them into a defensive mind set and fatigue them chasing OUR tail. And what happens when we do this? We hit the scoreboard more often (in theory) putting further presssure on the opponent to be accountable on us, instead of the other way around.

Also most quality teams have a good "balance" of player types and skills and they allow their players to use those skils/talents, albeit within a particular game style and preferred structure. But they let them play and do what the Coach has recognised they do best. Neeld seems to want a particular "defensive/contested competitive" style from most players and expects them to change accordingly and morph into it, instead of playing them to their strengths whilst slowly but surely implementing a defensive side as they go over 2 to 3 seasons.

Unfortunately for him, he appears to have skewed his focus way too soon and too overwhelmingly (for this group anyway) on an all out combative/defensive game style and mind set at the expense of attack, flair, quick ball movement....and most importantly,SKILLS SKILLS SKILLS in order to maintain possession....SCORE....and ultimately WIN.

I'd agree. I think if anything this highlights that Neeld is the knee jerk reaction to Bailey's coaching style, which was all-out attack. Essentially, Neeld is the polar opposite of Bailey. But as you say, with such an emphasis on defence, it has stifled the players and their impulses.

Bailey was not all out attack. Under Bailey our defence was one of the best in the league in the first half of 2010. Frawley AA that year too. The problem was our midfield then and it is now.

The fact that we were beating any team in 2010 and 2011 with that midfield was a testament to good forward and backline coaching and good young talent. Our big losses always stemming from the sheer tide of ball coming in through the average midfield. No gameplan can stop that.

• Like 3