Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

If the board sack neeld they better have a replacement close to signed up for next year. I can already picture neeld gone and then the board fumble and stumble their way through the process and we end up with another untried coach in 2014. If the board already believe that the replacement coach is a better option then that's fine by me. But don't sack a coach in the hope that a premiership coach might say yes.

Yeah that was the problem the first time too. We need to get Paul Roos or Rodney Eade and start the appointment immediately. Best case scenario I imagine is;

1) Sign Eade or Roos up immediately for heaps of $$.

2) Board pays Neeld's payout out of their own pockets.

3) Board and prez resign and we find a new board.

4) Clean slate for the club and players

5) The players that are rotten become very quickly apparent to our seasoned coach and are dealt with.

I truly believe that in this scenario it wont take too long before we start seeing some seriously good committed and structured football again and Dees are playing finals in 2017.

• Like 1

Yeah that was the problem the first time too. We need to get Paul Roos or Rodney Eade and start the appointment immediately. Best case scenario I imagine is;

5) The players that are rotten become very quickly apparent to our seasoned coach and are dealt with.

I truly believe that in this scenario it wont take too long before we start seeing some seriously good committed and structured football again and Dees are playing finals in 2017.

I agree, hard to see it being as bad as people say

So there are 2 strains of thought;

1. Keep the status quo

Or

2. MFC revolution

Where's rangerover when you need him. I'd love a poll.

I think the adminstrators made it tonatopia proof. ;-)

RR and WYL are annoying Demonology with their rubbish.

Not sure I understand how this works.

If they turned around and got Mark Williams agreeing to coach us and we beat GWS by 10 goals, would they re think it or has neeld done his dash?

If the board are approaching other coaches then it doesn't matter what Neeld does his days are done just as Ratten's were. Carlton got rid of Ratten because they believed Mick would be a better coach for them . If we are to sack Neeld I hope it is because we have someone in waiting.

Definitely M Jones - his attitude, (that would be expected at top clubs, btw) has been amazing and infectious.

Leader written all over him.

We can probably assume that part of this attitude came by his association with Hawthorn via the Box Hill Hawks. Perhaps this is why we haven't yet recruited any players from Casey...

We can probably assume that part of this attitude came by his association with Hawthorn via the Box Hill Hawks. Perhaps this is why we haven't yet recruited any players from Casey...

Further, it had something to do with his desire.

His humility and pride at being drafted was unparalleled.

It shows in the way he plays the game and the way he is improving different aspects of the way he goes about in each of his 3 games to date.

If you think m.jones is going to turn our fortunes, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jumbo, you r a true blue collar. Good on ya.

Don't be stupid, hang in there u guys till the end of the year, we'll beat gws by at least 5 goals.

If we beat GWS by 5 goals and Carlton loses to West Coast [at Patterson's Stadium] does that mean that Neeld is better than Malthouse because we happen to be above Carlton on the ladder? Wake up everybody and have some faith in Neeld [or at laest give him a chance]!

Last year I was savaged by posters on this site for pointing out the bleeding obvious. I will state it again.

Neeld is missing a major skill required to have success as a senior coach. This is the skill to be able to get the most out of your players. Neeld has no ability to create the confidence and self belief required to be an AFL coach. The number of players who play as a shadow of the players they were prior to last season in staggering. Virtually all players have gone backwards despite them being mostly low draft picks, young and up coming. I watch as our x players who were moved on suddenly find there lost ability at new clubs and point to this as further evidence. At the same time our recruits from other clubs suddenly struggle to get a kick, struggle to play.

I said it last year and I will say it again now. Neeld is not our man. He may be tough and smart, he may have a good footy brain but he is missing the skill of installing self belief and confidence while still being tough. He must be sacked ASAP. The perfomances since he became coach have been beyond appauling. Come season end we will see another wave of our better players asking to be traded or leaving through free agency if we don't get someone in who can install the most important thing in football........ self belief. Further we will be unable to trade for any quality recruit as the MFC will continue to seen as poison for any players career. We must get rid of Neeld before more damage is done.

Absolutely spot on best most accurate post I have read in a long time

To those worried about finding a new coach there are plenty of quality coaches which we could try and get: Williams, Sheedy, Roos, Ayres, Matthews, Thompson or Ratten

• Like 1

I find it amusing that people here think sacking Neeld will magically solve all the problems...

how superior of you!

I don't think anyone is suggesting sacking Neeld would "magically solve all the problems."

What I think is, if the orchestra cannot play together, and the conductor says he has no idea why, and he's had a go at changing the personnel, but still they cannot do the basics together, then persevering with the embarrassment of dreadful gigs is neither sensible nor economically viable, and the conductor clearly isn't able to fix things. You need to look for a different conductor who has different ideas, and who can try something different, to get everyone in tune and playing together. Neeld appears to me to have his eyes fixed too far above the basics, and is imposing a repertoire that does not suit these players. He also belittles them - a bit like the way you have sneered at his detractors. Not calculated to win anyone around - that'd be right, wouldn't it?

The fact is, things like tackling, shepherding and running to make a lead - these are not superstar acts. They are not failings due to the players lacking talent. You and I could have a go at those things. If the coach cannot get those things happening, for whatever reason, he is not able to do his job.

How long it will take to repair the mess - who knows? The question at the moment is, do we have any reason to believe Neeld is going to be able to do it? If not, based on the evidence, then the second question to ask is, how long can we afford to run the place down this way? Because these thrashings are destructive and corrosive; left for long enough, they must end up terminal.

I can't see Neeld making progress on the basics, or on the big picture (game-plan). No identifiable good results. I can see disorganised and demoralised players, trying to hold on, endlessly reiterating how much they are behind Neeldy (like all last year's talk about "buying in"), but not keeping their heads up. Lots of inarguable evidence there - the whole football world is beginning to feel awkward about Melbourne. I'm not supposing anything magic is going to happen, no matter what we do. But I really would like what is happening now to stop. I don't think we can justify letting it continue.

• Like 9

Last year I was savaged by posters on this site for pointing out the bleeding obvious. I will state it again.

Neeld is missing a major skill required to have success as a senior coach. This is the skill to be able to get the most out of your players. Neeld has no ability to create the confidence and self belief required to be an AFL coach. The number of players who play as a shadow of the players they were prior to last season in staggering. Virtually all players have gone backwards despite them being mostly low draft picks, young and up coming. I watch as our x players who were moved on suddenly find there lost ability at new clubs and point to this as further evidence. At the same time our recruits from other clubs suddenly struggle to get a kick, struggle to play.

I said it last year and I will say it again now. Neeld is not our man. He may be tough and smart, he may have a good footy brain but he is missing the skill of installing self belief and confidence while still being tough. He must be sacked ASAP. The perfomances since he became coach have been beyond appauling. Come season end we will see another wave of our better players asking to be traded or leaving through free agency if we don't get someone in who can install the most important thing in football........ self belief. Further we will be unable to trade for any quality recruit as the MFC will continue to seen as poison for any players career. We must get rid of Neeld before more damage is done.

. I

I absolutely agree. And 2 more disasters as bad as R1 have proven your point.

A couple of other points.I have had the opportunity to speak informally with several players. The suggestion that they are not trying is absurd. They are perplexed, confused, surprised how far off the pace they are but they are trying as hard as they can. Incidentally in our discussions there was no hint of disloyalty to Neeld.

Secondly there is an increasing realization that the team is much worse than under Bailey. Why have the attacking aspects of the Bailey gameplan been lost?

The distinctive feature--and perhaps the only positive-- is that within the ranks there is an experienced, successful coach in Neil Craig. Until his last year at Adelaide he was extremely successful. I believe he has said he won't coach. I would move heaven and earth to get him to--personally I would offer him until the end of 2014.

The decision to appoint Neeld was not bad or stupid. Recriminations are of no use. But occasionally an appointment doesn't work. Look at TIm Watson at St K. But I now believe that with our list we need someone who doesn't need to prove himself, who doesn't need to suggest that the list he inherited was bad (although I like Neeld personally I'm disgusted at his insinuation that the previous admin was/is responsible for the club's plight--it isn't) and who can exert a mature influence over a list which can play. When much less experienced it won significant games.

We have 18 rounds to go after this week. Make the move now. It's sad but must happen

• Like 6

Speaking of Matt Jones. Just found this photo of him in younger days. Perhaps explains why he took until his mid 20's to make it. He's clearly dropped quite a bit of weight and maybe he realised that hard work was needed and has not stopped since

21963221o.jpg
Good on him. He's definitely been one of our best so far and very consistent it seems.
  • Like 1

Just heard on AFL 360 that the Dees (that came from Dwayne Russell on 3AW) have had a 'what if' meeting with Todd Viney....

The discussion centred around a possible loss on Sunday....

No thanks.

• Like 1

Definitely M Jones - his attitude, (that would be expected at top clubs, btw) has been amazing and infectious.

Leader written all over him.

I watched him watch and walk at one stage the other day, while Viney chased after two Eagles on his own. Talk about a low base.

Not Eade. For a guy that has made one grand final, with copious attempts, it is staggering how often his name comes up. I don't hear Daniher's name anymore, but he has had just as much success, if not more.

Just heard on AFL 360 that the Dees (that came from Dwayne Russell on 3AW) have had a 'what if' meeting with Todd Viney.... The discussion centred around a possible loss on Sunday....

I hope so,Viney showed more coaching flare in a handful of games then Neeld has in a year and a half.

Viney Vacume anyone?

Edited by olisik