James Magner's Instagram today

That's like saying it's okay to abuse a liney because your power bill was too high. "We" don't pay the players, and even if we did it doesn't buy us the right to treat them like dogs.

maybe you ought to understand the context of his post before lambasting us

• Like 1

To be fair to James Magner he is one of the few players who actually puts in when he does play. His tweeted response is understandable as he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he should have been upgraded to the main list and unlike some of the other players he does have a family to support. I sympathise with him but he should not bite when fans have a crack at the team. If the opposition bags him then that is a different matter, but we all want better Melbourne performances on the field.

• Like 2

Magner well within his rights to say that. Supporters should get a life or take up amateur football to get some insight into how [censored] hard football is.

It's arguably harder when you have followed the club for years and are much more passionate about the colours than many of the players obviously are. They get ample financial compensation anyway.

A bit of context though. This is the comment Magner has reacted aggressively towards: "The entire team should be forced to watch a replay of yesterdays game. It's embarrassing to be Melbourne supporter at the moment..."

Pretty inoffensive, just honest. There are a hundred better, smarter, more positive ways that Magner could've responded to one of HIS fans than the one he chose.

Yeah, that's true, it does seem pretty innocuous. And if I were in his shoes I'd lay pretty low, I certainly wouldn't have a twitter account if I were a player. I still stand by my comments about abusing players online as being outside the rights of supporters though.

I only comment on the words I read, Bub. If there's some context you want me to pick up, try putting it in your post.

try reading the thread

point being the only context needed was there in the OP !!

Magner bought in... eos

Edited by belzebub59

I have no problem with what Magner said if the club doesn't.

I will say though the players do need to show some restraint lest they go beyond that one person and indirectly insult a larger audience.

I'm sure Magner was peeved but as a supporter I don't think it's a good look to take the high ground as an AFL player and reduce the common supporter to a nobody who is there just to pay the wages. Players are human like the rest of us and but they have to be careful with their social networkings I think.

Personally I don't go near twitter or Instagram and occasionally log into Facebook because they are all mostly balls but each to their own.

Bloody hell. They are not even humble.

It's worse than i thought!!

this isn't about Melbourne players attitude wise, this is whats happening to the game.

The AFL game thinks its passed the supporters by, & it treats us like Milkers, to walk through the gates & cough up & sit down & shut up.

The whole AFL money machine is a disgrace of greed & arrogance.

the game, at this level, is just taking the supporters for granted.

I don't blame Magner for his defensiveness, as the whole club is really peddling uphill atmo, but the bigger picture is that those in the game are just smirking at us all.

They bring in a bigger footy records so they can milk us more on gameday, before we even reach the gates.

Then the bags are scrutinised for contraband Fanta & Chips on the way in, just to elevate the hackles a little bit more.

Just when you get into the ground, your favourite seat is unavailable, because they've reserved the grandstand to others, but it remains empty...Then we can't sit where we want.

The AFL are sectioning off areas into exclusivity, why, so they can charge us more.

... finally settled somewhere,, your hungry, you must be by now, or in need of comfort food & you don't have much thats apertising to counter the stressful procedures just getting to your seat. hot food to calm the nerves, but I didn't bring bank manager with me to cover the Loan required, to eat @ the 'G'.

Does anyone see the fleecing being dished out to one & all of us?

Is the game worth all this, & do we want the game to be this all devouring monster?

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 4

Yeah, that's true, it does seem pretty innocuous. And if I were in his shoes I'd lay pretty low, I certainly wouldn't have a twitter account if I were a player. I still stand by my comments about abusing players online as being outside the rights of supporters though.

Personal attacks on individuals yes. I think the team as a whole deserve every home truth they hear. They are a disgrace, as a collective.

this isn't about Melbourne players attitude wise, this is whats happening to the game.

The AFL game thinks its passed the supporters by, & it treats us like Milkers, to walk through the gates & cough up & sit down & shut up.

The whole AFL money machine is a disgrace of greed & arrogance.

the game, at this level, is just taking the supporters for granted.

I don't blame Magner for his defensiveness, as the whole club is really peddling uphill atmo, but the bigger picture is that those in the game are just smirking at us all.

They bring in a bigger footy records so they can milk us more on gameday, before we even reach the gates.

Then the bags are scrutinised for contraband Fanta & Chips on the way in, just to elevate the hackles a little bit more.

Just when you get into the ground, your favourite seat is unavailable, because they've reserved the grandstand to others, but it remains empty...Then we can't sit where we want.

The AFL are sectioning off areas into exclusivity, why, so they can charge us more.

... finally settled somewhere,, your hungry, you must be by now, or in need of comfort food & you don't have much thats apertising to counter the stressful procedures just getting to your seat. hot food to calm the nerves, but I didn't bring bank manager with me to cover the Loan required, to eat @ the 'G'.

Does anyone see the fleecing being dished out to one & all of us?

Is the game worth all this, & do we want the game to be this all devouring monster?

slightly off topic rant there DL. Just slightly.
  • Like 1

I think the players know we are over them .

No need to stalk.

Funny ,but I've never seen Demonland so united.

Seems we have a common enemy.

That thought occurred to me also, in past times of great stress like this, there has always been at least a few characters telling the rest to harden up, stay patient, look for the positives, support the boys etc. This time around it seems even the most ardent optimists have spat the dummy. Another terrible indictment on the club.

I think some people posting here are missing the point. I agree that it's not cool to jump on social media and attack the players, however maybe the players need to be a bit smarter and not jump on social media and post pics of them enjoying a surf the day after 'that'. I'm not saying they should have locked themselves in a room either, but maybe just have a bit of a quiet week on the instagram. Y'know, the old bull and red rag thing.

Edited by LegsLeoncelli
  • Like 3

What do you expect him to say? Leave him alone. Very uncool.

nothing

do-ers do. talkers talk

theyd all be wiser ( and more respectful ) to just not comment and work harder. They arent coming from a position of strength here

It's arguably harder when you have followed the club for years and are much more passionate about the colours than many of the players obviously are. They get ample financial compensation anyway.

As a rookie he gets bugger all, $50k at the most I'd think.

Leave the bloke alone, he has a fair point.

Whether he does or not, that's a pathetic response. He should know that, as an AFL player, people are going to express emotion at your, or the team's, performance.

His analogy to going to someone else's workplace isn't fair, as 'regular' people don't get paid what AFL players get paid (yes, Magner's a rookie, but in general), and it's quite freaking obvious that part of being an AFL player is dealing with limelight, criticism, media focuses, and general public commentary.

I understand his frustration, and in fact I enjoy knowing that he's passionate about defending the club and Jones/Bail. But he could have done that in a remotely intellectual way, rather than just mouthing off.

If I was on the MFC list, I'd be keeping a veeeeeeeeeery low social media profile ATM. With a bit of perception, and appropriate media training from the club, Magner should possibly consider making his profiles closed to the general public and not take the bait when challenged by supporters. Honestly, Magner should've known better. Will he learn from this?

• Like 5

What the f___ are we doing?

Stalking players on social media?

rpfc...in many respects Magner instagated his own mess by broadcasting a poorly thought out pic.

If he isnt aware of this , he ought to be made so. Im many respects ppl werent stalking, just reacting to what they saw as a provocation.

welcome to media 2013 style

rpfc...in many respects Magner instagated his own mess by broadcasting a poorly thought out pic.

If he isnt aware of this , he ought to be made so. Im many respects ppl werent stalking, just reacting to what they saw as a provocation.

welcome to media 2013 style

We have players out there who have the temerity to live their lives after a loss.

We shouldn't be attacking them for it.

If you want to know why they weren't getting lashed at AAMI - talk to someone at the club.

I am not going to tell the players that there life is forfeit if they lose, and I will not condone Demons stalking and attacking Demons online.

• Like 4