Training - Wednesday 13th March, 2013

Very underrated around here.

His kicking skills are elite compared to most of his colleagues.

Has been our best player in the Nab cup.

The way Dunn has turned around his game has been amazing. A couple of years ago I wrote him off, he couldn't mark over his head, was arrogant and lazy. Now he reads the play so well and his disposal is top notch.

He's made me look like a dill ever since and I love it, he is now a very underrated player

Jamar, Spencer, Pedersen, Sellar, Fitzpatrick, Clark.

Jamar was very good against St KIlda, but we couldn't get first hand to the ball after his tap work, that is not his fault. Did you watch it?

Against the Saints who was his opponent - Blake?

• Like 1

I also watched an entire team miss a comedian from 30 metres and while I believe that we will make significant strides this year this probably sums up where we are at the moment.

No pressure kicks from this distance and some missed by 10-15 metres is not good enough at this level.

Had been really upbeat by the standard shown at training up until then and by the amount of players listed as injured but participating at various levels, many joined the main group in full training.

I also watched an entire team miss a comedian from 30 metres and while I believe that we will make significant strides this year this probably sums up where we are at the moment.

No pressure kicks from this distance and some missed by 10-15 metres is not good enough at this level.

Had been really upbeat by the standard shown at training up until then and by the amount of players listed as injured but participating at various levels, many joined the main group in full training.

If I had a free shot at Dave Hughes from 30m, I'd most likely miss too. I'd be spearing it that hard at the [censored] that it would be sure to spray off the side of my boot.

Best solution for me would've been to keep running when I got to the 30m mark, and start to wind up about 3 metres from him.

If I had a free shot at Dave Hughes from 30m, I'd most likely miss too. I'd be spearing it that hard at the [censored] that it would be sure to spray off the side of my boot.

Best solution for me would've been to keep running when I got to the 30m mark, and start to wind up about 3 metres from him.

Personally I wouldn't have bothered with a ball either.
  • Like 4

So seriously not one of them managed to hit him from 30 metres? That's almost sad. He'd be well within his rights to use that as material. Maybe it can take the place of his bit about "Snakes Alive".

• Like 1

So seriously not one of them managed to hit him from 30 metres? That's almost sad. He'd be well within his rights to use that as material. Maybe it can take the place of his bit about "Snakes Alive".

Watched something like 5 out of seven Swans players hit a coke can off a perch 3/4s up a goal post from around 30m last year that was impressive.

When Dunn stops backing in looking for free kicks ,when I see him with his first focus on getting possesion and choosing the right target rather than niggling and elbowing the opposition in the ribs as they hussle the ball out of bounds.

Then I'll call him the first player to clearly show the benefits of having a new coaching team.

It does look to be a possibility though

How many ruckman do you want?

Jamar, Spencer, Pedersen, Sellar, Fitzpatrick, Clark...Jamar was very good against St KIlda, but we couldn't get first hand to the ball after his tap work, that is not his fault..did you watch it?

To me the problem with Jamar the last couple of years is he wins the tap but then that's the end of his involvement until the ball is bounced again.

Plus, surely by now someone in the coaching staff would have some more set plays to get our mids the ball like Moloney used to with Jamar.

Watched something like 5 out of seven Swans players hit a coke can off a perch 3/4s up a goal post from around 30m last year that was impressive.

err that was an ad wasn't it?? Filmed over three days??

You'd love those James Bond documentaries...

• Like 4

To me the problem with Jamar the last couple of years is he wins the tap but then that's the end of his involvement until the ball is bounced again.

Plus, surely by now someone in the coaching staff would have some more set plays to get our mids the ball like Moloney used to with Jamar.

Agree with both of these statements. Hopefully with our game plan coming closer to fruition there'll be less instances of kicking it to Jamar on the boundary surrounded by 3 opposition players and he'll be able to make an impact as an occasional one-on-one marking target. Not giving us much of anything around the ground at the moment.

Hoping to see more movement in the centre square from mids this year as well. Jamar can get all the taps he likes but it's useless if they're all going to a stationary target.

• Like 1

Isn't the word out that Mitch Clark will be playing for Casey in a practice match against Port Melbourne next week? If true, I suppose that will give some sort of indication as to his level of match fitness, from which the club can make their next call.

Id wait another month for Clark.. just to be sure.

I still cant believe how well he played last year. Hes so important to us.. Id say, 'Youve ticked all the boxes clarky. Well done. Everything is good - youre ready to go! Now lets wait another month.'

Am i being paranoid? Yes. But we wont play finals this year anyway.. so no big rush.

We need him 2015-2020.

It's a nice theory but big Maxy doesn't move too well up forward and neither does the Russian...

Really? My early memory of Gawn is him busting out 35 from goal at the G, on a lead and marking the ball superbly - arms outstreched in front of his eyes. Dunstall-esque even!

Kicking needs some work tho..

err that was an ad wasn't it?? Filmed over three days??

Yeah, lol.. Rugby players were doing something similar at the same time iirc

DEEZEE! Great effort with your 'on the spot' reporting.. Young Dee too, for his / her thoughts..

Cheers for all reports.

Id wait another month for Clark.. just to be sure.

I still cant believe how well he played last year. Hes so important to us.. Id say, 'Youve ticked all the boxes clarky. Well done. Everything is good - youre ready to go! Now lets wait another month.'

Am i being paranoid? Yes. But we wont play finals this year anyway.. so no big rush.

We need him 2015-2020.

I get the feeling the MFC is pinning lot on the opening game against Port and will be pushing extra hard to get the season off to a winning start... there is too much at stake in terms of credibility, respect, media pressure and membership numbers. Even though this is only Port, a loss would be quite damaging. This is why I think they will be doing all they can to get Mitch (and possibly Trengove and Blease) up for that match... but I'm equally sure sanity will prevail if there is any doubt at all about his/their fitness.
  • Like 3

I get the feeling the MFC is pinning lot on the opening game against Port and will be pushing extra hard to get the season off to a winning start... there is too much at stake in terms of credibility, respect, media pressure and membership numbers. Even though this is only Port, a loss would be quite damaging. This is why I think they will be doing all they can to get Mitch (and possibly Trengove and Blease) up for that match... but I'm equally sure sanity will prevail if there is any doubt at all about his/their fitness.

After watching David Misson's injury report it sounds like the VFL practice match at Casey the weekend before the start of the season could have an all-star line up. Clark, Trengove, and Dawes should play with possibly Gawn and Blease adding to the MFC numbers. Also Misson's comment about Viney's neck and him feeling a bit 'hazy' makes me wonder if he'll skip the Qld trip for Casey instead. A perfect centre square Gawn tap to the roving Viney could hopefully signal the beginning of a beautiful AFL partnership.

• Like 1

Just a point....it pleases me so much that the redemption of Lynden Dunn is nearly complete............the unfortunate side effect being some posters on here will need a new whipping boy.........even I thought Dunny was a bit like Matt Bate always gave his absolute best but couldn't nail a possie in the team.......have even more faith in Neeld and co who have taken him and turned him into a rebounding defencer with an awful lot of upside.....he is just settling into the role.....could be anything there...and from what I have seen at training and games could be in for a big season

Dunney is a fine example of a player who was on the edge of being delisted and made the effort to buy into Neeld's plans. I would not have been surprised if he had been given his marching orders at the end of 2011 but obviously Neeld saw something in him apart from his excellent kicking skills and he has been proven right with Dunney's great NAB performances. I am really pleased for him because it shows the younger brigade what rewards hard work brings.

• Like 4

Dunney is a fine example of a player who was on the edge of being delisted and made the effort to buy into Neeld's plans. I would not have been surprised if he had been given his marching orders at the end of 2011 but obviously Neeld saw something in him apart from his excellent kicking skills and he has been proven right with Dunney's great NAB performances. I am really pleased for him because it shows the younger brigade what rewards hard work brings.

Thanks longsuffering, at least you can see there is a future, unlike most of the posters on here who want instant gratification, everybody knows how long since an MFC flag, we get constantly reminded on here, but at least in the next few years we are on the way to having a really good crack at it

Please stop pumping Dunn up guys, he's played half a decent season. Lets wait until he's played a good year and not sidestepped contact and acted like a tool on the field for most games.

Why not pump up Dunn? Carlton supporters are pumping up Brock and he has only played half a decent season (last year). What is wrong with pumping up one of our own players who has similarly improved after many years of mediocrity? Maybe even Slyvia will emulate Brock this year?

• Like 4