Jeremy Howe and Col Sylvia

Two very talented players who are capable of a speccy and 55 meter goal. But both fade in and out of games and barely ever get in our best, and are low possession getters.

These 2 boys could seriously help us rise up the ladder with their potential 'a' grade talent, but just can't put it together for 4 quarters.

What are their best positions?

Can they take their game to a higher level, or is this as good as it gets?

Two players who could give a lot more IMO

just don't know how to solve a problem like Sylvia....

How do you solve a problem like Col Sylvia?

How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

How do you find a word that means Col Sylvia?

A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Man, I need sleep.

• Like 11

How do you solve a problem like Col Sylvia?

How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

How do you find a word that means Col Sylvia?

A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Man, I need sleep.

Haha nah mate, you're doing fine, got it spot on!

Two very talented players who are capable of a speccy and 55 meter goal. But both fade in and out of games and barely ever get in our best, and are low possession getters.

These 2 boys could seriously help us rise up the ladder with their potential 'a' grade talent, but just can't put it together for 4 quarters.

What are their best positions?

Can they take their game to a higher level, or is this as good as it gets?

Two players who could give a lot more IMO

I would not put Howe in the same boat as Sylvia, no way, he is a 2 year player coming into his 3rd for a start. Playing with Casey he showed enough to push into the senior team half way through his first season and developed further last year putting in a consistent season.

Don't mistake his spectacular marking for a lack of effort in other parts of his game, he works hard at it, he runs, he chases, he tackles, he trains hard. To me he is exactly where he should be as a player at the moment and I would expect to see him improve further this season.

• Like 4

I would not put Howe in the same boat as Sylvia, no way, he is a 2 year player coming into his 3rd for a start. Playing with Casey he showed enough to push into the senior team half way through his first season and developed further last year putting in a consistent season.

Don't mistake his spectacular marking for a lack of effort in other parts of his game, he works hard at it, he runs, he chases, he tackles, he trains hard. To me he is exactly where he should be as a player at the moment and I would expect to see him improve further this season.

Well said. He is like Robbo with the defensive efforts. Has been very good in a team that is poor.

Sylvia would no doubt thrive in a good team. We are just not there right now. He is also been one dimensional. Always thought he had a weak left foot and played a bit too outside when we werent getting the pill.

Same as tapscott and blease, who don't get it a lot.but could see them improve if the team gets truelly competitive and they can just play their role, and not the role of save the sinking ship.

Howe has had a great preseason, but is struggling a little with his new role. Last year he was regularly up on a wing as he was part of the midfield rotations, but this year he's playing a permanent forward role. And when you're not a key forward it's not an easy gig. You'll have the odd great quarter, or even game, but they don't call it starvation corner for nothing.

Sylvia just isn't a great midfielder. He's not creative and lacks awareness. He's a great finisher and power runner, so I'd rather him on a HFF and Blease on the wing. At the moment it's the other way around.

• Like 2

If we had more natural, skilled midfielders on the list over the last decade, it would have been interesting to see how Col would have developed as a permanent forward.

Can't really remember him playing close to goal too much... He may have suffered from being adept at most positions but not excelling at any of them.

Howe will be a great player. Has a knack for scoring tricky goals out of nothing, which we need desperately.

Howe has had a great preseason, but is struggling a little with his new role. Last year he was regularly up on a wing as he was part of the midfield rotations, but this year he's playing a permanent forward role. And when you're not a key forward it's not an easy gig. You'll have the odd great quarter, or even game, but they don't call it starvation corner for nothing.

Sylvia just isn't a great midfielder. He's not creative and lacks awareness. He's a great finisher and power runner, so I'd rather him on a HFF and Blease on the wing. At the moment it's the other way around.

I would hope to see him up the ground and in the rotations when the season proper starts, to me this is where his real value is to the team and he gives us much more than Col.

You're spot on about it not being an easy gig playing in what used to be called starvation corner.

Jack Dyer once called Carlton's Peter Bosustow - who was a flash in and out spectacular player - a "good, ordinary footballer". He was spot on.

Col Sylvia is exactly the same. He has all the skills, flair and look of an absolute gun but in reality, is just a good, ordinary footballer. We have held our breath for too long for him and now we look to Blease, Toumpas, Viney, etc...

Howe is a beauty. We haven't played a real game this year. Wait and see. He will show his worth again.

• Like 1

I've written Sylvia off. Never lived up to expectations and will always be remembered as an under achiever.

Howe needs to kick goals....speccys don't win games.

When was the last time we had a true champion who bled for the MFC....we need a Lenny Hayes type.

You're missing the point that Dyer was actually joking. It was tongue in cheek.

Disagree. Jack always had a smirk, but he never believed in Bosustow as anything more than a good ordinary player. He defended this view many times after being questioned on this.

• Like 2

2013 ... last season for Sylvia in red and blue ... probably 5-6 seasons too many

I do hope Sylvia has a good 'final year of contract' season, though.

I'd be looking to package up Colin and our first round draft pick in November (likely to be in the 4-8 range) for a ready made inside mid. Jones - himself not quite yet an A-grader - can't carry the engine room on his own as he waits for Viney and Toumpas to bloom. It must surely be THE recruiting priority at season's end.

Not sure who's out of contract but I'd be looking at big names like Daisy Thomas, Ryan Griffen and then slightly lesser ones like Nath Van Berlo, Rockliff, Prestia, Liam Shiels, Bastinac ... these types, and seeing if we can't shake one of them loose.

The next alternative is to go hard at one of the Giant's young guns with two years in the system, who want out and a return to Melbourne.

A hard at it A-grade mid or a B-level mid who has the tools to take his game to a new level should be the final piece in the Neeld jigsaw puzzle.

I do hope Sylvia has a good 'final year of conract' season, though.

I'd be looking to package up Colin and our first round draft pick in November (likely to be in the 4-8 range) for a ready made inside mid. Jones - himself not quite yet an A-grader - can't carry the engine room on his own as he waits for Viney and Toumpas to bloom. It must surely be THE recruiting priority at season's end.

Not sure who's out of contract but I'd be looking at big names like Daisy Thomas, Ryan Griffen and then slightly lesser ones like Nath Van Berlo, Rockliff, Prestia, Liam Shiels, Bastinac ... these types, and seeing if we can't shake one of them loose.

The next alternative is to go hard at one of the Giant's young guns with two years in the system, who want out and a return to Melbourne.

A hard at it A-grade mid or a B-level mid who has the tools to take his game to a new level should be the final piece in the Neeld jigsaw puzzle.

There's one major problem with that: he's an unrestricted free agent. We have absolutely no bargaining power with him. Ergo, the only player on that list we'd have a chance with is Daisy; as we'd have the salary cap space to offer him a massive contract.

My issue with daisy is that he is Sylvia in a side with a grade accumulators like Swan, Beams and Pendlebury. The only thing he'd bring is a top work ethic bourne of a top 4 side, when what we really need is a couple of accumulators of our own.

Sylvia got away with two many shortcuts as a new draft pick and now he's a middle aged player it's simply to late to adjust. He's not the only one, development and handing games had long been an issue for the MFC, but it's clear now that trend has been stopped by Neeld.

Do I think Sylvia has an impact to make for our team though? Hell yes I do.

Is he a disappointment as a player? No, but is he a disappointment as a pick 4, clearly yes.

The type of player Colin is are carried by all the successful teams. The problem is Xfactor players are never as successful in poor teams. Jared Brennan whilst still frustrating was excellent in at the time a top 8 Brisbane team; put him in a [censored] Gold Coast team and he plays 2's.

Sylvia and Watts along with Jones were our best players over the last 5-6 weeks of the season and that was primarily playing Colin as a high HFF with short sharp bursts in the centre, it was successful for both parties and I hope Mark continues with this into 2013.

I predict Sylvia to hit the market in 2014 but from all reports he is very much a Demons first kind of guy. I hope he turns a corner this year and commits so that he enjoys some time to shine in the Red and Blue.

• Like 1

Sylvia has all the tools to be the best player on our list and by a fair margin. The problem is that it has been the case for the past 5 years. He will be turning 28 by year's end and should've been entering his prime back when he was 22. Unless you are Lenny Hayes, Judd, etc you're best football as a mid at 28 is probably behind you.

I have been one of the biggest Sylvia fans, but even i concede that he will never live up to his abundant potential. He is not going to help our climb up the ladder. Come years end he should be traded or let go through FA.

As for Howe, he only has one real weakness in his game and that is goal-kicking. Fix that up and he will take the next step, but as Sylvia has taught me, i will only believe it when i see it.